Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-08-2021, 07:15 PM   #1341
Dion
Not a casual user

Exp:

The incredible story of Chris Sutter and how his bravery helped change the entire Sutter family.

Old 03-08-2021, 07:25 PM   #1342
GioforPM
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by djsFlames View Post
If we do, one of us will gladly drive that individual to the airport.

Either they're interested in graduating from their boy-ish, half-hearted, complacency-laden approach in the workplace to being men and consummate professionals that want to be part of an identity en route to winning at the sport they play for a living, or they are welcome to take their current approach and lifestyle elsewhere.

It's really as simple as that.

I'm fascinated to see who falls into what category. Sutter will make diamonds out of the guys that endure the rigors to come and embrace his no BS guidance/criticism though. I have no doubt that on an individual level they'll be better for it.

We're blessed to have this man come out of apparent retirement to turn this group around, and I hope they share that gratitude. There aren't many better coaches.
I like the word boyish. It’s easy to see some of the players can be emotional about the game. Tkachuk and Johnny are demonstrative, Rasmus as well. Mangiapane and Dube have real spurts of energetic play. So does Backlund. But too few of them have the “roll up the sleeves” adult approach to adversity and what it takes to win. Tanev, Lucic, Ryan to some degree. I still think Gio does but his body doesn’t cooperate a lot (though I thought he’s had a few pretty decent games in a row, including last game).
GioforPM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2021, 07:28 PM   #1343
GranteedEV
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by tvp2003 View Post
Apologies if already posted, but Wes Gilbertson had a great article talking to Conroy and Gelinas about their experiences with Sutter when they were players:

Also some anecdotes about 2004, and how Sutter coached Conroy (and Iginla) vs Gelinas.

https://calgarysun.com/sports/hockey...ales-from-2004
"detail"

That feels like a word I haven't heard about our coaches since Bob Hartley.

I'm excited

"May those who accept their fate find happiness. May those who defy it find glory."
GranteedEV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2021, 07:45 PM   #1344
djsFlames
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GioforPM View Post
I like the word boyish. It’s easy to see some of the players can be emotional about the game. Tkachuk and Johnny are demonstrative, Rasmus as well. Mangiapane and Dube have real spurts of energetic play. So does Backlund. But too few of them have the “roll up the sleeves” adult approach to adversity and what it takes to win. Tanev, Lucic, Ryan to some degree. I still think Gio does but his body doesn’t cooperate a lot (though I thought he’s had a few pretty decent games in a row, including last game).
That backcheck by Gio from two of three strides back to negate the breakaway late in a colossal game for the season is the biggest on ice moment he's had since his Norris year for me.

It's those moments of giving extra for the sake of the team and the result of the game from guys up and down the line up that will be key to taking their game where it has never been.

Its just a collection of moments like that that makes the difference, and they're each capable of bringing that with the right level of commitment.

You could throw Juuso's huge save into that category as well.
djsFlames is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to djsFlames For This Useful Post:
Old 03-08-2021, 07:58 PM   #1345
chummer
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dion View Post
The incredible story of Chris Sutter and how his bravery helped change the entire Sutter family.
Flames could use some of Chris' magic.
chummer is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to chummer For This Useful Post:
Old 03-08-2021, 08:23 PM   #1346
EVERLAST
Franchise Player

Location: https://homestars.com/companies/2808346-keith-my-furnace-guy
Exp:

There's something special to be said about Darryl and his family first approach.

I for one think Darryl will change how each player remembers this game, feels about one another and changes the dynamic of how these guys view what closeness really is.

The vision Darryl has, that work ethic , the peace he has inside because he's put in the work makes him present and woke .

Damn proud he is back. He will forever change each person and in a good way.
Cup or not ....welcome back Darryl.
EVERLAST is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to EVERLAST For This Useful Post:
Old 03-08-2021, 08:35 PM   #1347
JurassicTunga12
Franchise Player

Exp:

Flipping the page to a new era of Flames hockey and a new avatar for me.

No more aimlessness. This team is going to have an identity again.
Hopefully of a hard working, hard nosed, aggressive, fast, tough to play against team. I'm excited for the fresh start and to see what the Flames can do with Darryl Sutter at the helm for the remainder of this season and beyond.

Go Flames Go!
JurassicTunga12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2021, 08:55 PM   #1348
Burning Beard
First Line Centre

Exp:

It's Darryl-eve and I'm actually stoked for hockey the rest of the season. Finally see who on this team has some mettle and who can leave town in the offseason.
Burning Beard is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Burning Beard For This Useful Post:
Old 03-08-2021, 08:58 PM   #1349
djsFlames
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

I remember being so eager to hear anything Darryl had to say about our players when he and the Kings came through town, because I respected his opinion more than just about anybody in the game.

It is really awesome to have him on board working directly with this core now. I think only good things can come of it.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to djsFlames For This Useful Post:
Old 03-08-2021, 11:18 PM   #1350
AustinL_NHL
First Line Centre

Exp:

The Flames went from being the most uninspired, boring edition I've ever watched to being absolutely must watch TV. All because of Darryl.

Even tomorrow's and Wednesday's practices are incredibly exciting to think about.
AustinL_NHL is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to AustinL_NHL For This Useful Post:
Old 03-08-2021, 11:48 PM   #1351
dino7c
Franchise Player

Exp:

Yeah no matter what happens it will be interesting...after getting a coach fired the team half assed 4 of 6 periods on the weekend with their season on the line. I think Sutter comes in with a strong message, you are either in or in the way.
Old 03-09-2021, 12:22 AM   #1352
djsFlames
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:
Icon26

Quote:
Originally Posted by AustinL_NHL View Post
The Flames went from being the most uninspired, boring edition I've ever watched to being absolutely must watch TV. All because of Darryl.

Even tomorrow's and Wednesday's practices are incredibly exciting to think about.
Never anticipated practice notes when it wasn't still training camp and we were coming off of being deprived of hockey for months and reaching for anything.

But I sure as hell am anticipating them for the next two days.

Not even sure what will happen and I bet the players have no clue themselves. Will be riveting.

We're standing at the edge of a new chapter for the Calgary Flames.
The Following 12 Users Say Thank You to djsFlames For This Useful Post:
Old 03-09-2021, 07:16 AM   #1353
Vinny01
Franchise Player

Exp:

Just read the Lebrun article on the Athletic about Sutter with quotes from Dean Lombardi and former Kings players Williams and Stoll.

Lombardi made quotes like this could save our season. The one thing that was clear before but hammered home for me is the fact Sutter puts so much into the preparation for every game. It felt like Ward couldn’t adjust and Sutter is a master at making adjustments.

I am very much of the belief that this is a new season and all the games before this were all just BS (before Sutter)
Vinny01 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Vinny01 For This Useful Post:
JD
Old 03-09-2021, 07:21 AM   #1354
Lanny_McDonald
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinny01 View Post
Just read the Lebrun article on the Athletic about Sutter with quotes from Dean Lombardi and former Kings players Williams and Stoll.

Lombardi made quotes like this could save our season. The one thing that was clear before but hammered home for me is the fact Sutter puts so much into the preparation for every game. It felt like Ward couldn’t adjust and Sutter is a master at making adjustments.

I am very much of the belief that this is a new season and all the games before this were all just BS (before Sutter)
The most important part of coaching IMO. Having a plan to deal with the wrinkles the opposition is going to throw at you and knowing how you combat those strategies. Sutter is great at this and should help out dramatically compared to Ward whose team never looked prepared.
Lanny_McDonald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2021, 07:24 AM   #1355
BurningSteel
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Do we get Chris too??
BurningSteel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2021, 07:39 AM   #1356
transplant99
Fearmongerer

Location: Wondering when # became hashtag and not a number sign.
Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by BurningSteel View Post
Do we get Chris too??
I haven't read anything one way or the other but considering the environment, his down syndrome, and the pretty strict NHL protocol I would think that Chris has to wait until next year to join pops.

Im pretty sure I read somewhere that down syndrome folks are quite susceptible to severe complications to covid, though i dont remember where i saw/read that.

I have a cousin my age that died just a week ago from complications of pneumonia that might have been covid related and he had a pretty severe case of downs.
Old 03-09-2021, 07:40 AM   #1357
Jordan!
Jordan!

Exp:

I took my Flames jerseys out from my garage storage and washed those baby's

I am pumped for this, more than anything Yotes right now.
Jordan! is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Jordan! For This Useful Post:
Old 03-09-2021, 07:54 AM   #1358
ForeverFlameFan
Franchise Player

Exp:
Icon34

Just need to make the playoffs.

Looking at all of the coaches in the division, I would argue that right now, I would consider Sutter the best and most experienced. He can absolutely outcoach anyone in a playoff series.

Hoping the first couple days of practice are hell for us. The respect, identity, and culture change needs to be instilled ASAP.
ForeverFlameFan is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to ForeverFlameFan For This Useful Post:
Old 03-09-2021, 07:59 AM   #1359
Strange Brew
Franchise Player

Exp:

Darryl is 17th all time in head coaching regular season wins. 68 more wins gets him to 8th place, however he is behind a group of Vigneault, Laviolette, Tortorella who will stay ahead of him as long as they stay employed. So not likely to get into the top 10.

However he is 8th in playoff wins with 89. Ony 1 behind Babcock. 11 wins gets him to 100 playoff wins, top 4 all time and IMO, a spot in the HHOF. Dare to dream.
Strange Brew is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Strange Brew For This Useful Post:
Old 03-09-2021, 08:05 AM   #1360
Lubicon
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Burning Beard View Post
It's Darryl-eve and I'm actually stoked for hockey the rest of the season. Finally see who on this team has some mettle and who can leave town in the offseason.
His first day at the Dome today apparently. Which means he has been in Canada 14 days now. I didn't pay attention to when the hiring announcement announcement was made but it doesn't seem that long ago. So he either coincidentally returned to Canada two weeks ago or the deal was being negotiated (and agreed on) long before it was announced.
Lubicon is offline   Reply With Quote