Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 03-02-2021, 10:44 AM   #21
Weitz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calgary14 View Post
^Agree, if I knew we'd have these issues with a new home I never would have built new.

I hear new build condos are even worse - building foundation issues, plumbing issues, shoddy workmanship on the structure, all leading to artificially low condo fees for the 1st 5 years and then the reserve fund study gets done and the increases and special assessments begin
There was some real ####ty years of construction in this city. Anything close to boom time likely has questions. Doubly so for condos.
Weitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2021, 11:11 AM   #22
afc wimbledon
Franchise Player

Exp:

I always had huge rows with my ex wife about houses, she always wanted to buy new and I always refused, you get no better protection from problems with a new build in fact probably worse problems, I will take an old house with obvious issues I can price in to the offer and deal with anytime.

training standards for the trades have dropped so much in the last 20 years or so half the carpenters out there can barely do more than hang a door these days
afc wimbledon is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2021, 11:23 AM   #23
PaperBagger'14
Franchise Player

Exp:

I've got a meeting with a lawyer later this week, but barring any surprising news it sounds like I'm SOL. I'll post details about what happened so that if you live in my community or a similarly aged one you can check your place too
PaperBagger'14 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to PaperBagger'14 For This Useful Post:
Old 03-02-2021, 11:27 AM   #24
bagofpucks
Scoring Winger

Exp:

In the last few years it seems we’ve hit the age where lots of our friends are upgrading and some of the horror stories on new builds has been bizarre. One friend had a furnace that was installed improperly and cratered in year two. Same friend had a massive leak from a pipe on their second floor. This was an $800K house! Of course, there are plenty of horror stories of older houses too, but it is crazy to me that a brand new house could have major issues.
bagofpucks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2021, 11:29 AM   #25
zamler
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

As a former contractor in another life I can say for sure the price of the home means zero when it comes to how it is built. Bigger, nicer materials but same build it as fast possible cover up every mistake.
zamler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2021, 12:01 PM   #26
Cappy
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by 81MC View Post
This thread is a good enforcement of my belief that the housing market is a scam and developers get super rich by being shady as ####.
Made worse by the continued tax breaks and other incentives that governments peddle for home ownership. Egged on by the sometimes equally shady dealings of realtors (sorry, i know there are realtors on here)
Cappy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2021, 01:51 PM   #27
Winsor_Pilates
Franchise Player

Exp:

What's the new home warranty periods in AB?
In BC, building envelope is 5 years, so you'd be well past that.

13 years after build and going after the builder seems like a long shot.
Winsor_Pilates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2021, 10:16 PM   #28
81MC
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

“Yes , I know literally your entire future is mortgaged on this asset and all bu...oh yeah, yeah, your retirement savings too but you se...yes yes and that heloc just came through. But if you wanted to protect your assets, you should have gone with a Mitsubishi”

Beyond gross.
Old 03-02-2021, 11:27 PM   #29
afc wimbledon
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
I'm going through a similar issue with our house right now. It's 8 years old and I've had water issues the past few weeks that are just getting resolved now (of course I had to pay).

I really, really, really wish I would have had a home inspection done a) when the house was built and b) right before the warranty ended. Now that the warranty period is done the builder doesnt care about the issues. I should have paid someone to go through the entire house to see the issues, they would have noticed the furnace wasn't installed properly and that the roof was leaking
The home inspection business is almost as shady as construction, the main use for a home inspection is to give you an excuse to back out of a purchase without losing your deposit, other than that I find them utterly hopeless
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to afc wimbledon For This Useful Post:
Old 03-02-2021, 11:40 PM   #30
PaperBagger'14
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by afc wimbledon View Post
The home inspection business is almost as shady as construction, the main use for a home inspection is to give you an excuse to back out of a purchase without losing your deposit, other than that I find them utterly hopeless
The home inspector completely missed the issue that caused the damage at my place, and it is visible to the naked eye. Its basically a $500 get out of jail free card that is only as worthwhile as much as the employee is competent.
Old 03-03-2021, 08:24 AM   #31
Calgary14
First Line Centre

Exp:

^Good to know.

While I'm thinking of it, I wish I would have got a list of all the sub trades used in the build - specifically which company is doing the HVAC, which one is doing the roof, plumbing, electrical etc. I used a 5 star builder with perfect ratings but that doesn't mean jack if they cheap out on the critical structural aspects of a house. If they gave the name of the company doing the roof a 2 second google search would show me they do horrible work and that I would likely have issues with the roof (which I do).

For anyone building new - pro tip - ask for the names of the companies doing all aspects of the build.

I used to think buying an older house would bring so many issues, repairs, maintenance etc. But now I'm thinking it might actually be less headaches than a new build.
Calgary14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2021, 08:38 AM   #32
Flamenspiel
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

This is the same point as the other thread that covered real estate agents. Get a good inspector that is unaffiliated with any other aspect of the deal(not recommended by the agent). Same thing with the lawyer, there should be a complete separation of duties.

Still an inspector will miss some things that are undetectable. I agree it’s generally better to simply buy a tear down house if you have a builder you can trust or doing it yourself.
Flamenspiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2021, 10:23 AM   #33
afc wimbledon
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
^Good to know.

While I'm thinking of it, I wish I would have got a list of all the sub trades used in the build - specifically which company is doing the HVAC, which one is doing the roof, plumbing, electrical etc. I used a 5 star builder with perfect ratings but that doesn't mean jack if they cheap out on the critical structural aspects of a house. If they gave the name of the company doing the roof a 2 second google search would show me they do horrible work and that I would likely have issues with the roof (which I do).

For anyone building new - pro tip - ask for the names of the companies doing all aspects of the build.

I used to think buying an older house would bring so many issues, repairs, maintenance etc. But now I'm thinking it might actually be less headaches than a new build.
Older houses, pre 1980's, tend to be better built because what it took to become a carpenter in those days was so much more in depth, these days we wack out journeymen with a couple of years in trade school, half the time they can barely hang a door straight, that said older houses will usually need new furnaces, plumbing and electrical work, the good thing is you know that before you walk in the front door and can factor it in to the price up front.

I would never buy new, I just work on the assumption that all houses will have issues and the warranty on any new house is basically useful for little more than wiping your arse
Old 03-03-2021, 07:42 PM   #34
PaperBagger'14
Franchise Player

Exp:

Well there's been a turn of good ish news on everything today but nothing official yet, so if/when I can explain further I 100% will.

I'll be honest though, the stress from this, my job, a health issue and well *gestures broadly at the world* im completely exhausted and burnt out. I know many are also going through severe issues and possibly being in a worse situation than I am, but holy #### balls am I over everything. I was just getting by mentally, sort of shutting down to weather the storm, but because of this issue it has me completely wired and angry. I'm tired of being angry. I'm tired of having to take a stand and not be as considerate to people as I should be, because they are taking advantage of me. They deserve better than that and so do I.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to PaperBagger'14 For This Useful Post:
Old 03-04-2021, 09:15 AM   #35
RichieRich
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaperBagger'14 View Post
Well there's been a turn of good ish news on everything today but nothing official yet, so if/when I can explain further I 100% will.

I'll be honest though, the stress from this, my job, a health issue and well *gestures broadly at the world* im completely exhausted and burnt out. I know many are also going through severe issues and possibly being in a worse situation than I am, but holy #### balls am I over everything. I was just getting by mentally, sort of shutting down to weather the storm, but because of this issue it has me completely wired and angry. I'm tired of being angry. I'm tired of having to take a stand and not be as considerate to people as I should be, because they are taking advantage of me. They deserve better than that and so do I.
were you just in my brain? cos that's pretty much how I feel much of the time.

Actually I started taking some herbal supplements, just really hoping they might do something, and I swear they've been helped take the edge off. Taking both Bacopa and St. John's Wart. Helps reduce ADD issues (and helps focus a little better) and the SJW reduces anxiety, or at least take the edge off and seem a bit more manageable. Try them.
RichieRich is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to RichieRich For This Useful Post:
Old 03-04-2021, 11:06 AM   #36
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

Calgary houses are amongst the worst built you will see anywhere in North America. We have looked at a lot of homes over the last year and it's crazy how poorly built most <20 year old houses are.
Erick Estrada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2021, 11:25 AM   #37
Calgary14
First Line Centre

Exp:

^Agree but why exactly is that? I heard from a colleague that around 30 years ago trades were paid by the hour for jobs but it switched to a per-job payment. So all incentive to cut corners to save time, which means quality tanks. I assume it's worse than ever during boom times. That incentive combined with a lack of proper training for trades are two possible reasons
Calgary14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2021, 11:28 AM   #38
mrkajz44
First Line Centre

Exp:

I'm curious about this idea that "homes built in the last 20 years are garbage" bit. Is there any true support to this, or just antidotal evidence? With updated building codes, I have a hard time truly believing that things are much worse today than 20+ years ago.
Old 03-04-2021, 12:21 PM   #39
afc wimbledon
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrkajz44 View Post
I'm curious about this idea that "homes built in the last 20 years are garbage" bit. Is there any true support to this, or just antidotal evidence? With updated building codes, I have a hard time truly believing that things are much worse today than 20+ years ago.
My experience is that house building went south in the mid to late 80's in Vancouver/lower mainland, the quality of late 70's and early 80's western split level ranchers is immeasurably better to the pink stucco boxes that replaced them into the late 80's and 90's.

I always avoided houses built in a hot market, if you buy a house built when the market was quiet you will always get a house they took some extra time on, trouble with the last 20 years is the market has been pretty much continuously hot, the builders and sub trades are just wacking them out as fast as they can with no attention to detail
Old 03-04-2021, 03:38 PM   #40
Weitz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrkajz44 View Post
Boom times 10-20 years ago contributes to a lot of bad quality.
Weitz is offline   Reply With Quote