Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 02-25-2021, 09:52 AM   #21
Sliver
evil of fart

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CorsiHockeyLeague View Post
NES. And money. Then later, a car, (an IROC) which I didn't get until I was in University (and mine was a base civic, though it was actuallya good car for me).

My neighbour was very well off so his kids had all the toys. Great guy though.
This you?
Sliver is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Sliver For This Useful Post:
Old 02-25-2021, 09:52 AM   #22
GGG
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scroopy Noopers View Post
GT Racers. Never owned one, thought they looked amazing.
They were awesome, you definitely missed out. It was the first thing I bought with money I earned myself.
GGG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2021, 09:52 AM   #23
ooogabooga
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

That they would take vacations to, well, anywhere.
Didn't leave the country until a year and a half ago at age 33
ooogabooga is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to ooogabooga For This Useful Post:
Old 02-25-2021, 09:57 AM   #24
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

This is going to sound weird, but I was always jealous of friends who's parents were more open on the music at the time. Going over to a friends house and seeing his collection of KISS albums, or other contraversial bands at the time, songs that I would never be allowed to play loudly at home, because when I was raised, my parents through that a lot of the music of the time was brain damaging, and would lead me astray.

BTW I didn't need music to lead me astray, I was quite capable of doing that on my own.

Look on my Works, ye Mighty, and despair!
CaptainCrunch is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to CaptainCrunch For This Useful Post:
Old 02-25-2021, 10:01 AM   #25
Sliver
evil of fart

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainCrunch View Post
This is going to sound weird, but I was always jealous of friends who's parents were more open on the music at the time. Going over to a friends house and seeing his collection of KISS albums, or other contraversial bands at the time, songs that I would never be allowed to play loudly at home, because when I was raised, my parents through that a lot of the music of the time was brain damaging, and would lead me astray.

BTW I didn't need music to lead me astray, I was quite capable of doing that on my own.
Yeah I let my kids listen to basically everything.

I remember when my mom took away my Twisted Sister record. I was so mad. It was a song with these lyrics that caused her to snap:

"you're going down, down, down...YOU'RE GOING TO BURN IN HELL!"

Just a little too much for grade two me, I guess.
Sliver is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Sliver For This Useful Post:
Old 02-25-2021, 10:03 AM   #26
bc-chris
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainCrunch View Post

oh yea - totally this!!

my buddy that lived a few doors down had lots of great records. probably my favourite was van halen's 1984. one of his favourites was thriller. man we listened to a lot of music in his bedroom while playing gi joes vs starwars vs voltron!
Old 02-25-2021, 10:04 AM   #27
CorsiHockeyLeague
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sliver View Post
This you?
That kind of was the neighbour's for a bit, they actually built a sleeper van of some description I can't remember (some sort of swap and turbo job on an old windstar).

I couldn't get into cars when I was in high school because I couldn't afford one and my family's cars were all just practical things. Hence the hand me down Civic.
"The great promise of the Internet was that more information would automatically yield better decisions. The great disappointment is that more information actually yields more possibilities to confirm what you already believed anyway." - Brian Eno
CorsiHockeyLeague is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2021, 10:07 AM   #28
nik-
Franchise Player

Exp:

Both their parents

nik- is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to nik- For This Useful Post:
Old 02-25-2021, 10:07 AM   #29
Geraldsh
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Dale had his own horse and Bob had his own 22 rifle, I had neither one. The horse kicked Dale’s front teeth out and the rifle was lost in a fire so I guess there is a God.
Geraldsh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2021, 10:09 AM   #30
CalgaryFan1988
Franchise Player

Exp:

I got to feel both sides of jealousy.

When I was 6 I was the first one in my whole area to get a mini-bike.

It was also the last one my dad ever bought me and my friends continued to get more as they grew older. So I was jealous of my neighbors XR80.

When I was old enough to work and save up, it was the first thing I bought (XR400).
CalgaryFan1988 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to CalgaryFan1988 For This Useful Post:
Old 02-25-2021, 10:12 AM   #31
MRCboicgy
Referee

Exp:

This seems like a honeypot to grab everyone's ages.

For me it was the Jordan IV sneaker. We couldn't afford it back then and the cool or rich kids had them
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to MRCboicgy For This Useful Post:
Old 02-25-2021, 10:21 AM   #32
blankall
Ate 100 Treadmills

Exp:

Castle Greyskull and Snake Mountain....or any playset. My parents had some kind of vendetta against playsets. So all I ever got was the loose figures and the medium to small vehicles.

Looking back on these now....maybe they weren't as cool as I remember. The pit that the figures could fall into blew my five year old mind though. I assumed that if I ever owned one myself, I would play with it non-stop.

If we're talking teenage years...definitely a car. I didn't own a car until I got my first job post-law school, as I simply couldn't afford it until then. I could sometimes borrow my mom's mini-van. Not as good as owning your own car.

Edit: Also bb guns or any kind of gun beyond a water pistol. My parents were very liberal about what kind of music/Media I could consume. But ultra strict about me owning anything that had any potential actual danger. They were the kind of people that would read one story about something going awry and then totally ban that thing.

Last edited by blankall; 02-25-2021 at 10:25 AM.
blankall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2021, 10:22 AM   #33
BsFaninCGY
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

Pets. Was never allowed a dog. First thing I got when I moved out!
BsFaninCGY is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to BsFaninCGY For This Useful Post:
Old 02-25-2021, 10:22 AM   #34
looooob
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sliver View Post

I remember when my mom took away my Twisted Sister record. I was so mad. It was a song with these lyrics that caused her to snap:

"you're going down, down, down...YOU'RE GOING TO BURN IN HELL!"

Just a little too much for grade two me, I guess.
I had a medium strict upbringing- my parents did monitor a lot of what I was consuming (both in terms of junk food and media)

but my grandmother (who died last year at 100) bought me a Twister Sister cassette for Christmas, 1984. I was not really ever a Twisted Sister fan- I didn't really want it- but of course I loved it somehow

I can't tell (and knowing my grandmother both are possible) if she bought it because she thought I would think it was cool, or because she thought it was funny
looooob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2021, 10:34 AM   #35
troutman
Unfrozen Caveman Lawyer

Exp:

“All right, mister, what you think you’re doing? You call this a room? This is a pig sty,”

“I want you to straighten up this area now, You are a disgusting slob! Stand up straight! Tuck in that shirt! Adjust that belt buckle, tie those shoes!”

“What is that?” he says pointing at Snider. “Wipe that smile off your face.” “Do you understand?! What is that?! A Twisted Sister pin, on your uniform?!?!”

“What kind of a man are you?” “You’re worthless and weak. You do nothing, you are nothing, you sit in here all day and play that sick, repulsive, electric twanger! I carried an M16 and you, you carry that, that guitar!”

“Who are you?? Where do you come from?? Are you listening to me??” “What do you want to do with your life??”
troutman is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 14 Users Say Thank You to troutman For This Useful Post:
Old 02-25-2021, 10:34 AM   #36
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Toy guns. Those were totally off limits for us, which meant I had to hide the cap gun I found one day.
Fuzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2021, 10:56 AM   #37
troutman
Unfrozen Caveman Lawyer

Exp:

Penthouse
troutman is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to troutman For This Useful Post:
Old 02-25-2021, 11:02 AM   #38
darockwilder
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Any sort of video game system, and garbage cereal like Sugar Smacks or Count Chocula.

Actually one day we were with my Mom when she was getting groceries and she finally relented and my sister and I could each get a box of sugary cereal. She picked Count Chocula and I picked Boo Berry. After we got home we both had a massive bowl of our respective cereals, and soon after we both felt terrible. We never wanted to eat them again. All I really remember is the milk turned blue and so did my mood after.
Old 02-25-2021, 11:07 AM   #39
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by troutman View Post
“All right, mister, what you think you’re doing? You call this a room? This is a pig sty,”

“I want you to straighten up this area now, You are a disgusting slob! Stand up straight! Tuck in that shirt! Adjust that belt buckle, tie those shoes!”

“What is that?” he says pointing at Snider. “Wipe that smile off your face.” “Do you understand?! What is that?! A Twisted Sister pin, on your uniform?!?!”

“What kind of a man are you?” “You’re worthless and weak. You do nothing, you are nothing, you sit in here all day and play that sick, repulsive, electric twanger! I carried an M16 and you, you carry that, that guitar!”

“Who are you?? Where do you come from?? Are you listening to me??” “What do you want to do with your life??”

Its amazing how much that video and the 80's video's in general sold music. Twisted Sister might not have exploded like they did without the mini story.

Look on my Works, ye Mighty, and despair!
CaptainCrunch is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to CaptainCrunch For This Useful Post:
Old 02-25-2021, 11:09 AM   #40
Misterpants
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Oh man, the nostalgia is hitting hard with this thread. I always was the victim of so close yet so far with birthday gifts. Had a lot of great ones but I think everyone had that aunt or uncle that didn't have kids yet or their kids were too young so they kinda had an idea what was cool, but just fell flat.

Example:

What I wanted:

What I got:

Misterpants is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Misterpants For This Useful Post: