Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-08-2021, 11:54 AM   #3581
InglewoodFan
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

I'm in the same boat as edslunch, and my preferred path forward is to do external insulation since I want to re-side anyway. Currently have a mix of stucco and metal siding (screw you hail!) and want to go Hardie eventually. But I keep getting stuck on having to change all the windows since the casing depths all get bigger. Which turns the project from $$$ to $$$$$.

It's a tough nut to crack for sure, coupled with resale payout being not spectacular I'm guessing.
InglewoodFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2021, 12:01 PM   #3582
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scroopy Noopers View Post
Also, go for Moen.
Not a fan of Moen at all. Delta is okay but mid level. Hansgrohe has been by far the best that I have had.
Erick Estrada is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Erick Estrada For This Useful Post:
Old 03-08-2021, 12:18 PM   #3583
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by InglewoodFan View Post
I'm in the same boat as edslunch, and my preferred path forward is to do external insulation since I want to re-side anyway. Currently have a mix of stucco and metal siding (screw you hail!) and want to go Hardie eventually. But I keep getting stuck on having to change all the windows since the casing depths all get bigger. Which turns the project from $$$ to $$$$$.

It's a tough nut to crack for sure, coupled with resale payout being not spectacular I'm guessing.
Take a look at LP siding, I think it looks better than Hardie, and is easier to install. I did my garage with it, and this year I'll be replacing the vinyl on the bottom half of my house. The upper half is fake brick/stucco, but I don't feel like dealing with that. I'd like to add external insulation, but the thickness issue will probably stop me. I may be able to add 1" foam, but it isn't going to help a lot.
Fuzz is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Fuzz For This Useful Post:
Old 03-09-2021, 10:08 AM   #3584
sa226
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Anybody have a large window in their shower?

My ongoing ensuite design indecision continues. Typical 90's Calgary suburb house with an ensuite with no door leading into a vanity on the left, giant tub on the right with a big 4ft x 4ft window over the tub, then at the end of the bathroom behind a sliding pocket door the toilet facing the small shower.

My current plan is to take down the pocket door wall to open up that area, expand the shower area as much as possible while respecting space, then in the area where the tub under the window is, demo the stupid tub and install built in storage. Its the best balance of practicality and cost in my opinion.

What I want to do is put a shower where the tub is. But I don't really know the practicality of having a large 48 x 48 window in your shower area. Obviously the current window would be replaced by something with plenty more privacy. Frosted with an awning type opening at the top. I'm more wondering about how it is in a climate like this. I know windows in showers are okay when done properly, but is that a bit too big?

Scouring the internet doesn't give me a ton of examples. Mostly super fancy homes overlooking a private garden in the caribbean somewhere.
sa226 is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to sa226 For This Useful Post:
Old 03-09-2021, 10:13 AM   #3585
Scroopy Noopers
Pent-up

Exp:

I love my big window in my shower. It’s frosted, and I shower in there without any lights on. It’s great. It’s on the ground floor (bungalow) and I am planning to plant a few skinny dwarf pines around it so I can crack the window in the summer without feeling like an exhibitionist.
Scroopy Noopers is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Scroopy Noopers For This Useful Post:
Old 03-09-2021, 11:06 AM   #3586
InglewoodFan
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scroopy Noopers View Post
I love my big window in my shower. It’s frosted, and I shower in there without any lights on. It’s great. It’s on the ground floor (bungalow) and I am planning to plant a few skinny dwarf pines around it so I can crack the window in the summer without feeling like an exhibitionist.
Any problems with condensation / icing on the window in the winter? Wood cased window or vinyl? I too have a huge ensuite tub and I would like nothing more than to ditch it for a big shower. My ensuite has no shower right now so this would be an amazing improvement.
InglewoodFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2021, 11:08 AM   #3587
photon
The new goggles also do nothing.

Exp:

Anyone recommend an electrician that will service around downtown? Looks like I'll have to get someone to do that under cabinet florescent -> LED conversion for me.
Old 03-09-2021, 11:15 AM   #3588
Bill Bumface
My face is a bum!

Exp:

It doesn't answer your question, and is likely ignorant of some back story, but the rolls of LED tape that you can get make for a decently easy DIY with good results if you already have power kicking around for the fluorescent stuff.

I did the same thing, and because the tape is so low profile, you can do thinks like LEDs under the lip of a breakfast bar etc.
Bill Bumface is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2021, 11:28 AM   #3589
photon

Exp:

It's for under cabinet and there's valances on them so yeah it looks like the led strips would be perfect, some stuff just changed though I just won't have the time to do it myself now unfortunately.
The Following User Says Thank You to photon For This Useful Post:
Old 03-09-2021, 11:36 AM   #3590
Bankai
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Anybody know why an upstairs toilet makes what seems like banging sounds from the pipes whenever it is flushed? Driving me crazy.
Bankai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2021, 12:09 PM   #3591
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bankai View Post
Anybody know why an upstairs toilet makes what seems like banging sounds from the pipes whenever it is flushed? Driving me crazy.
My first guess is something caught in the trap or pipe. Any kids missing any toys?
Old 03-09-2021, 12:29 PM   #3592
topfiverecords
Franchise Player

Exp:

Missing any kids?
topfiverecords is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2021, 12:57 PM   #3593
Looch City
Looooooooooooooch

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bankai View Post
Oh this happens in our home too, I read it may be air chambers filled with water. They recommend turning off the water supply and completely draining the lines (open faucet, flush toilets, etc).
Looch City is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2021, 01:00 PM   #3594
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Oh, right, if it's on the freshwater side, look up water hammer. There are devices to reduce it.
Old 03-09-2021, 01:28 PM   #3595
Bankai
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Looch City View Post
Oh this happens in our home too, I read it may be air chambers filled with water. They recommend turning off the water supply and completely draining the lines (open faucet, flush toilets, etc).
Tried this. Shut off the water valve in the basement, flushed all toilets and opened taps.

Not a big deal I hope but just annoying.
Bankai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2021, 01:37 PM   #3596
Torture
Loves Teh Chat!

Exp:

Entrance shiplap wall completed. Next up kitchen pantry upgrade from wire shelves..
Torture is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Torture For This Useful Post:
Old 03-09-2021, 01:41 PM   #3597
photon

Exp:

The cat isn't very impressed.
Old 03-09-2021, 01:45 PM   #3598
Torture
Loves Teh Chat!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by photon View Post
The cat isn't very impressed.
He wanted to go outside
Torture is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Torture For This Useful Post:
Old 03-09-2021, 05:08 PM   #3599
Kybosh
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Does anyone have any recommendations for flat roofers? We identified some minor leaking and I've received 3 quotes which have ranged from a total removal and reinstall to a couple minor repairs. Kind of tough to figure out what to do when the quotes span from $1k-15k.
Kybosh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2021, 05:35 PM   #3600
keratosis
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

I'm in need of a mason in the Okotoks area to put up about 24sq ft of slate behind a BBQ. It would be mounted on an exterior wall. I kinda sorta melted it a bit a while ago and have the slate, just need it put up permanently. I would do it myself but the keyword here is permanently.
keratosis is offline   Reply With Quote