Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum

Notices

Old 03-05-2021, 12:59 PM   #4721
Monahammer
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainCrunch View Post
It gets slimier and slimier, not only do they need to get these guys back in front of the committee to explore the contract and the Links to the Liberal Party, but the RCMP and CRA need to get involved now.

https://twitter.com/user/status/1367869669596659716

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/featu...?sref=PyGrjHC1

The press is doing what the committees haven't been able to do, due to Liberal obstruction and fillibustering. The Kielbergers are refusing to re appear and still haven't submitted the documents that they promised to Submit, and the tone of the committees has changed including the use of summons and even using the powers that have been barely used of putting them in contempt and forcing them to appear.

This is a shame charity, they over stated costs, and they did swapping of dedication plaques.

The IRS is also been notified and that's an organization that you don't want on their backs.
I Really, really hope that someone is also playing this to the Kenyan media.

I can't imagine the people of Kenya would be too happy to know that these guys were grifting donations meant to increase their quality of life.

It would be such a shame if this caused a mob to form in front of their property or something...
Monahammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2021, 01:06 PM   #4722
guzzy
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by calgarygeologist View Post
McKenna said something equally obtuse today during her funding announcement for electrified buses. She was talking about how great the announcement was and why this funding would be beneficial to the economy and how this would support the resource industry in Canada because we are very well positioned with the raw materials for battery production. I couldn't help but wonder how much the government's regulations will get in the way of extracting those raw materials for batteries. It is nice to point out that we are a resource rich country but if you block production efforts at every opportunity it doesn't really matter what is in the ground.
McKenna is obtuse. Pure garbage as a human being.
guzzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2021, 01:08 PM   #4723
TorqueDog
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThisIsAnOutrage View Post
Oh good, the government is introducing hate speech legislation:

https://nationalpost.com/news/politi...ate-speech-law

With all of the scandals, the pandemic failures, the pipeline failures, and the economy, this is little more than legislative busy-work. Having had to dig into these types of laws in the past, I can confirm there is a good reason why previous, similar legislation was declared unconstitutional. There's little reason to believe what's coming next will be any better. This may well be legislated cancel culture. It wouldn't be surprising given the current political and social climate.
ďAmong the hallmarks of hatred were things like identifying the group as subhuman or animalistic, or as unclean or carrying disease or as inclined to engage in violence or things of that nature,Ē Moon said.

Does that mean we get to ban religious texts then?
TorqueDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2021, 05:53 PM   #4724
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

Really our defense minister needs to be outright fired, he's lied multiple times, participated in the rail roading attempt of Norman, lied about knowing about the Vance accusations for two years, and now this

https://globalnews.ca/news/7682628/a...dian-military/

Quote:
A senior naval officer alerted the defence minister’s office to an allegation of sexual misconduct against Adm. Art McDonald in February but was redirected and told to report the concern elsewhere, according to a source with direct knowledge of the matter.
And sources tell Global News the officer has received anonymous telephone threats warning that his career is now in jeopardy since he took action.
Quote:
The source who spoke with Global News said the complainant shared details with Trotter of sexual misconduct alleged to have occurred while McDonald was a navy captain.
Global News reached out to McDonald asking whether he is aware of any threats against Trotter, whether he would condemn any attempts to threaten or intimidate those involved in his case, and for him to verify the timing of the alleged incident at the heart of the complaint.
“As there is an ongoing investigation, and on the advice of legal counsel, I am not making any statement at this time,” McDonald told Global News in an email.

Quote:
On Feb. 4, the source says Trotter spoke with a senior civil servant tasked with supporting the defence minister’s office.
Trotter and the senior civil servant spoke multiple times that night, the source said, adding the civil servant told Trotter she would bring the allegation to the minister.
But the source said Trotter was ultimately redirected and told to bring the allegation to the Canadian Forces National Investigation Service, which he did on Feb. 5.
You sit there and you thump your Bible, and you say your prayers, and it didnít get you anywhere. Talk about your psalms, talk about John 3:16Ö
Austin 3:16 says I just whipped your ass!
CaptainCrunch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2021, 09:54 PM   #4725
Northendzone
Franchise Player

Exp:

This government is something else. If the conservatives can get thier stuff together by 2028 that would be a miracle. Even so, by then the country will be split even more if a western separatist party ever gets any traction.
Old 03-08-2021, 10:26 AM   #4726
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

Absolute joke, other countries and provinces have done budgets, meanwhile these idiots are pushing for an election, we get videos of Freeland doing campaign video budget consultations with teenagers and its been two years of no budget, and the Liberals throwing money out like its coming from a salad shooter and giving out contracts with no over sight and no transparency.

https://twitter.com/user/status/1368898241815867398

It almost feels like the Liberals are terrified of releasing a budget so they're going to try to engineer an election before a budget. 2 years without a budget is a seriously sick joke.
You sit there and you thump your Bible, and you say your prayers, and it didnít get you anywhere. Talk about your psalms, talk about John 3:16Ö
Old 03-08-2021, 10:39 AM   #4727
Northendzone
Franchise Player

Exp:

yeah, the freeland consulting with teens on budget issues was a joke. how many teens can grasp the concept of a budget on a national scope, much less have a credible idea on how to fund any ideas.

what boggled my mind even more was that i saw several adults on twitter commenting that it was a good idea to consult them - all i could do was facepalm.
Old 03-08-2021, 10:42 AM   #4728
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

Not just grieving parents that were used by WE, but children as well

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/we-ch...ium%3Dsharebar

Quote:
Each group donated tens of thousands of dollars in 2013 to WE Charity, then known as Free the Children, for what turned out to be the same deep water borehole well in the village of Osenetoi, Kenya — total amounts that far exceeded the cost of the well water project and raise questions about what the charity did with the extra money that was collected.
A former WE employee who liaised with outside fundraising groups told The Fifth Estate that they frequently heard complaints about the charity's fundraising tactics.
"We would have people coming to us and saying, like, 'Hey, my donor was led to believe that they were the only donor to this community or the only donor to the school,' " said the source.

Quote:
Now, a financial document prepared by Free the Children for Osenetoi has surfaced on a donor's old website, providing a rare glimpse into what the charity said a project would cost — versus the amounts donors were actually contributing.
According to a Free the Children internal accounting document, a borehole in Osenetoi was budgeted to cost $50,000 US. The document shows that most of that amount had already been raised by a single donor, raising questions about why other groups were asked by Free the Children to fundraise for the same project.
The former WE staffer who worked with external partners to raise money said the charity's strategy was to convince donors to part with their money by telling them they were purchasing tangible projects.
"You go to the website and it says if you give 10 thousand dollars, that's a classroom," she said.
The former employee said sometimes that meant that more than one donor believed they had paid for the same classroom.

Quote:
he Free the Children's financial records on the SVQF website provide a detailed accounting of numerous items, large and small, in Osenetoi. It shows that the California-based charity paid $37,865 towards a borehole budgeted at $50,000 —leaving only slightly more than $12,000 US remaining.
A borehole can be an important addition to a community in rural Kenya, allowing young women in particular to attend school instead of walking kilometres at a time to fetch fresh water.
At the same time that Free the Children stated the U.S.-based charity had paid for the bulk of the costs of the deep water well, two more Canadian communities working with the Kielburgers appeared to be telling their fundraising teams they had also raised substantial funds for the same borehole.
A review of social media posts, online newsletters and blogs also reveals several more individuals and groups stating they, too, were fundraising to bring clean water to Osenetoi.

What a great pair of scammers, Its a bad look for the Liberals and the Kielbergers who have obstructed the two committees at every turn, lied about disclosing documents. But its good to see Maggie and Justin's family getting paid a punch of money to the equivalent of a Nigerian Prince scam.
Old 03-08-2021, 10:44 AM   #4729
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Northendzone View Post
yeah, the freeland consulting with teens on budget issues was a joke. how many teens can grasp the concept of a budget on a national scope, much less have a credible idea on how to fund any ideas.

what boggled my mind even more was that i saw several adults on twitter commenting that it was a good idea to consult them - all i could do was facepalm.

This is as bad a look that it gets for Freeland as finance minister. I mean she's linked to WE (was on that committee) stood by while JWR and Philpot were thrown under the bus. Now shows that she's an idiot when it comes to the highest cabinet position in government.

If this was a conservative government there would be calls for prison sentences and elections and investigations.

At the very least, Canadians need to get the checkbook away from this government. I would vote for a Bloc Candidate if they ran one in Alberta.
Old 03-08-2021, 10:48 AM   #4730
Roughneck
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
I would vote for a Bloc Candidate if they ran one in Alberta.

The party that's helping prop the Liberals up?
Roughneck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2021, 11:41 AM   #4731
Firebot
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Our last federal budget was in March 2019...and it seems pretty obvious by now the Liberals are going to force an election before ever putting a budget on the table. The vaccine hiccup is the only reason why we aren't going to the polls right now.

Priorities though, why talk about something as important as current federal responsibilities and running a country when you can talk about naming rodeo an official sport and the impact of Ralph bucks from 15 years ago.

Partisan priorities from Canadians are exactly why Liberals can get away with not having a budget for two years, the conservative boogyman is much more alarming.

Sajjan? Budget? WE? Nah, Alberta naming an official sport is much more pressing and deserves a 6 page debate.

And the CBC? The federal budget delay should make some type of political news like it did for the Globe and Mail...

The tale of 2 media sources.

https://www.theglobeandmail.com/politics/2/

Top story: Liberals rule out March budget as Ottawa assesses economic impact of recent shutdowns, new vaccine timelines

https://www.cbc.ca/news/politics

Quote:
Kenney's close call: How the conservative grassroots put Alberta's premier on notice
While top Alberta government officials looked for ways earlier in the year to turn the page on a difficult month, some in the United Conservative Party were musing about whether it was time to turn the page on Premier Jason Kenney himself.
Top Canadian politics story, Kenney may have a leadership review (based on some unnamed sources last year).

Ah yes the good old conservative boogyman, look at it while we distract you from the fact that Canada hasn't had a fricking budget in 2 years, has the biggest economic fallout in the G7, and the budget got delayed again while the Liberals are likely to force an election....what is Sloan up to these days, he should make a great article.

Last edited by Firebot; 03-08-2021 at 11:44 AM.
Firebot is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Firebot For This Useful Post:
Old 03-08-2021, 11:42 AM   #4732
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roughneck View Post
The party that's helping prop the Liberals up?

They all are, at least with the Bloc, it would be chaos.

The NDP are certainly propping the liberals, when Singh came out yesterday crying about the Liberal's ethics and the Armed Forces stuff, I was like shaddup, this is on you, you sold your party out to the Liberals.

Even the Conservatives are really propping up the Libs, from the fact that they couldn't get consensus to topple this regime, to the fact that this is the most corrupt, stupid and incompetent government in the history of this country, a perfect storm of poop so to speak, and they can't take advantage of it or make any headway, besides the fact that if the Libs called an election today, looking at the polls, that they'd be in the same minority spot.

At least a vote for the Bloc would be the ultimate protest vote to say all of these parties are crap, and need to go through rebuilds. All the political parties right now are Arizona Coyotes level of crap.
Old 03-08-2021, 12:07 PM   #4733
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

https://twitter.com/user/status/1368969464662925312
The Following User Says Thank You to CaptainCrunch For This Useful Post:
Old 03-08-2021, 01:03 PM   #4734
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
What are they gonna do if they dont? Fly to Kenya and get them?

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.
Locke is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Locke For This Useful Post:
Old 03-08-2021, 01:32 PM   #4735
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Locke View Post
What are they gonna do if they dont? Fly to Kenya and get them?

I don't know, they did talk about the ability for the Sergent at arms to gather them and make them appear before the Bar in the house.

The only other leverage points would be pushing for the CRA investigation in conjunction with the IRS and get the RCMP involved (though the RCMP is singularly useless when it comes to investigate anything involving the government) (Norman Affair, Lavelin when the PMO told them to buzz off and they did etc). It would be nice if they would lose their charitable status in Canada.

My guess though is that the brother are in Kenya and will never set foot back in North America.
Old 03-08-2021, 04:55 PM   #4736
calgarygeologist
Franchise Player

Exp:

So the Kielburgers are actually going to meet with the committee but they won't address any issues which are under ongoing investigations by any organization or law enforcement. Is this just going to be a 2 hour meeting where every answer is "I can't comment on that due to ongoing investigations"?
calgarygeologist is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to calgarygeologist For This Useful Post:
Old 03-08-2021, 07:06 PM   #4737
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

Good should be way more of this, but honestly fines should be upped.

https://www.cbc.ca/news/politics/mps...ium%3Dsharebar

Quote:
Members of Parliament are ordering former Liberal MP Yasmin Ratansi to reimburse the House of Commons more than $9,000 after determining she breached parliamentary rules by employing her sister in her constituency office for more than three years using public funds.
The secretive Board of Internal Economy, the governing body for the House of Commons that controls Parliament's spending, made the decision during an in-camera meeting on Feb. 25.
The chair of the board, Speaker of the House of Commons Anthony Rota, confirmed in a statement a three-month-long review of the matter has concluded. The Board decided Ratansi must pay back "termination and severance pay amounts, totalling $9,391.27, that were paid to her sister when her employment was terminated," according to the statement.

"The Board also noted Ms. Ratansi's lack of cooperation during its review of the matter," adds the statement.
Old 03-08-2021, 07:48 PM   #4738
2Stonedbirds
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Rarely Convict Miscreant Politicians
2Stonedbirds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2021, 09:29 PM   #4739
OldDutch
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by calgarygeologist View Post
So the Kielburgers are actually going to meet with the committee but they won't address any issues which are under ongoing investigations by any organization or law enforcement. Is this just going to be a 2 hour meeting where every answer is "I can't comment on that due to ongoing investigations"?
Essentially the Canadian equivalent of pleading the fifth.

Although would be good if they did break from that to throw Justin under the bus. One can hope their disbelief at no honor among theives gets them vengeful.
OldDutch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2021, 10:29 PM   #4740
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

Clumsy attempt at damage control by the Libs

https://twitter.com/user/status/1369114133162037251

No matter how qualified she is or isn't this looks like the Liberals and Trudeau's attempt to distract from the current scandal filled DND, and Trudeau's supporting the old boys club over the victim.