Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 03-08-2021, 04:12 PM   #201
JohnnyB
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenLantern2814 View Post
MacKinnon is the next most explosive skater in the game after McDavid.

But he’s not at McDavid’s tier.

Sid is, and that’s the club.

For me, anyway.
I would definitely take Sid of a few years back over McDavid now. Crosby was just such a complete player. He was exactly who you would want on your team in the playoffs. McDavid is quite different. He's more like Bure, but turned up another couple of notches. His speed is just absurd, so any time he gets possession can suddenly turn into a scoring chance as anyone trying to stop him can be left behind looking like they're in slow mo, and he has great hands.

I might still take Sid over McDavid in the playoffs this year, but it's close for me now. A couple more years and it won't be. Still, I'm not sure if McDavid will ever reach the level of player that Crosby has been in the last decade. Crosby had both the guidance and the dedication to work on his game to become the best possible contributor to team success that he could be. McDavid on the other hand, has been an Oiler.

With his speed, McDavid won the genetic lottery, but he certainly lost the draft lottery.

"If stupidity got us into this mess, then why can't it get us out?"
JohnnyB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2021, 06:40 AM   #202
Tsawwassen
Franchise Player

Exp:

Post game links
https://scores.nbcsports.com/nhl/box...=14&final=true
http://sportsstats.cbc.ca/hockey/nhl...cap133978.html
Old 03-09-2021, 02:31 PM   #203
GioforPM
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenLantern2814 View Post
Every goalie thinks they can handle it like Marty Turco.

95% of them cannot.
Even if they can it's not a huge benefit because they really can't hit guys on the fly very often. Smith was very very good at stopping ring around dump ins, which is a huge benefit. But his long range passes, while impressive when they connected insofar as he could do it, were almost always to a guy that had to stop or alter course to get it, which just set up him being defended. Whereas if he just gives it to a D they can skate, short pass, long pass, etc. and keep the flow going.

Markstrom has troubles even with the behind the net stuff. He needs to make a simple play or else just leave it alone.
GioforPM is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to GioforPM For This Useful Post:
Old 03-09-2021, 03:16 PM   #204
Enoch Root
Franchise Player

Exp:

The risk/reward for goalies playing the puck is so skewed to the risk side, that I am amazed that coaches let them do it at all.

Just stay in your goddamned net!
Enoch Root is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2021, 03:41 PM   #205
GioforPM
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enoch Root View Post
The risk/reward for goalies playing the puck is so skewed to the risk side, that I am amazed that coaches let them do it at all.

Just stay in your goddamned net!
I think the reward for stopping the ring around is fine
Old 03-09-2021, 03:49 PM   #206
Enoch Root
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GioforPM View Post
I think the reward for stopping the ring around is fine
As long as there are no forwards close by, yes.

The problem is that goalies often evaluate that poorly, and then find themselves in trouble. It was a simple wrap around on Sunday night that caused the near catastrophe. Markstrom had ample time to stop the puck, until he fumbled it and didn't.

That's the thing about managing risk/reward - if the risk is great and the reward is low, it is difficult to justify. And you're better off not playing.
Enoch Root is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2021, 05:53 PM   #207
GioforPM
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enoch Root View Post
As long as there are no forwards close by, yes.

The problem is that goalies often evaluate that poorly, and then find themselves in trouble. It was a simple wrap around on Sunday night that caused the near catastrophe. Markstrom had ample time to stop the puck, until he fumbled it and didn't.

That's the thing about managing risk/reward - if the risk is great and the reward is low, it is difficult to justify. And you're better off not playing.
I was more talking about Smith. Markstrom is pretty sad with the puck at all.
The Following User Says Thank You to GioforPM For This Useful Post:
Old 03-10-2021, 06:19 PM   #208
DeluxeMoustache

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GioforPM View Post
Even if they can it's not a huge benefit because they really can't hit guys on the fly very often. Smith was very very good at stopping ring around dump ins, which is a huge benefit. But his long range passes, while impressive when they connected insofar as he could do it, were almost always to a guy that had to stop or alter course to get it, which just set up him being defended. Whereas if he just gives it to a D they can skate, short pass, long pass, etc. and keep the flow going.

Markstrom has troubles even with the behind the net stuff. He needs to make a simple play or else just leave it alone.

I agree with this. Between Smith’s long passes to stationary winger, the D going to each corner while Smith decided which guy to give it to, and just the general now and again cough-ups, his ‘skill’ ended up being a net detriment

I don’t understand how goalies like Markstrom can be so willing to play the puck and really not so good at playing the puck. It’s not that hard. If he wants to do it, he should practice it as well. And then if you’re not that good at it, a bit of self awareness couldn’t hurt
DeluxeMoustache is offline   Reply With Quote