Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum > Food and Entertainment
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-08-2021, 08:30 AM   #2641
ResAlien
Lifetime In Suspension

Exp:

Did you like Groundhog Day but instead of a straight comedy you wished it had more Frank Grillo, ridiculously over the top violent action, and bit roles by Mel Gibson and Will Sasso? You did? Well then I hope you’re wearing your boner pants because Boss Level was made just for you.

It wasn’t terrible. Decent Sunday afternoon mindless fare to kill 90 some odd minutes.
ResAlien is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ResAlien For This Useful Post:
Old 03-08-2021, 08:42 AM   #2642
Hemi-Cuda
wins 10 internets

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by #-3 View Post
The Disney princesses definitely stole that show in that movie, both of their scenes are just great.
Venelope's song that she does on suggestion from the princesses is also gold

"And for you a face tattoo!"
Hemi-Cuda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2021, 08:35 PM   #2643
Nyah
First Line Centre

Exp:

Just watched Greenland on Prime. It's actually a pretty good disaster movie. Unfortunately I feel it's a pretty good depiction on how humanity would evaporate in a crisis and people would become brutally self serving. Great effects too. Gerard Butler is surprisingly great in this too. It's worth a watch.
Nyah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2021, 09:18 PM   #2644
Hemi-Cuda
wins 10 internets

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nyah View Post
Just watched Greenland on Prime. It's actually a pretty good disaster movie. Unfortunately I feel it's a pretty good depiction on how humanity would evaporate in a crisis and people would become brutally self serving. Great effects too. Gerard Butler is surprisingly great in this too. It's worth a watch.
Ya it's the most realistic disaster movie I think because of that. A lower budget also served it well IMO, focusing more on human caused drama vs the hero running away from explosions that you usually get. I also liked that they didn't try to have Butler use an American accent, he's so much better with his native Scottish
The Following User Says Thank You to Hemi-Cuda For This Useful Post:
Old 03-11-2021, 10:23 PM   #2645
Yamer
Franchise Player

Exp:

Greenland is certainly a hidden gem with respects to its genre. Enjoyed that film a bunch, and actually had me digging into the science of it in a genuine fashion.

"I see as much misery out of them moving to justify theirselves as them that set out to do harm."
-Dr. Amos "Doc" Cochran
Yamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2021, 10:58 PM   #2646
Dion
Not a casual user

Exp:

The other night I watched a hidden gem from Micheal Douglas called "Falling Down"

This movie will become more relevent as the years go by.

Last edited by Dion; 03-11-2021 at 11:00 PM.
Dion is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Dion For This Useful Post:
Old 03-12-2021, 08:56 AM   #2647
DownhillGoat
Franchise Player

Exp:

Probably my favourite movie of his. The fast food restaurant scene is so good.
DownhillGoat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2021, 10:33 AM   #2648
Harry Lime
Franchise Player

Exp:

Micheal Douglas has done surprisingly few rough and tumble type movies. After Romancing the Stone/Jewel of the Nile, you would think that he was going to fall more into the action/adventure acting category but he never really did. He is excellent in the few.

Black Rain (excellent)
Falling Down (D-fens!)
Ghost and the Darkness (almost qualifies as a monster movie)
The Game (Fincher!)

.... and that is almost it for leading roles. Every one a good watch. Somehow I managed to not list Basic Instinct and Shining Through. They arn't really in the same league.
Old 03-12-2021, 11:58 AM   #2649
sketchyt
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harry Lime View Post
Micheal Douglas has done surprisingly few rough and tumble type movies. After Romancing the Stone/Jewel of the Nile, you would think that he was going to fall more into the action/adventure acting category but he never really did. He is excellent in the few.

Black Rain (excellent)
Falling Down (D-fens!)
Ghost and the Darkness (almost qualifies as a monster movie)
The Game (Fincher!)

.... and that is almost it for leading roles. Every one a good watch. Somehow I managed to not list Basic Instinct and Shining Through. They arn't really in the same league.
He's also a complete pro... as told by Paul Rudd:

sketchyt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2021, 12:32 PM   #2650
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ResAlien View Post
Did you like Groundhog Day but instead of a straight comedy you wished it had more Frank Grillo, ridiculously over the top violent action, and bit roles by Mel Gibson and Will Sasso? You did? Well then I hope you’re wearing your boner pants because Boss Level was made just for you.

It wasn’t terrible. Decent Sunday afternoon mindless fare to kill 90 some odd minutes.
Has there ever been a decent movie featuring Grillo in a leading or key role? He's and all-time C-lister.
Erick Estrada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2021, 01:57 PM   #2651
Nadal Fan
Franchise Player

Exp:

I rewatched the original Terminator and for a 40 year old movie it's amazing how perfect it remains. The action, score, acting and story are all top notch. There are elements of horror, Sci Fi and action in there. If you haven't seen it yet I highly recommend it.
Nadal Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2021, 02:13 PM   #2652
Hemi-Cuda
wins 10 internets

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nadal Fan View Post
I rewatched the original Terminator and for a 40 year old movie it's amazing how perfect it remains. The action, score, acting and story are all top notch. There are elements of horror, Sci Fi and action in there. If you haven't seen it yet I highly recommend it.
I would say T2 is the perfect movie, flawless pretty much from start to finish and everything has aged very well. T1 I found a little harder to get into at the start (watched it for the first time a few years ago) as it was dripping in everything 80's, the score especially I found a little jarring with so much heavy synth use. Still a fantastic movie, but hasn't aged as gracefully as T2 has
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Hemi-Cuda For This Useful Post:
Old 03-12-2021, 02:17 PM   #2653
Wormius
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemi-Cuda View Post
I would say T2 is the perfect movie, flawless pretty much from start to finish and everything has aged very well. T1 I found a little harder to get into at the start (watched it for the first time a few years ago) as it was dripping in everything 80's, the score especially I found a little jarring with so much heavy synth use. Still a fantastic movie, but hasn't aged as gracefully as T2 has

I love T2, but I kind of think Aliens takes that prize. There is some nitpicking you can do about effects in T2. Actually Aliens and Aliens are probably perfecto.
Wormius is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Wormius For This Useful Post:
Old 03-12-2021, 02:23 PM   #2654
Nadal Fan
Franchise Player

Exp:

Sci Fi was in its glory days in the 80s/early 90s, films like Terminator, T2, Alien, Aliens , Blade Runner , The Thing all perfect. I would agree T2 is more polished no doubt, the budget was $100 mill for the sequel but only $6 mill for the first. I haven't seen T2 in about a decade, time for a rewatch. I was so annoyed to hear they ####ed up the 4K edition of it .
Old 03-12-2021, 02:31 PM   #2655
ResAlien
Lifetime In Suspension

Exp:

The Texas Chainsaw Massacre is a perfect movie.
ResAlien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2021, 02:39 PM   #2656
Nyah
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wormius View Post
I love T2, but I kind of think Aliens takes that prize. There is some nitpicking you can do about effects in T2. Actually Aliens and Aliens are probably perfecto.
Aliens is by far my favourite movie of that era. I could watch it once a week and never get bored of it. RIP Bill Paxton
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Nyah For This Useful Post:
Old 03-12-2021, 02:42 PM   #2657
Nyah
First Line Centre

Exp:

Also if you're in the mood for nostalgia, watch the original Tremors. It's so, so fun. Fred Ward is a criminally under-utilized actor and the woman who played the university student is now a scary looking convict. Also Kevin Bacon is amazing.
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Nyah For This Useful Post:
Old 03-12-2021, 02:55 PM   #2658
Nadal Fan
Franchise Player

Exp:

I'm also going to add Predator, RoboCop and Matrix in the great 80s/90s sci Fi club. I even thought Predator 2 was good, but not as good as the first one.
Old 03-12-2021, 02:57 PM   #2659
Jiri Hrdina
Franchise Player

Exp:

Aliens is a great action movie but for building suspense Alien is way better.
Jiri Hrdina is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Jiri Hrdina For This Useful Post:
Old 03-12-2021, 02:58 PM   #2660
Jiri Hrdina
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nadal Fan View Post
I'm also going to add Predator, RoboCop and Matrix in the great 80s/90s sci Fi club. I even thought Predator 2 was good, but not as good as the first one.
Under-rated 90s Sci-Fi:
Strange Days
Jiri Hrdina is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Jiri Hrdina For This Useful Post: