Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 01-22-2024, 05:28 PM   #261
TorqueDog
Franchise Player

Exp:

I used to have a Nespresso Vertuo round-head until moving out into my own place last year (the ex took it, NBD). It was spring, it was nice and bright at 5 AM and I really didn't need coffee to help me wake up so I never bothered replacing it with anything.

Well, fast forward to this winter and I finally decided that the darkness won; I need a coffee in the morning, and I don't want to go through the tedium of a French press.

I was going to just go with what I knew -- another Nespresso Vertuo round-head -- until I started watching too much James Hoffmann on YouTube and thought "I should get a fancy espresso machine where I have to grind, and tamp, and blah blah blah. I quickly realized that was a dumb idea and I would get sick of doing that much work and cleaning in short order, and so I was back to considering a Nespresso. Hearing this, a friend of mine started making fun of me for considering a Nespresso and told me about automatic bean-to-cup espresso machines.

After researching and watching and reading a few reviews plus taking the experience of my friend into account, I decided on the Philips 5400 fully-automatic espresso machine with LatteGo. Game. Changer. I friggin' love this thing. Since learning more about the machine and playing around, I've switched to having a morning caffe crema and sometimes I'll have an espresso or a caffe macchiato as an after-dinner treat. Such a great little toy. A bit spendy, but it does so much and I tend to use a lot of the options it offers. I invested in some good quality beans from The Roasterie in Kensington, and now my coffee game is strong. Love it.
TorqueDog is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to TorqueDog For This Useful Post:
Old 01-22-2024, 06:00 PM   #262
indes
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by TorqueDog View Post
I used to have a Nespresso Vertuo round-head until moving out into my own place last year (the ex took it, NBD). It was spring, it was nice and bright at 5 AM and I really didn't need coffee to help me wake up so I never bothered replacing it with anything.

Well, fast forward to this winter and I finally decided that the darkness won; I need a coffee in the morning, and I don't want to go through the tedium of a French press.

I was going to just go with what I knew -- another Nespresso Vertuo round-head -- until I started watching too much James Hoffmann on YouTube and thought "I should get a fancy espresso machine where I have to grind, and tamp, and blah blah blah. I quickly realized that was a dumb idea and I would get sick of doing that much work and cleaning in short order, and so I was back to considering a Nespresso. Hearing this, a friend of mine started making fun of me for considering a Nespresso and told me about automatic bean-to-cup espresso machines.

After researching and watching and reading a few reviews plus taking the experience of my friend into account, I decided on the Philips 5400 fully-automatic espresso machine with LatteGo. Game. Changer. I friggin' love this thing. Since learning more about the machine and playing around, I've switched to having a morning caffe crema and sometimes I'll have an espresso or a caffe macchiato as an after-dinner treat. Such a great little toy. A bit spendy, but it does so much and I tend to use a lot of the options it offers. I invested in some good quality beans from The Roasterie in Kensington, and now my coffee game is strong. Love it.
I have the 3200 and it's amazing. I choose not to remember my sad sad coffee life before this one. I don't enjoy the fancy drinks often but they're great for entertaining and I bet I've saved the price of the machine (600$ on prime days) by making my wife vanilla lattes & London fogs at home instead of her going to Starbucks.

I'm jealous because I was looking at the 5400 but couldn't justify it once the 3200 was on sale. The Lavazza extra creamy is my favorite followed by kicking horse smart ass. I've tried quite a few good ones from Winners/home sense too.
indes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2024, 04:28 AM   #263
Snuffleupagus
Franchise Player

Exp:

$1200.00 coffee machines, high priced beans and creamy treats.

I feel so deprived with my 2 K-cups of mountain roast a day
Snuffleupagus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2024, 06:48 AM   #264
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

K-cup coffee is a travesty, and you can do far better than that for the same price. Hell, I'm enjoying a cup of drip right now from my $90 machine.
Fuzz is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Fuzz For This Useful Post:
Old 01-23-2024, 06:54 AM   #265
Wormius
Franchise Player

Exp:

K-Cups are easy enough to make your own reusable cups so, there’s that. If you want it fresh, drip is easy enough. There are some nice ones that are close to getting V60 or Chemex like results. French press if you like drinking grounds, and you can get good ones at Winners for $20.
Wormius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2024, 08:02 AM   #266
edslunch
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by TorqueDog View Post

Looks amazing. I'm half waiting for the Rancilio Silvia my wife gave me to die so I can move to something more convenient, but it's been 22 years and counting....

edslunch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2024, 08:41 AM   #267
Hack&Lube
Atomic Nerd

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuzz View Post
K-cup coffee is a travesty, and you can do far better than that for the same price. Hell, I'm enjoying a cup of drip right now from my $90 machine.
Look I have an espresso machine, an automatic grinder, a hario v60, etc. but sometimes I just need a quick coffee with no prep and no mess and kcups are great when on sale. I bought 96 McDonalds (yes its great coffee) K-Cups on clearance for $16.
Hack&Lube is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2024, 08:44 AM   #268
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hack&Lube View Post
Look I have an espresso machine, an automatic grinder, a hario v60, etc. but sometimes I just need a quick coffee with no prep and no mess and kcups are great when on sale. I bought 96 McDonalds (yes its great coffee) K-Cups on clearance for $16.
McDonalds K-cups are some of the best. We had a machine at work for years, and while they are passable as a source of caffeine, I just couldn't imagine having one at home.
Fuzz is online now   Reply With Quote