Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-22-2019, 10:43 AM   #41
transplant99
Fearmongerer

Location: Wondering when # became hashtag and not a number sign.
Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geeoff View Post
Carolina isn't a cap team. Also, I've heard that Aho and Pesce are on the block. Another Canes rebuild?
They dont need to be a cap team.

They still need to reach the floor as well.

Aho is going no where.

Pesce maybe dealt, but that is a huge area of strength for them. So that makes sense.
Old 06-22-2019, 10:45 AM   #42
Textcritic
Acerbic Cyberbully

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flash Walken View Post
So to move Neal the cost is about 4 first rounders.
Two big differences between Marleau's and Neal's contracts: 1) Marleau's deal is a toxic +35 contract, and 2) it carries a full NMC.

Quote:
Originally Posted by woob
"...harem warfare? like all your wives dressup and go paintballing?"
"The Lying Pen of Scribes" Ancient Manuscript Forgeries Project
Textcritic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2019, 10:51 AM   #43
transplant99
Fearmongerer

Location: Wondering when # became hashtag and not a number sign.
Exp:

Marleau obviously knew this was coming as he has already released this statement..

Spoilered for size.

Spoiler!
Old 06-22-2019, 11:02 AM   #44
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

This is a steep price for the Leafs but this was always the risk when signing him in the first place.
Erick Estrada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2019, 11:12 AM   #45
Flash Walken
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Textcritic View Post
Two big differences between Marleau's and Neal's contracts: 1) Marleau's deal is a toxic +35 contract, and 2) it carries a full NMC.
Ok man.
Flash Walken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2019, 11:36 AM   #46
dissentowner
Franchise Player

Exp:

I hate this deal because now Marleau will sign a one year deal for peanuts with SJ and he can still play. F you SJ.
dissentowner is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2019, 11:43 AM   #47
Strange Brew
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Textcritic View Post
It’s one year. That is the biggest difference.

Very impressed Carolina went out and bought a first round pick.

So Neal wouldn’t cost 4 first rounders to get rid of because he can be bought out, but it’s not so simple since he’d stay on the books for 8 years.

In other words, Neal is not moveable without taking money back.
Strange Brew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2019, 11:46 AM   #48
Roof-Daddy
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by dissentowner View Post
I hate this deal because now Marleau will sign a one year deal for peanuts with SJ and he can still play. F you SJ.
Yeap. They'll probably get 30+ goals and 90+ points for roughly $2 million of cap space on two players with Marleau and Jumbo.
Roof-Daddy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Roof-Daddy For This Useful Post:
Old 06-22-2019, 05:56 PM   #49
savemedrzaius
Help, save, whatever.

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by dissentowner View Post
Marleau sucks. You can look at his stats and think he is decent but he is done. There is a reason the Leafs were willing to give a 1st to get rid of the guy.

This is all on Lou. Why do you sign Marleau to a 3 year deal when it was clear the Leafs would need to sign these young guys this year.

Anyways Patrick Marleau and a 1st for Kappy and Mango.

It's not that bad. I would have hated to lose either of those 2 just for one year of Marleau's corpse.
savemedrzaius is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to savemedrzaius For This Useful Post:
Old 06-22-2019, 06:37 PM   #50
Poe969
Franchise Player

Exp:

I'm pretty sure Marleau has that degenerative back thing....I would love if Carolina didnt have to buy him out.
Old 06-22-2019, 06:53 PM   #51
Snuffleupagus
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poe969 View Post
I'm pretty sure Marleau has that degenerative back thing....I would love if Carolina didnt have to buy him out.
They don't need the cap space, cheaper to just buy him out.
Snuffleupagus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2019, 11:32 AM   #52
Ducay
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Struch View Post
So the cost of a late 1st round draft pick is $6,250,000?
Yes and no. Yes in terms of actual $ cost out the door, but then there is so much more at play given cap space is likely worth more than the actual $ itself, especially with a team like the Leafs where actual $ out the door is irrelevant. I doubt you'd ever find a team that would sell a 1st round pick for $6m actual cash (not even sure you can make that sort of a trade, but for argument's sake, why not)
Ducay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2019, 12:01 PM   #53
Vinny01
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flash Walken View Post
So to move Neal the cost is about 4 first rounders.
Another hilariously bad take in vintage drive-by fashion. In my opinion your bit got stale years ago but you must be a believer in once a classic always a classic

Buying out Marleau does zero for cap relief as it was a 35+ contract, he only wants to play in SJ so there is no value in any team trading for him as he won’t play there. Any team that buys him out has $6.25M in dead cap so the only reason to take on the deal is to buy a draft pick. He has a full NMC which fully limits the return and he is 40 years old. To equate one year of Marleau to one year of Neal is inaccurate and only remotely comparable.
Vinny01 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Vinny01 For This Useful Post:
Old 06-23-2019, 12:12 PM   #54
Sylvanfan
Appealing my suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by savemedrzaius View Post
Marleau sucks. You can look at his stats and think he is decent but he is done. There is a reason the Leafs were willing to give a 1st to get rid of the guy.

This is all on Lou. Why do you sign Marleau to a 3 year deal when it was clear the Leafs would need to sign these young guys this year.

It's not that bad. I would have hated to lose either of those 2 just for one year of Marleau's corpse.
I think this is more related to the cost of acquiring Tavares. When the Leafs signed Marleau it was really long odds that they would land Tavares the next year. Getting Tavares changed everything and I suspect they knew this could happen.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Sylvanfan For This Useful Post:
Old 06-23-2019, 12:27 PM   #55
Strange Brew
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinny01 View Post
Another hilariously bad take in vintage drive-by fashion. In my opinion your bit got stale years ago but you must be a believer in once a classic always a classic

Buying out Marleau does zero for cap relief as it was a 35+ contract, he only wants to play in SJ so there is no value in any team trading for him as he won’t play there. Any team that buys him out has $6.25M in dead cap so the only reason to take on the deal is to buy a draft pick. He has a full NMC which fully limits the return and he is 40 years old. To equate one year of Marleau to one year of Neal is inaccurate and only remotely comparable.
Just my opinion but I don't think buyouts are much of an advantage as you're just spreading the pain out over a longer period.

I think Carolina hit a homerun getting a first for Marleau given their cap profile. But trading Neal without taking any salary back would be just about impossible IMO with 4 years left on his deal.
Old 06-23-2019, 01:14 PM   #56
Vinny01
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Strange Brew View Post
Just my opinion but I don't think buyouts are much of an advantage as you're just spreading the pain out over a longer period.

I think Carolina hit a homerun getting a first for Marleau given their cap profile. But trading Neal without taking any salary back would be just about impossible IMO with 4 years left on his deal.
The Marleau buyout does not provide any cap relief though. This team has $3M in extra space this summer because they bought out Brouwer. I just think the conclusion that in order to dump Neal it will require 4 1st round picks is a trolling comment to make because the situations are far different b

I agree there would be no realistic way to dump Neal by taking zero salary back but I don’t think that was ever a consideration. It was always a money in, money out deal if the Flames found a taker for Neal.
Vinny01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2019, 02:21 PM   #57
dissentowner
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by savemedrzaius View Post

Marleau does not suck half as bad as Leaf fans.
dissentowner is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to dissentowner For This Useful Post:
Old 06-23-2019, 02:57 PM   #58
Strange Brew
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinny01 View Post
The Marleau buyout does not provide any cap relief though. This team has $3M in extra space this summer because they bought out Brouwer. I just think the conclusion that in order to dump Neal it will require 4 1st round picks is a trolling comment to make because the situations are far different b

I agree there would be no realistic way to dump Neal by taking zero salary back but I don’t think that was ever a consideration. It was always a money in, money out deal if the Flames found a taker for Neal.
The $3 million savings in the Brouwer buyout in this year is great. But whereas he would be off the books after next year, we get two additional years of dead money for Mr. Brouwer so I honestly don’t know which is worse.

For Carolina, I think one year of Marleau’s cap hit and then having him off the books is preferable.
Old 06-27-2019, 10:52 AM   #59
TheScorpion
First round-bust

Exp:

the Hurricanes have bought out Marleau

https://twitter.com/user/status/1144283299117969409

TheScorpion is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2019, 10:55 AM   #60
Toonage
Taking a while to get to 5000

Exp:

Thats an expensive mid to late 1st rounder they bought.
Toonage is offline   Reply With Quote