Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-19-2019, 10:19 AM   #3061
Muta
Franchise Player

Exp:

I can't wait until we get another Sky Palace when oil is up to $140 a barrel on April 17th!
Muta is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Muta For This Useful Post:
Old 03-19-2019, 10:19 AM   #3062
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Travis Munroe View Post
Notley
- Building 20 schools (so that those kids can pay off government debt when they are adults)
- Plan for health care with Kenney is privatize it... false
- She is building the Calgary Caner center.... wasn't that started by the PC's and was put on hold due to finances?
- She is upgrading deerfoot.... yes it can use an upgrade but far from a priority imo

Can anyone confirm that she is creating jobs? All I ever see in the media is job losses and record unemployment but based on this speech, jobs are falling from the sky.

Credit where it is due however, she speaks much better when answering questions than reading a pre written speech that I assume she didn't write.
The PC's plan was a farce of a "Cancer Centre" changing the plan from where it is now, to cutting a portion of the South Hospital and calling it a cancer centre. The NDP did what the PC's had been promising for over a decade. This is one of those things that should have just been done years ago, and PC dithering probably cost our health care system a lot more in the long term than had they just built it back when it was needed back in the early 2000's. Make no mistake, had Prentice got in we would be waiting another 20 years for a proper facility, and the ridiculous South Hospital plan would have been a costly boondogle.
Fuzz is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Fuzz For This Useful Post:
Old 03-19-2019, 10:21 AM   #3063
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by transplant99 View Post
The Ipsos poll that was released today and was conducted over the weekend.

https://globalnews.ca/news/5069555/u...psos-march-19/
I'm surprised the NDP numbers are that high quite frankly as I expect their numbers to be lower once the votes are tallied.
Erick Estrada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2019, 10:22 AM   #3064
GordonBlue
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ozy_Flame View Post
They're tweeting all the time. Get on their mailing list too. Are you sticking your head in the sand here? Or are you referring to the fact that they haven't been front and center in the media lately?

Sometimes no news is good news, especially with recent events relating to other parties.
not on their mailing list and I'm not on twitter. despite not being on twitter, I usually get the messages that the NDP and UCP are selling. not so for the alberta party.

I don't have my head in the sand, but think they really need to get on the radar of mainstream media.

the average person isn't actively signing up to political party mailing lists.

I shouldn't have to seek them out, especially with two options that are unacceptable to a lot of people. they should be working harder to get their message out there.

I don't believe I've seen a print ad for them, heard them on the radio, seen a TV ad. they have to get the masses to know there is an option and a viable one at that.

they are not doing that. even in this thread with a lot of politically engaged people, has there been any alberta party discussion? I haven't seen any other than a few people saying "I'm not going to waste my vote on a nothing party."

Last edited by GordonBlue; 03-19-2019 at 10:27 AM.
GordonBlue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2019, 10:25 AM   #3065
Wiggum_PI
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Muta View Post
I can't wait until we get another Sky Palace when oil is up to $140 a barrel on April 17th!
Or if Notley wins again, we can keep getting free light bulbs, shower heads, and thermostats from a Crown Corporation that makes zero dollars of profit. Yay!
Wiggum_PI is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Wiggum_PI For This Useful Post:
Old 03-19-2019, 10:25 AM   #3066
CorsiHockeyLeague
Franchise Player

Exp:

Those numbers aren't too surprising, to me.

If they're going to replace Kenney, they have to do it basically now. This week. I suspect they won't, but it seems like a mistake, to me.
"The great promise of the Internet was that more information would automatically yield better decisions. The great disappointment is that more information actually yields more possibilities to confirm what you already believed anyway." - Brian Eno
CorsiHockeyLeague is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2019, 10:26 AM   #3067
Bunk
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erick Estrada View Post
I'm surprised the NDP numbers are that high quite frankly as I expect their numbers to be lower once the votes are tallied.
There is a lot of regional disparity. They are much more popular in Edmonton than anywhere else in the province.

To win, you must win in 2 of 3 of Calgary, Edmonton, Rural/Small city.
Old 03-19-2019, 10:27 AM   #3068
Travis Munroe
RealtorŪ

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by troutman View Post
Give me a break. Don't pretend like you are the one taking the high road here. You wrote a list of condescending questions. Check yourself.
"Check yourself" as in the teenager tough guy comment or "check yourself" as in go back and read comments I typed? Assuming it is to go re read my comments, I don't believe they were condescending. They were my biased thoughts and it opened a great disucssion with a number of posters in favor of both the NDP and UCP. I ignored your 1 liner while you ignored the specific question.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny Makarov View Post
You've got to be chugging some pretty concentrated blue koolaid if you think Jason Kenney has changed.

and is it really smart for someone using their real name and their business contact to be talking about politics on here?
I think that political banter is actually healthy. When remarks turn personal or attack each other it becomes an issue. Sharing my thoughts and understanding why people who are on the other end of the spectrum think the way they do is what I would call an attempt to educate myself to be more balanced in my thinking (even if it doesn't come across that way).

If someone chooses not to work with me because of my political views then it is what it is. I have a number of clients who are strong NDP supporters and always enjoy candid discussions about each party.

And I think that Kenneys mindset around some old school thoughts has changed. Likely not as much as it should but I also believe (or hope) those around him are able to keep him in check if he is crossing the line.

OFFICIAL CP REALTOR & PROPERTY MANAGER
Travis Munroe | Century 21 Elevate | 403.971.4300

Residential Buying & Selling
info@tmunroe.com
www.tmunroe.com

Property Management
travis@mpmCalgary.com
www.mpmCalgary.com
Travis Munroe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2019, 10:27 AM   #3069
Bring_Back_Shantz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GordonBlue View Post
not on their mailing list and I'm not on twitter. despite not being on twitter, I usually get the messages that the NDP and UCP are selling. not so for the alberta party.

I don't have my head in the sand, but think they really need to get on the radar of mainstream media.

I shouldn't have to seek them out, especially with two options that are unacceptable to a lot of people. they should be working harder to get their message out there.

I don't believe I've seen a print ad for them, heard them on the radio, seen a TV ad. they have to get the masses to know there is an option and a viable one at that.

they are not doing that.

Well, we are giving it a try.
I posted the party website above, I would encourage you to take a look.
If the 2 big options really are unacceptable to you, then I would really encourage you to pass it along to people you know, or even sign up to volunteer.

We've only got so much money and resources, and for people that want to see a change, now is a great time to do a little bit to see that.
It doesn't take much time to have a read, or pass it along.
I hope you like what you see in that link, and I hope you want to do a little more to see the changes you want.
The Following User Says Thank You to Bring_Back_Shantz For This Useful Post:
Old 03-19-2019, 10:28 AM   #3070
Wiggum_PI
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CorsiHockeyLeague View Post
Those numbers aren't too surprising, to me.

If they're going to replace Kenney, they have to do it basically now. This week. I suspect they won't, but it seems like a mistake, to me.
Unless he actually illegally contributed money to Callaway's campaign, I don't see any reason he should be gone. The collusion was definitely a dumb and sleazy thing to do, but not necessarily illegal.
Old 03-19-2019, 10:28 AM   #3071
Muta
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wiggum_PI View Post
Or if Notley wins again, we can keep getting free light bulbs, shower heads, and thermostats from a Crown Corporation that makes zero dollars of profit. Yay!
Damn! I didn't get free light bulbs, shower heads or thermostats. Must've not been home when they came by with my presents!
Muta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2019, 10:30 AM   #3072
CorsiHockeyLeague
Franchise Player

Exp:

If someone doesn't want to use Travis as a realtor just because they don't like who he's planning to vote for, that seems incredibly dumb.

Quote:
Unless he actually illegally contributed money to Callaway's campaign, I don't see any reason he should be gone. The collusion was definitely a dumb and sleazy thing to do, but not necessarily illegal.
Doing something illegal is not the only reason to replace a leader. Right now, Kenney is a drag on the UCP's brand, while Notley is Buoying the NDP's. As I say, that makes some sense to me - I think I'd rather have Notley as a premier than Kenney, while I'd rather have the UCP's platform being enacted (or, at least, most of it) than the NDP's.

If Kenney were replaced tomorrow by someone relatively benign, even someone completely uninspiring, it would increase my likelihood of voting for the UCP. Like, if Stephen Mandel were the UCP leader instead of the AP leader, I'm voting UCP almost for sure.
"The great promise of the Internet was that more information would automatically yield better decisions. The great disappointment is that more information actually yields more possibilities to confirm what you already believed anyway." - Brian Eno

Last edited by CorsiHockeyLeague; 03-19-2019 at 10:32 AM.
CorsiHockeyLeague is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to CorsiHockeyLeague For This Useful Post:
Old 03-19-2019, 10:30 AM   #3073
GordonBlue
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bring_Back_Shantz View Post
Well, we are giving it a try.
I posted the party website above, I would encourage you to take a look.
If the 2 big options really are unacceptable to you, then I would really encourage you to pass it along to people you know, or even sign up to volunteer.

We've only got so much money and resources, and for people that want to see a change, now is a great time to do a little bit to see that.
It doesn't take much time to have a read, or pass it along.
I hope you like what you see in that link, and I hope you want to do a little more to see the changes you want.
I honestly will. There's got to be a better way than the roads UCP and NDP travel on.
GordonBlue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2019, 10:30 AM   #3074
Wiggum_PI
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Muta View Post
Damn! I didn't get free light bulbs, shower heads or thermostats. Must've not been home when they came by with my presents!
Don't worry, someone else got your supply instead. Maybe next time...lol
Old 03-19-2019, 10:31 AM   #3075
Ozy_Flame

Posted the 6 millionth post!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GordonBlue View Post

they are not doing that. even in this thread with a lot of politically engaged people, has there been any alberta party discussion? I haven't seen any other than a few people saying "I'm not going to waste my vote on a nothing party."
I do agree with you. The Alberta Party has not been visible in non-social media streams, and it has always been a visibility issue with them. I am a member, and I have had a bit of issue with it.

Having said that, you might see more ramp up in the next month. Is it too little, too late? Possibly, but the AP's goal wasn't to win this election; I believe Greg Clark mention a couple of years ago that the goal was to get to around 10% of votes this election. It's a long-game.

The best thing they could do is take out a full page ad in the Herald and the Journal in two weeks, and tell Albertans they are the "middle ground" that grabs the best of both parties - social progressiveness and fiscal responsibility, without the fireworks and drama.
Ozy_Flame is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Ozy_Flame For This Useful Post:
Old 03-19-2019, 10:31 AM   #3076
Hockeyguy15
Franchise Player

Exp:

UCP could do me a huge favour and get Kenney out of there, I'm not sure I can stomach voting for him.
Hockeyguy15 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Hockeyguy15 For This Useful Post:
Old 03-19-2019, 10:34 AM   #3077
Bunk
Franchise Player

Exp:

Right in the middle of Edmonton's first round playoff series. Ha ha, just kidding. Edmonton is No Good.
Old 03-19-2019, 10:35 AM   #3078
Bring_Back_Shantz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Well that's an interesting question re: was anything illegal.
There are spending limits, and there are limits on who can contribute, specifically, that corporations can't.

If Callaway really took money from a corporation, that's illegal.
If Callaway and Kenny basically colluded to run as a single campaign, then the argument can be made that Kenny was in violation of spending limits, and that he is also on the hook for the corporate donations.

I don't have all the facts, but I'll be watching this pretty closely, as there could be some pretty severe consequences, depending on how things played out.
The Following User Says Thank You to Bring_Back_Shantz For This Useful Post:
Old 03-19-2019, 10:35 AM   #3079
Travis Munroe
RealtorŪ

Exp:

I think free was an exaggeration but people were getting nest thermostats (multiple) for more than half off I believe.
The credit for triple pane windows sounds like a huge waste of money as I keep being told that triple vs double is such a minor difference and the real reason one would go with triple is for noise.

Is the blue collar / white collar difference between Edmonton and Calgary (assuming) the main reason for such different voting or is there something else I am missing?

OFFICIAL CP REALTOR & PROPERTY MANAGER
Travis Munroe | Century 21 Elevate | 403.971.4300

Residential Buying & Selling
info@tmunroe.com
www.tmunroe.com

Property Management
travis@mpmCalgary.com
www.mpmCalgary.com
Travis Munroe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2019, 10:35 AM   #3080
Ozy_Flame

Posted the 6 millionth post!

Exp:

For anyone considering the AP as an option and focused on the economy, you can see their Shadow Budget for 2018-2019. They have done a good job doing shadow budgets in recent years and I think it's important to know how a non-governing party would actually manage the budget. I am not sure this is something the UCP has done, although I may be wrong.
Ozy_Flame is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Ozy_Flame For This Useful Post: