Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 04-19-2013, 05:34 PM   #21
I-Hate-Hulse
Franchise Player

Exp:

What are the advantages / disadvantages of mounting to the side of the house with brackets vs a cement block?
I-Hate-Hulse is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to I-Hate-Hulse For This Useful Post:
Old 04-19-2013, 07:42 PM   #22
Northendzone
Franchise Player

Exp:

The disadvantages of attaching it to your house are could cause house to vibrate if unit vibrates.

I opted to attach it to the house via brackets because I did not want a $4000 purchase to sit on the ground
Old 04-19-2013, 07:46 PM   #23
Ace
First Line Centre

Exp:

I chose to get a pad cause I didn't want the potential damage to my house, guess this is personal preference. The pad they gave me was actually made out of some kind of composite (not cement)

Also if it's attached to your house you may find it preferable to be able to get under the unit for whatever reason, (lawncare)

Last edited by Ace; 04-19-2013 at 07:48 PM.
Ace is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Ace For This Useful Post:
Old 04-19-2013, 09:32 PM   #24
First Lady
First Line Centre

Exp:

This may be of interest ...

Quote:
Relief sought from noisy home air conditioners

City looking for ways to muffle loud irritant

Neighbourhood tempers flaring over noisy air conditioners could cool down if proposed noise bylaw changes are implemented.

Calgary may soon join other cities that have measures in place to control the rattle and hum of residential air conditioners.

A notice of motion being introduced to city council on Monday is asking city administration to investigates solutions to rumbling air conditioners that have “a demonstrable impact on the health and quality of life of adjacent neighbours.”

“We have received a number of calls over many years,” said Ald. Druh Farrell, who signed the notice of motion with Mayor Naheed Nenshi and Ald. Shane Keating.

“It’s not an irritant for everyone — some people can live with it. Other people, it absolutely drives them crazy. Some people are more sensitive to it.”

Calgary’s bylaw department recorded 2,400 noise complaints last year. Most were loud music calls, nearly 500 were due to construction, and 131 complaints were related to air conditioners, generators, fans and vacuums, according to Animal and Bylaw Services.

Read more: http://www.calgaryherald.com/technol...#ixzz2QyG2Ps2j
First Lady is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to First Lady For This Useful Post:
Old 04-19-2013, 10:26 PM   #25
Northendzone
Franchise Player

Exp:

But loud CAC's save lives?

I believe that this is another advantage of more exspensive units, they are quieter, an important consideration when there are only 8 or so feet between houses
Old 04-20-2013, 12:22 PM   #26
ken0042
Playboy Mansion Poolboy

Location: Close enough to make a beer run during a TV timeout
Exp:

Makes me wonder if the people who are complaining about loud AC units are doing so partially due to envy. I have heard of this from co-workers; complaining that their neighbour's AC is too loud. However they find it too loud because they have to keep their windows open due to not having AC.

Which brings me to a couple of other side benefits from having AC. Both are due to not having to leave windows open:

- Security. Either from intruders or from changing weather. (Rain, dust, smoke, etc.) Having central AC means you don't have to keep a schedule of opening and closing windows; nor do you have to worry about somebody using an open window to break into your house.

- Noise. In the summer it doesn't bug me if there is noise from traffic or the neighbours having a party. The windows are only open if I feel like having them open.
ken0042 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2013, 11:39 AM   #27
psicodude
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by I-Hate-Hulse View Post
What are the advantages / disadvantages of mounting to the side of the house with brackets vs a cement block?
My installer told me the only thing that can really damage your compressor is leaves and/or debris. Snow/water are fine. So, in an area with lots of trees or shrubs, they prefer to attach it to the house to get it off the ground to reduce the chances of leaves getting piled up around it. He also mentioned proximity to windows as a determining factor, but didn't elaborate.
psicodude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2013, 08:56 PM   #28
DoubleK
Franchise Player

Exp:

Has anyone had any experience in using Sears Home Services for AC install?

They have Carrier's on for 3 years equal payment with no interest.
DoubleK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2013, 09:08 PM   #29
Sylvanfan
Appealing my suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by I-Hate-Hulse View Post
In New houses the bracket is needed because the soil near the house isn't settled. There is a lot of vibration in these units and over 10 years the fasteners will need to be replaced the concrete pad on settled ground is better, but on a brand new home, not an option.
Old 05-12-2013, 09:19 PM   #30
Sylvanfan
Appealing my suspension

Exp:

I just decided on a new A/C Furnaces system for my house. Seek out prices you can get duct cleaning thrown in too. Places like Sears/Home Depot, can offer better financing, but not the best price unless you get the same sales guy. There are some rebates to be had now, but really the difference in these units is the noise. You have AC your windows will be closed. What do you care about noise?
Old 05-12-2013, 09:39 PM   #31
Ironhorse
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoubleK View Post
Has anyone had any experience in using Sears Home Services for AC install?

They have Carrier's on for 3 years equal payment with no interest.
That's where ours came from 6 years ago. Great service and install. He even moved the thermostat to a better location in the house.
Ironhorse is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Ironhorse For This Useful Post:
Old 05-12-2013, 09:45 PM   #32
redflamesfan08
Backup Goalie

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sylvanfan View Post
I just decided on a new A/C Furnaces system for my house. Seek out prices you can get duct cleaning thrown in too. Places like Sears/Home Depot, can offer better financing, but not the best price unless you get the same sales guy. There are some rebates to be had now, but really the difference in these units is the noise. You have AC your windows will be closed. What do you care about noise?
And this is why spending time outside one's house in the city is becoming less enjoyable every year. Probably the same thought process my neighbours' went through.
redflamesfan08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2013, 10:02 PM   #33
Sylvanfan
Appealing my suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by redflamesfan08 View Post
And this is why spending time outside one's house in the city is becoming less enjoyable every year. Probably the same thought process my neighbours' went through.
I don't buy that at all. Both my neighbours have older AC units, I don't hear them at all. There are a lot of other things that are noisier. Maybe in new neighbourhoods where the houses are crammed together, but even then I think it pales in comparison to sirens, barking dogs and road noise.
Old 05-12-2013, 10:07 PM   #34
redflamesfan08
Backup Goalie

Exp:

Quote:
I don't buy that at all. Both my neighbours have older AC units, I don't hear them at all. There are a lot of other things that are noisier. Maybe in new neighbourhoods where the houses are crammed together, but even then I think it pales in comparison to sirens, barking dogs and road noise.
Its definitely a newer neighbourhood (and I'd assume a newer AC unit as well). Backyard patio on the same side of the house as their AC, and relaxing outside with a beer isn't as relaxing as it should be. I'll have to stop trying to get my dogs to stop barking as payback.
redflamesfan08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2013, 11:31 PM   #35
AMG_G
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Its definitely a newer neighbourhood (and I'd assume a newer AC unit as well). Backyard patio on the same side of the house as their AC, and relaxing outside with a beer isn't as relaxing as it should be. I'll have to stop trying to get my dogs to stop barking as payback.

Brian is that you?
AMG_G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2013, 11:33 PM   #36
AMG_G
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:

Brian is that you? Your dogs are the main reason why I installed the ac.
AMG_G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2013, 10:41 PM   #37
I-Hate-Hulse
Franchise Player

Exp:

Any thoughts on how powerful a unit to go with in Calgary? I had 2 quotes specing a 3 ton unit, and a guy I believe to be on the straight and level spec a 4 ton unit in his quote (he got to a 3.3, but they don't make a 3.5 in the compact unit I'm looking for).

Place is 10 years old, 2 story infill, about 2000 sq ft above grade.

And yes, follow EVERLAST's advice to call around... I'm at at 25% difference from the high quote to the low one, on the same damn Carrier unit. (all established authorized Carrier dealers) Scratching my head on that one...
I-Hate-Hulse is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to I-Hate-Hulse For This Useful Post:
Old 05-21-2013, 08:53 PM   #38
gottabekd
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

I'm bumping this in hopes of getting some more recommendations.

My townhouse has an old AC unit from the 70s. It turns on makes a sufficient amount of noise to tell me that things are mostly in working order, but it doesn't cool. I'm guessing it could probably be repaired or maybe just recharged, but is there any way in hell an AC company would even bother? Or would they just laugh at the antique, and start quoting me for a replacement unit?

I'm fine with shelling out for a new unit. Just wondering if anyone has any further recommendations or suggestions. Thanks.
gottabekd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2013, 09:59 PM   #39
OldDutch
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Shameless plug of fellow CP'er, but spend the smallish amount and get Keith to do it. He'll do an awesome job on cleaning the ductwork. Also, you want to have this done right as dust /debris getting sucked into the coils can really mess up the reliability of your AC (which you dropped thousands on). You want a clean system off the go, not some guy who is doing it for free and will do a half a** job. Just my 2 cents.
OldDutch is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to OldDutch For This Useful Post:
Old 05-21-2013, 10:10 PM   #40
EVERLAST
Franchise Player

Location: https://homestars.com/companies/2808346-keith-my-furnace-guy
Exp:

One more time for those not reading thru entire thread....5 quotes and demand comparable and references need to be checked thru BBB website ...there are allot of hacks out there.

My personal preference is Jack at Fagnan's as the A/C installer of choice...2nd place is Just in Time Furnace.....3rd place is Sun Valley HVAC
EVERLAST is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to EVERLAST For This Useful Post: