Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 04-03-2013, 12:32 AM   #1
You Need a Thneed
Voted for Kodos

Exp:
Default Music recording/remixing software and equipment

My wife and I want to get into a little bit of playing around with recording and remixing music.

We don't have a huge budget, nor room to get much of a setup, but we just want something good enough to do a good job. Though it doesn't have to be free.

We have an iMac, and I've got a little sound board and a couple microphones that could be used.

Recommendations? Is it worth going to something like apple's Logic Pro? Or is that lacking in remixing capabilities? Is it essential to have a midi controller for something like that? What about sound banks? Would I need something on the side for that?
You Need a Thneed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2013, 06:01 AM   #2
UKflames
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

If your using a Mac could you not get hold of a copy of Garageband, i thought it came free with all macs/idaps nowadays. Maybe you can download from the apple site or something (sorry i am a PC user).

Garageband should enable you to try out a few ideas before you shell out some heavy dollars for a proper DAW (Digital Audio workstation) like Logic pro. If you are going to shell out i would recommend you try a few different programmes first. Whilst they all work in essentially the same way they can have a different work flow feel to them, what works for one doesn't work for someone else.

A Midi controller isn't essential unless you are planning on having some hardware like a keyboard or mixer etc. If the sound card you have has inputs you can feed that into whatever programme you end up using. If you want to spend some money on hardware make your first purchase a decent set of speakers before anything else. Computer or hifi speakers will onyl get you so far and are designed to make your music sound good. A proper set of music producing speaker are eq'd flat and will show your music warts and all, allowing you to hear where adjustments are neccesary.

Regarding sound banks, any DAW you choose should come with a selection to start you off but there are a lot of websites out there that give away a selection when you sign up for their email list, I also get a lot of mine off computer music magazines.

I am no expert, by along way, but I am happy to help where I can with any other questions.
UKflames is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to UKflames For This Useful Post:
Old 04-03-2013, 09:15 AM   #3
northcrunk
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Personally I use Reaper DAW. It is amazing, doesn't take up a ton of your memory to use and is quick. The workflow is great and you can install the program to a usb stick so you have it portable all the time.

www.reaper.fm

The demo is fully functioning and is 60 days but you don't get locked out after 60 days. If you want to make money off your stuff a basic licence for reaper is $60 to sell up to $20,000. The full licence is $250 but you can upgrade later if you buy a basic licence for $190.

The updates are ongoing and it has a really good suite of reaper plug ins for mastering, effects, vocal tuning.

As for a midi controller I would reccomend it big time but pick up a usb audio interface as well as they come with hardware ASIO drivers which will give you zero latency from your midi controller. I have an m-audio midi controller and it is great. The new axioms have drum pads that you can load samples into like an MPC.
These can be picked up for about $100 for a basic model and they have phantom power for condensor mics. I would not go with a usb mic as you will get a lot of noise from the computer through the line and will have to crank your gain way down.

You could also take advantage of some of the android apps if your on android. Supreme MPA has pretty much replaced by MPC.

You can also go on looperman.com to get free loops but most people just want credit for their work if you use it in a commercial project.

Audacity is a great free program for editing WAV files to edit your samples before you load them into your DAW.

For VSTi go to www.vstplanet.com or www.dskmusic.com and they have a ton of free VSTs. You could buy royalty free sample packs and there are a lot of sites out there that sell them. Lemme know if you guys have any questions, I just opened my beat store a few weeks ago www.tannasloan.com
northcrunk is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to northcrunk For This Useful Post: