Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 06-24-2019, 03:02 PM   #261
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weitz View Post
You mean sending a cross for Sinclair to head in all game wasn't a good plan?
Haha! I was going to post this.

"Defend Sinclair because the rest of them just punt it into Row Z...."

Its like....Junior High School. Sweden were far and away the better team and if not for some firedrill defending and luck this game would have been out of hand.

The better team won, so I cant complain. It sucks and Sinclair deserved better.

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
Locke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2019, 03:04 PM   #262
SebC
tromboner

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weitz View Post
Yah I don't know enough about the roster to really comment but it seems weird to have your 64' sub taking the kicks seems really odd.
Her (lack of) height might have something do with it. In a situation where you're sticking everyone in the box, have the one who won't win a header deliver the ball.
SebC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2019, 03:12 PM   #263
M*A*S*H 4077
Franchise Player

Exp:

Wow, the coach said they don’t have a designated taker. I really like Beckie, she’s made some pressure PKs for club and country in the past and don’t mind her taking the kick as much as everyone else. Beckie will bounce back and be leading this team for years to come.

But if that’s the case that they don’t have a designated taker then I wonder why Sinclair didn’t want it.

Edit: Beckie said Sinclair asked her if she wanted to take it. In my mind that ends the discussion. You can’t have a player taking a penalty that doesn’t want it

Last edited by M*A*S*H 4077; 06-24-2019 at 03:17 PM.
M*A*S*H 4077 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2019, 03:18 PM   #264
Weitz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by SebC View Post
Her (lack of) height might have something do with it. In a situation where you're sticking everyone in the box, have the one who won't win a header deliver the ball.
I can get behind that, but just sort of think you always have those who are masterful at putting the ball in - and they likely would be in your starting 11. Like I said though, I don't know the roster well so maybe Leon is that person, and her balls weren't bad either.

Maybe i'm just nitpicking because they should have at least taken it to extra time and I am upset
Weitz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2019, 03:23 PM   #265
SuperMatt18
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by M*A*S*H 4077 View Post
Wow, the coach said they don’t have a designated taker. I really like Beckie, she’s made some pressure PKs for club and country in the past and don’t mind her taking the kick as much as everyone else. Beckie will bounce back and be leading this team for years to come.

But if that’s the case that they don’t have a designated taker then I wonder why Sinclair didn’t want it.

Edit: Beckie said Sinclair asked her if she wanted to take it. In my mind that ends the discussion. You can’t have a player taking a penalty that doesn’t want it
Yeah.

Sinclair maybe worried since was the team and goalie she missed against in the past.

Damn - feel bad for them as I don't feel like they had their best game today and it was still right there for the taking.
SuperMatt18 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to SuperMatt18 For This Useful Post:
Old 06-24-2019, 06:26 PM   #266
Flamenspiel
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Just saw that penalty kick. I don’t blame the kicker, I would say that the coach “choked”. Sinclair had to be the one taking that, it turned out to be a very weak kick and was easily saved.

Herdman would never have allowed that failure.
Flamenspiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2019, 06:40 PM   #267
The Big Chill
I believe in the Jays.

Exp:

Herdman's team missed a penalty yesterday too
The Big Chill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2019, 09:59 PM   #268
dino7c
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Big Chill View Post
Herdman's team missed a penalty yesterday too
Did they have the greatest goal scorer of all time in the sport on their roster?
Old 06-24-2019, 10:26 PM   #269
SuperMatt18
Franchise Player

Exp:

That’s not on the coach.

Sinclair was on the pitch and nobody was taking that ball from her if she wanted it. She’s the captain, she’s the best player this country has ever seen (Men or Women), and she is chasing the record of greatest international goal scorer of all time.

She needed to grab that ball, smash it into the roof and the net, and carry on in her usual dominating fashion.

Coach probably was as shocked as the rest of us when Beckie stepped up to take that, but if that’s Sinclair’s decision on the pitch the coach can’t really force Sinclair to take it at that point.

Last edited by SuperMatt18; 06-24-2019 at 10:29 PM.
SuperMatt18 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to SuperMatt18 For This Useful Post:
Old 06-25-2019, 07:49 AM   #270
MillerTime GFG
First Line Centre

Exp:

I agree that Sinclair prolly should have taken that, but I think some credit needs to be given to the keeper...that was a hell of a save, as the kick would have almost been side netting. Generally if you can hit side netting, it's a goal. Deception is a big part of a PK, but the placement of that shot was really good. I think it's a little overblown, but I seem to be on an island here.
MillerTime GFG is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to MillerTime GFG For This Useful Post:
Old 06-25-2019, 08:42 AM   #271
The Big Chill
I believe in the Jays.

Exp:

Very good save, but it's not a great penalty. If you're going to leave it at the perfect saveable height, then it absolutely has to be side netting or you're leaving the keeper with a good chance to get to it.
The Big Chill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2019, 09:59 AM   #272
dino7c
Franchise Player

Exp:

Coach has to make the call...since when do the players make these kinda decisions? Why even have a coach? Dropped to 3 back got scored on. Subbed out a defender for a defender in the final minutes.

Coach blew it.
Old 06-25-2019, 10:03 AM   #273
Flamenspiel
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

It was merely an ok save that looked better then it was. Talk to any soccer goalie, she got two hands on it, they will tell you that they can reach much further with one hand then two. It’s even possible that she could have stepped over and caught it. It was also hit at a good height to stop.

The coach indicated that they did not have kickers designated, that’s a problem. It leads to thinking, too much thinking leads to choking. Very much like a putt in golf. It’s a very basic easy decision to say to a team: Sinclair takes the kick. Instead he left the team with an element of doubt about something they should have known.
Old 06-25-2019, 10:35 AM   #274
Bagor
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flamenspiel View Post
It was merely an ok save that looked better then it was. Talk to any soccer goalie, she got two hands on it, they will tell you that they can reach much further with one hand then two. It’s even possible that she could have stepped over and caught it. It was also hit at a good height to stop.
Really? You honestly believe that?

It wasn't a bad penalty, it wasn't a perfect penalty. I would put it in the very good save category before trying to place fault with the kicker.

Bagor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2019, 01:34 PM   #275
Flamenspiel
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bagor View Post
Really? You honestly believe that?

It wasn't a bad penalty, it wasn't a perfect penalty. I would put it in the very good save category before trying to place fault with the kicker.
A two handed dive save is a “show save”, if you can get two hands on it you can save it without a dive. It’s always been the case.

Go out to the park and try it.
Old 06-25-2019, 02:38 PM   #276
Bagor
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flamenspiel View Post
A two handed dive save is a “show save”, if you can get two hands on it you can save it without a dive. It’s always been the case.

No.
No it is not.
Silly goalies. Diving on penalties when they could just take a step and catch everything.

Old 06-25-2019, 02:54 PM   #277
MillerTime GFG
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quotes not working, but @ Flamenspiel:

Quote:

You said "ask any goalkeeper". Well, I have played AMSL and University level both as a defender and a keeper, and I can say that is a great save. No, you ideally don't want to have it at that height, but any time you hit a ball at a good pace that is near side-netting, you're going to score more often than not.

A two-handed save doesn't cover as much ground as a one-handed, but by no means does that make it a "show-save". There is ZERO chance any goalie in the world, man or woman, could have simply "moved over" and grabbed that as you had eluded.

I do think the coach needs to take some blame here. This should be his call. Any important game I've ever played in, we all look at the coach if there's ever any doubt, though most of the time, you have your go-to guy.
MillerTime GFG is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to MillerTime GFG For This Useful Post:
Old 06-25-2019, 02:58 PM   #278
Bagor
Franchise Player

Exp:

Japan go out to that silly handball rule.

Old 06-25-2019, 03:07 PM   #279
GirlySports
NOT breaking news

Exp:

I think everything is a foul and hate Japan and I think that was a garbage handball call.

Two feet away, struck hard, arms by her side.
She cant play with no arms.

GirlySports is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2019, 04:01 PM   #280
Bagor
Franchise Player

Exp:

It's the correct call.
It's a silly rule.

The Following User Says Thank You to Bagor For This Useful Post: