Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum > Food and Entertainment
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-25-2019, 08:43 AM   #1
KTrain
ALL ABOARD!

Exp:
Default Kanopy - Streaming Service

We have Netflix and Prime Video threads and I thought we could use a Kanopy one too for those of us who use it. If you're unfamiliar with Kanopy, it's another streaming service except it's free with a library card. It's also has pretty amazing content for a service that is "free".

The catch is that you're limited to viewing 10 films per month. Except for Kanopy Kids which is unlimited and a good option for parents who want an option other than Netflix.

The focus seems to be on more educational programming and documentaries but it also has some excellent Hollywood films.

Here's a few of the films I've enjoyed that are on there:

Documentaries
Design Canada
Helvetica
Objectified
Urbanized
Eames: The Architect and The Painter
Dear Mr Watterson
Sound City

Feature Films There's lots of in here and most are stuff you can find on other services.
Zodiac
Boyhood
Manchester by the Sea
There Will Be Blood
Pans Labrinth
My Friend Dahmer
Hunt for the Wilderpeople

Last edited by KTrain; 06-25-2019 at 10:47 AM.
KTrain is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to KTrain For This Useful Post:
Old 06-25-2019, 11:40 AM   #2
Buff
Franchise Player

Exp:

Free with library card if your library purchases this service. I wonder how much it costs the library. Likely huge bucks. I've seen the bill for Hoopla... yikes!
Buff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2019, 12:11 PM   #3
Wormius
Franchise Player

Exp:

The classic movies and PBS selection on it is really good. You are limited to a certain number of videos per month though, so it's not like you can go really nuts with it.
Wormius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2019, 12:13 PM   #4
Wormius
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buff View Post
Free with library card if your library purchases this service. I wonder how much it costs the library. Likely huge bucks. I've seen the bill for Hoopla... yikes!

From this article on why NYC library dropped it, it was a $2 per view charge to the library.

https://variety.com/2019/digital/new...es-1203252503/
Wormius is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Wormius For This Useful Post:
Old 06-25-2019, 12:37 PM   #5
KTrain
ALL ABOARD!

Exp:

I knew there had to be an expense but $2/stream sounds crazy. We likely get much less content than the US so hopefully the costs aren't as extreme.
Old 06-25-2019, 06:28 PM   #6
Buff
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by KTrain View Post
I knew there had to be an expense but $2/stream sounds crazy. We likely get much less content than the US so hopefully the costs aren't as extreme.

It really adds up. What is the population of Calgary and think that maybe half of that population has a library card and maybe 1/3 of those library card holders use the service... Assuming each of those users use Kanopy for one download per month. Do some math, carry the two... Big bucks.
Old 06-25-2019, 06:50 PM   #7
jayswin
Celebrated Square Root Day

Exp:

I would bet as soon as this gets serious use it'll be tossed so quickly our heads will spin, lol. Library cards are free, they're basically subsidizing a streaming service free to the public. It'll last about as long as it takes an internal financial report to expose what's happening.

Last edited by jayswin; 06-25-2019 at 06:53 PM.
jayswin is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to jayswin For This Useful Post:
Old 06-26-2019, 07:50 AM   #8
KTrain
ALL ABOARD!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buff View Post
It really adds up. What is the population of Calgary and think that maybe half of that population has a library card and maybe 1/3 of those library card holders use the service... Assuming each of those users use Kanopy for one download per month. Do some math, carry the two... Big bucks.
I don't doubt it is big bucks but the Variety article says only 1% of New York Public Library's 2 million users used the Kanopy service. I really doubt 1/3 of our users are using it.
Old 06-26-2019, 04:02 PM   #9
Buff
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by KTrain View Post
I don't doubt it is big bucks but the Variety article says only 1% of New York Public Library's 2 million users used the Kanopy service. I really doubt 1/3 of our users are using it.
Fair enough. It will still be pricey and a risk to be dropped. I'm assuming it is cheaper for them to try Kanopy over Hoopla. It looks like they have dropped Hoopla. Hoopla let users download movies, tv shows, comics, audio books, music and more. It was very costly and I don't know the cost per item. It was initially launched across the province, paid for by the government for a certain amount which wound up lasting only a month or two. Libraries put caps on how many items per month their users could use and wound up dropping the service because they couldn't afford to offer it anymore. I see there is a limit of items per month for Calgary's library users. Hopefully it isn't dropped, it could be a very useful service.
Old 06-26-2019, 08:39 PM   #10
billybob123
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

U of C faculty, staff, and students can access Kanopy as well. Thanks to everyone for pointing this out.
billybob123 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to billybob123 For This Useful Post: