Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 08-21-2019, 03:14 PM   #1801
Buff
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rando View Post
They're garbage. Some people like garbage. It's okay.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Locke View Post
The Nolan Trilogy is an exception, it was excellent. I dont recall seeing any superheroes in it though...

As to your second point, lots of terrible movies make money, just because they do doesnt make them great.
Quote:
Originally Posted by CorsiHockeyLeague View Post
Counterpoint: the Transformers movies. The Twilight films. Everything starring the Wayans brothers.

... Wait, why am I giving examples; isn't this just obviously wrong?

Well, that's just your garbage opinions!
Buff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2019, 05:19 PM   #1802
blankall
Ate 100 Treadmills

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CorsiHockeyLeague View Post
Counterpoint: the Transformers movies. The Twilight films. Everything starring the Wayans brothers.

... Wait, why am I giving examples; isn't this just obviously wrong?
1. Not everything staring the Wayans brothers was a success.
2. Requiem for a Dream was good.
blankall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2019, 11:31 AM   #1803
Coach
Franchise Player

Exp:

More info on the Spider-Man break-up as Sony releases an official statement. Sounds like it was Disney that pulled Feige from the Spider-Man team to focus on their actual IP content (which makes sense). Sony appears to be dissapointed that Feige won't be helping moving forward, but pledge to continue the direction. Don't really mention financial issues at all.

I don't doubt that we will continue to see Holland/Spider-Man dipping and and out of the MCU.

https://ca.ign.com/articles/2019/08/...e-mcu-producer
Old 08-22-2019, 12:19 PM   #1804
Nadal Fan
Franchise Player

Exp:

According to John Campea, Disney wanted from Sony 50% of not just of all Spider-Man film revenue but all related Spiderverse revenue. This includes Venom 2, Morbious, Into the Spider-Verse 2 as well as still getting 100% of merchandising revenue. No studio would give up 50% of their best property. Sony countered with a 30% offer but Disney refused. Disney is the one trying to strong arm Sony on this.
Nadal Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2019, 12:30 PM   #1805
TheyCallMeBruce
Likes Cartoons

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nadal Fan View Post
According to John Campea, Disney wanted from Sony 50% of not just of all Spider-Man film revenue but all related Spiderverse revenue. This includes Venom 2, Morbious, Into the Spider-Verse 2 as well as still getting 100% of merchandising revenue. No studio would give up 50% of their best property. Sony countered with a 30% offer but Disney refused. Disney is the one trying to strong arm Sony on this.
Except, now a new report says the stake may not have been as high as originally reported, and Sony did not counter with 30% offer, but Disney did.

https://uproxx.com/hitfix/disney-sta...movies-report/

Quote:
Disney had been seeking a co-financing arrangement on upcoming movies, looking for at least a 30 percent stake. Sony, which counts Spider-Man as one of its only reliable moneymaking franchises, said no. Before both sides walked away, talks had gone to the top level, with Rothman and CEO Tony Vinciquerra on Sony’s side and Disney Studios’ co-chairmen Alan Horn and Alan Bergman involved.
TheyCallMeBruce is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to TheyCallMeBruce For This Useful Post:
Old 08-22-2019, 12:55 PM   #1806
Nadal Fan
Franchise Player

Exp:

Maybe Disney wanted 30% of all Spidey film revenue (Venom 2 ext...) and Sony countered with 30% just for the Spider-Man solo films? Hopefully they continue to talk this out and get him back on the Avengers.
Old 08-22-2019, 05:27 PM   #1807
FlameOn
Franchise Player

Exp:

Sony's opening offer was the original 5% gross.
FlameOn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2019, 05:44 PM   #1808
blankall
Ate 100 Treadmills

Exp:

^^^^

No besides Disney and Sony's representatives know what actually happened. It looks like both sides are now spinning the incident to make the other look like the bad guy. Sony is stating 5% was their opening, and they made multiple other "configurations" without releasing details. Disney is taking a similar tactic. After their initial offer of 50% was leaked, they are looking for "at least" a 30% stake...use of the qualifier "at least" could mean anything from they are still looking for 50%, or they came up with a configuration that involved other sources of profit on top of the 30%.

Either way, this could all just be a bargaining tactic, and a deal is still being negotiated for all we know.
blankall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2019, 05:50 PM   #1809
Ped
First Line Centre

Exp:

While I love what the MCU has done, I don't really have a problem with other companies trying to replicate. The DCEU imo has been largely a disaster, but as others have pointed out, it's not good for one company to dominate.

Just think of it as the Holland stuff so far being with the training wheels on. Time to take them off and see if someone else can do something great with it.
Ped is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2019, 07:14 PM   #1810
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ped View Post
While I love what the MCU has done, I don't really have a problem with other companies trying to replicate. The DCEU imo has been largely a disaster, but as others have pointed out, it's not good for one company to dominate.

Just think of it as the Holland stuff so far being with the training wheels on. Time to take them off and see if someone else can do something great with it.
I think this is largely why most people are disappointed with the DCEU.

Marvel/Disney basically drew a road-map for all to see and DC just ignored it and took the football to the groin.

MCEU took risks. They laid out a lot on minor characters with a grand overall plan and they committed to it. That risk paid off huge.

DC rushed it. They skipped the rainbow while still expecting the Pot O' Gold to be at the end and they flubbed it hard.

So Sony could, conceivably take Spiderman and do something great with him, but its unlikely to be as good or grand as if he stays in the MCU.

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
Locke is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2019, 07:16 PM   #1811
KTrain
ALL ABOARD!

Exp:

I'd like to see more non-Marvel and DC comic book movies. Hellboy was such a disappointment and Glass was mediocre. Throw in TMNT and Robocop and the "indy" comic book movies haven't had great few years.

Spawn has potential but I don't have a lot of hope. The Kingsman prequel looks decent.

There are lots of great stories to tell. It seems they're being relegated to TV series (which isn't always bad). The Boys is great. Umbrella Academy too. Invincible is in production.

My favourite non-Marvel/DC comic movies in no particular order:
  • Scott Pilgrim
  • The Crow
  • Kingsman
  • Dread
  • Sin City
  • Hellboy I and II
  • Rocketeer
  • Road to Perdition
  • MIB
  • The Incredibles
  • Unbreakable

And after typing that list they're all pretty obvious ones. Anything I'm missing that I should watch?
KTrain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2019, 07:30 PM   #1812
Finger Cookin
Franchise Player

Exp:

Finger Cookin is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Finger Cookin For This Useful Post:
Old 08-22-2019, 07:35 PM   #1813
getbak
Franchise Player

Exp:

Old 08-22-2019, 08:30 PM   #1814
#-3
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by KTrain View Post
I'd like to see more non-Marvel and DC comic book movies. Hellboy was such a disappointment and Glass was mediocre. Throw in TMNT and Robocop and the "indy" comic book movies haven't had great few years.

Spawn has potential but I don't have a lot of hope. The Kingsman prequel looks decent.

There are lots of great stories to tell. It seems they're being relegated to TV series (which isn't always bad). The Boys is great. Umbrella Academy too. Invincible is in production.

• Scott Pilgrim
  • The Crow
  • Kingsman
  • Dread
  • Sin City
  • Hellboy I and II
  • Rocketeer
  • Road to Perdition
  • MIB
  • The Incredibles
  • Unbreakable

And after typing that list they're all pretty obvious ones. Anything I'm missing that I should watch?
Obviously the greatest superhero movie of all time is the one where farts are superpowers

Spoiler!
#-3 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2019, 10:22 PM   #1815
codynw
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nadal Fan View Post
I'm sure Disney and Sony will work something out, BUT if they don't it's not all bad news, I mean we can get a Spider-Man, Venom and Carnage movie now. I love the MCU, but Disney isn't the only studio that can produce good superhero movies. Sony has done a good job in the past (Spiderverse came out last year) and will continue to do a good job.

It is all bad news. Marvel has really set up Spider-Man to be a HUGE character in the MCU in the future. Far From Home ended on a huge cliffhanger, and Spider-Man suddenly being gone with no explanation kind of weakens Tony's death consider the guilt of losing Peter is the whole reason he did the time heist int he first place. "I don't think Tony would have done what he did, if he didn't know you were going to be here after he was gone."
codynw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2019, 10:38 PM   #1816
Coach
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by codynw View Post
It is all bad news. Marvel has really set up Spider-Man to be a HUGE character in the MCU in the future. Far From Home ended on a huge cliffhanger, and Spider-Man suddenly being gone with no explanation kind of weakens Tony's death consider the guilt of losing Peter is the whole reason he did the time heist int he first place. "I don't think Tony would have done what he did, if he didn't know you were going to be here after he was gone."
I think this is why it still gets done. Marvel risked a lot by putting Parker in the position they did. They cold have easily steered the "succession" in the direction of Black Panther and Shurri. I think having a Black Panther 2 that starred Shurri as BP while T'Challa was snapped away could have been a big hit.

They also have Fantastic 4 and their science-focus entering the frame as well.

Marvel made their bed a bit here. They're going to have to bite the bullet I think. Sony knows it.
Old 08-22-2019, 11:14 PM   #1817
cDnStealth
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:

• Scott Pilgrim
  • The Crow
  • Kingsman
  • Dread
  • Sin City
  • Hellboy I and II
  • Rocketeer
  • Road to Perdition
  • MIB
  • The Incredibles
  • Unbreakable

V for Vendetta
Constantine
cDnStealth is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to cDnStealth For This Useful Post:
Old 08-23-2019, 06:25 AM   #1818
Nadal Fan
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

• Scott Pilgrim
  • The Crow
  • Kingsman
  • Dread
  • Sin City
  • Hellboy I and II
  • Rocketeer
  • Road to Perdition
  • MIB
  • The Incredibles
  • Unbreakable

If your talking about comic book movies here are a few you might enjoy
  • Stardust
  • RED/RED 2
  • The Mask
  • Barb Wire
  • Ghost World
  • Blue is the Warmest Color
  • Sheena
  • Josie and the Pussycats (this movie is actually amazing!)
  • Flash Gordon
  • Mystery Men
  • A History of Violence
  • Surogates
The Following User Says Thank You to Nadal Fan For This Useful Post:
Old 08-23-2019, 07:17 AM   #1819
Scroopy Noopers
Pent-up

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by cDnStealth View Post
V for Vendetta
Constantine
Hancock.

Yeah. I said it. It’s hella entertaining.
Scroopy Noopers is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Scroopy Noopers For This Useful Post:
Old 08-23-2019, 07:50 AM   #1820
Nadal Fan
Franchise Player

Exp:

The Todd Phillips-directed Joker is officially rated R for “strong bloody violence, disturbing behavior, language and brief sexual images,”. Over/Under the amount of 8 year olds in the theatre brought by clueless parents?

I have a feeling fans who only like the MCU are going to hate this movie and it's going to be the most divisive comic book movie in a long time.....Can't wait