Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 12-09-2015, 09:10 AM   #21
oilyfan
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by T@T View Post
About 99% of radical jihad can be traced to the Saudi's, why the world leaders are in denial of this is mind boggling.
I believe because the west see Saudi Arabia as the only bastion, relatively speaking, of calm and western cooperation. If they take on Saudi, they might as well put a wall around the Middle East and forget about it.
Old 12-09-2015, 09:48 AM   #22
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

I keep thinking that we're looking at this all wrong and without enough ruthlessness.

We should be trying to Trojan Horse ISIL.

They do a lot of active recruiting outside of their borders. I'm sure they don't vet them that hard, because they're basically using them as bullet shields.

How hard would it be to train people to say the right things, go over there, gather intelligence and either try to get close to the leaders to kill them, or start up an insurgency within ISIL.

And I get it, we'd be sending a lot of people to die because ISIL itself is a paranoid schizophrenic organizationally.

Or do your own version of the dirty dozen, and find the biggest killer dirt bags in all of the US prisons, and set em loose.

Ok that one is a bit of a joke.

But ISIL is unconventional, so we need to fight them unconventionally, and maybe even use their own playbook against them by using their recruiting as a weapon.

Look on my Works, ye Mighty, and despair!
CaptainCrunch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2015, 01:46 PM   #23
underGRADFlame
Lives In Fear Of Labelling

Exp:

Oh how funny is it that all of these criminal organizations are now threatening ISIS/ISIL. I think EL-CHAPO is crazy enough to follow through and cause them some serious damage.

Side note, interesting that H.A. members are supposedly over there fighting along side the Kurds.

Calgary Sun Link
underGRADFlame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2015, 10:26 PM   #24
combustiblefuel
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by underGRADFlame View Post
Oh how funny is it that all of these criminal organizations are now threatening ISIS/ISIL. I think EL-CHAPO is crazy enough to follow through and cause them some serious damage.

Side note, interesting that H.A. members are supposedly over there fighting along side the Kurds.

Calgary Sun Link
The only reason mexican cartels could do some damage is because they use to send people over to the middle east to train with insurgents . How do you think they learned to operate in such a militant fashion. In the 80s and 90s cartels would pay insurgent groups to train a small number of cartel groups in tactics and explosives. That select group would return and train everyone else.
combustiblefuel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2015, 03:49 AM   #25
Thor
God of Hating Twitter

Exp:

Old 12-11-2015, 06:49 AM   #26
CroFlames
Franchise Player

Exp:

Thor tell that to Ted Cruz that goof. His election ads are all about terrorism.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G920A using Tapatalk
CroFlames is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to CroFlames For This Useful Post:
Old 12-11-2015, 06:53 AM   #27
Thor
God of Hating Twitter

Exp:

Oh its not just him, here in Iceland the week after the Paris attacks the cops justified arming our cops for the first time ever, well at least in a lock box in the police cars.

The right wing here is trying to stop any refugees from coming here, because terrorism.. Its this way everywhere in the world, fear over rationality.
Old 12-11-2015, 06:57 AM   #28
T@T
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

The poster says "YOU", who's "you"? People in Iceland, USA, France?

Fairly sure you can't show it to a Syrian refugee and it be believed.
T@T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2015, 07:40 AM   #29
Maritime Q-Scout
Ben

Exp:

The "keep refugees out because, terrorism" is such a dumb argument, my brain can't process it.

That's like saying "get rid of battered women, send them elsewhere, we don't want them here because, domestic violence".

"Get rid of any person who was sexually assaulted, send them elsewhere, we don't want them here because, rape."

"Get rid of any bystander who was shot in a mass shooting, send them elsewhere, we don't want them here because, gun violence."

Harming the victim because of the actions of the perpetrator makes about as much sense as harming the victim because of the actions of the perpetrator, I can't think of an analogy because I literally can't think of anything else on par with something as stupid as that.

"Calgary Flames is the best team in all the land" - My Brainwashed Son
Maritime Q-Scout is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2015, 07:42 AM   #30
Thor
God of Hating Twitter

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by T@T View Post
The poster says "YOU", who's "you"? People in Iceland, USA, France?

Fairly sure you can't show it to a Syrian refugee and it be believed.
USA, figured that would be obvious but do you disagree at the worry over such a ridiculously low risk to all of us?
Old 12-11-2015, 08:09 AM   #31
T@T
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thor View Post
USA, figured that would be obvious but do you disagree at the worry over such a ridiculously low risk to all of us?
You didn't really have to answer, I guess I should have used green text.
T@T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2015, 02:29 PM   #32
CroFlames
Franchise Player

Exp:

I believe it was spendshi who said it best. Why would a sleeper ISIS agent toil in camps for years before MAYBE being selected to come to Canada. The Paris attackers were French citizens. They could easily get on a plane and be in Calgary in 8 hours any time they want.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G920A using Tapatalk
CroFlames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2015, 02:43 PM   #33
northcrunk
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Pretty funny day on twitter. #daeshbags trolling isis day. Some funny Memes there.
northcrunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2015, 02:49 PM   #34
pylon
NOT Chris Butler

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thor View Post
I don't like these types of comparisons, because they are designed to marginalize the issue. And every single one of those, can be traced back to a personal decision to take an action, and dying as a result. Example: I made a choice to get on a plane, the plane crashed. I made a choice to hike a mountain, and fell off a cliff. Terrorism relies on someone deciding to take your life.
pylon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2015, 02:51 PM   #35
jar_e
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by pylon View Post
I don't like these types of comparisons, because they are designed to marginalize the issue.
And the fact that the large majority of those comparisons can be prevented or mitigated by the victim themselves.
jar_e is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2015, 03:00 PM   #36
Senator Clay Davis
Franchise Player

Exp:

You can mitigate the risk of a terrorist attack, or decide to not be involved in one: You can live in your basement and never leave the house, or live in a bunker. I mean not ideal, but you can certainly mitigate or even avoid one altogether. Which is exactly what terrorist groups want, to adversely affect our lives by altering how we live our lives out of fear.
Old 12-13-2015, 08:43 PM   #37
CorsiHockeyLeague
Franchise Player

Exp:

It also seems extremely self-centered. As if this is a problem that's just being massively overblown because the average person in the United States (I assume that's where those stats apply to) is more likely to die from other causes.

You're unlikely to die from a terrorist attack? That's fantastic for you. Small consolation to the hundreds of Yezidi women who are being raped, or the gays being thrown from rooftops, though.
"The great promise of the Internet was that more information would automatically yield better decisions. The great disappointment is that more information actually yields more possibilities to confirm what you already believed anyway." - Brian Eno
CorsiHockeyLeague is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2015, 10:05 PM   #38
RougeUnderoos
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CorsiHockeyLeague View Post
It also seems extremely self-centered. As if this is a problem that's just being massively overblown because the average person in the United States (I assume that's where those stats apply to) is more likely to die from other causes.
Yeah, the stats do apply to the average person in the United States. That is exactly the point -- that the risk being massively overblown in the United States. That's it.

Quote:
You're unlikely to die from a terrorist attack? That's fantastic for you. Small consolation to the hundreds of Yezidi women who are being raped, or the gays being thrown from rooftops, though.
These stats were obviously not compiled into this infographic to demonstrate to raped Yezidi women and gays thrown from rooftops that the threat of terrorism isn't a significant threat to them. Or that those same people should take some small consolation in the fact that Americans are far more likely to die from sunstroke than at the hands of ISIS.

RougeUnderoos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2015, 02:43 AM   #39
Itse
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Senator Clay Davis View Post
You can mitigate the risk of a terrorist attack, or decide to not be involved in one: You can live in your basement and never leave the house, or live in a bunker. I mean not ideal, but you can certainly mitigate or even avoid one altogether. Which is exactly what terrorist groups want, to adversely affect our lives by altering how we live our lives out of fear.
Just avoiding crowded places would take away almost all risk. Not a lot of terrorist attacks at the local grocery store.
Itse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2015, 03:44 AM   #40
Thor
God of Hating Twitter

Exp:

Quote:

This refers to the hysteria, fear and curtailing of our liberties in order to protect us from something that is nothing short of a massively overblown issue.

Terrorism in African and the Middle east is however a huge problem, and that is not what we are talking about here.