Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 09-16-2019, 04:58 PM   #2081
RyZ
First Line Centre

Exp:

You could probably dig into any comedians back catalogue and find something thats offensive to someone. If not, they probably arent a very good comedian. How far are we from having a bunch of Hannah Gadsby carbon copy's putting everybody to sleep?
RyZ is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to RyZ For This Useful Post:
Old 09-16-2019, 05:04 PM   #2082
manwiches
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by sketchyt View Post
From Gillis' Twitter. Needs more salt, lol.

I'm the first person to laugh at asian jokes, as I'm asian. But his commentary with that other guy, that got him in hot water to start, really just sounds like stereotyping and prejudicial commentary. It's one thing to have a couple one liners and laugh, and move on. The fact that it kept going, was absolutely inappropriate.
manwiches is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to manwiches For This Useful Post:
Old 09-16-2019, 05:35 PM   #2083
monkeyman
First Line Centre

Exp:

What a stupid schmuck. Bad enough you get outed, but then he doubles down, burns the bridge behind him and tries to disparage SNL by praising a show that hasn't been on tv for 10 years, who's major stars were black and Asian.
I think SNL lucked out here because from what I saw, he was neither funny or edgy.
I'm not sure who should be more outraged, Asians or comedians.

Last edited by monkeyman; 09-16-2019 at 05:43 PM.
monkeyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2019, 06:19 PM   #2084
PepsiFree
Participant
Participant

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by RyZ View Post
You could probably dig into any comedians back catalogue and find something thats offensive to someone. If not, they probably arent a very good comedian. How far are we from having a bunch of Hannah Gadsby carbon copy's putting everybody to sleep?
I think this is the problem with “cancel culture” going after anyone and everyone. You end up with people defending “offenders” regardless of context because they’ve been criticised, again, regardless of context.

I’m a big fan of Chapelle’s latest special, and while I don’t really like Burr, I had zero problem with his more offensive stuff. But this isn’t that. This is a comedian just because ignorant and racist, not for the sake of a bit but just because. Worse even, it wasn’t remotely funny.

This wasn’t part of his back catalogue. This is Gillis going on a podcast and being a racist or at least purposefully offensive past the point of ignorance, and without any comedy or commentary to justify it. That ain’t worth your time defending.
PepsiFree is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to PepsiFree For This Useful Post:
Old 09-16-2019, 09:29 PM   #2085
Wormius
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by monkeyman View Post
What a stupid schmuck. Bad enough you get outed, but then he doubles down, burns the bridge behind him and tries to disparage SNL by praising a show that hasn't been on tv for 10 years, who's major stars were black and Asian.
I think SNL lucked out here because from what I saw, he was neither funny or edgy.
I'm not sure who should be more outraged, Asians or comedians.

Are you possibly thinking of “In Living Color”?
Wormius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2019, 10:58 PM   #2086
monkeyman
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wormius View Post
Are you possibly thinking of “In Living Color”?
No. Were there any Asians on In Living Color?
I was thinking of Mad TV and Bobby Lee, Jordan Peele, Keegan-Michael Key, Aries Spears...
Old 09-17-2019, 01:38 PM   #2087
troutman
Unfrozen Caveman Lawyer

Exp:

Sandra Oh, Rob Schneider, Norm MacDonald (others) Weigh In on Shane Gillis' Firing from 'SNL'

https://exclaim.ca/film/article/sand...DtTQk4j2IWEYag
troutman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2019, 02:12 PM   #2088
Matata
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

I wonder if this will roll into Eddie Murphy getting kicked off for AIDS and gay jokes from Raw and Delirious.
Matata is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2019, 02:32 PM   #2089
Cecil Terwilliger
That Crazy Guy at the Bus Stop

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matata View Post
I wonder if this will roll into Eddie Murphy getting kicked off for AIDS and gay jokes from Raw and Delirious.
I don’t think Murphy is comparable. Besides the fact he said that 35 years ago, what racist guy said was on a podcast. I watched the clip in question. It sounded to me like a dbag guy saying shocking racist crap and laughing about it. It was not, as far as I could tell, part of a comedy sketch. Nor did it seem to me he was lampooning someone/something or doing any sort of satire. It was just using racist language without a punchline.

I’m all for anything being ok to laugh at. Up to an including child molestation and rape jokes. But just being a racist prick and calling it comedy isn’t the same thing. There’s always a line.
Cecil Terwilliger is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Cecil Terwilliger For This Useful Post:
Old 09-17-2019, 02:35 PM   #2090
troutman
Unfrozen Caveman Lawyer

Exp:

NBC in a tough spot here - SNL has been criticized for not being very diverse.

https://www.rollingstone.com/tv/tv-n...oversy-884888/

Quote:
Since SNL premiered in 1975, there have been exactly zero full Asian cast members and only four Asian hosts (six if you count the Pakistan-born Kumail Nanjiani and Indian-American, Aziz Ansari)
troutman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2019, 02:39 PM   #2091
Cecil Terwilliger
That Crazy Guy at the Bus Stop

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by troutman View Post
NBC in a tough spot here - SNL has been criticized for not being very diverse.

https://www.rollingstone.com/tv/tv-n...oversy-884888/
I don’t see why or how SNL can be blamed for the lack of famous Asian actors. They don’t make the host famous, they choose already famous hosts.

If we’re talking cast, that’s a different story and they should try to be more diverse.
Cecil Terwilliger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2019, 03:28 PM   #2092
Matata
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cecil Terwilliger View Post
I don’t think Murphy is comparable. Besides the fact he said that 35 years ago, what racist guy said was on a podcast. I watched the clip in question. It sounded to me like a dbag guy saying shocking racist crap and laughing about it. It was not, as far as I could tell, part of a comedy sketch. Nor did it seem to me he was lampooning someone/something or doing any sort of satire. It was just using racist language without a punchline.

I’m all for anything being ok to laugh at. Up to an including child molestation and rape jokes. But just being a racist prick and calling it comedy isn’t the same thing. There’s always a line.
To me it just sounded like a flat podcast where they tried to punch it up with shock humor, I've heard lots of comedy podcasts that have done that. It's not like it was a dry read of racial hatred, they were making jokes about their experiences in china town.

Kevin Hart lost the Oscars over an 8 year old tweet, cancel culture seems to be reaching further back all the time. The stuff on Raw and Delirious is the most hateful and malicious take on AIDS & gay people I've ever heard in pop culture, much worse than anything I heard on that podcast with Shane. All it takes is an article about how Eddie de-humanized gays during an extremely difficult time for their community to gain traction, how could Lorne defend Eddie in the face of all that?
Matata is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2019, 03:44 PM   #2093
Wormius
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by troutman View Post
Sandra Oh, Rob Schneider, Norm MacDonald (others) Weigh In on Shane Gillis' Firing from 'SNL'

https://exclaim.ca/film/article/sand...DtTQk4j2IWEYag

I liked Norm's, mainly because it sounded more like he was talking about himself.

https://twitter.com/user/status/1173705160712810496
Wormius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2019, 03:55 PM   #2094
ResAlien
Lifetime In Suspension

Exp:

What’s so difficult to grasp about a guy who in the last year dropped racial slurs in the course of his work and it cost him his job? They weren’t funny, they were crappy jokes, and he paid the price. I’m sure he’ll be on Joe Rogan within a week or two and they can smoke a joint and complain about being cancelled or whatever. Boohoo.
ResAlien is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to ResAlien For This Useful Post:
Old 09-17-2019, 04:13 PM   #2095
icecube
In the Sin Bin

Exp:

I'm trying to think up a list of celebs who have been unfairly "cancelled" during this so called cancel culture but my list is coming up short.

One that springs to mind is James Gunn for the old edgelord tweets, but he ended up getting his job back. Another one people could argue is maybe Kevin Hart, but his apology for the homophobic bit was pretty wishy washy.

Any others where the public scorn could be seen as an overreaction and resulted in someone losing a gig?
icecube is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2019, 06:22 PM   #2096
monkeyman
First Line Centre

Exp:

I guess we know why his podcast was a secret now.
Old 09-17-2019, 07:57 PM   #2097
burnin_vernon
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by icecube View Post
I'm trying to think up a list of celebs who have been unfairly "cancelled" during this so called cancel culture but my list is coming up short.

One that springs to mind is James Gunn for the old edgelord tweets, but he ended up getting his job back. Another one people could argue is maybe Kevin Hart, but his apology for the homophobic bit was pretty wishy washy.

Any others where the public scorn could be seen as an overreaction and resulted in someone losing a gig?
Roseanne Barr for one. Didn't Chris Hardwick get fired from something for false accusations? Did Aziz Ansari, Mel Gibson, or Liam Neeson face any repercussions? All these stories blur together to me.

Even if they didn't lose their jobs, or were completely innocent, the accusation sticks forever.

On the topic of SNL and diversity, hire the funniest, no matter what their background. When they were under attack for having no black female cast members, they immediately hired Sasheer Zamata, one of the more unmemorable, unfunny cast members I've seen. If that's what we want, let's fill the entire cast with Sasheers and not laugh for 90 minutes.

Are other countries in the world going through this or is this just America and Canada?
burnin_vernon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2019, 06:59 AM   #2098
GordonBlue
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by MRCboicgy View Post
good read but made me sad.
man I miss Phil Hartman
GordonBlue is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to GordonBlue For This Useful Post:
Old 09-18-2019, 08:16 AM   #2099
undercoverbrother
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wormius View Post
I liked Norm's, mainly because it sounded more like he was talking about himself.

https://twitter.com/user/status/1173705160712810496
A bit OT, but I just introduced by 13 yr old son to Norm's material.

He can't get over how funny he is.

Corporal Jean-Marc H. BECHARD, 6 Aug 1993

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sliver View Post
Just ignore me...I'm in a mood today.
undercoverbrother is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2019, 08:23 AM   #2100
d_phaneuf
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matata View Post
He famously apologized for it in the 90s, said he was 21 at the time and now in his 30s with more information he feels bad about what he said. Organizations for every group he made the jokes about accepted them and thanked him for bringing up knowledge as a factor in his more understanding
d_phaneuf is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to d_phaneuf For This Useful Post: