Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-19-2021, 12:19 AM   #2541
Pizza
Poster

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ironhorse View Post
I would change tires and tubes, and lube the drive train.
Quote:
Originally Posted by RichieRich View Post
No straight answer... it depends.
DEFINITELY it needs a look over. All things that need lubed done. brakes and shifters checked, and maybe also lubed with a super fine oil. Most likely failure points are the 1) tubes, then 2) tires so pump em up. check for tire cracks and seams coming apart, a short test ride, and go from there. I've seen some old bikes have no problem and others mucho problemo
tires are pumped up but i'll have someone help check the brakes and shifters before i take them for a ride. i've noticed some light rust on the cables

Thanks again
Pizza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2021, 10:07 AM   #2542
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Anyone try Nose Hill yet, or been walking around up there? Wondering if I can find some non-mud bits.
Fuzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2021, 08:26 PM   #2543
RichieRich
First Line Centre

Exp:

well well... too many dang roadies out on the weekend musta brought on this snow.
or...
well well... too many questions about MTB'ing on Nosehill, must ensure it's a mud pit again.

gravel bike riders... carry on. Nothing to see here.

sigh...
RichieRich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2021, 08:32 AM   #2544
surferguy
Monster Storm

Exp:

I’m sure this has been discussed In here before but what should I be using for a bike lock?

I’d like a high end one to replace my current set up.

Links would be great - bonus points for local retailer.

TIA

surferguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2021, 08:41 AM   #2545
RichieRich
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by surferguy View Post
I’m sure this has been discussed In here before but what should I be using for a bike lock?

TIA
It’s not so easy as that. Need to understand your intentions... to use it on a bike rack? If so big heavy and beefy is fine. Is it for a bike rack with your kids bike? Or just a light deterrent and easily carried in you pocket?

Generally speaking I use a cable and lock combo so as to get both wheels and the frame plus long enough to have ulock reach something really solid. But I certainly don’t ever ride around town with that system.

Lastly... these days anything bike related is hard to find. Your LBS should be able to get something in within a couple weeks. Imo you’re looking at about $75 range for a mid level but you can also spend hundreds.
Old 03-24-2021, 09:26 AM   #2546
Northendzone
Franchise Player

Exp:

these days with the advent of portable, battery powered tools, no lock is that safe; however, here is a link to what the bike shop supposedly has in stock:

https://www.thebikeshop.com/product-...&rb_av=instore

bottom line, if you can't see your bike, it is in danger of being stolen.

Quote:
Originally Posted by surferguy View Post

TIA
Old 03-24-2021, 10:35 AM   #2547
flylock shox
1 millionth post winnar!

Exp:

For bike locks, the main thing to know (IMO) is that cable locks can be snipped in a matter of seconds and are therefore only for "cafe stops" in low crime areas or as supplements to stronger U locks or heavy duty chain/link locks. Even heavy duty locks can be defeated given sufficient time, so it's simply best not to park overnight outside.

My preferred system is to use a U lock like the Kryptonite Evolution Mini in concert with a wheel/seatpost locking system like the one offered by Pinhead (which locks the wheels and seatpost to the frame using a proprietary locking bolt). If I'll be parking for a while, I'll also bring a light cable lock to add to the mix - simply to make the bike even less appetizing to thieves and if I want to lock my helmet to it too. I also sometimes loop my helmet straps through the rim just to add another level of delay.

Basically, you just don't want your bike being the easiest or most tempting target on the rack.
flylock shox is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to flylock shox For This Useful Post:
Old 03-24-2021, 06:55 PM   #2548
RichieRich
First Line Centre

Exp:

Went for a gravel ride today... even though maybe 1/3 was actual gravel it was still awesome. Headed north of city up towards Big Hill Springs and back. Was supposed to rain/snow/snain so only did 50km but wow it felt like a tough 50 with the hills and wind. Guess I've lost some endurance conditioning. Gravelly roads more mostly quite dry and/or very firm with very few damp areas.

Might need to pick up replacement rear tire as mine's getting worn. Wish me luck finding one!! looking for a 38-40mm width, one that rolls fast, am willing to give up a bit of grip for lifespan. Suggestions?
The Following User Says Thank You to RichieRich For This Useful Post:
Old 03-25-2021, 08:56 AM   #2549
combustiblefuel
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Went for a gravel ride today... even though maybe 1/3 was actual gravel it was still awesome. Headed north of city up towards Big Hill Springs and back. Was supposed to rain/snow/snain so only did 50km but wow it felt like a tough 50 with the hills and wind. Guess I've lost some endurance conditioning. Gravelly roads more mostly quite dry and/or very firm with very few damp areas.

Might need to pick up replacement rear tire as mine's getting worn. Wish me luck finding one!! looking for a 38-40mm width, one that rolls fast, am willing to give up a bit of grip for lifespan. Suggestions?
Panaracer gravel king sk plus. Best tires ever.
combustiblefuel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2021, 09:16 AM   #2550
habernac
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

North of Big Hill Springs has some great stuff.

I got some Panaracer Gravel King SKs from probikekit.ca
Sent from England, got here in less than a week ($15 duty charge, still saved 40 or 50)
habernac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2021, 10:39 AM   #2551
flylock shox
1 millionth post winnar!

Exp:

I've got Panaracer Gravelking slicks on my gravel-ish bike and they're awesome on the road and have handled gravel really well too. I highly recommend them, but would probably opt for the SK version if my bike was a pure gravel machine or was going to tackle single-track. As things stand, I'd just use my mountain bike for anything really rough, and find the slick tires on my gravel bike are a perfect bridge between my mtb and my roadie.

They're also super handsome tires too, as are the SKs.
flylock shox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2021, 08:39 AM   #2552
RichieRich
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by habernac View Post
North of Big Hill Springs has some great stuff.

I got some Panaracer Gravel King SKs from probikekit.ca
Sent from England, got here in less than a week ($15 duty charge, still saved 40 or 50)
Thanks I'd forgotten about them. Sadly they only have tan-wall PGKSK's and I'm not really liking that look on my bike but I'll keep watching. I'm seeing gravel tires wear fairly quickly so I know I'll need 'em again this season... if I can get my hands on some.
Old 03-26-2021, 01:16 PM   #2553
KTrain
ALL ABOARD!

Exp:

Oldest recorded bike race has the footage upscaled and colourized.

Quote:
Filmed by Louis himself in 1896 at the road to Ambérieu at the start of the Lyon-Geneva race organized by local newspaper Le Progrès. Modern sports and cinema were born at the same time.

Seven years later, Maurice Gaurin wins the first Tour de France.
KTrain is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to KTrain For This Useful Post:
Old 03-28-2021, 12:39 PM   #2554
kermitology
It's not easy being green!

Exp:

I finally realized a dream I’ve had for a long time and bought my “second car”

I’m going to add a special schedule to my home insurance as this bad ass was more than a used car, but has anyone done something different for insurance of high end bikes?

Old 03-28-2021, 01:07 PM   #2555
Ryan Coke
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

I upped my insurance to an overall upgraded package (like the “gold”package or something) that gave me $4000 per bike coverage for all household bikes, but just as part of that standard insurance package.

I could’ve added a specific rider for individual bikes, but I decided it wasn’t worth the cost. Sorry, but I can’t remember specifics on the cost of that.
Ryan Coke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2021, 02:58 PM   #2556
Icantwhisper
Scoring Winger

Exp:

A little windy today but not as bad as predicted, just a lot of hiding in the valleys and trees, got some KOM's and PB's today, sunshine was great for March
Old 03-29-2021, 08:51 AM   #2557
Northendzone
Franchise Player

Exp:

too bad the parade of support vehicles was not included in that video.

yesterday i rode out to ralph kline park in the really deep SE. when i got there i kept riding up 84 st se and then eventually jumped on some of the gravel roads around there and it was decently nice riding. Hard packed gravel/dirt with minimal washboarding. Given it was sunday morning, traffic was almost non-existent.

i did cut my ride about 15k short as i had to ride into the wind all the way back home.

i am looking forward to doing a little more exploring in the area
Old 03-29-2021, 10:28 AM   #2558
RichieRich
First Line Centre

Exp:

If anyone is looking for gravel rides, besides going through Google maps and hoping to put something together, you can also go onto Strava (I believe) and definitely on Garmin Connect and search for rides in whatever general area you want. I use Connect - so I can build my own route and upload it to my Edge computer. That helps with on-the-spot navigation and knowing how long your ride is. It's great seeing what others have ridden. There are also some riding clubs and even Facebook groups that have scheduled rides or posted routes.
Old 03-29-2021, 10:59 AM   #2559
KTrain
ALL ABOARD!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Northendzone View Post
too bad the parade of support vehicles was not included in that video.

yesterday i rode out to ralph kline park in the really deep SE. when i got there i kept riding up 84 st se and then eventually jumped on some of the gravel roads around there and it was decently nice riding. Hard packed gravel/dirt with minimal washboarding. Given it was sunday morning, traffic was almost non-existent.

i did cut my ride about 15k short as i had to ride into the wind all the way back home.

i am looking forward to doing a little more exploring in the area
There's lots of flat gravel out east of the city. If you keep heading east on 230, you'll hit a small town (hamlet really) Indus. Not much there but it's charming. Too small to even have a coffee shop but you can map out more gravel to get you all the way to Langdon.
KTrain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2021, 11:26 AM   #2560
InglewoodFan
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Ordered an e-bike for my wife on the weekend, she has chronic back issues so pedaling up hills is a no-no. The plan is if we can ride together we will both get out more.

My next consideration is a rack. All I presently have are rooftop carriers, which present the problem of (1) this thing weighs 60+ lbs and (2) we switched from a wagon to an SUV so the lift is higher. I'm going to need to switch to a hitch mounted rack, but it seems like everyone else had the same idea and things are sold out all over. Any suggestions or am I boned?
InglewoodFan is offline   Reply With Quote