Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-01-2021, 11:08 AM   #2361
Ryan Coke
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by stazzy33 View Post
Found my new (to me) bike. 2017 Cannondale CAADX. I am happy with the price I paid and the condition of the bike. Was definitely worth waiting to find the right bike. Now this damn snow just needs to melt so I can go ride it.

Spoiler!
Congrats! Nice looking bike. Even has a little Flames red there.
Ryan Coke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2021, 11:08 AM   #2362
TSXCman
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by BurningYears View Post

Fantastic as always. mega scary but talented to the nth. I can barely handle little slabs yet he finds his way down no problem.

Holy crap... do you see how often his rear tire isn't even in contact with the rock????

Every video he makes gets my heart pounding.
TSXCman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2021, 11:12 AM   #2363
Kybosh
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ironhorse View Post
Try some of the shorter scenic routes also. And don’t be afraid of some of the group ride events, they can be fun and most are pretty welcoming.
Yeah, I have an aspirational goal to join some group rides and other events but our life with a 2.5 month old baby is unpredictable haha. I'm just happy when I'm able to squeeze in a workout!
Kybosh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2021, 11:23 AM   #2364
flylock shox
1 millionth post winnar!

Exp:

That video brought to you by energy drinks, hydraulic disc brakes, adult diapers, and friction coefficients...
flylock shox is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to flylock shox For This Useful Post:
Old 02-01-2021, 11:48 AM   #2365
stazzy33
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryan Coke View Post
Congrats! Nice looking bike. Even has a little Flames red there.
Yeah I was pretty stoked about the color scheme.
stazzy33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2021, 04:06 PM   #2366
Sliver
evil of fart

Exp:

Hey so I bought a little vacation condo. And by little, I do mean little. I may be storing four bikes in the living room during the summers so I need some sort of rack. Ceilings are between 9' and 10' tall so I'm good for height. I was thinking something like this. Anybody know what that chunk of wood is called so I can source it? Like, is that a beam, or a post, or something else? Maybe it's a railway tie, but obviously I don't want nasty creosote or anything in the house. Any thoughts on what kind of wood that would be? I think those are cut railway tracks for supporting the bikes, which looks really cool.

Sliver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2021, 05:47 PM   #2367
Deviaant
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sliver View Post
Hey so I bought a little vacation condo. And by little, I do mean little. I may be storing four bikes in the living room during the summers so I need some sort of rack. Ceilings are between 9' and 10' tall so I'm good for height. I was thinking something like this. Anybody know what that chunk of wood is called so I can source it? Like, is that a beam, or a post, or something else? Maybe it's a railway tie, but obviously I don't want nasty creosote or anything in the house. Any thoughts on what kind of wood that would be? I think those are cut railway tracks for supporting the bikes, which looks really cool.

4x6 fence post. As for species id say that's rough sawn Fir.

Go check out Windsor Plywood or even better go see Dan @ Lumber King.

Last edited by Deviaant; 02-03-2021 at 05:50 PM.
Deviaant is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Deviaant For This Useful Post:
Old 02-10-2021, 07:13 AM   #2368
Bigtime
Franchise Player

Exp:

Been a tough week riding in these conditions. Worst part has been battling the north wind in the mornings on my way to work. Actually got to the point Monday morning where for the first time ever I couldn't get enough air breathing through my balaclava, had to stop on the Fox Hollow hill and pull it down for the last bit of my ride. So because of that I wrote a couple of fellow winter bikers on twitter about the heat exchanger masks they use, got a great reply with a write up from Doug (@coldbike) on the types he has used and tried out:

https://www.coldbike.com/2019/02/13/...-a-love-story/

Funny enough I was already looking at the Airtrim on Amazon, so based on his high recommendation of it (and the fact I could have it delivered the next day) I pulled the trigger on it.

https://www.amazon.ca/gp/product/B07...pd_gw_unk&th=1

So it arrived at work yesterday, tried it out on the ride home and my commute this morning. Works like a charm. Warmer, no problem getting plenty of air, and no issues with my goggles fogging. I should have bought this a couple of years ago!
Bigtime is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Bigtime For This Useful Post:
Old 02-10-2021, 10:35 AM   #2369
RichieRich
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigtime View Post
Been a tough week riding in these conditions. Worst part has been battling the north wind in the mornings on my way to work. Actually got to the point Monday morning where for the first time ever I couldn't get enough air breathing through my balaclava, had to stop on the Fox Hollow hill and pull it down for the last bit of my ride. So because of that I wrote a couple of fellow winter bikers on twitter about the heat exchanger masks they use, got a great reply with a write up from Doug (@coldbike) on the types he has used and tried out:

https://www.coldbike.com/2019/02/13/...-a-love-story/

Funny enough I was already looking at the Airtrim on Amazon, so based on his high recommendation of it (and the fact I could have it delivered the next day) I pulled the trigger on it.

https://www.amazon.ca/gp/product/B07...pd_gw_unk&th=1

So it arrived at work yesterday, tried it out on the ride home and my commute this morning. Works like a charm. Warmer, no problem getting plenty of air, and no issues with my goggles fogging. I should have bought this a couple of years ago!
So does it just recycle your exhaled air to warm up the incoming? No issues with a lower O2 content after the mix? You said it's ok w/ goggles... what about glasses?

Maybe try this one for the super cold days. Also helps in a monsoon, or if you accidentally ride into the Bow:

https://www.amazon.ca/dp/B06XC2C9KC/...NsaWNrPXRydWU=
RichieRich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2021, 11:02 AM   #2370
Bill Bumface
My face is a bum!

Exp:

I'm just going to state that spending my hockey fees on a fat bike this year was one of the best purchases of my life. The riding is like hanging out on the blue runs at a ski hill all day. Just relaxed, but can still throw in some speed and jumps to spice it up here and there. It's surprisingly easy to stay warm, and I've spent way more time enjoying winter and getting outdoor exercise. I highly recommend making the n+1 decision.
Bill Bumface is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Bill Bumface For This Useful Post:
Old 02-13-2021, 05:06 PM   #2371
Ryan Coke
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Totally agree BB. Managed to grab a fat bike in October before they got snapped up, and I have thoroughly enjoyed it, even as a guy who doesn’t really love winter.

Have you done any night riding? It adds a whole different dynamic regardless of season, and I’ve managed a few night time rides with the snow falling, quite an epic experience. And I don’t throw the term epic around easily.
Ryan Coke is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Ryan Coke For This Useful Post:
Old 02-13-2021, 10:08 PM   #2372
Northendzone
Franchise Player

Exp:

I would not be surprised if the old for that bike rack ran you a $1,000. But that is sure an awesome looking rack. The rail ties are a cool touch.

Now on to fat biking..first off congrats on the N+1...riding on those days when the snow is gently falling is awesome. Between working a bunch last week and it being cold, I have not ridden since last Sunday and I feel like a sloth......

Invest in good boots and keep the core warm
Old 02-14-2021, 12:14 AM   #2373
RichieRich
First Line Centre

Exp:

FINALLY have a job (part time anyways) bit have the option of riding into work office at least. Means changing in a bathroom and doing a “sink-wash” until the building re-opens the changeroom and shower. I’ll take it. Happily. Haven’t commuted since last year. Haven’t been able to bring myself to even spin inside for a few months. So so need to ride for the mental health aspect. Even if it’ll only be 1-2x weekly for a bit.
RichieRich is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to RichieRich For This Useful Post:
Old 02-14-2021, 10:06 AM   #2374
Bill Bumface
My face is a bum!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryan Coke View Post
Totally agree BB. Managed to grab a fat bike in October before they got snapped up, and I have thoroughly enjoyed it, even as a guy who doesn’t really love winter.

Have you done any night riding? It adds a whole different dynamic regardless of season, and I’ve managed a few night time rides with the snow falling, quite an epic experience. And I don’t throw the term epic around easily.
I've got little kids, so riding after bedtime is actually a good chunk of my rides. I agree, it's magical.

That said, I just got back from a 1.5 hour ride right now where I didn't realize I was going with the wind for the first half. Less magical. My face hurts.
Bill Bumface is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Bill Bumface For This Useful Post:
Old 02-17-2021, 04:47 PM   #2375
Johnny199r
First Line Centre

Exp:

I bought a Cannondale Synapse Disc Sora today.

I commuted about 18k each way to work last year on my hardtail mountain bike.

I was dying to get a road bike so I could go much faster this year. I was envious of the people flying by me last year on their road bikes. I'm looking forward to the nice weather and am happy I was able to pick up a good bike in my price range, especially with limited pandemic stock.

Johnny199r is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 11 Users Say Thank You to Johnny199r For This Useful Post:
Old 02-17-2021, 04:57 PM   #2376
Mazrim
CP Gamemaster

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny199r View Post
I was dying to get a road bike so I could go much faster this year. I was envious of the people flying by me last year on their road bikes. I'm looking forward to the nice weather and am happy I was able to pick up a good bike in my price range, especially with limited pandemic stock.
That was me last year. After years of biking to work on my mountain bike I was ready to get something faster. Got a gravel bike and have absolutely no regrets. It's been amazing.
Mazrim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2021, 06:35 PM   #2377
surferguy
Monster Storm

Exp:

I ordered the black rad wagon the other day. A few weeks still before it shows up which is perfect. Looking fwd to hauling my boys around on it and not having to worry about the pesky river valley hills.

I still have to wait for a few of the accessories to become available again but it should be a pretty sweet machine come this summer! Bring on the warm!

surferguy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to surferguy For This Useful Post:
Old 02-17-2021, 06:38 PM   #2378
Ironhorse
Franchise Player

Exp:

It looks almost like a motor bike.
Ironhorse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2021, 07:03 PM   #2379
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Awesome: I never have to work on that janky 60lb old cargo bike of yours again!

Not awesome: That thing looks like it must weigh even more. Does it come with a service contract?
Fuzz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2021, 07:12 PM   #2380
calgarywinning
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by surferguy View Post
I ordered the black rad wagon the other day. A few weeks still before it shows up which is perfect. Looking fwd to hauling my boys around on it and not having to worry about the pesky river valley hills.

I still have to wait for a few of the accessories to become available again but it should be a pretty sweet machine come this summer! Bring on the warm!
Please let me know how this item turns out. I've been eyeing one for a while and almost hit the checkout button every time. Looks like a great grocery store runner etc, plus putting a bench to haul a buddy is pretty fun. (rad lol)
calgarywinning is offline   Reply With Quote