Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 07-20-2017, 07:11 PM   #1661
photon
The new goggles also do nothing.

Exp:

The only one I've ever had fray is the one in my vehicle, and I just assume that's because UV light does its job on the plastic so it breaks down much faster.
Old 07-20-2017, 10:14 PM   #1662
Jimmy Stang
Franchise Player

Exp:

I've had good luck with Amazon Basics lightning cords. They seem to be more sturdy, are "certified", and are a fraction of the cost. 6 footers available too.
Jimmy Stang is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2017, 04:03 PM   #1663
Aegypticus
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

I haven't gotten one yet, but the Anker Powerline II cables from Amazon.ca have caught my eye. They have a video of a dude literally hanging from them, which seemed pretty impressive to me. Seem to get good reviews, too. I was waiting on Amazon to get colours other than white before ordering, and it looks like they have black now, so I think I'll get a couple. I'll post back with my thoughts.
Aegypticus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2017, 04:23 PM   #1664
DownhillGoat
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aegypticus View Post
I haven't gotten one yet, but the Anker Powerline II cables from Amazon.ca have caught my eye.
Those look pretty sweet. I wonder if they fit with a case though?
DownhillGoat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2017, 04:30 PM   #1665
DownInFlames
Craig McTavish' Merkin

Exp:

Anker Powerline cables are awesome. I don't have any Lightning cables yet, but the USB-C are very high quality. I like the velcro strap that's included to keep them tidy.
DownInFlames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2017, 04:45 PM   #1666
DoubleF
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimmy Stang View Post
I've had good luck with Amazon Basics lightning cords. They seem to be more sturdy, are "certified", and are a fraction of the cost. 6 footers available too.
Amazon basics aren't bad cables, but I've been buying nylon braided cables to try something new. They seem slightly more durable than the Amazon basic cables I had before. The Amazon basic ones weren't lasting much more than 3-4 months with my wife. These braided ones are at around 4 months and going.

However, I'm also theorizing that the length is a part of the problem vs nylon braided being more sturdy. The Amazon Basics cable she was using was a 3 footer, so there was strain strain on the cable from the wall to bedside table. Every time she checked her phone, strain on cable which added up. The braided cable is 6ft, so there's no basic strain from wall to bedside table and even has extra slack which allows using phone while in bed.

The length theory is more promising to me, because 2 of the original iphone cables we had destroyed by her were the ones we plugged by her beside table.

6 or 10 foot + cables for life. That is, until Qi charging becomes ubiquitous.

EDIT: Using something like this, slightly different brand

https://www.amazon.ca/iPhone-Cable-3...ightning+cable

Last edited by DoubleF; 07-21-2017 at 04:48 PM.
DoubleF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2017, 04:55 PM   #1667
DoubleF
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aegypticus View Post
I haven't gotten one yet, but the Anker Powerline II cables from Amazon.ca have caught my eye. They have a video of a dude literally hanging from them, which seemed pretty impressive to me. Seem to get good reviews, too. I was waiting on Amazon to get colours other than white before ordering, and it looks like they have black now, so I think I'll get a couple. I'll post back with my thoughts.
Anker power line ones work great. I don't have any issues with the ones I've acquired. The ends are reinforced. But for the price of those cables, I have decided to acquire braided cables instead. I can get up to 3-4 cables for the price of one Anker cable, if one fails I still have 3 backups.

Anker cables I feel are probably more durable than 90% of all other cables 3ft or less. I don't think there's as big of a difference entering the 6ft+ range.

I don't think you can go wrong purchasing an Anker cable. But a 10 ft Anker cable is $20 (I bought one, going strong even after a two years) and 3 braided cables is $16 on Amazon.
Old 07-25-2017, 06:54 AM   #1668
calgaryblood
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

So Apple got back to me and said "we are sorry we will not replace the cord as it had physical damage".

Are they that stupid that they thought I complained to get a new cord?
calgaryblood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2017, 07:58 AM   #1669
KTrain
ALL ABOARD!

Exp:

If not to get a new cord, why did you complain then? Their cords fraying has been a known issue for years. One complaint isn't going to change their production methods.

I used to have a bunch of their cords that frayed. I just trained myself to pull out the cords from the inputs rather than from the cord. It seems to be the only way to prevent fraying.
KTrain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2017, 10:08 AM   #1670
calgaryblood
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by KTrain View Post
If not to get a new cord, why did you complain then? Their cords fraying has been a known issue for years. One complaint isn't going to change their production methods.

I used to have a bunch of their cords that frayed. I just trained myself to pull out the cords from the inputs rather than from the cord. It seems to be the only way to prevent fraying.
Because their cord was as hot as an oven and could have burnt down my house.

That's a typical Apple response "you're holding it wrong", "you're taking it out wrong".

Or they could just make better, more safe products.
Old 07-25-2017, 10:18 AM   #1671
KTrain
ALL ABOARD!

Exp:

But you continued to use a damaged cord to charge your phone. I'm all for holding businesses accountable but there needs to be some personal responsibility too.
KTrain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2017, 10:33 AM   #1672
calgaryblood
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by KTrain View Post
But you continued to use a damaged cord to charge your phone. I'm all for holding businesses accountable but there needs to be some personal responsibility too.
So if a cord becomes damaged, and it can burn down a house, that's reasonable to you? Especially considering millions of kids use iPods and iPhones that have the same charger?

A cord shouldn't be made so cheaply in the first place to have this problem. Apple cords fraying is notorious, but I didn't think it would lead to it becoming scorching hot.
Old 07-25-2017, 11:29 AM   #1673
Russic
Dances with Wolves

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by calgaryblood View Post
So if a cord becomes damaged, and it can burn down a house, that's reasonable to you? Especially considering millions of kids use iPods and iPhones that have the same charger?

A cord shouldn't be made so cheaply in the first place to have this problem. Apple cords fraying is notorious, but I didn't think it would lead to it becoming scorching hot.
With the number of apple cables out there probably numbering a couple billion, an issue like yours is definitely going to crop up. That being said, it's probably not overly common. I'd argue they definitely should have sent you a free cable, but beyond that just be happy you noticed it.

You could buy other products, but I highly doubt you'll find anything that could be deemed safer.
Russic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2017, 12:37 PM   #1674
calgaryblood
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Russic View Post
With the number of apple cables out there probably numbering a couple billion, an issue like yours is definitely going to crop up. That being said, it's probably not overly common. I'd argue they definitely should have sent you a free cable, but beyond that just be happy you noticed it.

You could buy other products, but I highly doubt you'll find anything that could be deemed safer.
Well I did just buy a Belkin from the Apple Store so let's hope they make better products than Apple does.
Old 07-25-2017, 04:04 PM   #1675
DoubleF
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Well I did just buy a Belkin from the Apple Store so let's hope they make better products than Apple does.
If you don't mind... how much did you pay for that cable? Apple has a Belkin cable for sale for $35 on their website. That's idiotic and I really hope you didn't pay that. Cables are disposable. If they start bulging or fraying etc, replace them. The only reason why some people don't think this IMO is that they're ridiculously overpaying at the Apple store or Bestbuy or other brick and mortar stores. Some guy was making a killing selling 10 ft cables at $25 a pop (I think it was) at the Stampede. He easily paid 1/5th that price or less for those cables.

I seriously recommend either buying an Anker Kevlar 10 foot cable for $20, or multiple nylon braided cables for a fraction of that price if you're rough with cables.

https://www.amazon.ca/Anker-PowerLin...ightning+cable

or

https://www.amazon.ca/iPhone-Marktol...ightning+cable
(Single for about $9, 3 pack for about $15)

IMO, short cables being tugged is a huge reason these cables fray prematurely. 3ft cables are too short unless it's in a desktop environment IMO. a 6 or 10 foot cable should have far less strain on the cable and thus should theoretically last longer. Plus, the extra length is awesome.

You should consider returning the Belkin.
Old 07-25-2017, 04:09 PM   #1676
calgaryblood
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Paid $35 for the 10 foot and what other options do I have? Third party ones not approved by Apple are of very poor quality (yes, even worse than Apple).

Apple and Belkin make the best cords but that's really not saying much. Had too many problems with "this cord is not compatable" and it wrecking my phone that I only use apple approved cords now.
Old 07-25-2017, 04:23 PM   #1677
Jimmy Stang
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Paid $35 for the 10 foot and what other options do I have? Third party ones not approved by Apple are of very poor quality (yes, even worse than Apple).

Apple and Belkin make the best cords but that's really not saying much. Had too many problems with "this cord is not compatable" and it wrecking my phone that I only use apple approved cords now.
I'd have to disagree with that. There are much better cords out there for much cheaper, including "Apple Certified" ones. Amazon.ca alone has a bunch of options. And not too far back in this thread there were a bunch of great recommendations.

Edit: Not saying that the Belkin won't last a while, especially with the added length. Just advocating for some options beyond the good 'ol Apple Store (and their markup).

Last edited by Jimmy Stang; 07-25-2017 at 04:27 PM.
Jimmy Stang is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Jimmy Stang For This Useful Post:
Old 07-25-2017, 04:30 PM   #1678
DownhillGoat
Franchise Player

Exp:

Yeah the monoprice ones I've picked up are way better than any Belkin or Apple I've bought.
Even the amazon basics are decent. No more durable than apple but 1/3 the cost.
DownhillGoat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2017, 04:34 PM   #1679
DoubleF
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

No, they don't. Those two brands are the worst cable brands I have ever used in my life. There are plenty of cables that are superior. Apple is not in the business of cables. They get some average decent ones from some 3rd party and brand it as their own. There are plenty of other guys who focus on great experience and quality of their products. Anker is one of them.

Honestly, I've used 3rd party cables for years. None have ever come close to wrecking my phone. Maybe there were a few when the lightning cable first came out that weren't up to par, but I'm guessing 99% of cables these days won't do that. Plus Apple has a feature built in so that a crappy cable can't fry their electronics.

The wall adapter on the other hand... I've run into a few issues with the standard Apple ones overheating due to it being damaged/a lemon or a random 3rd party one over heating because it's just trash. That's not on the cable.

I've used Anker (easily one of the best quality wise, and great customer service if something goes wrong), Amazon Basics (slightly better than Apple, way cheaper), Apple (Meh/adequate/whatever came with device), Belkin (average to crap experience and expensive), half a dozen misc China brands.

Seriously, I'd bet you could buy an Anker cable now, and within 6 months, you'd easily notice the Anker is superior to the Belkin and the OEM Apple cable. IIRC, Anker has a 18 month warranty on their cables. Belkin only has 12 months.

Anker also manufactures fantastic wall chargers and power banks. I have acquired other brands to compare and Anker's products just keep chugging along while other ones end up being returned quickly or give out. Anker actually cares that they put out a quality cable. Belkin is just rebranding a random China product and milking the price differential. Apple is just putting out a meh/decent cable.

Apple and Belkin are the worst I have ever used. I'd rather roll the dice on a sketch China brand than waste money on that crap. It's probably the same quality. Literally. But the China doesn't cost 6-7 times more. Most of the China brands on Amazon are pretty good. Plus the Amazon guarantee protects you from flagrant garbage products. I don't think I've ever used a Belkin product for over 4 months without chucking it due to it being broken or just difficult to use. I think the longest I've used an Apple cable is 14 months. I chuck them into a drawer now and use them as a cable to connect to a computer at most.

Last edited by DoubleF; 07-25-2017 at 04:36 PM.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to DoubleF For This Useful Post:
Old 07-25-2017, 04:37 PM   #1680
calgaryblood
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Good to know. Yes, I had problems when they first came out and didn't realize companies started making much better ones. I feel stupid for buying it now but at least it's extra long I guess.