Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 07-13-2017, 02:49 PM   #61
Steve Bozek
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Howie_16 View Post
It is a reasonable conclusion to think that the Islanders would have defeated our 1980-81 Flames in the Stanley Cup Final, but I do think we would have put up a good fight.

We played the Islanders (and each of the other 19 teams) 4 times that year, twice in Calgary and twice on the road:
December 13, 1980 - NYI 4 @ Calgary 4
December 23, 1980 - Calgary 2 @ NYI 2
January 20, 1981 - Calgary 0 @ NYI 5
February 25, 1981 - NYI 4 @ Calgary 11
I think we had team that matched up better with the Islanders than Minnesota did, who fell in 5 games in the Final. We had size and toughness, we were tough at home (only 5 losses in the regular season in the Corral that first year) and we showed we could win a big game on the road with a game 7 victory at the Philadelphia Spectrum in round 2.
That was my recollection as well, which made the surprising loss to Minnesota so much more disappointing.
Steve Bozek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2017, 03:21 PM   #62
Hockey Fan #751
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Howie_16 View Post
It is a reasonable conclusion to think that the Islanders would have defeated our 1980-81 Flames in the Stanley Cup Final, but I do think we would have put up a good fight.

We played the Islanders (and each of the other 19 teams) 4 times that year, twice in Calgary and twice on the road:
December 13, 1980 - NYI 4 @ Calgary 4
December 23, 1980 - Calgary 2 @ NYI 2
January 20, 1981 - Calgary 0 @ NYI 5
February 25, 1981 - NYI 4 @ Calgary 11
I think we had team that matched up better with the Islanders than Minnesota did, who fell in 5 games in the Final. We had size and toughness, we were tough at home (only 5 losses in the regular season in the Corral that first year) and we showed we could win a big game on the road with a game 7 victory at the Philadelphia Spectrum in round 2.
That 11-4 game in Calgary really stands out. Wow!

Also, it's crazy that given the fact that back in the late 70s and early 80s travel was not as easy as it is today (most if not all teams flew commercial I'm sure) but yet they not only played a completely balanced schedule in the regular season but in the playoffs as well (with the 1 vs. 16 format).
Hockey Fan #751 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2017, 10:30 AM   #63
Corral
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

I miss yesterday when it comes to the NHL.
Corral is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2017, 11:43 AM   #64
Textcritic
Acerbic Cyberbully

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corral View Post
I miss yesterday when it comes to the NHL.
It's okay. Yesterday was a relatively slow day.

Quote:
Originally Posted by woob
"...harem warfare? like all your wives dressup and go paintballing?"
"The Lying Pen of Scribes" Ancient Manuscript Forgeries Project
Textcritic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2017, 03:32 PM   #65
GioforPM
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hockey Fan #751 View Post

Also, it's crazy that given the fact that back in the late 70s and early 80s travel was not as easy as it is today (most if not all teams flew commercial I'm sure) but yet they not only played a completely balanced schedule in the regular season but in the playoffs as well (with the 1 vs. 16 format).
I remember that game. IIRC Chouinard skated behind the net but made a ridiculous behind the back pass to (I think) Nilsson and the red light was on before either defenceman or the goalie even knew the pass was made. They were still following Chouinard as he went around the net.

eta: Brent Sutter was a first time call-up for the Isles in that game.
GioforPM is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to GioforPM For This Useful Post:
Old 07-17-2017, 03:35 PM   #66
GioforPM
Franchise Player

Exp:

The Following User Says Thank You to GioforPM For This Useful Post:
Old 07-17-2017, 10:33 PM   #67
Eric Vail
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hockey Fan #751 View Post

Don't forget that for years, the first round of the playoffs was 4 games in 5 nights. I wish they'd get back to that and finish the season earlier.
Eric Vail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2017, 11:03 PM   #68
Reggie Dunlop
All I can get

Exp:

There used to be a place. Honey's Pizza on 10th Ave. Long gone now. After home games, the place would shut down and the Flames would party there. So goes the legend.
Reggie Dunlop is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Reggie Dunlop For This Useful Post:
Old 07-17-2017, 11:38 PM   #69
RougeUnderoos
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GioforPM View Post
I remember that game. IIRC Chouinard skated behind the net but made a ridiculous behind the back pass to (I think) Nilsson and the red light was on before either defenceman or the goalie even knew the pass was made. They were still following Chouinard as he went around the net.
Are you sure it wasn't the other way around? Nilsson to Chouinard? I don't remember that goal specifically but I know Nilsson did that trick a few times.

Could be Chouinard, not saying it wasn't, but I only remember Nilsson doing it. Totally could be wrong because Chouinard had some hands too, of course.

RougeUnderoos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2017, 08:02 AM   #70
GioforPM
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by RougeUnderoos View Post
Are you sure it wasn't the other way around? Nilsson to Chouinard? I don't remember that goal specifically but I know Nilsson did that trick a few times.

Could be Chouinard, not saying it wasn't, but I only remember Nilsson doing it. Totally could be wrong because Chouinard had some hands too, of course.
I can't be 100% sure. But I thought it was Chouinard, who was one of the best passers I've ever seen.

I just looked at the stat line - Nilsson had three goals and Chouinard had none. Oh, and the Isles were missing just a few players (named Trottier, Bossy, Potvin and Tonelli).
Old 07-18-2017, 10:27 PM   #71
Rejean31
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GioforPM View Post
I can't be 100% sure. But I thought it was Chouinard, who was one of the best passers I've ever seen.

I just looked at the stat line - Nilsson had three goals and Chouinard had none. Oh, and the Isles were missing just a few players (named Trottier, Bossy, Potvin and Tonelli).
Actually I think the goal you are thinking of was in the 10-0 win over the Red Wings in 1981. Nilsson carried the puck behind the net, the Red Wing defenceman chased him behind the net, the Red Wing goalie followed him over to the far post and Nilsson just did a nifty little drop pass to Eric Vail who deposited the puck in the open side of the net.