Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Closed Thread

Old 07-17-2017, 12:11 PM   #701
Jiri Hrdina
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gaudfather View Post
The guys at SN all tend to give the Flames org the benefit of the doubt (Boomer, Kerr, Steinberg, Loubo etc.) Likewise the print media tend to be supportive as well. Pinder can be critical sometimes and probably the most critical is the blogosphere like Ryan Pike.

It's not all a love fest, but Flames get more leash than say the Leafs or Habs.
I generally believe that the local media strikes the right balance. Not always, but generally.
The Oilers and Habs are on the extremes. The Edmonton media are generally self-admitted fans who cheerlead. The Montreal media can be ruthless and apply far too much pressure on the team and individual players, unfairly.

For the most part the local media is critical when they should be and praise when they should.

On the Fan, a guy like Rhett Warrener provides some of the most honest criticism, which allows Boom to be more positive, though even he will rip on a player (e.g. Reto Berra, Ramo, Jokinen, etc).

Where it gets challenging, and where I sense fan frustration is with interviews - and that the media is too softbally in the approach. However, if you go after someone in an interview, chances are you may not get that person again, or anyone else from the team. So that is a hard balance to strike.

As fans, you also can seek out the most balanced coverage. If I want a true sense of things I simply look towards someone like Eric D who is probably the most balanced hockey reporter on the planet.
The Following User Says Thank You to Jiri Hrdina For This Useful Post:
Old 07-17-2017, 12:38 PM   #702
Poe969
Franchise Player

Exp:

Man I'd love to hear some news about this one way or the other, at this point I don't care if they sign Iggy or not, I just want to know.
Old 07-17-2017, 12:46 PM   #703
oldschoolcalgary
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fire View Post
You think Iginla would be fine playing on the 4th line after being the face of the franchise so many years? I don't think so. Brouwer is a nobody, him playing on the 4th line is nothing like Iginla playing on the 4th line.
Yeah, i absolutely, i think a 40 year old guy would be more than happy playing on the 4th line...

I mean is this a serious question?

its the second week of July and he doesn't even have a contract... I doubt he's delusional enough to think he's a top 6 player at 40....if he gets some pp time added to that bottom six ice time I am sure he'd be fine with it.
Old 07-17-2017, 12:48 PM   #704
CMPunk
aka Spike

Exp:

I found an Iginla Olympic jersey at the Hockey Canada sale today. Its a sign!!! He's coming back!!!!
The Following User Says Thank You to CMPunk For This Useful Post:
Old 07-17-2017, 12:51 PM   #705
jlh2640
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CMPunk View Post
I found an Iginla Olympic jersey at the Hockey Canada sale today. Its a sign!!! He's coming back!!!!
Man I want this to be real
Old 07-17-2017, 12:54 PM   #706
Bingo
Owner

Exp:

I'm so torn ...

It would be an amazing story, but if I'm Treliving the only way I do it is if I sit down with Gulutzan and Giordano and talk it out.

The Flames have a very good "room" right now and you don't want to upset it with confusion or a power struggle.

I'm certainly not going to suggest Iginla is a bad egg or a cancer in any way shape or form, but he's the previous captain and he was the face of the franchise so you have to make sure all eyes are wide open when it comes to leadership, role, ice time, from all parties before you entertain it.

I'm not privy to the true story, but it's certainly been suggested and hinted that the room wasn't in that great a shape towards the end of Iginla's tenure. You won't want to mess things up entering a window.

Hopefully I was careful enough not to piss off Iginla backers, I know it's an emotionally charged topic.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Bingo For This Useful Post:
Old 07-17-2017, 12:57 PM   #707
GioforPM
Franchise Player

Exp:

I'm not convinced Iginla will take fourth line money, assuming he's willing to play that role (and I suspect he is). I think he is going to want $2M, which I suppose he would see as 4th line + PP + veteran intangibles.

So the question will be, do we pay that instead of a small two way deal for someone like Hathaway?
Old 07-17-2017, 12:58 PM   #708
Textcritic
Acerbic Cyberbully

Exp:

Quote:
You think Iginla would be fine playing on the 4th line after being the face of the franchise so many years?...
I don't think it would be a big deal. Iginla ranked 10th in ATOI among forwards in Colorado last season, and sixth on the power play. He was already playing a support role on one of the worst teams in the League; on what grounds would he complain about reprising a similar role for a playoff team?

Quote:
Originally Posted by woob
"...harem warfare? like all your wives dressup and go paintballing?"
"The Lying Pen of Scribes" Ancient Manuscript Forgeries Project
The Following User Says Thank You to Textcritic For This Useful Post:
Old 07-17-2017, 12:59 PM   #709
oldschoolcalgary
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bingo View Post
I'm so torn ...

It would be an amazing story, but if I'm Treliving the only way I do it is if I sit down with Gulutzan and Giordano and talk it out.

The Flames have a very good "room" right now and you don't want to upset it with confusion or a power struggle.

I'm certainly not going to suggest Iginla is a bad egg or a cancer in any way shape or form, but he's the previous captain and he was the face of the franchise so you have to make sure all eyes are wide open when it comes to leadership, role, ice time, from all parties before you entertain it.

I'm not privy to the true story, but it's certainly been suggested and hinted that the room wasn't in that great a shape towards the end of Iginla's tenure. You won't want to mess things up entering a window.

Hopefully I was careful enough not to piss off Iginla backers, I know it's an emotionally charged topic.
and if that story is true, then the signing will not happen... but it would be on the veterans to talk to brad and glen to explain their reservations....

I think some posters, like myself, are cautious, but wouldn't close the door unless the contract demands are out of whack for what kind of player that 40 year old Iggy is now... a one year deal worth 1 million like what cammy signed seems pretty safe imo...if its more than than (not including bonus money), that becomes harder calculus to rationalize

If the signing happens, i am sure it would be with the blessing of the Flames dressing room... if it doesn't, well its time to finally move on
Old 07-17-2017, 01:00 PM   #710
jlh2640
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldschoolcalgary View Post
and if that story is true, then the signing will not happen... but it would be on the veterans to talk to brad and glen to explain their reservations....

I think some posters, like myself, are cautious, but wouldn't close the door unless the contract demands are out of whack for what kind of player that 40 year old Iggy is now... a one year deal worth 1 million like what cammy signed seems pretty safe imo...if its more than than (not including bonus money), that becomes harder calculus to rationalize

If the signing happens, i am sure it would be with the blessing of the Flames dressing room... if it doesn't, well its time to finally move on
If this last contract is about money for Jarome then he has big issues lol
Old 07-17-2017, 01:04 PM   #711
flambers
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
I'm so torn ...

Eric Francis was on Fan960 last Friday, and also hinted at the situation was not great between the Flames and Iginla when he left.

His point of view, signing won't happen.
Old 07-17-2017, 01:05 PM   #712
Clever_Iggy
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
I'm so torn ...

Word for word my feelings. If Gio and Gulutzen feel like the room is in a good place with that addition, Gulutzen and Treliving feel that Iginla would make the team better and Iginla knows and is comfortable with his role, but on the ice and with the team generally, I'm in. But I have my doubts all three of those things can happen.

If Iginla can be rested during the season periodically, that would be an added bonus and something the parties should align on.
Old 07-17-2017, 01:06 PM   #713
GioforPM
Franchise Player

Exp:

Francis has a terrible record on this sort of thing. He substitutes his own opinion for others' and for facts on the ground as well.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to GioforPM For This Useful Post:
Old 07-17-2017, 01:08 PM   #714
Toonage
Taking a while to get to 5000

Exp:

If you have to rest a 3rd or 4th line player periodically to ensure he can perform, is he really worth having on the roster? Just seems that money could go elsewhere (bank it, for example the trade deadline) and let a kid take the spot. Lazar for example could fill the 3LRW spot nicely.

Last edited by Toonage; 07-17-2017 at 01:11 PM.
Old 07-17-2017, 01:12 PM   #715
The Yen Man
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by flambers View Post
Eric Francis was on Fan960 last Friday, and also hinted at the situation was not great between the Flames and Iginla when he left.

His point of view, signing won't happen.
The same Eric Francis that said definitively that Boudreau was the next coach of the Flames, or that Russell at $5M AAV with the Flames was a done deal?

Guy has no inside information, but just acts like he does. He's spit balling like the rest of us.
The Following User Says Thank You to The Yen Man For This Useful Post:
Old 07-17-2017, 01:16 PM   #716
Fire
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldschoolcalgary View Post
Yeah, i absolutely, i think a 40 year old guy would be more than happy playing on the 4th line...

I mean is this a serious question?

its the second week of July and he doesn't even have a contract... I doubt he's delusional enough to think he's a top 6 player at 40....if he gets some pp time added to that bottom six ice time I am sure he'd be fine with it.
Agree to disagree, but I think if Treliving told Iginla he would start on the 4th line, he would says thanks but no thanks. I can't recall any players of Iginla's stature that would sign a new contract knowing they would most likely be on the 4th line. Can you name any?

Old 07-17-2017, 01:19 PM   #717
DeluxeMoustache

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toonage View Post
If you have to rest a 3rd or 4th line player periodically to ensure he can perform, is he really worth having on the roster? Just seems that money could go elsewhere (bank it, for example the trade deadline) and let a kid take the spot. Lazar for example could fill the 3LRW spot nicely.
Consider the way Hathaway plays. A game that is arguably not sustainable for 82 games, at least not with significant minutes. Or Bouma. As a regular, he wasn't doing the things that he did in his contract year. So maybe there are cases where a bottom 6 winger could get some time eating popcorn but not in a negative way.
The Following User Says Thank You to DeluxeMoustache For This Useful Post:
Old 07-17-2017, 01:23 PM   #718
DeluxeMoustache

Exp:

Quote:
Agree to disagree, but I think if Treliving told Iginla he would start on the 4th line, he would says thanks but no thanks. I can't recall any players of Iginla's stature that would sign a new contract knowing they would most likely be on the 4th line. Can you name any?
I think that the situation is such that there are few playoff contending teams offering anything at all, so if the options are retirement or 4th line, based on how competitive he is known to be, I could see it
Old 07-17-2017, 01:31 PM   #719
zuluking
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

I want him to sign with the Flames just so we will finally know EXACTLY what game will be his last game at the 'dome.
Old 07-17-2017, 01:38 PM   #720
ComixZone
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
I'm so torn ...

I'm probably the most pro-Iggy person on here, and I still think this would be an absolute requirement. No way do you go down this path without the thumbs up from both Gio and Gully.
Closed Thread