Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Closed Thread

Old 07-16-2017, 11:10 PM   #681
Ace
First Line Centre

Exp:
Default Iginla Destination Discussion

Quote:
Originally Posted by New Era View Post
So how do you feel about having to carry dead weight at your job? How do you feel when you knock your dick into the dirt and some guy that's been around forever gets to slide, just because they've been around forever? That ever get on your nerves? Or how about when management brings in some dufus who is a friend of someone and doesn't contribute like everyone else, but they get all the attention, because of whose friend they are? That ever piss you off?

I've never been a fan of the "mascot" player. It isn't a motivator. After high school, this #### is garbage. Sure, you feel good for Rudy, but you aren't playing the game for him. You sure as hell hate it when someone focuses on Rudy and you're bleeding out there for your team, while Rudy is on the bench doing nothing or playing sheltered minutes. Respect the players who are out there killing themselves and provide them supporting players who will give the team the best chance to win, not give the fans some warm and fuzzy. No one is going to play any harder because Iginla is on the roster, but they are going to resent the #### out of being asked questions about a player on the margins of the roster when they are the guys carrying the load and not getting the respect they deserve.

Anyone who thinks the guys from the '89 Flames were playing for McDonald, and not for fulfilling their personal dreams of winning a Stanley Cup is absolutely delusional. McDonald was a great media story, and nice for the team, but none of those players were thinking about Lanny when they were battling along the boards or fighting to score a goal. When asked after winning the Conn Smythe, Al MacInnis didn't say "Lanny's going to Disneyland!" No one is going to give a shot about Iginla when it comes down to game seven and overtime is on the line. This is their shot at immortality. They'll play for themselves and the guys who helped them get there, not a late addition who is a hanger on.

Professional sports losing the emotional underdog come from behind feel good story is the moment it ends for me; this is entertainment, and the story line is what makes it fun. A league with a bunch of robotic sound bytes and no storyline will die IMO.

I'd love to see another cup here, but honestly a NJ Devils boring as heck cup win would not be my preference over an Iginla return with some feel good moments throughout the year that didn't end at the top. I'm also getting older and definitely realize that sports is pretty low on the totem poll of what's really important (use to think a lot differently when I was younger)
Old 07-17-2017, 08:03 AM   #682
Greybeard
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

What bothers me about the guys who want Iggy back is that most of them want room for us to develop and play our young guys. Iggy or Ferland/Bennett/Tkachuk/Lazar/etc on the top 6. Give him a one day but no thanks to more than that.
Old 07-17-2017, 08:07 AM   #683
CsInMyBlood
Franchise Player

Location: F*** me. We're so f***ing good, you check the f***ing standings? Lets f***ing go! F***ing practice!
Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greybeard View Post
What bothers me about the guys who want Iggy back is that most of them want room for us to develop and play our young guys. Iggy or Ferland/Bennett/Tkachuk/Lazar/etc on the top 6. Give him a one day but no thanks to more than that.
The beauty of signing Jarome is exactly that. He isn't guaranteed anything.

If a young guy outplays Iginla, he will get the ice time over Iginla.

The main reason in my mind that the Flames would pick up Jarome is the toughness he brings into the line up. He still has it and the willingness to stick up for his teammates. Any thing else would be gravy.

Backlund for Selke 2017 2018
Oilers suck.
The Following User Says Thank You to CsInMyBlood For This Useful Post:
Old 07-17-2017, 08:11 AM   #684
Robbob
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CsInMyBlood View Post

The main reason in my mind that the Flames would pick up Jarome is the toughness he brings into the line up. He still has it and the willingness to stick up for his teammates. Any thing else would be gravy.
As long as there is an understanding with him coming here means he may be the 13th forward for portions of the season, whether performance based or scheduled rest. I think his role needs to be clearly defined so things don't backfire if a younger player breaks out.
Old 07-17-2017, 08:17 AM   #685
Ozy_Flame

Posted the 6 millionth post!

Exp:

Which is why he should cost no more than about a million. After that, he'll get bumped down. This is why I don't see this happening, I think another team is going to pay him more and Calgary isn't his #1 priority. All he has to do is wait a bit closer to training camp.
Old 07-17-2017, 08:18 AM   #686
Fire
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CsInMyBlood View Post

Can't wait for the media to start controversies about Iginla's ice-time compared to younger guys on the team. Shouldn't cause any distractions at all...

Old 07-17-2017, 08:22 AM   #687
mrdonkey
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fire View Post
Can't wait for the media to start controversies about Iginla's ice-time compared to younger guys on the team. Shouldn't cause any distractions at all...

Maybe you should wait for him to actually sign first. The longer this drags out the more I believe Jaromer2.0 was just stirring the pot.
Old 07-17-2017, 08:26 AM   #688
Vinny01
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Exactly it shouldn't. You even implying it is making a mountain out of a mole hill.

Say we sign Iggy and Lazar outplays him and moves ahead of him on the depth chart. You think that is going to cause some kind of controversy? Iggy getting bumped down would cause no less controversy than our high priced free agent signing last summer Brouwer playing on the 4th line (which didn't really result in any issue with the team/media)
Old 07-17-2017, 08:31 AM   #689
CroFlames
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greybeard View Post
Excuse us for attaching a little bit of emotion and a feel good story to a corporate logo we choose to support instead of other corporate logos and billionaire owners.

I am fully aware of how silly supporting a sports business is in the grand scheme of things, but I like it. So I want my favorite all-time player to come finish a storybook career with a Cup where it all started. Sue me.
The Following 11 Users Say Thank You to CroFlames For This Useful Post:
Old 07-17-2017, 09:30 AM   #690
Fire
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinny01 View Post
Exactly it shouldn't. You even implying it is making a mountain out of a mole hill.

Say we sign Iggy and Lazar outplays him and moves ahead of him on the depth chart. You think that is going to cause some kind of controversy? Iggy getting bumped down would cause no less controversy than our high priced free agent signing last summer Brouwer playing on the 4th line (which didn't really result in any issue with the team/media)
You think Iginla would be fine playing on the 4th line after being the face of the franchise so many years? I don't think so. Brouwer is a nobody, him playing on the 4th line is nothing like Iginla playing on the 4th line.

The Following User Says Thank You to Fire For This Useful Post:
Old 07-17-2017, 09:37 AM   #691
jlh2640
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
You think Iginla would be fine playing on the 4th line after being the face of the franchise so many years? I don't think so. Brouwer is a nobody, him playing on the 4th line is nothing like Iginla playing on the 4th line.
I think Iginla understands at this point that he has to come in and be a good team mate in whatever role on whatever team he is on. If he is not prepared for that then he should just retire. To me he gets painted with a bad rap. Listen to what any of his team mates said in LA or Colorado as recent as last year. He is revered as a team mate. Gio said even after their near fight that they he is one of the most competitive guys and hard working guys hes ever played with. If he does not have a better offer then he should return to Calgary and finish where he started. It would make this season memorable for many reasons.
Old 07-17-2017, 09:54 AM   #692
Vinny01
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
You seem to have a problem with it but I am not convinced Iggy will. This is a guy with one year left. He wants to win. The Flames may be a team that he ends up being a top line guy but if he fails to do that and gets passed by Ferland/Frolik/Lazar and is stuck on the 4th line and the Flames are a top 5 team in the league I don't see Iggy having a problem with it.

He was the face of the franchise and that is now Gaudreau, Monahan, or Giordano.

Where I think some people struggle with Iginla is they can't get the past out of their heads. The past plays a part in bringing him back but we are not riding back the same player. 4 and a half years have passed. The only roster players still on the team when Iggy was here are Gio, Brodie, Backlund, Stajan and Dougie played with him during his year in Boston.

The Fans, Owners, and 4 players are the same. Everything else is new from Iggy's time here
Old 07-17-2017, 09:55 AM   #693
CroFlames
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Seriously, do you even watch hockey?

In your mind, Brouwer considers himself a nobody, has no self pride or competitive edge, so will be totally fine playing on the 4th line. Whereas a 40 year old Iginla, who has clearly lost a step, is too proud to play 4th line minutes simply because he played for the Flames before?

It's like people forget that Iggy has been in the NHL business for 20+ years. I think he knows how things work.
Old 07-17-2017, 10:01 AM   #694
Strange Brew
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinny01 View Post

Is there ever any media controversy with the Calgary Flames? From what I read on here and during my visits to Calgary, local media treats the team with kid gloves to say the least.
Old 07-17-2017, 10:07 AM   #695
Rejean31
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Strange Brew View Post
Is there ever any media controversy with the Calgary Flames? From what I read on here and during my visits to Calgary, local media treats the team with kid gloves to say the least.
I think you are mistaken. You must be thinking about the Oilers and the Edmonton media. Calgary media does not go easy on their sports teams. Edmonton media, on the other hand...
Old 07-17-2017, 10:27 AM   #696
jlh2640
First Line Centre

Exp:

Down with Edmonton !!
Old 07-17-2017, 10:52 AM   #697
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Strange Brew View Post
It's not like Edmonton where the local media are bought and paid for but yes the local media in Calgary is nowhere near as critical of the team as other Canadian markets outside of Alberta.
Old 07-17-2017, 11:02 AM   #698
FanIn80
GOAT!

Exp:

I really don't see Iginla being a distrac... covfefe.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to FanIn80 For This Useful Post:
Old 07-17-2017, 11:07 AM   #699
Gaudfather
Franchise Player

Exp:

The guys at SN all tend to give the Flames org the benefit of the doubt (Boomer, Kerr, Steinberg, Loubo etc.) Likewise the print media tend to be supportive as well. Pinder can be critical sometimes and probably the most critical is the blogosphere like Ryan Pike.

It's not all a love fest, but Flames get more leash than say the Leafs or Habs.
Old 07-17-2017, 12:10 PM   #700
Fire
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CroFlames View Post
Seriously, do you even watch hockey?
Stay classy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CroFlames View Post
In your mind, Brouwer considers himself a nobody, has no self pride or competitive edge, so will be totally fine playing on the 4th line. Whereas a 40 year old Iginla, who has clearly lost a step, is too proud to play 4th line minutes simply because he played for the Flames before?

It's like people forget that Iggy has been in the NHL business for 20+ years. I think he knows how things work.

Former stars like Iginla don't stick around the NHL to play on the 4th. He would rather retire. Sorry if you don't believe it but it's true.

Closed Thread