Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum

View Poll Results: Best guess at Sam Bennett's contract
2 years $6M ($3/) 34 5.57%
2 years $5.5M 62 10.16%
2 years $5M 105 17.21%
2 years $4.5M 118 19.34%
2 years $4M 55 9.02%
3 years $9M 53 8.69%
3 years $8.25M 47 7.70%
3 years $7.5M 54 8.85%
3 years $6.75M 30 4.92%
3 years $6M 10 1.64%
1 year deal 8 1.31%
Long Term deal 34 5.57%
Voters: 610. You may not vote on this poll

Old 05-03-2017, 06:06 PM   #81
EldrickOnIce
Franchise Player

Exp:

^ so what's the answer, bigr?
Play Bennett more minutes the Monahan? Than Backlund?
Do you want to see him on the wing instead?
If Bennet is playing center, it's got to be 3rd line right now.
EldrickOnIce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2017, 06:28 PM   #82
bigrangy
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by EldrickOnIce View Post
^ so what's the answer, bigr?
Play Bennett more minutes the Monahan? Than Backlund?
Do you want to see him on the wing instead?
If Bennet is playing center, it's got to be 3rd line right now.
Well you need to find a balance between player development and winning.

Bennett is definitely the 3rd best option the Flames have at center right now, so he won't be able to get the prime minutes if the Flames want to win. Obviously, you'd want to give him some PP time, but he hasn't exactly shown that he's one of the best options for that either. But if he's to be kept in the NHL he needs to play top 6 minutes with top 6 line mates with favorable deployment alongside the top 4 defensemen and some PP and PK time. I don't support Bennett on the wing either, so this would mean Backlund would have to be pushed down the roster and made to play with the Brouwers and Chiassons of the world.

Maaaaaaybe, and it would be drastic and never before seen and I cannot imagine the chirps that Bennett, Flames management, and Flames fans would receive but maaaaaaybe you could send Bennett to be the number 1 center in Stockton and have Jankowski replace him in Calgary. It would look stupid since he's already played 150 games in the NHL but Ottawa should have done the same thing to Lazar this season. Dal Cole and Virtanen, the two players picked right after him, will be in the AHL as well next season. Have Bennett dominate and build his confidence and allow him to be a scorer instead of a third line checker. If he has a great year, then you try to trade Backlund for assets, and if he doesn't and looks like a bust then I guess you just accept it. Bennett absolutely, 100%, indisputably has the abilities and proven track record of performance to be a top 6 and likely top line scorer in this league and anything short of that should be a scathing indictment of the Flames development system.

Last edited by bigrangy; 05-03-2017 at 06:31 PM.
bigrangy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2017, 06:34 PM   #83
getbak
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigrangy View Post
Maaaaaaybe, and it would be drastic and never before seen and I cannot imagine the chirps that Bennett, Flames management, and Flames fans would receive but maaaaaaybe you could send Bennett to be the number 1 center in Stockton and have Jankowski replace him in Calgary.
He's not waiver exempt anymore and he would never clear waivers, so that won't happen.
Old 05-03-2017, 06:45 PM   #84
calgaryblood
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Love View Post
Draisaitl isn't better than Bennett
Yes he is.
calgaryblood is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to calgaryblood For This Useful Post:
Old 05-03-2017, 08:24 PM   #85
bigrangy
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by getbak View Post
He's not waiver exempt anymore and he would never clear waivers, so that won't happen.
Ah thought he was. Well then top 6 it is.

Though he only has 159 regular season games of the permitted 160, and I don't know if playoff games count towards waiver exemption.
Old 05-03-2017, 08:56 PM   #86
getbak
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigrangy View Post
Ah thought he was. Well then top 6 it is.

Though he only has 159 regular season games of the permitted 160, and I don't know if playoff games count towards waiver exemption.
They do. It's 160 NHL games, which includes both regular season and playoffs.

Even if they didn't count, he'd still lose his exemption next season because he has now played 3 seasons (see example B here: https://capfriendly.com/waivers-faq).
Old 05-03-2017, 09:45 PM   #87
DJones
First Line Centre

Exp:

How the hell would playing in Stockton be better than 3rd line for his development?

Just nonsense
DJones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2017, 09:53 PM   #88
Ullr
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJones View Post
How the hell would playing in Stockton be better than 3rd line for his development?

Just nonsense
He literally just gave his reasoning and opinion for it. Lol

Sent from my ONEPLUS A3000 using Tapatalk
Ullr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2017, 10:05 PM   #89
DJones
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ullr View Post
He literally just gave his reasoning and opinion for it. Lol

Needs better linemates... better send him to the AHL.

The logic was nonsense.
DJones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2017, 12:12 AM   #90
ComixZone
Franchise Player

Exp:

This endless comparison that people want to make between Draisaitl and Bennett is useless. There's also a number of reasons why it's simply not a very good comparison, despite where they were drafted. Draisaitl is 8 months older than Bennett and has had an additional year of development - and when you're talking about 20 and 21 year olds - that's very significant. So if you're going to make the comparison - make the comparison properly. You can't discount the situations the players are in when neither player has much of a history to draw from and then proclaim one is better than the other. Also, there's absolutely no reason to try and judge players so early in their careers - players take time, and centres specifically can take a lot of time to develop. As he is today, Bennett is a 3rd line centre on a playoff team. What were you expecting? He was never touted as a generational player, so just go right ahead and throw your own silly expectations out the window because they just don't matter.

Even after all that though - why the comparison? From a Flames standpoint, it's not like we passed on Draisaitl to take Bennett.

Yeah - I'm really bummed that we took Rasmus Andersson and didn't get Connor McDavid, but hey - that's life.

Last edited by ComixZone; 05-04-2017 at 12:15 AM.
ComixZone is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to ComixZone For This Useful Post:
Old 05-04-2017, 06:28 AM   #91
Vinny01
Franchise Player

Exp:

Comparing a 3rd and 4th overall both drafted as centers makes a lot more sense than a number 1 and 53rd overall.
Vinny01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2017, 08:33 AM   #92
VilleN
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinny01 View Post
Comparing a 3rd and 4th overall both drafted as centers makes a lot more sense than a number 1 and 53rd overall.
His point was that we never had the chance to draft Draisatl, so no point in being bent out of shape about it. I actually wanted Draisatl at the time because I thought the Flames needed to be bigger down the middle... I am happy with Bennett though, and I think the comparison is difficult because Draisatl's stats are definitely being pumped up by the McDavid effect... but that aside, as it stands at this moment in time, for argument's sake, Draisatl is the better player.
VilleN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2017, 09:55 AM   #93
Vinny01
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by VilleN View Post
His point was that we never had the chance to draft Draisatl, so no point in being bent out of shape about it. I actually wanted Draisatl at the time because I thought the Flames needed to be bigger down the middle... I am happy with Bennett though, and I think the comparison is difficult because Draisatl's stats are definitely being pumped up by the McDavid effect... but that aside, as it stands at this moment in time, for argument's sake, Draisatl is the better player.
Yet we compare Tkachuk to Juolevi because that works out in our favor. The Flames were getting Bennett, Draisaitl, or Reinhart in 2014 and many predicted it would be Draisaitl as he was most often ranked 4th by most major outlets. The Bennett pull-up issue and the fact the Oilers were covering a bigger body (and Drainplayed in their backyard) lead many to believe he would be their pick. I was really happy as I thought Draisaitl was too similar to Monahan in the fact that both were considered poor skaters and slow. I wanted the speedy Canadian with an edge.

To his credit Draisaitl has improved his skating immensely
Old 05-04-2017, 10:00 AM   #94
MJK
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ullr View Post
I'm pretty certain that Draisatl is the #2 center for the Oilers and has been that way for the majority of the season. He basically has been a Malkin-esque player behind McDavid.

No, he's played wing most of the year beside McDavid.
MJK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2017, 10:19 AM   #95
Steve Bozek
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Yet we compare Tkachuk to Juolevi because that works out in our favor. The Flames were getting Bennett, Draisaitl, or Reinhart in 2014 and many predicted it would be Draisaitl as he was most often ranked 4th by most major outlets. The Bennett pull-up issue and the fact the Oilers were covering a bigger body (and Drainplayed in their backyard) lead many to believe he would be their pick. I was really happy as I thought Draisaitl was too similar to Monahan in the fact that both were considered poor skaters and slow. I wanted the speedy Canadian with an edge.

At the end of the first year after they were drafted, Draisaitl had been sent back to juniors and Bennett was playing well in the playoffs for the Flames, so it was looking like we were ahead with Bennett. Draisaitl has blossomed this season (even alowing for the McDiver benefit to his stats), but he's older than Bennett, and, unlike Bennett, Draisaitl didn't miss what was almost a whole season with injury. Bennett's a different style of player, but he's progressed as this season played out. I think (hope) we'll see further improvement next season.
Steve Bozek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2017, 01:35 PM   #96
VilleN
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:

Nobody compares Tkachuk to Juolevi... Juolevi hasn't even played a game in the NHL, so it's not even a possible comparison... Flames fans just like to bug Canucks fans about that pick because right now, it looks like they missed out on a great player.
Old 05-04-2017, 01:42 PM   #97
Itse
Franchise Player

Exp:

Canucks fans have been talking about Tkachuk/Juolevi probably as much as Flames fans.
Itse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2017, 01:42 PM   #98
Vinny01
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Nobody compares Tkachuk to Juolevi... Juolevi hasn't even played a game in the NHL, so it's not even a possible comparison... Flames fans just like to bug Canucks fans about that pick because right now, it looks like they missed out on a great player.
Flames fans did the same thing with Bennett in 2015 when he looked like a stud in the playoffs and Draisaitl had 7pts in 40 games before he was sent back to junior. The main point I was trying to make is Draisaitl-Bennett is similar to Juolevi-Tkachuk because they were back to back lotto picks made by rival teams. Saying comparing Bennett to Draisaitl is the same as comparing McDavid to Rasmussen Anderson is not something I agree with.
Old 05-04-2017, 01:58 PM   #99
VilleN
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Flames fans did the same thing with Bennett in 2015 when he looked like a stud in the playoffs and Draisaitl had 7pts in 40 games before he was sent back to junior. The main point I was trying to make is Draisaitl-Bennett is similar to Juolevi-Tkachuk because they were back to back lotto picks made by rival teams. Saying comparing Bennett to Draisaitl is the same as comparing McDavid to Rasmussen Anderson is not something I agree with.
Yes, but the point of saying comparing Bennett-Draisatl is like comparing McDavid-Andersson is because we didn't pass on Draisatl to take Bennett, much like we didn't pass on McDavid to take Andersson, so there's no point in being upset that Draisatl appears to be the better player at this point. The comparison uses hyperbole to illustrate the point.
Old 05-04-2017, 02:04 PM   #100
Kovaz
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Yes, but the point of saying comparing Bennett-Draisatl is like comparing McDavid-Andersson is because we didn't pass on Draisatl to take Bennett, much like we didn't pass on McDavid to take Andersson, so there's no point in being upset that Draisatl appears to be the better player at this point. The comparison uses hyperbole to illustrate the point.
If you're trying to answer the question, "did we draft the wrong guy?" then yes, comparing Bennett to Draisaitl isn't meaningful because we didn't have the choice.

If you're trying to answer the question, "is our top-5 draft pick developing as well as he could be?", it's absolutely reasonable to compare him to other players that were ranked similarly as prospects, such as Draisaitl or Reinhart. On draft day they were absolutely in the same tier as prospects.
Kovaz is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Kovaz For This Useful Post: