Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum > Tech Talk
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

View Poll Results: What are you buying?
Xbox One 66 15.46%
PS4 189 44.26%
Changed from Xbox One to PS4 8 1.87%
Changed from PS4 to Xbox One 6 1.41%
Getting both (eventually) 30 7.03%
Waiting for more info 60 14.05%
Not getting either 68 15.93%
Voters: 427. You may not vote on this poll

Old 12-16-2015, 10:33 AM   #4401
Raekwon
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Imported_Aussie View Post
Do any of you use a gaming headset with PS4?

I am debating getting the Playstation Gold headset, but the Kingston HyperX Cloud also looks good.

If I step up to a headset it has to have surround sound, as otherwise it doesn't justify the cash to jump up from my pair of earbuds.

Any feedback on headsets?
I use the PS4 Gold and I love them. I started with the Silver and though the sound is good they hurt my ears. When I switched to the Gold they fit really comfortable, the sounds were great especially with the companion app for the customized sound for games. battery life is pretty good also.

Also they work flawless as a wireless headset for you PC.
Raekwon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2015, 11:46 AM   #4402
Max Cow Disease
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Yes I've had quite a few headsets and would say that for price vs. quality, the Sony Gold is a great choice. Just buy it.
Old 12-16-2015, 02:30 PM   #4403
Diemenz
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Max Cow Disease View Post
Yes I've had quite a few headsets and would say that for price vs. quality, the Sony Gold is a great choice. Just buy it.
Agreed, I also have the gold and I'm very impressed with them
Old 12-16-2015, 03:04 PM   #4404
chemgear
Franchise Player

Exp:

Redflagdeals says it's $80 at SDM until the end of January.
chemgear is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2015, 04:05 PM   #4405
Russic
Dances with Wolves

Exp:

I bought a Sony headset when my son began sleeping in the room adjacent to my gaming area. He's no longer sleeping there and I haven't gone back to using speakers. I love being able to adjust voice and game volume depending on the game (there's a slider on the side).
Russic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2015, 04:06 PM   #4406
Anduril
Franchise Player

Exp:

Jumping on the PS4 gold train, can only complain about relatively short battery life (but that means you'll have to charge it after 6 hours which isn't a problem for most people, sound quality is decent and build quality okay.

However the best thing the value you get for the prize, especially if it's on sale. Definitely one of the best starter headsets to get when making the jump from earbuds.
Anduril is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2015, 09:19 AM   #4407
chemgear
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by chemgear View Post
Should be some big numbers for this holiday season!

http://news.xbox.com/2015/12/03/xbox...inues-to-rise/

Hmmm I thought Xbone sales were basically flat from last year, I can't reconcile their statement about sales jumping 57%.

Worldwide Xbox Black Friday sales in the Xbox Store broke records with an increase of 57 percent across Xbox One and Xbox 360, global Xbox Live Gold subscriptions were up over 40 percent, and U.S. Xbox One console sales at retail were up 22 percent over the same period last year, making it the second biggest Black Friday week in 15 years of Xbox history in the U.S.

EDIT: Oh, ha! No wonder that Microsoft press release has *, **, ***, ****, *****, and footnotes all over it. Was reading around and apparently they are selectively picking stats for their 57% increase. The "Nov. 21 – Nov. 27" they use includes Black Friday this year but Black Friday last year was November 28. So their comparison is excluding all the Black Friday sales last year against the inclusion of Black Friday sales this year - they call it "Black Friday week" without Black Friday apparently. No wonder they have such an artificially massive percentage increase. That's some epic PR statistics spin. Give that guy a raise, amazing!

Last edited by chemgear; 12-17-2015 at 10:10 AM.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to chemgear For This Useful Post:
Old 12-17-2015, 05:14 PM   #4408
White Out 403
Franchise Player

Exp:

Got an Xbox one. Not bad. I think I do prefer the Xbox controller vs the ps4 one. Nice to be able to play forza now.
White Out 403 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2015, 07:45 AM   #4409
savemedrzaius
Help, save, whatever.

Exp:

Should I buy a PS3 or PS4?

Or XBOX 360 or XBOXone?

It's about a 200 dollar difference between the older versions, but I don't care that much about graphics and just want something to play when I have free time.
savemedrzaius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2015, 08:06 AM   #4410
Rhettzky
Franchise Player

Exp:

Ps4
Old 12-18-2015, 08:42 AM   #4411
Imported_Aussie
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by savemedrzaius View Post

Or XBOX 360 or XBOXone?

It's about a 200 dollar difference between the older versions, but I don't care that much about graphics and just want something to play when I have free time.

PS3/XBOX 360 are cheaper, more games out and games are cheaper, but there wont be much new content. If you want a minimal investment and a cheap, diverse library you could also grab a slightly older PC and go nuts on steam sales. Buy one of these now, you will probably end up going out in 2 years to upgrade out of necessity.

PS4/XBOXone are now just starting to get enough games that they are worth the investment. But not only is the initial cost higher, the games also start higher. If you are like me, and only play 2-3 games at a time, since you can't sink a ton of time into it, then that isn't as big a deal, once you get past the initial cost. Will last you longer.

If you want to spend less now, and are prepared to upgrade in 2 years or so, then the old gen would be a good stopgap. A lot of fun games on those systems that still hold up (e.g. Mass Effect 2, 3).

But if you aren't looking for a wide range of games, spend the extra now to get the new system and slowly build a collection as you play out games
Imported_Aussie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2015, 10:16 AM   #4412
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

Or XBOX 360 or XBOXone?

If you don't care about graphics and just want some games to play I would get the Xbox 360 because it has a solid library, is still readily available, and it will have Xbox Live support for a while still.
Erick Estrada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2015, 10:18 AM   #4413
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

I'm a little bummed out about the lack of availability of the Xbox One Elite controller. Did Microsoft underestimate demand or are they having issues manufacturing them in a timely manner? They were supposed to be available in Canada in November but I don't believe we have seen any and US availability is limited mostly to losers on ebay and Amazon trying to make a quick buck.
Erick Estrada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2015, 10:48 AM   #4414
Igottago
Franchise Player

Exp:

Any advantages to owning both Xbox One and PS4 right now or are the libraries still pretty similar? I've already had the Xbox One for a while, and know I will pick up a PS4 at some point but wondering when to do it.

Seems like the libraries will have much more differentiation in 2016 from some of the things I've read, I'd like to just be able to play anything that interests me on either platform.

PS4 requires payment for online play now too right? I dunno of I'd want to pay for both Xbox Live and PSN each year.

Also, it seems like there aren't any PS4's with a 1TB hard drive yet?

"I was like Christ, lying on my back, with my arms outstretched, crucified"
-- Frank Musil - Early January 1994
Igottago is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2015, 11:56 AM   #4415
Imported_Aussie
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Igottago View Post
Any advantages to owning both Xbox One and PS4 right now or are the libraries still pretty similar? I've already had the Xbox One for a while, and know I will pick up a PS4 at some point but wondering when to do it.

Seems like the libraries will have much more differentiation in 2016 from some of the things I've read, I'd like to just be able to play anything that interests me on either platform.

PS4 requires payment for online play now too right? I dunno of I'd want to pay for both Xbox Live and PSN each year.

Also, it seems like there aren't any PS4's with a 1TB hard drive yet?
There are some PS4s with the 1TB HDD, but they are the old hardware model. Better to get a 500GB and replace the HDD yourself following Sony's tutorial.

I don't know if having both makes sense yet, it seems to me now that the consoles are moving closer together (less exclusives, both pay for online) and it comes down to choosing where your friends play and/or which controller you like better
Imported_Aussie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2015, 02:51 PM   #4416
Rhettzky
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erick Estrada View Post
I'm a little bummed out about the lack of availability of the Xbox One Elite controller. Did Microsoft underestimate demand or are they having issues manufacturing them in a timely manner? They were supposed to be available in Canada in November but I don't believe we have seen any and US availability is limited mostly to losers on ebay and Amazon trying to make a quick buck.
I laughed at the cost of those when they first came out but now I really want one. Wish Sony would copy this idea.
Old 12-18-2015, 05:29 PM   #4417
savemedrzaius
Help, save, whatever.

Exp:

Right now at BestBuy they have a PlayStation 4 500MB Starwars Battlefront Bundle for $370.

Is that a good deal? I don't need to order a system until the end of January. Do you guys think it would be better to wait until after Christmas to find an even better deal?
savemedrzaius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2015, 05:59 PM   #4418
Anduril
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Right now at BestBuy they have a PlayStation 4 500MB Starwars Battlefront Bundle for $370.

Is that a good deal? I don't need to order a system until the end of January. Do you guys think it would be better to wait until after Christmas to find an even better deal?
It'd be worth waiting since the Boxing Day Sale will be at least as good. How much better if at all will be unknown.

Only alternative for PS4 is getting a Scuff. I do wish there was something similar from Sony though.
Anduril is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2015, 06:05 PM   #4419
chemgear
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erick Estrada View Post
I haven't had too much trouble getting my hands on one. BestBuy had them a few days ago. Though Amazon.ca had an even better deal when it was sub $150 (!)

They keep popping up all the time. Keep an eye out on the Microsoft store too, the get more stock all the time.
Old 12-18-2015, 07:44 PM   #4420
psicodude
First Line Centre

Exp:

I picked up an elite controller at EB Games, but I had it preordered. It's expensive, but worth every dime.
psicodude is offline   Reply With Quote