Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 06-28-2017, 08:24 AM   #41
habernac
Franchise Player

Exp:

LOL, my best pal is a big Oiler fan. "Connor won't cripple the team with a big money deal, he'll take $9 million a season." No he won't.
habernac is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to habernac For This Useful Post:
Old 06-28-2017, 08:24 AM   #42
TurdFerguson
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Backlunds_socks View Post
I know Johnny and McJesus, but damn does JG's deal look sooooooooo gooood.

I'm willing to bet JG will be challenging McDavid for points throughout their careers.
No. Taking my flames tinted glasses off, McDavid is on another level compared to JG, and almost anyone else in the league. I expect the production gap between McDavid and JG to be meaningful throughout their careers.

Now, pts/dollar is a different story.
Old 06-28-2017, 08:25 AM   #43
Oling_Roachinen
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by username View Post
In years 6-8 that is going to look like a bargain if the cap keeps going up. People were saying the same thing when sid signed for 8 years at 8.7 but now it's one of the best contracts in hockey.
This will be Crosby's 10th season with an 8.7M cap hit and when he signed his first non ELC contract, the cap climbed from 50.3M in July 2017 to 64.3M before the lockout in 5 seasons.

After the lockout the cap has climbed from 64.3 to ~75M in 5 seasons. Had it changed at the same rate as the cap-hit was climbing during Crosby's early contract years, it would already be at 82M. So while the cap may continue to climb, it has slowed down significantly.
Oling_Roachinen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2017, 08:25 AM   #44
Weitz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by getbak View Post
Crosby's second contract was 17.30% of the Cap for five years when it was signed. Ovechkin's was 18.96% of the Cap for 13 years.

This will be 17.67% of the Cap when it's signed (if that number is accurate). So, he gets slightly more than Crosby, but the Oilers get 3 more years guaranteed.

The big difference is that when Crosby and Ovechkin signed their second contracts, the Cap was routinely increasing 5 or 6 million a year, which was greater than 10%. In fact, because they both signed the year before their new contracts took effect, the percentages had already dropped quite a bit before they even started.

In its first year, Crosby's contract was down to 15.34% of the Cap just because the Cap rose so much from year to year. Ovechkin's was down to 16.82% when it started.

If next year's cap goes up to $77 million (which would be in line with recent yearly increases), McDavid's deal will be 17.21% of the cap when it starts.

By its final year, Crosby's contract was only 12.39% of the Cap. In order for McDavid's contract to match that, the cap would have to rise to $107 million in the next six years (or about 7% per year).
Agree with the sentiment, although the stark difference is the cap was rising steadily at the time of those deals. Won't be happening here.

But this deal doesn't hand cuff the team. It's the other garbage contracts that will.

I am happy with the 8 years. Was resigned to 5 years 11-13 million AAV.
Weitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2017, 08:28 AM   #45
Geeoff
Franchise Player

Exp:

Patrick Kane won the same awards Connor did plus 3 Stanley Cups and he signed for $10m, plus he had more leverage with salary arbitration. People consider that a bad contract too.
Geeoff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2017, 08:28 AM   #46
TurdFerguson
Franchise Player

Exp:

13.25 doesn't do the Oilers any favors, but lets not kid ourselves, 30 other teams would love to be dealing with a 13.25M Connor McDavid problem.
Old 06-28-2017, 08:29 AM   #47
Mass_nerder
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Backlunds_socks View Post
I know Johnny and McJesus, but damn does JG's deal look sooooooooo gooood.

I'm willing to bet JG will be challenging McDavid for points throughout their careers.
I would love for that to be true, but I don't think it'll be close.
JG will probably be around 80-90 points in his prime, which is fantastic.
McMuffin will put up multiple 100 point seasons.
Mass_nerder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2017, 08:29 AM   #48
GGG
Franchise Player

Exp:

To hand cuff the oilers someone could offer Draisattle a 5 year 49 million dollar sheet

http://mynhltraderumors.com/2017-nhl...17/2017/06/02/

Per this site you can offer him a 5 year 9.8 million dollar per contract and only give up 2 first, 1 second, and a 3rd. Above that in either term or dollar and its 4 firsts.
GGG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2017, 08:30 AM   #49
Oling_Roachinen
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geeoff View Post
Patrick Kane won the same awards Connor did plus 3 Stanley Cups and he signed for $10m, plus he had more leverage with salary arbitration. People consider that a bad contract too.
This isn't true, Kane didn't have an Art Ross or Hart when he signed his contract and only two Cups.
Oling_Roachinen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2017, 08:30 AM   #50
Ashasx
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by TurdFerguson View Post
13.25 doesn't do the Oilers any favors, but lets not kid ourselves, 30 other teams would love to be dealing with a 13.25M Connor McDavid problem.
It's absolutely fair contract, but it is at the very least very satisfying to see after so many Oilers fans were mocking people who said Connor wouldn't sign for anything close to the desired $9.7 million AAV.
Ashasx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2017, 08:30 AM   #51
Textcritic
Acerbic Cyberbully

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jacks View Post
If true that is a fantastic contract and plenty of teams would give up 4 first rounders to sign it. I like bashing the oilers as much as anybody but c'mon now. He was going to make at least 12M, paying McNugget an extra mil or two isn't going to handcuff the team, overpaying guys like RNH, Russell, Lucic, etc are what will put them in cap hell.
I cannot speak for everyone, but my derision is reserved for the multitudes of Oilers fans who were convinced that McDavid's cap-hit would come in under $10 m, and who are now freaking out about what the rest of us knew was coming months ago. It feels good.

Quote:
Originally Posted by woob
"...harem warfare? like all your wives dressup and go paintballing?"
"The Lying Pen of Scribes" Ancient Manuscript Forgeries Project

Last edited by Textcritic; 06-28-2017 at 08:35 AM.
Textcritic is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Textcritic For This Useful Post:
Old 06-28-2017, 08:31 AM   #52
SuperMatt18
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ashasx View Post
If the cap doesn't keep going up, the best chance for the Oilers to win the Cup is probably next season.
That's been clear since the day McDavid was drafted IMO - really the shot was probably last season when they had the league MVP and another ppg center on their ELCs. They needed to go all in while him, Draisaitl, & Nurse were on their ELCs, it's why a lot of the smarter members of that fanbase were mad when Chiarelli didn't try to add more at the deadline.

Looking at their contract situations it's not that pretty. Really the only "bad" cap they have expiring that they don't have to replace will be Fayne/Pouliot ($7.625M) and that doesn't even cover just the raises for McDavid/Draisaitl.

2017 Offseason:

Draisaitl - RFA

2018 Offseason:

RFAs
-McDavid
-Strome
-Caggiula
-Slepyshev
-Benning
-Nurse

UFAs
-Letestu
-Maroon
-Fayne

2019 Offseason

RFAs
-Puljujarvi
-Kharia

UFAs
-Talbot
-Pouliot

They really need Yamamoto, Puljujarvi, & Benson to at least become decent NHLers to be able to make this work. Plus they probably have to try to shed at least one of RNH, Lucic, Sekera, or Russells contracts at some point.

Last edited by SuperMatt18; 06-28-2017 at 08:37 AM.
SuperMatt18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2017, 08:32 AM   #53
Weitz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Pierre LeBrun ✔ @PierreVLeBrun
McDavid's agent Jeff Jackson says both sides still working on the extension, "not done yet," Jackson said while not commenting further
Weitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2017, 08:34 AM   #54
TurdFerguson
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ashasx View Post
It's absolutely fair contract, but it is at the very least very satisfying to see after so many Oilers fans were mocking people who said Connor would sign for anything close to the desired $9.7 million AAV.
Totally agree. I don't understand why some people expected McDavid to give the Oilers a break. He's only been there 2 years, it's not his hometown, any they have not won anything. The only incentive to take less is to help the Oilers have the money to build a more complete team, which you see some players do, but typically not on the 1st money contract. If i was going to be marooned in Edmonton you better believe I'm getting paid for it.
Old 06-28-2017, 08:39 AM   #55
Matata
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

I wouldn't mind that contract on the flames roster, but they will live and die by McDavid, he's almost 1/5 of their team now. Lose him for 20 games and their season could be toast, every game he misses in a playoff series will be a nail biter.
Matata is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2017, 08:40 AM   #56
icecube
In the Sin Bin

Exp:

If they get him for 8 years that's a no brainer. He can make a scrub a first liner.
icecube is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2017, 08:41 AM   #57
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by habernac View Post
LOL, my best pal is a big Oiler fan. "Connor won't cripple the team with a big money deal, he'll take $9 million a season." No he won't.
Maybe Connor knows what the rest of us know, that last season was a miracle and to take his money.

Besides, he has nothing to worry about, regardless of how much they get paid Star Players can always still move. So get paid.

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
Locke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2017, 08:43 AM   #58
Jordan!
Jordan!

Exp:

Worth every penny of that, if true
Jordan! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2017, 08:43 AM   #59
MisterJoji
Franchise Player

Exp:

This just enforces the fact that Charelli is a piss poor negotiator. I mean you couldn't talk McDavid and his camp down from 13.5? I realize he just won a bunch of awards and is the 2nd coming but could he not point out the fact that if McDavid wants to be on a great team he needs to have some cap flexibility. I have no doubt in my mind that Treliving would've been able to negotiate this better. He kept Johnny, Mony, and Hamilton all below the Gio cap.

But hey, when your handing out 4 million to Russell and 6 million to Lucic how do you try and talk McDavid into < 13.5?

Charelli's gonna have this team in cap hell in 2 years easy.
Old 06-28-2017, 08:43 AM   #60
SOMBRI2
First Line Centre

Exp:

I think 5 million of that contract will contribute to cloning more McDavids.

Sent from my SM-G935W8 using Tapatalk
SOMBRI2 is offline   Reply With Quote