Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 03-26-2020, 09:01 AM   #41
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainCrunch View Post
Woke up this morning, there's not much new out there,

Haven't heard back from anyone in terms of applications, and I know I have to be patient, that companies aren't likely doing much resume reviews right now.

Just depressing, maybe I'll take the day off.

I hate my life so much right now.
You might benefit from just taking a step back from the job search right now and accepting it will be EI for a bit. The gap in employment history will be easily explainable in the future. Finding a job right now is going to be a needle in a haystack. It's either that, or apply at the grocery stores or other industries needing help. Obviously not ideal, and I'd get why you wouldn't.

Maybe use the time to brush up on some skills/training. I just see the impossible task of hunting for a job right now probably isn't great for mental health.
Fuzz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2020, 09:04 AM   #42
Weitz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by nik- View Post
Capt, I know it's likely not what you want to hear, and it doesn't help to pay bills, but you need to relax. Look at the market you're trying to apply to right now. Even if there's a posting, it likely posting was posted before all this #### hit the fan. The people in HR departments might not even remember it's out there because they're so loaded with other things. You're going to get less call backs now than normal. Don't take it too hard, it's going to take longer this time and it's nothing to do with you.
I agree with this. I also know of one large company that has a lot of postings right now that has suspended interviews and hiring for the time being, as everyone is home.
Weitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2020, 09:17 AM   #43
Wormius
Franchise Player

Exp:

It really sounds like there a ton of local volunteer opportunities, and that might look even better to future prospective employers.
Wormius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2020, 10:13 AM   #44
sec304
First Line Centre

Exp:

I do welding inspection and non-destructive testing, I work for a company that's not very busy so I was working part time at best and struggling with money. I had an interview at a new company on March 16th but obviously that was cancelled (they never even called me back). I am day 11 of quarantine after coming back from the states. After this is over I am looking to do anything to make some money and pay some bills. My wife still has her job and is working from home but her company is barely afloat. If she loses her job we are f-ed.

Let me know if anyone is looking for help. My previous career was in Oil & Gas accounting and financial systems (up until 2015)

Thanks
sec304 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2020, 10:43 AM   #45
wookster
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Cant stress enough that if you are in the IT field to register with the head hunter companies. They have access to so many more opportunities that you will just looking on job sites. Contact them, interview well with them and they will do the job hunting work for you. I realize that they take a cut but its better than no paycheck or EI. When the market picks up or you find an opportunity on your own, you can always switch later.

Also, my wife is a manager for recruitment for a large company here in town and has been a recruiter for companies going on 15 years now, she has some advice regarding resumes. Always provide a cover letter unless asked not to, in the cover letter as well as the resume, cover as many of the requirements of the job description that you can using the exact wordage of the job posting. Reasoning behind that is that if the company is more than a handful of people in size they likely use software to shortlist their candidates. Its done automatically scanning for those key words and if you don't have them in your resume/cover letter it will get rejected and not even make it to a set of human eyes, unless you have a referral of course, these are always best. This is why blanket resume's don't work well and each one should be tailored to the job your applying for.

Anyways, just my two cents, good luck to everyone up there, keep your spirits up and stay safe.
wookster is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to wookster For This Useful Post:
Old 03-26-2020, 11:49 AM   #46
bob-loblaw
First Line Centre

Exp:

After working at the same company for over 20 years, I received a temporary layoff notice. It's definitely a weird feeling.

It's also kind of odd that after about five years of the owners making decisions that should put us out of business, that a pandemic finally rolls around that could finish it off for them.
bob-loblaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2020, 02:53 PM   #47
Weirdness
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

I'm in a similar situation to others here. Left my job in June last year to take some time off, go back to "school" (web development bootcamp lol ) and now can't find any work. I don't qualify for EI, and now I'm faced with the real possibility of cashing out my meagre RSPs (which are falling by the day) just to keep up with rent, bills, student loan, etc. Savings are still keeping me afloat for now, but I've got maybe a month tops. Competition in my industry was already fierce before the pandemic, now it feels impossible.

^%$#!
The Following User Says Thank You to Weirdness For This Useful Post:
Old 03-26-2020, 04:23 PM   #48
Yamer
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weirdness View Post
I'm in a similar situation to others here. Left my job in June last year to take some time off, go back to "school" (web development bootcamp lol ) and now can't find any work. I don't qualify for EI, and now I'm faced with the real possibility of cashing out my meagre RSPs (which are falling by the day) just to keep up with rent, bills, student loan, etc. Savings are still keeping me afloat for now, but I've got maybe a month tops. Competition in my industry was already fierce before the pandemic, now it feels impossible.

^%$#!
Same boat (sorta). It's been almost impossible to even receive interviews before the pandemic. Now it's absolute crickets, including minimum wage unskilled positions.

I'll be very disappointed if the government does not roll out a support package for unemployed people that simply cannot get a job due to COVID-19.

"I see as much misery out of them moving to justify theirselves as them that set out to do harm."
-Dr. Amos "Doc" Cochran
Yamer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2020, 04:31 PM   #49
ah123
First Line Centre

Exp:

Not sure this is the right place for this question. Does anyone have experience with Lighthouse Labs boot camps? Considering the data science boot camp. Couldn’t find any reviews about their program or the value of the program.

Thanks in advance
ah123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2020, 05:38 PM   #50
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

Well I did get a piece of good news as I got shortlisted on one role, I spoke to them briefly, and they had gotten a few hundred applications and I've been shortlisted to the top 10. They're going to evaluate over the next couple of days and reduce it to the top 3 and do a video interview with the idea of an offer by the end of next week.

They won't have an idea of a starting date, but want to a least get their roster filled.

Fingers crossed I hear back from them next week, but at least it tells me that my resume isn't all that bad.

Look on my Works, ye Mighty, and despair!
CaptainCrunch is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 12 Users Say Thank You to CaptainCrunch For This Useful Post:
Old 03-27-2020, 09:51 AM   #51
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

I'm taking your guys advice.

I'm taking today off, I jumped on to see if anything new sprang up that was interesting and there wasn't any thing really there. I'm going to send out some emails to placement agencies, but other then that I'm going to go for a walk. have a beer with my folks to make sure they're all right and have a long weekend.

I mean in terms of stats.

I sent out 32 resumes this week (a little short of the 40 I wanted to do)

Shortlisted 1 to top 10, hopefully I get to interview stage.
eliminated on 3

So that leaves 28 that I'm waiting for answers on.

Not a bad first week in a crisis.

I'm set to receive my final pay and ROE next week so I'm monetarily in good shape for a couple of months. I just have to figure out how I'm going to get my ROE into the hands of Services Canada since usually you have to physically drop them off.

My UI application was done early this week (Monday).

I think I've done what I can do on the first week, and hopefully some new positions pop up for next week.

That's all.

The Following User Says Thank You to CaptainCrunch For This Useful Post:
Old 03-27-2020, 01:49 PM   #52
Ashasx
Franchise Player

Exp:

I guarantee you've done more than anyone else in your position. You'll find your place, Cap.
Ashasx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2020, 01:49 PM   #53
indes
First Line Centre

Exp:

Those are some pretty good results for the times.

I'm in month 3 of my job hunt and got shortlisted twice but unfortunately didn't get either position.

With oil crashing and the pandemic I'm having a seriously hard time being optimistic.

I threw out another 6 applications in the last 3 days, fingers crossed I guess.

I guess it's ride EI until bankruptcy for this guy :shrug:
indes is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to indes For This Useful Post:
Old 03-28-2020, 01:07 PM   #54
Azure
Had an idea!

Exp:

Lots of companies not really sure how bad it will get.

1 month? 2? 3?

Hard to decide how to look at hiring.
Azure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2020, 01:09 PM   #55
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Azure View Post
Lots of companies not really sure how bad it will get.

1 month? 2? 3?

Hard to decide how to look at hiring.
Yeah, right now everyone is focused on keeping their heads down and surviving.

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
Locke is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2020, 02:42 PM   #56
_Q_
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ah123 View Post
Not sure this is the right place for this question. Does anyone have experience with Lighthouse Labs boot camps? Considering the data science boot camp. Couldn’t find any reviews about their program or the value of the program.

Thanks in advance
Just saw this... hopefully it's not too late for you.

I'm currently finishing up the web developer boot camp with Lighthouse Labs. I've had my qualms with portions of it, but over-all it has been decent. It is a ton of work, which I wouldn't even attempt to complete in a 100% online experience, which is where they are going now with COVID-19.

If getting a job is important to you, pretty much everyone from the previous cohort got a job within 6 weeks and the rest got hired within 3 months. Now with coronavirus, I'm not sure if my cohort will fall through the cracks so to speak, which is disheartening since the program is not cheap.

Here's the thing, there are no reviews on the data science boot camp because it's going to be brand new. If you have any specific questions, please feel free to PM me.
_Q_ is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to _Q_ For This Useful Post:
Old 03-30-2020, 11:16 AM   #57
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

Just wanted to pop in the keep the discussion going. I took the weekend off and didn't look at a single email after Friday at about 2. I think its important that we think about our mental states as we go through this process.

I did log in this morning, not much activity over the weekend. I did get rejected on one role. That mean's I've been outright rejected by 4, and have 1 that I'm waiting on for a short list to interview, I don't know if I'm super optimistic on it, but hopefully it happens.

I did apply for 5 new roles today. do that brings me to nearly 40 applications in the last week. I know I have to be patient, I also know that things are going to by hyper competitive. Things that I learned today

1) Looking at Indeed and linked in you can see how many people are applying for each role. There are some roles where 50,000 people have looked at roles. Its crazy out there.

2) Don't be afraid to stretch, I'm not talking about lying to yourself about qualifications at all. But understanding their requirements and matching to your experience, and if you're lacking in one area it doesn't hurt to send in your resume, to at least get it in their database for future roles.
3) If you look at a role and go meh, it doesn't hurt to apply, if you have more interest you have more opportunity. I've said that its better to have a few people interested in you because the power switches to you in terms of negotiations and first right of refusal.

Other things I've done.

1) I originally wanted to get back into IT and technical solutions Business development or management, I wasn't sure if I wanted to get back into recruiting and HR. But I've decided that I should at least explore the full gamut of my experience, though I have a lot of experience on the IT Solutions technical side, I do have almost 5 years of recruiting experience, so its ok to at least submit and see what's out there.
2) I put in a couple of hours today or a bit more, I've decided that is going to be the amount of time of concentrated searching, I've found some other things to do with my time.

I know its going to take time for all of these organizations to decide on their position and hiring needs because of the virus so I have to give them and me a break on it. At least I'm getting my negotiated severance and ROE this week so I can move to the next steps on EI.

That's it that's all.

Old 03-30-2020, 01:33 PM   #58
emti
Backup Goalie

Exp:

Some of you have mentioned working with headhunters or recruiters. I have no experience with that in the past and wondered if any of you have had any positive experiences with any agency in specific or certain person? I would imagine these agencies aren't cranking out roles like they usually do due to the world circumstances currently but figured it would be another tool to utilize. Any input would be greatly appreciated!
emti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2020, 01:54 PM   #59
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by emti View Post
Some of you have mentioned working with headhunters or recruiters. I have no experience with that in the past and wondered if any of you have had any positive experiences with any agency in specific or certain person? I would imagine these agencies aren't cranking out roles like they usually do due to the world circumstances currently but figured it would be another tool to utilize. Any input would be greatly appreciated!

It really does depend on the type of job you're looking for. There are quite a few agencies that specialize in different types of hiring. If you can give us an idea we can recommend.

Old 03-30-2020, 06:39 PM   #60
Red Potato Standing By
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Well I got informed today that I am getting temporarily laid off. Though it is for three months it may get extended.... only good thing I guess is I get to move back in with my family. ( I live in Fort Nelson but had to transfer down to Grande Prairie a couple months ago, family stayed as we didn’t want to them to have to switch schools)... not sure what I am going to do there ain’t no work in Fort Nelson and by the sounds of it not like there is work elsewhere for now anyways.( not that I would be able to sell my house anyways).hopefully this turns around or not sure what I am going to do. Haven’t had to do a resume in 27 years don’t even remember how to do them anymore. Guess I will have time to learn, ( as well as trying to figure out how to apply for EI). Sorry for the rambling post
Red Potato Standing By is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Red Potato Standing By For This Useful Post: