Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-14-2020, 06:27 PM   #1501
Redliner
Franchise Player

Exp:

Wow... I think the last time I opened this thread was 2011. Lots to catch up on since then.

If anyone is looking for something super cool and unique, (and somewhat local) check out www.novowatch.com. They're unfortunately out of my price range personally, but I recently had them make some watches for a project with my employer and they are absolutely spectacular. The whole handmade artisan feel is a different vibe from a precision upscale watch like a Rolex, but they're super high quality and some of the personalization options are amazing. The movement is an ETA, similar to what's in an Omega, Tag, Oris, or Sinn.

"There will be a short outage tonight sometime between 11:00PM and 1:00AM as network upgrades are performed. Please do not panic and overthrow society. Thank you."

Last edited by Redliner; 04-14-2020 at 06:30 PM.
Redliner is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Redliner For This Useful Post:
Old 04-14-2020, 07:32 PM   #1502
Enoch Root
Franchise Player

Exp:

thank you Redliner - I just found my next watch!
Enoch Root is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2020, 09:21 AM   #1503
Table 5
Franchise Player

Exp:

While not personally my aesthetic-style, it's really cool to see someone doing something like that locally.
Table 5 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Table 5 For This Useful Post:
Old 04-15-2020, 04:54 PM   #1504
Winsor_Pilates
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by TorqueDog View Post
Yeah I've got a-...... oh. Well there goes my suggestion. I have a WOLF Roadster 2.7 winder (double winder with storage) that I snagged off of Overstock.com a few years ago to replace an eBay winder I had bought.

If you want something that'll handle at least four watches, check eBay and look for something on there. I had one that handled eight automatics at once and it worked great (even auto-reversed) but the fit and finish wasn't really that good. They're all made in China. As long as the electronics work, though, that's really what matters. I ended up giving it to my dad after I reduced my collection size and bought the Roadster 2.7 winder.
I looked up the Roadster, very nice.
Any major advantage to the expensive ones? or reason to avoid the $500-$600 ones you find on Amazon etc.
Do they do anything different?
Winsor_Pilates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2020, 06:32 PM   #1505
jayswin
Celebrated Square Root Day

Exp:

https://www.mytruwood.com/

I'm kind of torn on these truwood watches. I kind of like the idea, but they seem like they may look cooler on the internet than actually wearing it with anything.
jayswin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2020, 08:00 PM   #1506
Dion
Not a casual user

Exp:

Old 04-16-2020, 02:47 AM   #1507
DoubleF
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redliner View Post
Wow... I think the last time I opened this thread was 2011. Lots to catch up on since then.

If anyone is looking for something super cool and unique, (and somewhat local) check out www.novowatch.com. They're unfortunately out of my price range personally, but I recently had them make some watches for a project with my employer and they are absolutely spectacular. The whole handmade artisan feel is a different vibe from a precision upscale watch like a Rolex, but they're super high quality and some of the personalization options are amazing. The movement is an ETA, similar to what's in an Omega, Tag, Oris, or Sinn.

I've seen one of these in person. They're really different. I saw a cosplayer wearing one and chatted him up about it.

Personally and subjectively, the vibe of these are kinda more steam punk and pioneer than artisan refined. It even says on their website they're beautifully imperfect = perfect. I agree with the previous comments about the concept being neat though. While the whole industrial ish and imperfect flair isn't my thing, the fact you can customize it with a piece of your own material with history is definitely cool.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jayswin View Post

I'm kind of torn on these truwood watches. I kind of like the idea, but they seem like they may look cooler on the internet than actually wearing it with anything.
Wood/bamboo watches are pretty light weight, but durability isn't great. It's essentially similar properties of a watch made of ceramic but not even close to the same level of material strength. Something as simple as humidity imbalances can destroy these. The finishing they put on the wood should allow for it to last for quite a few years minimum though.

Most of the ones I've seen I'd say they're more fashion bracelet than watch.
DoubleF is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to DoubleF For This Useful Post:
Old 04-17-2020, 01:34 PM   #1508
TorqueDog
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by jayswin View Post

I've seen and handled a bunch of these in person, friends and colleagues have purchased them. You're pretty bang-on with your guess here.

I found they felt cheap and I couldn't get into the look of them either. They wear really, really light, and while some people like that, I couldn't get over how much it felt like I was wearing a toy. The lacquer they use on some of them for that glossy finish makes those parts of watch look and feel more like faux plastic woodgrain.

Adding on to what DoubleF said about durability and humidity, most of these watches are rated 'splash-proof', and the rest generally don't go beyond 3 ATM of water-resistance ('rain-proof'). There are a lot of high-end luxury brand watches that are only splash or rain-proof too, but that's a completely different thing; you would expect to baby a Ferrari, but imagine being expected to do the same thing with a Toyota Yaris. It looks like rain, better put the Yaris into the garage and throw on the car cover.

Ultimately it depends on your personal tastes and if you are willing to pay for it. I don't see these as a particularly good buy, myself, and I would sooner pick-up a comparably priced Seiko, Orient, or Bulova, and you wouldn't feel nearly as silly wearing it with anything more dressy than jeans and a T-shirt.
TorqueDog is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to TorqueDog For This Useful Post:
Old 05-03-2020, 07:28 AM   #1509
shane_c
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Thought I would give a quick update. My Seiko 5 SNK809 arrived about two weeks ago and I really like it. At first it felt quite heavy given I've had a very light Casio Illuminator on my watch the last few years, but now I hardly notice it.

I went with the metal band which has worked out well but at some point I might replace it with a black leather strap. The metal band doesn't grip my arm hair like I thought it would so that's good. The watch seems to keep the time well and I haven't had to adjust it yet.

The one thing I need to remind myself though is to put it on once in a while on the weekends so that it keeps itself wound. Typically I wouldn't wear a watch on evenings and weekends but have been throwing it on for an hour or so on the weekend and it hasn't stopped yet.

shane_c is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to shane_c For This Useful Post:
Old 06-01-2020, 12:04 PM   #1510
VladtheImpaler
Franchise Player

Exp:

I seem to recall you guys liked Seiko quite a bit. I like the look of this one:

https://www.thebay.com/product/seiko...45_color=Brown

Any comments?

Please check out http://forum.calgarypuck.com/showthr...94#post3726494

VladtheImpaler is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to VladtheImpaler For This Useful Post:
Old 06-01-2020, 07:49 PM   #1511
Ashasx
Franchise Player

Exp:

The Presage is a favourite of almost any Seiko fan. It is gorgeous in person.

Spoiler!

do it.
Ashasx is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Ashasx For This Useful Post:
Old 06-02-2020, 10:04 AM   #1512
DoubleF
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by VladtheImpaler View Post
I seem to recall you guys liked Seiko quite a bit. I like the look of this one:

https://www.thebay.com/product/seiko...45_color=Brown

Any comments?
IMO, from a distance, it is simple and sensible. From a conversational distance there is a quiet elegance about it. In person and in your hands, there's just all these tiny elaborate details that get you excited for the watch that perhaps you wish were more prominent and noticeable from a distance.

I don't think you can go wrong with a Presage. An excellent choice for a dress watch. I guess some of the complaints about it (similar to the cocktail time) is that it's inexplicably boring from a distance (especially the strap). It's simplicity done so well it borders elegance, but doesn't exude it. If you look really, really closely at the watch, there's just these really freaking tiny details that stick out and get you excited about the watch. It is a fantastic watch that downplays how amazing it is. Those that are interested in watches or know a little bit about them might spot it from across the room though. Even those who own presages and cocktail time can't help but ask to hold the watch and be reminded of the amazing level of microscopic craftsmanship this watch has... But perhaps that is it's downfall. It's such an embodiment of Japan that it's practically viewed the same way. Something so deeply modest and mundane but so quietly extraordinary. It's really hard to describe. If you can find a way to look at a cocktail time/presage in person, you might get a better idea of what I mean.

It's definitely an excellent piece to have in a collection. However, if this piece isn't your crown jewel, it might not get a lot of regular use (which for me kinda hurts my heart). It's far to elegant to be a daily driver IMO, but not necessarily showy enough to supplant a superior crown jewel. I wore the Cocktail time relatively regularly and consistently for years for nights out, weddings, company events etc. Only to see it collect dust when it was supplanted as my crown jewel by a single watch. I still only have that one watch above the Cocktail time and I have to force myself to give it a day in the sun from time to time. The cocktail time is still always impressive when I pick it up, but it is constantly an also ran to my JLM MCM Memovox for events/casual hang outs with friends and it also definitely doesn't meet the criteria as a casual nor beater watch (other dress watches and dive watches).

It even bugs me that the Orient Sun and Moon that I own that I would say is a lower tier than the cocktail time gets a little more time in the sun because it's a little flashier rather than quietly elegant. Again, the Cocktail time/Presage is a ridiculously amazing watch, but it will shine the best in a more intentional watch collection rather than a deep one. It isn't just higher end watches that will cause it to collect dust, even lower end daily drivers will do the same because it's still nice enough that you kinda want to protect it or not "wear it out" so to speak (double entendre).

But fck! I cannot end this post without saying again how awesome this watch is. I am meeting friends tonight at a park for a socially distant chat and I am for sure busting out the Cocktail time and giving it a day in the sun for sure!

Last edited by DoubleF; 06-02-2020 at 10:08 AM.
Old 06-02-2020, 10:33 AM   #1513
DoubleF
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by shane_c View Post
Thought I would give a quick update. My Seiko 5 SNK809 arrived about two weeks ago and I really like it. At first it felt quite heavy given I've had a very light Casio Illuminator on my watch the last few years, but now I hardly notice it.

I went with the metal band which has worked out well but at some point I might replace it with a black leather strap. The metal band doesn't grip my arm hair like I thought it would so that's good. The watch seems to keep the time well and I haven't had to adjust it yet.

The one thing I need to remind myself though is to put it on once in a while on the weekends so that it keeps itself wound. Typically I wouldn't wear a watch on evenings and weekends but have been throwing it on for an hour or so on the weekend and it hasn't stopped yet.
How are you enjoying the SNK809 now that you've had more time to wear it regularly? (I love that model number, always makes me think of classic Japanese fighting games)

Although I don't know if this will work for you, one of the things you can do if you don't really want to wear it on weekends is to keep it by your bathroom mirror on necklace/bracelet stand or whatnot and in the morning/evening give it a gentle shake for 10-20 seconds to top it up for the day. That's what I do. However, I might be different because I wear my watch on my dominant hand. As such my watch is perhaps wound significantly more than if I were to wear my watch on my non-dominant hand. I don't know why I do this. Many complain that the watch gets in the way, but for me it just feels far more natural to have it on my dominant hand or not at all.

Again, that Seiko 5 is pretty awesome. Don't look down on it. It's not my cup of tea because it's too small and I prefer boat anchors or dress watches, but my dad owns exactly 4 watches and that Seiko 5 in black is one of them. It's his second favourite watch. Hilariously, he accidentally got a tiny bit of diluted bleach on it years ago while cleaning and it gave it a surprisingly awesome patina that kept turning heads of watch collectors.

He owns some other Seiko sports watch that's way too heavy for him, a classic Tudor and a Rolex. He loved that Seiko 5 over the Tudor and Seiko Sport before he replaced it with a Rolex to celebrate a mile stone.
Old 06-02-2020, 10:55 AM   #1514
DoubleF
Franchise Player

Exp:

On a different note, I have a conundrum. On a whim I nabbed a Citizen Ecodrive Boba Fett Special edition. It's one of the most unique watch color/design combos I've ever seen from Citizen (more so than the other Star Wars LE watches in that series which are just minor aesthetic tweaks of existing Citizen watch lines IMO).

https://www.amazon.ca/gp/product/B07...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

It's a really neat watch in person, but my wife thinks it looks too military (which I think it has done a fantastic job in doing if it is to represent Boba Fett). But there's two main things that bug me about it.

1. It's too small. It's rated at 42mm but it feels like it's closer to the typical 38mm cases.
2. Non-functioning bezel which makes it seem cheap.
3. Kinda simplistic for what I generally expect of Citizen.

I really like the leather strap and the colors. But the things that bug me about it are really borderline deal breaker. What should I do with this thing?

- Should I keep this and try to force it into my regular watch rotation? (Kinda want to do this because I have this weird desire for a really green watch... but it's borderline deal breaker)

- Should I return it? (Wife suggests this if I don't keep it as a fathers day present. I still have 2 weeks to decide)

- Should I throw it into a dark corner somewhere and hope that it increases in value a few years down the road before I sell it? (Kinda want to do this, but watches are meant to be worn, not collect dust and while I like Star Wars, I'm no super fan)

I almost feel like it makes more sense to sell it at reasonable price to someone who will really love this watch either as a collection piece or daily driver.

Dammit, it's something I'm sure I would have loved in my late teens early 20s, but it is really out of place with where I am at right now. There's so much that's awesome about it, and so many things that annoy me in a snooty sort of way because of the watches in my collection.

Ugh.
Old 06-02-2020, 11:02 AM   #1515
VladtheImpaler
Franchise Player

Exp:

Thanks for that. Now I just have to decide between the green face Presage (which I would get a black band for) or the champagne Cocktail Time. First world problems. And should I risk buying from the US or Japan to save a $100...

Old 06-02-2020, 11:28 AM   #1516
Lumby Lager
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

Looking for opinions on watch winder boxes, I don’t wear my automatic daily and I know it is a small problem but setting and manually winding it on my day’s off is a pain sometimes. Thinking about getting one that holds two watches.

Thanks for any suggestions!
Lumby Lager is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2020, 11:42 AM   #1517
DoubleF
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Thanks for that. Now I just have to decide between the green face Presage (which I would get a black band for) or the champagne Cocktail Time. First world problems. And should I risk buying from the US or Japan to save a $100...
https://www.amazon.ca/PRESAGE-Automa.../dp/B07HQWW7RF

https://www.amazon.ca/PRESAGE-Mockin...1118396&sr=8-1

Are you debating these two? I guess I personally would get it through Japan. It's a silly additional facet about the watch you can say it came direct from Japan vs through someone in the US.

Champagne vs Green comes down to the following ideas IMO. Bold vs subtle. The champagne will look quietly nice. If you can rock a green watch, that's pretty darn bold IMO. I also feel that the way the light will hit the lume on the green will be significantly less muted than on the OG cocktail time and champagne which seemed almost more like visual tricks than beautiful deep hues.

About the black band idea. A you going for a look like this?

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Presage-Coc...-/333372419641

AFAIK, the green presage comes with a deep brown strap which might actually kinda pass off as dark enough from a casual glance. Give that strap a try before replacing it. Although, some feel the original smooth leather straps on the Cocktail/Presage are downright offensive in how it stifles the elegance of the watch. If you do replace the strap, I highly suggest looking in textured leather. I would be worried that the textured look of a strap would mess up the balance, but the champagne presage I linked makes me optimistic it would actually work well.

The original strap is a deployant clasp strap which is awesome as hell. IMO don't downgrade from that facet with a replacement strap.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lumby Lager View Post
Looking for opinions on watch winder boxes, I don’t wear my automatic daily and I know it is a small problem but setting and manually winding it on my day’s off is a pain sometimes. Thinking about getting one that holds two watches.

Thanks for any suggestions!
I don't use these myself...

I can't imagine there being too many issues with a well reviewed winder box on Amazon. The main concern I might have is a design that allows a watch to accidentally fall out, or a box with an overly weak motor, but what are the odds of that, especially in a well reviewed box?

These boxes aren't cheap though. You're probably looking at $90+ for 2 watches.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to DoubleF For This Useful Post:
Old 06-02-2020, 12:41 PM   #1518
VladtheImpaler
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoubleF View Post
https://www.amazon.ca/PRESAGE-Automa.../dp/B07HQWW7RF

https://www.amazon.ca/PRESAGE-Mockin...1118396&sr=8-1

Are you debating these two? I guess I personally would get it through Japan. It's a silly additional facet about the watch you can say it came direct from Japan vs through someone in the US.

Champagne vs Green comes down to the following ideas IMO. Bold vs subtle. The champagne will look quietly nice. If you can rock a green watch, that's pretty darn bold IMO. I also feel that the way the light will hit the lume on the green will be significantly less muted than on the OG cocktail time and champagne which seemed almost more like visual tricks than beautiful deep hues.

About the black band idea. A you going for a look like this?

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Presage-Coc...-/333372419641

AFAIK, the green presage comes with a deep brown strap which might actually kinda pass off as dark enough from a casual glance. Give that strap a try before replacing it. Although, some feel the original smooth leather straps on the Cocktail/Presage are downright offensive in how it stifles the elegance of the watch. If you do replace the strap, I highly suggest looking in textured leather. I would be worried that the textured look of a strap would mess up the balance, but the champagne presage I linked makes me optimistic it would actually work well.

The original strap is a deployant clasp strap which is awesome as hell. IMO don't downgrade from that facet with a replacement strap.
Thanks a lot - precisely the two I was looking at. I am still debating with myself. That green does not seem unduly bold and appears fairly subtle and classy enough. I guess I just have to analyze my matching wardrobe options and decide on that basis.

Old 06-02-2020, 03:13 PM   #1519
shane_c
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoubleF View Post
How are you enjoying the SNK809 now that you've had more time to wear it regularly? (I love that model number, always makes me think of classic Japanese fighting games)

Although I don't know if this will work for you, one of the things you can do if you don't really want to wear it on weekends is to keep it by your bathroom mirror on necklace/bracelet stand or whatnot and in the morning/evening give it a gentle shake for 10-20 seconds to top it up for the day. That's what I do. However, I might be different because I wear my watch on my dominant hand. As such my watch is perhaps wound significantly more than if I were to wear my watch on my non-dominant hand. I don't know why I do this. Many complain that the watch gets in the way, but for me it just feels far more natural to have it on my dominant hand or not at all.

Again, that Seiko 5 is pretty awesome. Don't look down on it. It's not my cup of tea because it's too small and I prefer boat anchors or dress watches, but my dad owns exactly 4 watches and that Seiko 5 in black is one of them. It's his second favourite watch. Hilariously, he accidentally got a tiny bit of diluted bleach on it years ago while cleaning and it gave it a surprisingly awesome patina that kept turning heads of watch collectors.

He owns some other Seiko sports watch that's way too heavy for him, a classic Tudor and a Rolex. He loved that Seiko 5 over the Tudor and Seiko Sport before he replaced it with a Rolex to celebrate a mile stone.
I'm totally used to the weight of it now and hardly notice I have it on. It's the perfect size for me because I don't care too much for the watches with a giant face. They're nice to look at but for me I'd rather this size.

Thanks for the tip about shaking it. I'll give it a try. It has stopped twice on me now, usually late on a Sunday, but it's not too bad because it's very easy to re-adjust the day/date/time and continue on with my day.

Very happy with the purchase and am still using the metal strap. Maybe once shipping gets back to normal I'll order a leather strap.

shane_c is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to shane_c For This Useful Post:
Old 06-02-2020, 04:22 PM   #1520
DoubleF
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Thanks a lot - precisely the two I was looking at. I am still debating with myself. That green does not seem unduly bold and appears fairly subtle and classy enough. I guess I just have to analyze my matching wardrobe options and decide on that basis.
Sorry, poor wording. I don't mean bold in a crazy sense. I meant it sticks out more vs the other Presage option.

The Mockingbird Presage is still a relatively reserved styled watch in general. The darker look will blend in normally and look like any mundane dress watch. It's when the light hits it nicely and there's that flash of emerald where it's all "Hello good morning!" it's more bold than the muted champagne/blue flash vs stainless steel that feels more like a trick of the light. Green isn't common and it wouldn't be noted as light trickery so IMO it would probably draw you in. It doesn't just kinda blends in with other watches or gets soaked up with the clothing or something. You notice it.

Perhaps my personal preference, but green dial watches will often turn my head as it's not as common as other colors.