Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 12-11-2018, 10:08 AM   #1
TheRealPepman
Scoring Winger

Exp:
Default Sportsnet: Bob Cole’s final HNIC game will be Maple Leafs vs. Canadiens

https://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/nhl/...-vs-canadiens/

What a career. I'll kind of miss him. Bet some of you do, too, eh?

Listed below are all of the games Bob Cole has called for the 2018-19 season:
Quote:
Original 10:
10/6 - MTL at PIT
10/13 - PIT at MTL
10/20 - MTL at OTT
10/27 - PIT at VAN
11/3 - CHI at CGY
11/10 - OFF
11/17 - OFF
11/24 - BOS at MTL
12/1 - NYR at MTL
12/9 (Sunday) - CGY at EDM
12/15 - OTT at MTL
12/22 - NYR at TOR
Quote:
Six Additional Games:
1/5 - NSH at MTL
2/6 (Wednesday) - OTT at TOR
3/9 - OTT at BOS
3/16 - CHI at MTL
3/30 - MTL at WPG
4/6 - TOR at MTL
Too many Habs games, eh? I got a feeling we'll get Hughson for the final regular season game a.k.a the Battle of Alberta.
TheRealPepman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2018, 10:13 AM   #2
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Of course it is.

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
Locke is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Locke For This Useful Post:
Old 12-11-2018, 10:18 AM   #3
MolsonInBothHands
First Line Centre

Exp:

I have a bad feeling the resulting shuffle, when Bob FINALLY retires, we as Flames fans are going to lose Rick Ball as our regional guy. We always seem to get the bottom of the barrel guys on HNIC broadcasts, like Randorf, DeBrusk, who's Oiler stink would bleed through after soaking them in bleach for the entire week.

Flames fans deserve better.
Old 12-11-2018, 10:20 AM   #4
Scroopy Noopers
Pent-up

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by MolsonInBothHands View Post
I have a bad feeling the resulting shuffle, when Bob FINALLY retires, we as Flames fans are going to lose Rick Ball as our regional guy. We always seem to get the bottom of the barrel guys on HNIC broadcasts, like Randorf, DeBrusk, who's Oiler stink would bleed through after soaking them in bleach for the entire week.

Flames fans deserve better.
Shuffle? Cole is only calling 16 games this season.
Scroopy Noopers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2018, 10:21 AM   #5
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Locke View Post
Of course it is.
Well it does make sense seeing those are the Canadian teams in the league when he started broadcasting. Fantastic career and amazing he can still call games at 85.
Erick Estrada is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Erick Estrada For This Useful Post:
Old 12-11-2018, 10:25 AM   #6
dash_pinched
Franchise Player

Exp:

Two of my favourite Bob Cole calls:

dash_pinched is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to dash_pinched For This Useful Post:
Old 12-11-2018, 10:27 AM   #7
MolsonInBothHands
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scroopy Noopers View Post
Shuffle? Cole is only calling 16 games this season.
It seems like a lot more.

Regardless, on HNIC nights, Rick Ball goes to cover a Chicago game, we get the Oiler's groupies. I hope it's not foreshadowing. Rick Ball is good enough to warrant a promotion to cover larger markets for sure, but does that mean we have to endure calls of "Sam Monahan" and the never ending dribble about "The Experience of Being in McDysentry's Presence"?
Old 12-11-2018, 10:29 AM   #8
Otto-matic
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by MolsonInBothHands View Post
It seems like a lot more.

Regardless, on HNIC nights, Rick Ball goes to cover a Chicago game, we get the Oiler's groupies. I hope it's not foreshadowing. Rick Ball is good enough to warrant a promotion to cover larger markets for sure, but does that mean we have to endure calls of "Sam Monahan" and the never ending dribble about "The Experience of Being in McDysentry's Presence"?
I think it was more getting Cole to do a Edmonton game. What better way of a sendoff then a Battle of Alberta.
Otto-matic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2018, 10:45 AM   #9
DoubleK
Franchise Player

Exp:

I'll miss him.

I've really liked this farewell tour.

Enjoy retirement Bob, you've earned it.
Old 12-11-2018, 10:48 AM   #10
Strange Brew
Franchise Player

Exp:

I will miss Bob Cole.

What I won't miss are the ridiculous negative comments about him on here.
Strange Brew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2018, 10:58 AM   #11
transplant99
Fearmongerer

Location: Wondering when # became hashtag and not a number sign.
Exp:

Yeah he is a living legend.

When he was teamed with Harry Neale, there may not have been a better pair in the booth in the history of the game.

Neale was a beauty too.

Way back when he was the coach of the Canucks and they were an awful hockey team.

He was talking to reporters after another loss and was asked what he can do to change things and his answer was classic.

"We can't win at home, we can't win on the road, so I guess we have to find somewhere else to play".
Old 12-11-2018, 10:58 AM   #12
Johnny Makarov
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Strange Brew View Post
I will miss Bob Cole.

What I won't miss are the ridiculous negative comments about him on here.
Bob Cole was great! but everyone knows he is past his time. That call last Sunday was ridiculous. I only caught the 3rd period, but if it watched it from the beginning i would definitely have muted that broadcast.

That said, I could listen to Peter Maher until he turns 100. Maher is the greatest of all time. A big FU to Sportsnet for forcing him out.
Old 12-11-2018, 11:01 AM   #13
Johnny Makarov
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by transplant99 View Post
Yeah he is a living legend.

When he was teamed with Harry Neale, there may not have been a better pair in the booth in the history of the game.

Neale was a beauty too.

Way back when he was the coach of the Canucks and they were an awful hockey team.

He was talking to reporters after another loss and was asked what he can do to change things and his answer was classic.

"We can't win at home, we can't win on the road, so I guess we have to find somewhere else to play".
Harry Neale was the best colour commentator of all time! Roger Nielsen did a lot of great things but his best was going on that great run with the Canucks and sending Neal packing to the booth!
Old 12-11-2018, 11:12 AM   #14
Buff
Franchise Player

Exp:

Bob Cole is old and not as quick as he once was. It shows in his broadcast. It is still great to hear his voice calling games though. Yes, it is time to retire but he was one of the greatest of all time. I'm not going to bitch and moan about his mistakes. I'm going to enjoy what I have while I still have it.

To those using harsh words to complain about Bob Cole's call recently, here is a comparable situation. When your grandparents or parents are up there in age, do you complain about them not doing as good as they once did? If so, is it fair to?
Buff is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Buff For This Useful Post:
Old 12-11-2018, 11:13 AM   #15
Puppet Guy
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by dash_pinched View Post
Two of my favourite Bob Cole calls:

My favourite's at 3:02:

- Surferguy
Puppet Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Puppet Guy For This Useful Post:
Old 12-11-2018, 11:15 AM   #16
GioforPM
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buff View Post
Bob Cole is old and not as quick as he once was. It shows in his broadcast. It is still great to hear his voice calling games though. Yes, it is time to retire but he was one of the greatest of all time. I'm not going to bitch and moan about his mistakes. I'm going to enjoy what I have while I still have it.

To those using harsh words to complain about Bob Cole's call recently, here is a comparable situation. When your grandparents or parents are up there in age, do you complain about them not doing as good as they once did? If so, is it fair to?
It's not quite an apt comparison. how about - if my grandpa was a really good bus driver but can't see any more at age 80, do I complain about him driving the bus? I just might.
GioforPM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2018, 11:21 AM   #17
Buff
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GioforPM View Post
It's not quite an apt comparison. how about - if my grandpa was a really good bus driver but can't see any more at age 80, do I complain about him driving the bus? I just might.
Bob Cole's job has nothing to with safety and everything to do with the enjoyment of entertainment.

At his age he is going to be a bit slow on the play, his reaction time to make comments or call all of the play will be diminished. He'll say weird things as he tries to keep up. You can be amused and some of the odd things he says or you can be upset and bitch and moan. How you react speaks volumes on the type of person you are.
Buff is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Buff For This Useful Post:
Old 12-11-2018, 11:24 AM   #18
GioforPM
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Bob Cole's job has nothing to with safety and everything to do with the enjoyment of entertainment.

At his age he is going to be a bit slow on the play, his reaction time to make comments or call all of the play will be diminished. He'll say weird things as he tries to keep up. You can be amused and some of the odd things he says or you can be upset and bitch and moan. How you react speaks volumes on the type of person you are.
Right, and I didn't enjoy his call. I wasn't amused. It was distracting.

But as I have said a few times, I'm biased against him. I've always found him homerish, and anti-Flames, and last night wasn't an exception to me.
GioforPM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2018, 11:29 AM   #19
MolsonInBothHands
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:

I have no issue with Cole's farewell tour, he has earned it. I wasn't enamored with the job he did Sunday, but recognizing it for what is was, I am glad the fans in each rink can give him a nice ovation and pay their respects. I was at the Dome and stood up and cheered for him when he was there. My issue was with the supporting cast, and how they handed him some very one dimensional talking points for when he was filling in gaps to try and catch up. In my opinion it didn't do him any favours, and it got magnified by the rest of the crew jumping in to join the circle jerk.
Old 12-11-2018, 01:42 PM   #20
GirlySports
NOT breaking news

Exp:

there's only so much one can do with that game. That was an awful game.

GirlySports is offline   Reply With Quote