Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 10-05-2019, 05:55 AM   #41
slcrocket
Backup Goalie

Exp:

For a team with supposedly one of the best stickhandling forwards in the NHL in Gaudreau, we are ####ing terrible at gaining the zone on the PP when he is on the ice. I watched Colorado gain entry on the PP with little resistance from CGY and then wondered why we are so bad at it.
slcrocket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2019, 06:26 AM   #42
kman35ca
Farm Team Player

Exp:

Johnny Gadreau is really immature for his age, and won't take that next step till he grows up and takes better care of himself off the ice and prepares better for games.
I find he's notorious for starting the game off slow, and not getting going till the 2nd/3rd period.
But it's game 1/82 and I hope he proves me wrong this year.
kman35ca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2019, 06:37 AM   #43
bubbsy
Franchise Player

Exp:

My unpopular opinion, that i of course hope to be wrong about is that the current team doesn't have the elite level talent to really challenge for the cup, but does have a strong regular season team.

Not making a significant change to a roster that got clobbered during the hardest time of the year is disappointing for the team and the fans.
bubbsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2019, 07:08 AM   #44
djsFlames
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by kman35ca View Post
Johnny Gadreau is really immature for his age, and won't take that next step till he grows up and takes better care of himself off the ice and prepares better for games.
I find he's notorious for starting the game off slow, and not getting going till the 2nd/3rd period.
But it's game 1/82 and I hope he proves me wrong this year.
Yeah he should've been able to put out at least 5 points than a measly 2.

I will agree about the diet. But he looks like a healthier human being this fall.
djsFlames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2019, 07:28 AM   #45
calgarygeologist
Franchise Player

Exp:

Brad Treliving needs to be replaced. I don't think he has what is required to build a Cup contending team. He is too slow when it comes to making moves/trades and he hasn't yet rectified the ongoing goalie issues in Calgary. If the Flames are in a playoff position this season and he doesn't do anything significant to bolster the lineup at the trade deadline it should be his final year if the Flames don't make a run. I understand he just renewed his contract but who cares. I don't want mediocrity if that is all that Treliving can deliver.
calgarygeologist is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to calgarygeologist For This Useful Post:
Old 10-05-2019, 07:34 AM   #46
David Struch
First Line Centre

Exp:
Ducks Unpopular Opinions about Flames

My unpopular opinion about the Flames...

Calgary would've been better off dealing the Juuso Välimäki pick to acquire Marc-André Fleury.

It seems the Flames are always unwilling to pay the price to get elite goaltending, a goalie is not something you should cheap out on.

Salary wise the team would essentially be in the same position, sub in Fleury and Rinaldo/Dubé for Talbot and Frolík.
David Struch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2019, 08:08 AM   #47
Shazam
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jiri Hrdina View Post
My unpopular opinion is fairly well known: that the Flames will have a hard time winning with Johnny Gaudreau as their top forward, and next summer they should seriously consider trading him to maximize his value.

Other unpopular opinions I've had:
- Fighting should eliminated completely from the game
- The definition of a hit needs to be re-shaped, to only be about separately puck from player and nothing more
- Theo Fleury is not an all time great Flame, and does not deserve to have his number retired or be honored by the club.
- The organization has been to quick to fire General Managers with Al Coates in particular getting a raw deal. With more time, Button would have also been a good GM. I'm very relieved by the commitment being shown to GMBT
- Iginla is the best Flames of all time but did the club a real dis-service by how he handled his NTC during his final season. He was also a major issue in his final few seasons by undermining the coach and not playing a strong two way game, creating a divide in the locker room, with Regehr on the other side.
I totally agree with all these. Especially the fighting. Eventually someone's going to be in the NHL that actually knows how to fight, and he's going to seriously injure another player. Hopefully that will end it.
Old 10-05-2019, 08:18 AM   #48
Northendzone
Franchise Player

Exp:

One game in and I am already tired about hearing about how lucic embiggens the entire team.

And embiggens is a perfectly cromulent word
Old 10-05-2019, 08:28 AM   #49
Strange Brew
Franchise Player

Exp:

The complaints about officiating on CP are so far over the top that it destroys the game thread experience much of the time.

If your obsession with the Oilers means you watch all their games and listen to their radio shows then you’ve taken it too far.

The Flames will likely have a hard time winning a cup with Gaudreau as the best player, but the answer to this problem isn’t necessarily to trade the guy. Because what you’re really saying is that the team isn’t good enough.

Treliving is an an OK general manager who gets cut a lot of slack because of how he handles the media.

What the Flames gave up for Travis Hamonic was criminal.

I like Darryl Sutter.
I like hitting in hockey.
I like the Saddledome.
Strange Brew is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Strange Brew For This Useful Post:
Old 10-05-2019, 08:31 AM   #50
Jiri Hrdina
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cali Panthers Fan View Post
I've shared one pretty consistently unpopular opinion over the years.

Barkov is a far superior player to Monahan in almost every part of the game other than goal scoring.

The debate has been going on since they were drafted, and I've been pretty consistent on my position. I think only now people are realizing this is likely true.
Yeah there’s no question about this
Barkiv is an elite two way player and probably one of the top 5 centres in the game
Jiri Hrdina is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2019, 08:36 AM   #51
DazzlinDino
Franchise Player

Exp:

While I think the team has no shortage of talent, I do believe the top line is flawed. I don't think the top line has the horses to play a long playoff grinding type game. I too am with the group thinks we got outcoached during the playoffs, if it had been Darryl Sutter coaching, the Flames would have been the hardest working team on the ice. Instead the team just folded making that excuse that they weren't prepared because the Avalanche were playing meaningful games. To me that's just an excuse. Mike Smith playing this best games during the playoffs would have never happened under Darryl Sutter it would have happened during the season, or he would have been on the bench favor someone else. I know the Flames are trying to create a balanced team throughout the lineup but I think the top 2 lines need to be stronger.

Last edited by DazzlinDino; 10-05-2019 at 08:41 AM.
DazzlinDino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2019, 08:37 AM   #52
TheSquatch
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Northendzone View Post
One game in and I am already tired about hearing about how lucic embiggens the entire team.

And embiggens is a perfectly cromulent word
Cromulence is what the team has been missing for so many years, and now we have it in spades.
TheSquatch is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to TheSquatch For This Useful Post:
Old 10-05-2019, 08:44 AM   #53
Bingo
Owner

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jiri Hrdina View Post
My unpopular opinion is fairly well known: that the Flames will have a hard time winning with Johnny Gaudreau as their top forward, and next summer they should seriously consider trading him to maximize his value.

Other unpopular opinions I've had:
- Fighting should eliminated completely from the game
- The definition of a hit needs to be re-shaped, to only be about separately puck from player and nothing more
- Theo Fleury is not an all time great Flame, and does not deserve to have his number retired or be honored by the club.
- The organization has been to quick to fire General Managers with Al Coates in particular getting a raw deal. With more time, Button would have also been a good GM. I'm very relieved by the commitment being shown to GMBT
- Iginla is the best Flames of all time but did the club a real dis-service by how he handled his NTC during his final season. He was also a major issue in his final few seasons by undermining the coach and not playing a strong two way game, creating a divide in the locker room, with Regehr on the other side.
You may need the witness protection program for that last one!
Bingo is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Bingo For This Useful Post:
Old 10-05-2019, 08:46 AM   #54
tkflames
First Line Centre

Exp:

I dont know if its unpopular...but puck drop should be at the stated start time. Anthems, player intros etc. should all be prior to this.
Old 10-05-2019, 08:54 AM   #55
Major Major
First Line Centre

Exp:

Should name this thread what it is. A sad place to come after a game 1 loss. Last year's sadness thread was better. It had more sadness and more people. You can do better. Dig deep and let those sadnesses roar from within!
Major Major is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2019, 08:55 AM   #56
cracher
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Theo makes decent music. Went to his show last year with a rubbernecker/trainwreck attitude and caught myself tapping my foot half way through.
cracher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2019, 08:57 AM   #57
Wolfman
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by tkflames View Post
I dont know if its unpopular...but puck drop should be at the stated start time. Anthems, player intros etc. should all be prior to this.
Old 10-05-2019, 09:04 AM   #58
Shazam
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
The NHL actually mandated this a few years ago. Dunno what happened.

It amazes me how inept the NHL's governing body is.
Old 10-05-2019, 09:18 AM   #59
Saqe
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:

I don't understand the anthem thing at all. What does it have to do with hockey? These guys are playing a game for entertainment, not going to war. The whole thing seems absurd.
Saqe is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to Saqe For This Useful Post:
Old 10-05-2019, 09:21 AM   #60
Indomitable
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Hi all, long time lurker first time poster. Not that anyone cares but I was born the year the Flames moved to Calgary. Neil Sheehy was my favourite player growing up 'cause he was the only one that went after Gretzky. Don't know if I still have it or not but had a black and white photo/card of Sheehy when he was number 0 for the Whalers...

Anyway, unpopular opinion time. My unpopular opinion is Nazem Kadri. This relates to the flames and many, many (as unfortunate as it is) posters on this board.

We do not, nor would we ever require Nazem Kadri on this hockey team and here is a list of reasons why:

1. He didn't want to be here

There, I'd say that's exhaustive enough.

So many posts about how he would be an upgrade on 2C and how that would shove Backlund down etc. In a vacuum or EA NHL I completely agree. The Flames, us, the world (the people on it, not Earth) obviously do not operate in a vacuum, so continually beating that horse serves absolutely no purpose whatsoever.

Bottom line, you do not want a player on your roster that does not want to play for your team. Nazem Kadri blocked the trade. He can use all the flowery language he wants in the media to justify it, but the end result is the same (see point one in list above).

I know I'm digging my own grave here by asking this but can we please... pretty please with sugar on top, at the very least acknowledge that the jerk face didn't want to be here and tone down the lamenting?

Thank you in advance for your consideration.

Also, thanks for letting me join the board!
Indomitable is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to Indomitable For This Useful Post: