Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-22-2019, 06:30 PM   #381
powderjunkie
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GioforPM View Post
I'm not sure Janko's PK skills are the same as ES defensive skills. They overlap, but IMO he's on the PK because he has a long reach and that's about it.

Tkachuk isn't an all-world defensive player. I'd probably put him somewhere in the middle on the team.
I was thinking about a joke that playing 4v5 in your own end when Johnny is on the ice - of course that is a massive exaggeration.

Of course Tkachuk isn't the second coming of Datsyuk, but he'd pair well with the team's two best defensive forwards, and they'd have an excellent counter-attack against other team's top lines.
powderjunkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2019, 08:57 PM   #382
calf
broke the first rule

Exp:

Whoever runs the Flames twitter account is kinda lame compared to some of the others across the NHL
calf is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to calf For This Useful Post:
Old 10-22-2019, 09:17 PM   #383
chedder
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by calf View Post
Whoever runs the Flames twitter account is kinda lame compared to some of the others across the NHL
No kidding. 'Time for warmies' before every game. Who calls warmup 'warmies' ?
chedder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2019, 09:35 PM   #384
SmoggyFlamesFan
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

This team is going nowhere fast. No heart. Soft. Useless top line. Shows up for stretches at a time, then disappears. Same story every year. Will make you believe that they're good for a while, and then crushes your hopes and dreams before the end of the regular season, or in the first round of the playoffs. This hockey team is the only thing this city can rally around in a time of economic fragility and political uncertainty, and still finds another way to make fans depressed. Every. Damn. Year. One playoff series win in 15 years. 4 series wins in 30. That may be an unpopular opinion, but it's the truth. And the truth hurts.
SmoggyFlamesFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2019, 09:39 PM   #385
Enoch Root
Franchise Player

Exp:

Why do people always think that 'negative' opinions are the 'truth'?

ALL opinions, from the rosiest to the most pessimistic, are just that - opinions.
Enoch Root is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Enoch Root For This Useful Post:
Old 10-22-2019, 09:44 PM   #386
SmoggyFlamesFan
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enoch Root View Post
Why do people always think that 'negative' opinions are the 'truth'?

ALL opinions, from the rosiest to the most pessimistic, are just that - opinions.
I will repeat. My fact may be surrounded with negative opinion but the truth is this: 4 series wins total in 30 years. 3 of those wins in one magical season. I am a die hard flames fan. I have spent way more money on jerseys and memorabilia than I care to admit. It hurts, man. It really does. To realize that we are just destined to watch more of the same thing. Some of you will say; "well, if you feel that way, why don't you stop watching?"

My honest answer, I dunno. I am a masochistic glutton for punishment I guess. Same as every other die hard fan of this team.
SmoggyFlamesFan is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to SmoggyFlamesFan For This Useful Post:
Old 10-22-2019, 10:13 PM   #387
The Boy Wonder
First Line Centre

Exp:

Alright here’s my big one: tkachuk hasn’t earned the reputation he gets as a rat and #### disturber. He’s never there in playoffs and takes a ton of nights off.

I often don’t often see this whole “he drags his teammates into the fight” thing that gets bandied about constantly in the media.
The Boy Wonder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2019, 10:14 PM   #388
The Boy Wonder
First Line Centre

Exp:

Double post

Last edited by The Boy Wonder; 10-22-2019 at 10:16 PM. Reason: Double post
The Boy Wonder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2019, 10:17 PM   #389
dino7c
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Boy Wonder View Post
Alright here’s my big one: tkachuk hasn’t earned the reputation he gets as a rat and #### disturber. He’s never there in playoffs and takes a ton of nights off.

I often don’t often see this whole “he drags his teammates into the fight” thing that gets bandied about constantly in the media.
kid is 21
Old 10-22-2019, 10:17 PM   #390
bubbsy
Franchise Player

Exp:

This franchise just didn't suck bad enough or long enough for the rebuild to reap enough high end talent in the core, to shape into a real contender.

Thank the heavens that the grabbed Gaudreau in the 4th round and that allstar outta nowhere, which made up for the Bennett never living up to anything close to his draft spot.

With Giordano in the last year or 2 of his prime, we are looking at a core of Monahan, Gaudreau, lindholm, tkatchuk and then some d that i am still not clear if they are top pairing, 2nd pairing dmen in hanafin, Andersson, Valimaki.

That is not great.

So either this core has a real down year, grabs another core piece asap, or the mediocrity continues. I'm not a huge treliving fanboy, but to me his value and longevity as the gm of this team will be judged by how unemotional he is when determining to cut bait with this core.

Last edited by bubbsy; 10-23-2019 at 08:06 AM.
bubbsy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 12 Users Say Thank You to bubbsy For This Useful Post:
Old 10-22-2019, 10:34 PM   #391
Hackey
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

The smartest thing Treliving could do is flip all this good young talent into prospects and picks, suck for a couple years, and then you'd have a huge young talent pool all coming up together. No chance in hell they do that though. They'll wait it out as the team fizzles out as guys get older and leave. Team will be average for a while and then will do what we should do now but with way less assets. If we miss playoffs this year maybe there is a chance they make some major changes but as it's been said before...this team is filled with good players but lacks the superstars. Only chance at superstars is get really lucky or draft high.
Hackey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2019, 10:37 PM   #392
bubbsy
Franchise Player

Exp:

The unfortunate part is I think with the new arena deal flames will chase any whiff of playoffs to keep ticket sales going. New, expensive arena breaking ground. A struggling, rebuilding team, in an economic downturn, is a really really bad look.

But heck, maybe the nhl hands the flames some 1st overall picks to help accelerate things like they did for the oilers.

Last edited by bubbsy; 10-22-2019 at 10:42 PM.
bubbsy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to bubbsy For This Useful Post:
Old 10-22-2019, 10:49 PM   #393
Strange Brew
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by bubbsy View Post
This franchise just didn't suck bad enough or long enough for the rebuild to reap enough high end talent in the core, to shape into a real contender.

Thank the heavens that the grabbed Gaudreau in the 4th round and that allstar outta nowhere, which made up for the Bennett never living up to anything close to his draft spot.

With Giordano in the last year or 2 of his prime, we are looking at a core of Monahan, Gaudreau, lindholm, tkatchuk and then some d that i am still not clear if they are top pairing, 2nd pairing dmen in has hanafin, Andersson, Valimaki.

That is not great.

So either this core has a real down year, grabs another core piece asap, or the mediocrity continues. I'm not a huge treliving fanboy, but to me his value and longevity as the gm of this team will be judged by how unemotional he is when determining to cut bait with this core.
Not to rehash old arguments too much, but if you could take back the Hamonic and Lazar trades, that would be 3 2nd round picks and a 1st round pick that would be in the fold. A real chance of there being a gem or two in that group that could be a difference maker.
Strange Brew is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Strange Brew For This Useful Post:
Old 10-23-2019, 12:05 AM   #394
DeluxeMoustache

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by dino7c View Post
kid is 21
Maybe should have been paid like he is :-)
DeluxeMoustache is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2019, 12:27 AM   #395
cam_wmh
Franchise Player

Exp:

Tkachuk should be traded. Since signing he’s rarely engaged, too slow, and doesn’t fight through the tough battles.

His value is still high, and attaining a faster, physical winger would be optimal.

If he’s a future leader, he’s not showing those qualities.
cam_wmh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2019, 12:56 AM   #396
Duffalufagus
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Strange Brew View Post
Not to rehash old arguments too much, but if you could take back the Hamonic and Lazar trades, that would be 3 2nd round picks and a 1st round pick that would be in the fold. A real chance of there being a gem or two in that group that could be a difference maker.
Fantasy. Half of the first round picks are busts and the second round picks
Are basically lottery. Hamonic is a legit top 4 dman. WAY more
valuable than random (not top ten) picks in the draft.
Duffalufagus is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Duffalufagus For This Useful Post:
Old 10-23-2019, 04:08 AM   #397
N-E-B
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by calf View Post
“Talbot to the bench for the extra peep”

Seen that one a few times. Makes me cringe. Also the dumb nicknames they use for some players annoys me too. Fro-yo has to be the worst.
N-E-B is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to N-E-B For This Useful Post:
Old 10-23-2019, 04:21 AM   #398
Poe969
Franchise Player

Exp:

popular: edmonton is no good
unpopular: Calgary is only slightly better but not good enough to win anything good but not bad enough to get better players
Old 10-23-2019, 05:01 AM   #399
AC
Resident Videologist

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by N-E-B View Post
“Talbot to the bench for the extra peep”

Seen that one a few times. Makes me cringe. Also the dumb nicknames they use for some players annoys me too. Fro-yo has to be the worst.
It definitely comes across as:
AC is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to AC For This Useful Post:
Old 10-23-2019, 06:29 AM   #400
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Strange Brew View Post
Hamonic had been good at times but it still hurts to see how much Treliving gave up for him. If you could go back in time I would rather him not make the trade as maybe it comes at the cost of some success last season but in the long run they may have been able to get a better player or two with those three picks. I assume with Lazar playing junior in Edmonton that some scouts on the team saw something in him and convinced Treliving he was worth the gamble. It didn't work out but I don't mind swinging on a 1st round prospect especially when you trade as many first round picks as the Flames do.
Erick Estrada is offline   Reply With Quote