Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 10-02-2019, 08:15 PM   #1
DownInFlames
Craig McTavish' Merkin

Exp:
Default Pets in Condos

I'm curious to see what the pet policy is in other high-rise condos in Calgary. We allow a single cat or dog in our building and I feel this is a little restrictive.

I have friends who are allowed two pets and I think that's reasonable.

I'm having a tough time finding common ground with other members of our board on this topic. They're older and don't seem to be fans of pets. Any talk of loosening restrictions is met with talk of a "slippery slope" which grinds my gears to no end. We have an owner who wants to rent to tenants with two cats and they can't give a single reason why this would be detrimental in any way. It's frustrating.

I don't have pets myself but I might in the future. I take care of my parents' cat while they're away for the winter but she stays at their place.
DownInFlames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2019, 08:22 PM   #2
photon
The new goggles also do nothing.

Exp:

My condo has a no dogs at all policy in the bylaws, though existing dogs get grandfathered in.

My tenants asked me to vote for allowing dogs at the next condo corp meeting.

I've lost enough money to pets that I'd have to be pretty desperate to let them in, and the references would have to be shockingly great.
Old 10-02-2019, 08:25 PM   #3
DownInFlames
Craig McTavish' Merkin

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by photon View Post
My condo has a no dogs at all policy in the bylaws, though existing dogs get grandfathered in.

My tenants asked me to vote for allowing dogs at the next condo corp meeting.

I've lost enough money to pets that I'd have to be pretty desperate to let them in, and the references would have to be shockingly great.
What about cats? Are they allowed?

I can see the argument about dogs. They can be loud and make a mess. There are a lot of buildings that are pet-free, but if you're going to allow them the restrictions should be reasonable.
Old 10-02-2019, 08:30 PM   #4
photon
The new goggles also do nothing.

Exp:

I believe they allow cats.

What I really wish is that they allowed a refundable pet deposit in Alberta. Though I guess that would open a can of worms on what's an allowable deduction.

I've charged more per month before for a 4plex where I let people have pets, and also non-refundable pet deposits (which seems more like a bribe than anything, hey pay me $250 and I'll let you keep the cat).
The Following User Says Thank You to photon For This Useful Post:
Old 10-02-2019, 08:45 PM   #5
Cecil Terwilliger
That Crazy Guy at the Bus Stop

Exp:

My condo allows cats and small dogs. Each animal has to get approved so I’m not sure if there’s a limit but I’d guess it’s only 1.

Having spoken to several board members and people who work for condo management companies, not just for my condo but in general, the slippery slope argument seems to be a common concern. If they let people have 2 cats, the crazy dog people will riot. If they charge more per year for dogs they say it’s unfair that cat people pay less. If they allow 2 cats then some crazy cat lady wants to have 15.

Like many community issues like that it seems that since many adults can’t help but act like entitled children, the condo boards are forced to ruin it for everyone and make things extremely restrictive.
Cecil Terwilliger is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Cecil Terwilliger For This Useful Post:
Old 10-02-2019, 08:57 PM   #6
Johnny199r
First Line Centre

Exp:

I live in a new, nice apartment complex. Dogs and cats are allowed. I believe up to 2 per unit.

It's been fine. I hear a dog bark once in a while when I walk down the hallway. That's it. I have a cat.
Johnny199r is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Johnny199r For This Useful Post:
Old 10-02-2019, 09:12 PM   #7
Amethyst
First Line Centre

Exp:

Most places I've heard of allowed up to two. I don't think that's unreasonable. Two is often better because they keep each other company, instead of being destructive or noisy.

Edit: My own condo when I had one had this policy as well as many I've visited in the process of interviewing potential adopters of rescue dogs.
Amethyst is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Amethyst For This Useful Post:
Old 10-02-2019, 10:48 PM   #8
1qqaaz
Franchise Player

Exp:

For the people who have cats in apartments, where do you keep the litter box?

I have mine in the spare bedroom and I feel like it ruins the entire bedroom.
My apartment allows 2 cats or 2 dogs, or 1 of each. I have frogs and fish in addition to my two cats. But this is Indiana.
1qqaaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2019, 10:50 PM   #9
Cecil Terwilliger

Exp:

I keep mine in the spare bathroom. If I get company I put it in my laundry room.
Old 10-02-2019, 11:09 PM   #10
OMG!WTF!
Franchise Player

Exp:

It's got to be maddening dealing with this issue in condos. The size rule is almost completely backwards. I'd take almost every breed over 25 pounds than almost any breed under. And cats are way more smelly than dogs. -- I could never live with you people. I'd lose my chit.
OMG!WTF! is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to OMG!WTF! For This Useful Post:
Old 10-02-2019, 11:45 PM   #11
Cecil Terwilliger

Exp:

Like I said, a few crazy people ruin it for everyone.
Old 10-03-2019, 02:24 AM   #12
Manhattanboy
Franchise Player

Exp:

I live in a stuffy old condo building with a strict no pet bylaw.

Interesting that most stuffy old condos/coops in sophisticated cities like NYC and Toronto allow pets.

I 'd like to stick it to them by getting a dog and claiming its for emotional support.
Manhattanboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2019, 06:41 AM   #13
bigtmac19
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manhattanboy View Post

Interesting that most stuffy old condos/coops in sophisticated cities like NYC and Toronto allow pets.

I 'd like to stick it to them by getting a dog and claiming its for emotional support.
Never thought of that, what if someone has a seeing eye dog, I would imagine it's not legal to deny them residence is it?

(or any kind of legitimate support animal, epilepsy, diabetes, etc.)
bigtmac19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2019, 06:47 AM   #14
DownInFlames
Craig McTavish' Merkin

Exp:

Quote:

You probably wouldn’t get far with that unless it’s a licensed service animal. How well can you fake a limp?
Old 10-03-2019, 07:22 AM   #15
llwhiteoutll
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:

You're not getting away with that unless it's covered by the Service Dog Act.
llwhiteoutll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2019, 08:24 AM   #16
stone hands
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1qqaaz View Post

My apartment allows 2 cats or 2 dogs, or 1 of each. I have frogs and fish in addition to my two cats. But this is Indiana.
ours is in the spare bathroom. get a litterbox with a lid, makes a world of difference
stone hands is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2019, 10:42 AM   #17
I-Hate-Hulse
Franchise Player

Exp:

Pets are the "Pipelines & Climate Change" issues of the condo world. Highly polarizing and divisive.

Our rental used to forbid them (and humans under 18 years of age). The latest bylaws allow for 1 dog/cat with Board Approval. Getting that passed made Obamacare look like childsplay. People had lawyers attending the AGM...

Ultimately, by laws are written for the lowest common denominator of society. Meaning the guy who wants two Dobermans in a 650 sq ft condo. Yes, those people exist.
I-Hate-Hulse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2019, 11:33 AM   #18
Amethyst
First Line Centre

Exp:

In Alberta, a service dog is allowed to go anywhere. A service dog has certain requirements and must perform a specific task (such as a seeing eye dog). Emotional support animals are not recognized in Alberta (other than some airlines). Some other jurisdictions recognize emotional support animals and they are allowed in no-pet housing in those areas.
Amethyst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2019, 12:24 PM   #19
DoubleF
Franchise Player

Exp:

My condo technically has a no pets policy that IMO makes sense.

Pets other than those that are not capable of leaving an aquarium are not allowed to reside in the condo units mainly for smell and noise complaint and fear reasons (ie: Tarantulas and Snakes). However, anyone who wants to bring a pet for more than a basic visit can apply to have an exception to their pet. If I am not mistaken, the application allows for up to 1 pet per occupant and at least half of the condo board members must meet the pet, hang out with the pet for 15-30 minutes and arbitrarily determine if the pet is "well behaved" enough to be at the condo. The board members have expressed they likely wouldn't reject any pets unless it was obvious the pet was extremely badly trained, but no one has ever tried to file for an exception for one after the rule was implemented and previous pets before the rule was implemented passed away and were never replaced.

The rules for the pets I believe are quite simple and IMO reasonable too, but I don't know if they've changed:
- No litter box and trash on balcony (not significantly different than rule about messy/cluttered balcony and restrictions of garbage on the balcony)
- No excessive noise that disturb comfort of other tenants (no different than humans)
- Pet cannot live/reside on balcony (same as humans, heck even large equipment like bikes cannot be there, but all units have storage lockers and there's a bike room, so it shouldn't be there anyways)
- Must be respectful to other tenants around for noise and mess (again, no different than humans).

The board doesn't care about pets but is absolutely militant about maintaining an over 18 years old rule for living at the condo (visiting not in excess of 1 week or something is OK though) and will be jumping on the grandfathered over 18 rule for as long as they are able to.
DoubleF is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to DoubleF For This Useful Post:
Old 10-03-2019, 12:36 PM   #20
DoubleF
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1qqaaz View Post

I had a friend who used to have it in their bathroom and when guests came over, they'd hide it in a box on the balcony (not allowed to be there).

I say used to, because my friends got fed up with that set up and trained their cats to use the toilet.
DoubleF is offline   Reply With Quote