Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-17-2019, 03:03 PM   #21
Sliver
evil of fart

Exp:

A pimped out garage hang out area is better than a bar inside your house IMO. Garages are less formal - leave your shoes on and do a quick hit and run before going out. No need to wander into someone's house and interact with their wife and/or kids. Just have fun kind of outside. I think a converted shed with a little space heater is cool, too. My friends and I have stopped going into each other's houses over the past few years for whatever reason, but garages are fair game. Home bars kind of seem like what baby boomers thought were cool when they were in their 30s/40s. I don't see it working as well nowadays, at least for my group.
Sliver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2019, 04:11 PM   #22
DoubleF
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sliver View Post
A pimped out garage hang out area is better than a bar inside your house IMO. Garages are less formal - leave your shoes on and do a quick hit and run before going out. No need to wander into someone's house and interact with their wife and/or kids. Just have fun kind of outside. I think a converted shed with a little space heater is cool, too. My friends and I have stopped going into each other's houses over the past few years for whatever reason, but garages are fair game. Home bars kind of seem like what baby boomers thought were cool when they were in their 30s/40s. I don't see it working as well nowadays, at least for my group.
Conceptually, I don't understand the concept of doing a hit and run in a garage before an event. I could maybe understand it if you're often in the garage working doing shop class or automotive activities on a regular basis though. But a quick beer in a garage to avoid saying hello to the kids and the wife... That's odd to me.

I pre-game in my kitchen with friends all the time and I maintain a basic bar in my kitchen. The nice stuff I keep elsewhere. If I had a big ass backyard I use regularly though and I could keep a conveniently bar on the far side of the yard for top ups, that's sometime I think I could play along with. But I almost feel like I'd rather just build a secret bar into a deck or Gazebo, preferably within arms reach of the BBQ(just small bar fridges for drinks and condiments and some cups/straws etc.).

I agree with your comment about the traditional bar though. It's almost mirrored to the comment I constantly hear about hot tubs, "Seems like a great idea to have a bar/hot tub, until you have one. Then it sucks to have a hot tub."
DoubleF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2019, 04:23 PM   #23
Sliver
evil of fart

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoubleF View Post
Conceptually, I don't understand the concept of doing a hit and run in a garage before an event. I could maybe understand it if you're often in the garage working doing shop class or automotive activities on a regular basis though. But a quick beer in a garage to avoid saying hello to the kids and the wife... That's odd to me.

I pre-game in my kitchen with friends all the time and I maintain a basic bar in my kitchen. The nice stuff I keep elsewhere. If I had a big ass backyard I use regularly though and I could keep a conveniently bar on the far side of the yard for top ups, that's sometime I think I could play along with. But I almost feel like I'd rather just build a secret bar into a deck or Gazebo, preferably within arms reach of the BBQ(just small bar fridges for drinks and condiments and some cups/straws etc.).

I agree with your comment about the traditional bar though. It's almost mirrored to the comment I constantly hear about hot tubs, "Seems like a great idea to have a bar/hot tub, until you have one. Then it sucks to have a hot tub."
Yeah, these things are always so dependent on many factors, but for my group, most of us live in the same neighbourhood and meet up at my garage for a couple drinks before we head out. There are some cannabis guys, too, so that's less appropriate in a house with a family, which is definitely a factor.

I think it's better because you don't have to take off your shoes and stuff. I have a stereo in there, seats, bar fridge, ceiling fan to expel smoke...it's way better than going in and moderating your language/conversation to accommodate kids. It also doesn't feel like I'm hosting anything whereas in the house I want to host. I'd rather just hang out since we get together weekly versus ensuring everyone is comfortable and having a good time when you're in host mode. All my friends have the code to my garage and just wander in when it's time to get together.
Sliver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2019, 04:39 PM   #24
fundmark19
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Your wife doesn’t yell at you when you come home after flames games and hang in the garage until 4am since you didn’t wake her up. There are many pros to bar set up in garages.
fundmark19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2019, 06:17 PM   #25
Canadianman
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weitz View Post
The only people I know who see value from having a tap installed in their basement are those who brew their own beer. Otherwise, how many times a year do you use it?
This is smart. I have a 4 tap keezer, but it's because I made beer, cider and ginger beer.
Canadianman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2019, 06:32 PM   #26
Shin Pad
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:

I agree with the garage hang out, as that is now what I have. The basement bar was great and we used it fairly often - it seemed to be the place where we would all gather around. Now, I have a huge garage with a stereo, fridge, etc., so it's great for entertaining. I have a large fire pit area outside, and I'm going to build an outdoor bar near the fire pit. My plan is to build it like an old saloon (it may not work in the City, but I'm out in a rural area, so it's appropriate), and make it an outdoor entertainment area. It'll be next year when I get to building it as I have a few more projects I have to get done before the snow flies.
Shin Pad is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Shin Pad For This Useful Post:
Old 09-17-2019, 07:06 PM   #27
Maritime Q-Scout
Ben

Exp:

For those of you with bars, be it in their basement, or garage, backyard, where ever; what does behind the bar look like?

Storage? Fridge? Sink? Dishwasher? I'm curious how that is set up.

"Calgary Flames is the best team in all the land" - My Brainwashed Son
Maritime Q-Scout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2019, 07:12 PM   #28
stang
CP's Fraser Crane

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shin Pad View Post
I agree with the garage hang out, as that is now what I have. The basement bar was great and we used it fairly often - it seemed to be the place where we would all gather around. Now, I have a huge garage with a stereo, fridge, etc., so it's great for entertaining. I have a large fire pit area outside, and I'm going to build an outdoor bar near the fire pit. My plan is to build it like an old saloon (it may not work in the City, but I'm out in a rural area, so it's appropriate), and make it an outdoor entertainment area. It'll be next year when I get to building it as I have a few more projects I have to get done before the snow flies.
I am very interested in your idea on this.
stang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2019, 07:30 PM   #29
DeluxeMoustache

Exp:

Quote:
A pimped out garage hang out area is better than a bar inside your house IMO. Garages are less formal - leave your shoes on and do a quick hit and run before going out. No need to wander into someone's house and interact with their wife and/or kids. ...
Quote:

I think it's better because you don't have to take off your shoes and stuff. I have a stereo in there, seats, bar fridge, ceiling fan to expel smoke...it's way better than going in and moderating your language/conversation to accommodate kids. It also doesn't feel like I'm hosting anything whereas in the house I want to host. I'd rather just hang out since we get together weekly versus ensuring everyone is comfortable and having a good time when you're in host mode. All my friends have the code to my garage and just wander in when it's time to get together.
Am I right to suspect this is the situation ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sliver’s kid
My father wears his sneakers in the pool
DeluxeMoustache is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to DeluxeMoustache For This Useful Post:
Old 09-17-2019, 10:19 PM   #30
DoubleF
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Yeah, these things are always so dependent on many factors, but for my group, most of us live in the same neighbourhood and meet up at my garage for a couple drinks before we head out. There are some cannabis guys, too, so that's less appropriate in a house with a family, which is definitely a factor.

I think this posts answers the biggest reason why this bar is so popular. It has a smoking section. No, seriously, this makes a ton of sense and IMO even answers the wife and kids question.

"Daddy, why is your friend so stupid?"
"Well... there's this thing called Cannibis..."

I think I'm starting to get it. It's somewhere in between standing on the corner of your house having a smoke and a deck/balcony (but justifiably heated). That's pretty decent (assuming garage isn't attached to house).
DoubleF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2019, 11:30 PM   #31
Shin Pad
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by stang View Post
I am very interested in your idea on this.

Still in the process of designing it - I have a few different ideas, but basically it'll be a western theme. I'm probably not going to build it until next summer. I'll post some pictures when I get it done.

Last edited by Shin Pad; 09-17-2019 at 11:33 PM.
Old 09-18-2019, 10:01 AM   #32
stang
CP's Fraser Crane

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shin Pad View Post
Still in the process of designing it - I have a few different ideas, but basically it'll be a western theme. I'm probably not going to build it until next summer. I'll post some pictures when I get it done.
Pmed
stang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2019, 11:46 AM   #33
Shin Pad
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by stang View Post
Pmed

The images I sent were just conceptual. When I get the bar designed, I'll send you what I'm actually going to build.
The Following User Says Thank You to Shin Pad For This Useful Post: