Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 10-02-2019, 04:32 PM   #561
Ped
First Line Centre

Exp:

Kids were found safe nearby, apparently due to information coming in from the alert.
Ped is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2019, 05:45 PM   #562
Scroopy Noopers
Pent-up

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainCrunch View Post
If you complain about an amber alert call at 5 pm about 5 abducted kids in your area or province, and you up the ante by calling in to complain, you are a tremendous ######bag and $$$$ $$$ sir or ma'am.
I still don’t even get them. The only reason I was notified about this one was the Weather Network App started issuing them as well. So I got a message from that app... very confused.
Scroopy Noopers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2019, 02:36 AM   #563
Bagor
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ped View Post
Kids were found safe nearby, apparently due to information coming in from the alert.
I got the alert 600 km away in Ottawa.

I'm wondering do they have some agreement with and if people got it in upper NY a few kms away?

Bagor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2019, 06:08 AM   #564
stampsx2
First Line Centre

Exp:

Tweet of the year:

“To those that complain about the #AmberAlert — these 5 children were located thanks to that system. You may now go back to leading your selfish, self-centred lives. Thanks.”
stampsx2 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to stampsx2 For This Useful Post:
Old 10-03-2019, 09:45 AM   #565
Lubicon
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bagor View Post
I got the alert 600 km away in Ottawa.

I'm wondering do they have some agreement with and if people got it in upper NY a few kms away?
Good question, whether the alerts go cross border. Given that it is an international border I would suspect border agents (both Canada/US) get almost immediate notification from police before an amber alert even goes out so would be on the lookout anyway. For that reason there isn't really a reason to notify the general population unless circumstances are pretty unusual.
Lubicon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2019, 11:14 AM   #566
Resolute 14
In the Sin Bin

Exp:

Yes, authorities will issue cross-border alerts. i.e., this example from three years ago.
Resolute 14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2019, 11:53 AM   #567
Ped
First Line Centre

Exp:

No link because I heard it on the radio, but Hamilton police charged a 70-year old man for calling 911 to complain about the amber alert; not only did he call to complain, but apparently he also threatened to keep calling and tie up the emergency lines.
Ped is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2019, 01:09 PM   #568
WhiteTiger
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ped View Post
No link because I heard it on the radio, but Hamilton police charged a 70-year old man for calling 911 to complain about the amber alert; not only did he call to complain, but apparently he also threatened to keep calling and tie up the emergency lines.
Calgary has done that. A couple kept alternating calls to C911 during our last Amber Alert, and picked up the $5000 version of the Misuse of 911 fine.
WhiteTiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2019, 03:32 PM   #569
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/hamil...rest-1.5307536

Good sentence him to a summer of cleaning porta potties in Banff in July.

Quote:
A 70-year-old man has been charged with mischief after calling 911 to complain about an Amber Alert for five missing children.

Hamilton police, who claim the man was trying to "purposely tie up" emergency lines, say they believe it's the first time someone in Ontario has been charged for calling to protest one of the emergency broadcasts.

The man called 911 at 5:04 p.m. ET Tuesday, a few minutes after the alert went out, according to Acting Det. Sgt. Lisa Chambers, who said it quickly became clear the man didn't have an emergency to report.

"Simply put, he was angry about receiving the Amber Alert on his phone because he was trying to rest," she said. "And then he further told us he would continue to call in response to the ongoing alerts."

Look on my Works, ye Mighty, and despair!
CaptainCrunch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2019, 06:56 PM   #570
monkeyman
First Line Centre

Exp:

That's a shame.
Old 10-04-2019, 10:06 AM   #571
Huntingwhale
Franchise Player

Exp:

They played a clip of him calling into dispatch on the radio this morning. I struggle to think of a bigger POS in all of Canada right now who deserves to be publicly named and shamed. In the clip he swore constantly at dispatchers who tried to explain to him the reasoning for the AA. But nope, someone woke him up from his nap and he kept ranting on and on about it.

Hard to believe a 70 year old man would behave like that.
Huntingwhale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2019, 11:17 AM   #572
stone hands
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huntingwhale View Post
They played a clip of him calling into dispatch on the radio this morning. I struggle to think of a bigger POS in all of Canada right now who deserves to be publicly named and shamed. In the clip he swore constantly at dispatchers who tried to explain to him the reasoning for the AA. But nope, someone woke him up from his nap and he kept ranting on and on about it.

after a certain age it appears that your mental state starts going backwards, many really old people act like toddlers
stone hands is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to stone hands For This Useful Post:
Old 10-05-2019, 11:19 AM   #573
Yamer
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

Cut Your Turban Off guy is a strong competitor.

"I see as much misery out of them moving to justify theirselves as them that set out to do harm."
-Dr. Amos "Doc" Cochran
Yamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2020, 09:59 PM   #574
Bagor
Franchise Player

Exp:

Got woke up by this one this morning.

Then. Oops. Our bad.

That's quite a highly populated area and I'm sure there was quite a few worried people. Turns out it was a training exercise not meant for public release.

Also had no idea that if you lived within 10km of a nuclear plant the government sends you out a fresh stock of potassium iodide every six months.

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/toron...tion-1.5424115

Bagor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2020, 02:56 AM   #575
activeStick
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bagor View Post
Got woke up by this one this morning.

Then. Oops. Our bad.

That's quite a highly populated area and I'm sure there was quite a few worried people. Turns out it was a training exercise not meant for public release.

Also had no idea that if you lived within 10km of a nuclear plant the government sends you out a fresh stock of potassium iodide every six months.

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/toron...tion-1.5424115
Scarborough is only about 15 km from the plant and like you said, there are plenty of people living within a 10 km radius of the plant, in Pickering itself.

From the article, sounds like they tested directly in production instead of a test environment, which those in IT will be familiar with.
activeStick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2020, 01:45 PM   #576
BlackArcher101
Such a pretty girl!

Exp:

Has anyone else been receiving Emergency Alert Tests on their phones only? I've seen 5 in the last 2 weeks, both during the day, before 8am, and now this morning at 2:55am and 2:57am. That royally pissed me off, being a test alert at an ungodly hour.

But talking to others, I appear to be the only one getting them. Telus doesn't know, even though it says it's by my wireless provider (of course, their agents know nothing about these). Worse, it says "Message is not intended for distribution to the public".

Old 02-12-2020, 01:50 PM   #577
afc wimbledon
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackArcher101 View Post
Has anyone else been receiving Emergency Alert Tests on their phones only? I've seen 5 in the last 2 weeks, both during the day, before 8am, and now this morning at 2:55am and 2:57am. That royally pissed me off, being a test alert at an ungodly hour.

But talking to others, I appear to be the only one getting them. Telus doesn't know, even though it says it's by my wireless provider (of course, their agents know nothing about these). Worse, it says "Message is not intended for distribution to the public".

It would appear you have been chosen to survive when the rest of us are left to die of Chinese flu, at some point you will receive a message telling you to make your way to the Government shelter where you will live out the next 3 years underground waiting out the inevitable death of the rest of us poor schmoes in the oncoming flu/zombie/cannibal apocalypse

congratulations
afc wimbledon is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to afc wimbledon For This Useful Post:
Old 02-12-2020, 02:50 PM   #578
Huntingwhale
Franchise Player

Exp:

My new phone literally has an option to disable emergency broadcasts. Been sleeping like a baby ever since.
Huntingwhale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2020, 10:39 PM   #579
#-3
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
My new phone literally has an option to disable emergency broadcasts. Been sleeping like a baby ever since.
The power button?
#-3 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to #-3 For This Useful Post:
Old 02-13-2020, 08:47 AM   #580
Wormius
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

Was the anxiety of thinking there might be an Amber Alert causing you to lose sleep? Cause there’s been like, what 3 or 4 here total?
Wormius is online now   Reply With Quote