Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 12-01-2017, 12:38 PM   #21
Burninator
Franchise Player

Exp:

Will changing the pickup to every two weeks change anything? The truck still holds the same amount of compost. If it's changed to every two weeks the truck will fill up twice as fast. Seems like it would be same the amount of trips regardless.
Burninator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2017, 12:39 PM   #22
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenLantern2814 View Post
The bins are the size they are because the city garbage trucks all use the same claw tool to empty. And the recycling/trash ones are the same size on top of everything else.

What actually goes in the garbage anymore? All the plastic and cardboard can be recycled in the blue bins, and tell green one does food waste. What isn't made of plastic or food in this day and age?
Quite a few things...
http://www.calgary.ca/UEP/WRS/Pages/...-Recycled.aspx

The mixed materials I find are the big one, and foam packaging.

Also, plastic bags. I used to throw them all in the recycling, but found out you only do the stretchy ones. Crinkly bags are garbage.

http://www.calgary.ca/UEP/WRS/Pages/...stic-Bags.aspx

Small plastic lids are no good, smaller than aprox 3 inches.
Fuzz is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Fuzz For This Useful Post:
Old 12-01-2017, 12:44 PM   #23
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

I also don't put my green bin for pickup every week if it isn't full or rotting. No point in having the truck stop at my place if they don't need to. I wonder how many empty bins the truck wastes stopping at in communities with alleys, where the bins are out all the time?
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Fuzz For This Useful Post:
Old 12-01-2017, 12:45 PM   #24
Hot_Flatus
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
What actually goes in the garbage anymore? All the plastic and cardboard can be recycled in the blue bins, and tell green one does food waste. What isn't made of plastic or food in this day and age?
No it can't, you aren't supposed to put Styrofoam/foam based food or shipping packaging, cups etc in the blue bins. For us this takes up a huge portion of the black bin as nearly everything you buy fresh comes in these and cannot be recycled.

Not too mention there is also typically something significant that is metal, wood, aerosol that has to be thrown out a few times a month that ends up taking up space.
Old 12-01-2017, 01:37 PM   #25
GreenLantern2814
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hot_Flatus View Post
No it can't, you aren't supposed to put Styrofoam/foam based food or shipping packaging, cups etc in the blue bins. For us this takes up a huge portion of the black bin as nearly everything you buy fresh comes in these and cannot be recycled.

Not too mention there is also typically something significant that is metal, wood, aerosol that has to be thrown out a few times a month that ends up taking up space.
Fair enough - still, a significant portion of household plastic can be recycled. Ultimately,all plastic is recyclable, is it not? We should be expanding our recycling programs to prevent as much plastic entering the landfill as possible.

Disclaimer: I saw the Plastic Ocean a few weeks ago at the Marda Loop Justice Film festival and it has been ####ing with my head.

Regarding garbage, we've been doing renovations all year and it seems like half the garbage is always project related crap. But my eyes are really opening to how much of the stuff we throw in our garbage cans is not actually garbage.

Last edited by GreenLantern2814; 12-01-2017 at 01:39 PM.
GreenLantern2814 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2017, 04:40 PM   #26
EVERLAST
Franchise Player

Location: https://homestars.com/companies/2808346-keith-my-furnace-guy
Exp:

We have a huge yard and a greenhouse as well as cook allot and have a good amount of wasted food/leftovers go in so it's put to good use.
EVERLAST is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2017, 06:06 PM   #27
Barnes
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Fair enough - still, a significant portion of household plastic can be recycled. Ultimately,all plastic is recyclable, is it not? We should be expanding our recycling programs to prevent as much plastic entering the landfill as possible.

Disclaimer: I saw the Plastic Ocean a few weeks ago at the Marda Loop Justice Film festival and it has been ####ing with my head.

Regarding garbage, we've been doing renovations all year and it seems like half the garbage is always project related crap. But my eyes are really opening to how much of the stuff we throw in our garbage cans is not actually garbage.
Even styrofoam is recyclable. The problem is, it costs more to make new styrofoam out of old styrofoam then it does to just make new styrofoam from raw materials. Recycling only 'works' if there is a market for the materials.
Barnes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2017, 10:25 PM   #28
Reaper
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Locke View Post
Recycling is 1000% off the table. My recycling bin is full almost constantly. They have to pick that up every week.

Compost/Garbage, okay, thats negotiable, but they have to pick up recycling every week.
Sounds like your cardboard and paper are looking for a new home in the green bin.
Old 12-01-2017, 10:41 PM   #29
bizaro86
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reaper View Post
Sounds like your cardboard and paper are looking for a new home in the green bin.
So, I throw out quite a bit of paper. I could put it in either bin with no difference if effort. Which is "better" for the city/environment? Does it matter? Right now I default to blue, but that's just because I was putting it there before I got the green, and I hadn't thought about it until right now.

Thoughts and opinions welcome. I'd like to outsource my decision making on this to the CP consensus hive mind.
bizaro86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2017, 10:53 PM   #30
Reaper
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by bizaro86 View Post
So, I throw out quite a bit of paper. I could put it in either bin with no difference if effort. Which is "better" for the city/environment? Does it matter? Right now I default to blue, but that's just because I was putting it there before I got the green, and I hadn't thought about it until right now.

Thoughts and opinions welcome. I'd like to outsource my decision making on this to the CP consensus hive mind.
For paper/cardboard I'd think the order of preference is:

1) Blue bin
2) Green bin
3) Burn to extract heat energy
4) Black bin

In all seriousness though the blue bin is top because then the paper is recycled rather than composted. This is because composting removes the paper pulp from the available stocks for manufacture so new pulp must be derived from timber.
Old 12-02-2017, 08:33 AM   #31
Russic
Dances with Wolves

Exp:

I'd think it's more important to have a very simple process and schedule for people than to try and find a sweet spot of when to pick it all up. The app and advertisements are great, but I think you're putting too much faith in the average citizen if you think it can get more complicated.

I look at it like speed limits in school zones. It's a pain to have them active so late into the night in the winter, but simplicity is better than breaking it up into smaller sections.

As for usage, my personal experience (and certainly not indicative of anybody here) is few people around me are using the green bins properly. Both my neighbours have overflowing black bins and when the magpies invariably get in there it becomes a food scrap war zone in my alley. We're a family of 4 and we our black bin is maybe just over ½ full on pickup day.
Russic is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Russic For This Useful Post:
Old 12-03-2017, 11:49 PM   #32
Ace
First Line Centre

Exp:

Yeah give me back weekly garbage and pick up my green bin once a month. I don’t even care about “smell”, the bin has a lid, people composted before and left stuff there for months without some big smell concern.

We have two kids in diapers, I put out the black bin on the wrong week and thought the garbage guy missed it because of construction traffic but ended up it was the wrong week and then the following week I missed it because I thought last week was garbage week ... so a couple mistakes and here I am with an overflowing garbage bin and 12 more days til p/u.

This two week garbage p/u is total “garbage”! My green bin is always going to be way less than my black and it gets weekly service. That’s simply ideological and not practical.

Blue bin is always overflowing so here’s ace’s ideal schedule:

Blue Bin = twice a week
Black Bin = weekly
Green Bin = once a month (summer and winter)...even if I was putting grass clippings ( which is crazy to me as they should stay on the lawn) in there I feel like you could easily keep compressing green Bin stuff and not run out of space.
Old 12-04-2017, 12:06 AM   #33
Wormius
Franchise Player

Exp:

You can get SMS alerts to remind you.
Wormius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2017, 12:30 AM   #34
btimbit
Franchise Player

Exp:

Adjusting pick ups of the green bin for seasonal use seems like a good way to do it. Right now they could get mine every 2 weeks and it still wouldnt be half full.

I have no issue with black bin being every 2 weeks and blue bin being weekly

Last edited by btimbit; 12-04-2017 at 12:35 AM.
btimbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2017, 06:36 AM   #35
GGG
Franchise Player

Exp:

They should move everything to Monthly and lower the base collection rates. Then charge people to get additional pickup. In winter I could do bi-weekly garbage and Month blue/green pretty easily.
GGG is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to GGG For This Useful Post:
Old 12-04-2017, 09:45 PM   #36
bizaro86
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GGG View Post
They should move everything to Monthly and lower the base collection rates. Then charge people to get additional pickup. In winter I could do bi-weekly garbage and Month blue/green pretty easily.
I'm not paying extra for more frequent garbage collection. I'll just dump my extra garbage on GGG's lawn
bizaro86 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to bizaro86 For This Useful Post:
GGG
Old 10-24-2018, 06:43 PM   #37
bob-loblaw
First Line Centre

Exp:

Bump.

There's a note on the calgary.ca recycling schedule page that green cart pickup is moving to every second week starting in November through March.

I remember the city discussing this but I don't recall what was decided. I'm glad to see this is happening regardless.
bob-loblaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2018, 07:00 PM   #38
Mr.Coffee
damn onions

Exp:

it's good but can we go back to garbage weekly then?

related gear grinder and I know this is the wrong thread, but how annoying is the Shephard landfill?
Mr.Coffee is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Mr.Coffee For This Useful Post:
Old 10-24-2018, 07:06 PM   #39
btimbit
Franchise Player

Exp:

I finally got around to raking all the leaves in my yard.

Green bin will now be going out for the first time in 6 months
btimbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2018, 07:24 PM   #40
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

They should really wait until mid November. I just raked last weekend, but most years my lilac's don't drop until the end of October. I've got about 10 bags that will need to get picked up, which is going to take a few weeks to get through. And since they got rid of the leaf pickup areas, which was dumb, It seems silly to reduce pickups when people need it most.
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Fuzz For This Useful Post: