Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 10-23-2019, 12:23 AM   #141
DeluxeMoustache

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flash Walken View Post
He is without question the single best option for the second line and for the second straight season, a season after a series of public out bursts from his agent, he is once again being under utilized in favour of worse players, to the detriment of the team.
Ah, misunderstood that. Thanks
DeluxeMoustache is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2019, 12:24 AM   #142
DeluxeMoustache

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harry Lime View Post
Peter pocklington claims that before the 1980 season, Ballard offered to trade the entire leafs team for the entire oilers team.
Ballard was bat ####
DeluxeMoustache is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2019, 12:37 AM   #143
Duffalufagus
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Top two lines regressing past the mean so far. Career years for a bunch of guys last year and it is correcting big time.

This is a bubble wildcard team. Sucks but true. Played way over their head until all star break and then shat the bed right to the golf course by early May.

We caught lightning in a bottle between nov ‘18 and Feb ‘19. Beat a ton of good teams too. Then had the easiest sched in the league coming home, which covered the obvious warts. Peters even admitted it. #### after all star break.
Duffalufagus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2019, 12:56 AM   #144
Harry Lime
Franchise Player

Exp:

My thought on what lebowski brought up, is actually two problems.

First, is that they need to have at least two options on every breakout, not just let Johnny take it.

Second, this can't be a team where if you shut down the first line, the game is over.
Old 10-23-2019, 01:52 AM   #145
dino7c
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
He is without question the single best option for the second line and for the second straight season, a season after a series of public out bursts from his agent, he is once again being under utilized in favour of worse players, to the detriment of the team.
Frolik is terrible...he has one goal/point on the season because the goalie got knocked over

He isn't on the second line anymore because he has played terrible
Old 10-23-2019, 05:14 AM   #146
gunnner
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

Wasnt a bad game against a pretty good team. Talbot needed to better, Monahan could start scoring on his chances any time now, and WTF was Hanifin doing on that back breaker third goal. Watched that again, that is some pee wee calibre defending. Still, the team is playing alright I think.
gunnner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2019, 07:48 AM   #147
Toonage
Taking a while to get to 5000

Exp:

Late last season a lot of us worried about Monahan's shot and was there something still wrong with his wrist, etc,

That shot is still the same, in case people were wondering.

So, is there still a problem?
Toonage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2019, 07:53 AM   #148
Huntingwhale
Franchise Player

Exp:

I struggle to think of anything more frustrating as a fan of any hockey team then when the opposition scores on you , seconds after you tie up the game. Scratch and claw your way back, only to be chasing the game the very next shift. Annoying as ####, but that's hockey.

I didn't think it was too bad of an effort overall. Lots of talk about how the Flames struggled to finish, yet very little talk of how well the Caps played. Don't forget, there's 21 other human beings on the other side of the ice who are among the best at their job in the world too.

OV has feasted on the Flames almost every game he's played against the Flames, so it's pretty much a given he'll hit the scoresheet. He also missed a couple corners on the PP, so lucky he didn't score more then a couple. Carlson is thus far the leading Norris contender. What a beast that guy has been since he won the cup. Solid deal at 8mil cap hit and putting up the most points to start a season since f'ing Bobby Orr. Credit is where credit is due; Flames hung around one of the most elite teams and recent cup champs who have the leading Norris D and Rocket champion on their roster.

All one has to do is look at the past ~20 years of Flames Octobers and see this is the norm. Give it a couple more months before the sky falls and we need to trade everyone.
Huntingwhale is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Huntingwhale For This Useful Post:
Old 10-23-2019, 07:57 AM   #149
Geeoff
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bonded View Post
I think it is the popular opinion around here
Depends on if the Flames won their last game or not.

Flames win: Monahan has improved his 200 ft game and is really starting to use his size

Flames lose: trade Monahan!
Geeoff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2019, 08:00 AM   #150
GioforPM
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huntingwhale View Post
I struggle to think of anything more frustrating as a fan of any hockey team then when the opposition scores on you , seconds after you tie up the game. Scratch and claw your way back, only to be chasing the game the very next shift. Annoying as ####, but that's hockey.

I didn't think it was too bad of an effort overall. Lots of talk about how the Flames struggled to finish, yet very little talk of how well the Caps played. Don't forget, there's 21 other human beings on the other side of the ice who are among the best at their job in the world too.

OV has feasted on the Flames almost every game he's played against the Flames, so it's pretty much a given he'll hit the scoresheet. He also missed a couple corners on the PP, so lucky he didn't score more then a couple. Carlson is thus far the leading Norris contender. What a beast that guy has been since he won the cup. Solid deal at 8mil cap hit and putting up the most points to start a season since f'ing Bobby Orr. Credit is where credit is due; Flames hung around one of the most elite teams and recent cup champs who have the leading Norris D and Rocket champion on their roster.

All one has to do is look at the past ~20 years of Flames Octobers and see this is the norm. Give it a couple more months before the sky falls and we need to trade everyone.
Caps played a really good game, I thought. Especially after not getting scored on in the first. You are right, some posters act like there's not another team out there. This is a team 1 season removed from being Cup champs.
GioforPM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2019, 08:00 AM   #151
CalgaryFan1988
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by dino7c View Post
Frolik is terrible...he has one goal/point on the season because the goalie got knocked over

He isn't on the second line anymore because he has played terrible
He's playing like ####, most likely because he doesn't want to be here and by playing like ####, he's the immovable object. Good contract my ass.
CalgaryFan1988 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2019, 08:04 AM   #152
CalgaryFan1988
Franchise Player

Exp:

And last night the top defensive pairing and good old #24 struggled (again).
Old 10-23-2019, 08:05 AM   #153
gt4flames
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Oiler fans are planning a parade after 10% of the season.
Flames fans are planning an execution after 10% of the season.

Calm down.

I would rather struggle through the first half of the season and hit our stride after the "bye week" Vs. how things have unfolded the last 2 seasons.
gt4flames is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to gt4flames For This Useful Post:
Old 10-23-2019, 08:15 AM   #154
Samonadreau
Franchise Player

Exp:

Team didnt even play that bad against a really good Caps team, Talbot had a meltdown in the second period and the flames couldnt come back from that. I work with mostly all Oilers fans and its the one thing they said about Talbot, soft goal a game. Tonight it was 2.

At least we know who will start the Heritage Classic this weekend.
Samonadreau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2019, 08:15 AM   #155
Toonage
Taking a while to get to 5000

Exp:

Getting back to Frolik, with Czarnik having an alright showing (1 goal, 1 whiff) and Rieder potentially getting hot* I would assume Frolik is the odd man out for Thursday with Bennett coming back in?

* Obviously kidding, but he did score and Frolik did not
Toonage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2019, 08:18 AM   #156
old-fart
Franchise Player

Exp:

Watched on NHL Live on my iPad from the hotel, but I thought the Flames were the better team for most of the game. If not for the two bad Talbot goals, the Flames win this one. Can't be allowing that weak ass first goal, nor giving the puck away behind your own net.

This loss is on Talbot.
old-fart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2019, 08:20 AM   #157
GioforPM
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CalgaryFan1988 View Post
And last night the top defensive pairing and good old #24 struggled (again).
24 was the better of the defencemen in his pairing. I thought his game was fine.
GioforPM is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to GioforPM For This Useful Post:
Old 10-23-2019, 08:20 AM   #158
CroFlames
Franchise Player

Exp:

Flames played well and were unlucky not to lead after one. Credit to Caps for weathering the Flames onslaught.

Caps continued to play a strong game and their offensive weapons popped a few on their chances, and our offensive weapons did not. Sometimes that happens.

On top of that, they not only have a generational goalscorer, but they have one of the best 1Cs in the league, and a 1D who is playing out of his goddam mind.

All told, I'm liking the Flames effort lately, but it'd be nice to see some results as you can't let too many points slip away.
CroFlames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2019, 08:57 AM   #159
Monahammer
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
There was this play last night where backlund through a great pass to Frolik beside the net, wide open with holtby still on backlunds side

Frolik's stick was not on the ice (who knows why?)

This happens so often it's ridiculous. Frolik is not a better player than Reider at this point, and I also wouldn't want Reider on the second line.
We need another top 6 forward- Bennett and Mangiapane were supposed to potentially fill that hole but both have failed so far.
Monahammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2019, 09:01 AM   #160
CalgaryFan1988
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GioforPM View Post
24 was the better of the defencemen in his pairing. I thought his game was fine.
He was indecisive in going after a loose puck that led to a goal and didn't play a 2 on 1 very well, which led to a goal.