Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-25-2019, 01:17 PM   #1
CMPunk
aka Spike

Exp:
Default Chestermere Rink Closed

Looks like more roof issues like Jack Setter and Fairview

https://calgary.ctvnews.ca/risk-of-h...ntre-1.4610098
CMPunk is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to CMPunk For This Useful Post:
Old 09-26-2019, 07:14 AM   #2
Northendzone
Franchise Player

Exp:

am sure on the enws last night they were saying that the rink itself had their own analysis done and they were told the roof was fine for now (or soething to that effect).

tough blow as they had a twin sheet there, plus a bunch of other things in the building. wonder how they can find additional ice.
Old 09-26-2019, 10:17 AM   #3
northcrunk
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Northendzone View Post
am sure on the enws last night they were saying that the rink itself had their own analysis done and they were told the roof was fine for now (or soething to that effect).

tough blow as they had a twin sheet there, plus a bunch of other things in the building. wonder how they can find additional ice.
This is big news in Chesty. So many programs are run out of the rec centre besides hockey and people are pretty pissed off about it. Everyone is scrambling to find space for their activities now on really short notice.
northcrunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2019, 10:59 AM   #4
Northendzone
Franchise Player

Exp:

so which side of the fence are most people on? are they comfortable with the stantec analysis or are they siding with the RM and thinking closing it is the most prudent approach?
Old 09-26-2019, 11:20 AM   #5
CMPunk
aka Spike

Exp:

If Fairview hadn't actually had the roof fall in, I doubt this would have been an issue. But as soon as people hear there's an issue with the roof, they are going to go into panic mode and it's going to cause issues for Chestermere.

I just don't understand why this had to be announced right at the start of the season though? Couldn't this have been done in the summer giving people a chance to rebook? It's Calgary, we're gonna get snow, this shouldn't be a shock to people.
Old 09-26-2019, 11:37 AM   #6
dubc80
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

I miss my 11pm Chestermere ice times when I played in NCHL... said no one ever.

My son's last few skating sessions got cancelled because of the Jack Setter closure last winter. We ended up getting a refund.

This is going to be a big blow to many people and organizations. The timing is terrible with all the Fall programs just started.
dubc80 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to dubc80 For This Useful Post:
Old 09-26-2019, 11:41 AM   #7
Lubicon
Franchise Player

Exp:

So in my time as a hockey parent we have had the following rinks closed suddenly:

Bowness, Stu Peppard, Fairview, and now Chestermere, all for major unforeseen infrastructure issues. Winsport and Southland also had brief closures due to mechanical issues.

Question I have is are we putting enough resources into upkeep and maintenance of our facilities? You can expand this to all our public infrastructure to be honest. Highways, parks, public buildings, schools. The list is endless. Governments are strapped for cash yet have been largely ignoring these looming issues for years now. Maybe it's time to stop spending money on new things (programs) and concentrate on what we have before everything falls apart.
Lubicon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2019, 12:52 PM   #8
northcrunk
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by dubc80 View Post
I miss my 11pm Chestermere ice times when I played in NCHL... said no one ever.

My son's last few skating sessions got cancelled because of the Jack Setter closure last winter. We ended up getting a refund.

This is going to be a big blow to many people and organizations. The timing is terrible with all the Fall programs just started.
We have a men's league in Chestermere that has ice times between 6:30 and 9:30
Old 09-26-2019, 12:53 PM   #9
northcrunk
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
so which side of the fence are most people on? are they comfortable with the stantec analysis or are they siding with the RM and thinking closing it is the most prudent approach?
I think people were comfortable with the Stantec report but it's brought up other issues such as mis-management of the facility and problems with the board. This has opened a can of worms for sure.
Old 09-26-2019, 01:10 PM   #10
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CMPunk View Post
If Fairview hadn't actually had the roof fall in, I doubt this would have been an issue. But as soon as people hear there's an issue with the roof, they are going to go into panic mode and it's going to cause issues for Chestermere.

I just don't understand why this had to be announced right at the start of the season though? Couldn't this have been done in the summer giving people a chance to rebook? It's Calgary, we're gonna get snow, this shouldn't be a shock to people.
I dont know man, I think its opening a lot of people's eyes.

The Fairview example is a good one, but the roof actually did fall in. There are concerns about some of these older buildings.

Again, yes, if there were concerns they should have been addressed during the summer.

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
Locke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2019, 02:26 PM   #11
8sPOT
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

My son was in a Spring/Summer hockey camp in Chestermere this year. The coach who ran it sent an email today with contact info for various other organizations (Strathmore, Calgary NE, Indus, Carstairs, etc) to see if your kid could potentially join a different team for the season. He is under the impression (was previously on the CRCA board) this will not be fixed in the short term. He says there is an emergency meeting tonight for the CHMA to figure out potential options. What a tough time of year for that to happen.
8sPOT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2019, 02:48 PM   #12
CMPunk
aka Spike

Exp:

Ha Ha, we fooled you, we're staying open:
https://calgaryherald.com/news/local...r-snow-removal

Why they didn't discuss all of this before causing panic and chaos is beyond me
Old 09-27-2019, 03:35 PM   #13
flamesfan1297
First Line Centre

Exp:

Glad the rink is staying open to avoid all that chaos. The rink wasn't designed great when build though, that lobby is a gong show

Halloween candy is horrifying.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anduril View Post
"Putting nets on puck."

- Ferland 2016
flamesfan1297 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2019, 03:43 PM   #14
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Is everyone going to be required to sign a liability waiver?

"Use of this facility is at your own risk, management shall not be held responsible for any and all ceiling-collapse related fiascos."

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
Locke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2019, 05:49 PM   #15
calgarygeologist
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lubicon View Post
So in my time as a hockey parent we have had the following rinks closed suddenly:

Bowness, Stu Peppard, Fairview, and now Chestermere, all for major unforeseen infrastructure issues. Winsport and Southland also had brief closures due to mechanical issues.

Question I have is are we putting enough resources into upkeep and maintenance of our facilities? You can expand this to all our public infrastructure to be honest. Highways, parks, public buildings, schools. The list is endless. Governments are strapped for cash yet have been largely ignoring these looming issues for years now. Maybe it's time to stop spending money on new things (programs) and concentrate on what we have before everything falls apart.

From what I have seen and heard in my brief time as a parent in minor hockey and booking ice time many of the facilities are actually strapped for cash. Prime time ice is expensive and hard to book but off peak times are readily available and cheap. Minor hockey is also seeing a decline in participation which is hurting the cash flow into associations and as such into facilities.
calgarygeologist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2019, 11:08 PM   #16
Northendzone
Franchise Player

Exp:

^ I would think it would be hard to book much minor hockey in off peak times. Not to mention the added issue of this being in chestermere.

Would be painful for many families to get thier player to a 6pm practice at say max bell for example
Old 09-27-2019, 11:15 PM   #17
Lubicon
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
^ I would think it would be hard to book much minor hockey in off peak times. Not to mention the added issue of this being in chestermere.

Would be painful for many families to get thier player to a 6pm practice at say max bell for example
You got that right. Better yet a 4:15 or 4:30 practice. As a coach I used to hate those as you usually only had half the players there.
Lubicon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2019, 01:40 PM   #18
calgarygeologist
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lubicon View Post
You got that right. Better yet a 4:15 or 4:30 practice. As a coach I used to hate those as you usually only had half the players there.
Yeah 4:15/4:30 practices were brutal as were 7am ones.

One of the worst ice times we had was during minor hockey week. 5:15pm game during a week day and it snowed all day long so roads were ####. Luckily we were playing close to home for most of our players but the other team was across town. We still had to start the game with 9 players but the other team only had 7.
calgarygeologist is offline   Reply With Quote