Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-13-2019, 09:57 AM   #321
MrButtons
Backup Goalie

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bleeding Red View Post
Don't get too down. I know the initial shock and then first couple of weeks can be hard.

If you can, take some time to think about a few things:
- what did / didn't you like about your last job
- Think about the things you accomplished (that those fools at the last job didn't appreciate)
- Think about what you would want in your next job - flexibility, meaningful tasks, location, company, etc.

- Think about (or list) what you did. I am sure that you used skills that could be transferable

Also, try not to be too hard on others - they are only trying to help in their way. Expect the usual "why not go into business for yourself", start a company/consultancy, become a real estate agent, etc.

And definitely review this thread - lots of helpful hints and encouragement.

Best of Luck!!
Just to add, never be afraid to reach out to someone and ask for advice, coffee, networking, etc. If you know a friend of a friend knows someone at a company you're looking at, ask to be introduced. It is a tough market out there but there are a ton of nice people who want to help
MrButtons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2019, 10:03 AM   #322
Maritime Q-Scout
Ben

Exp:

In all seriousness, the biggest weakness in my abilities is looking for work.

I hate it, I hate writing cover letters, I hate updating my resume, I hate all of it.

Interviews no problem; I love doing work. But the actual act of putting an application package together annoys the hell out of me.

Captain, ever think of doing freelance where you do the monotonous boring stuff for the good people of CP?

"Calgary Flames is the best team in all the land" - My Brainwashed Son
Maritime Q-Scout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2019, 10:08 AM   #323
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maritime Q-Scout View Post
In all seriousness, the biggest weakness in my abilities is looking for work.

I hate it, I hate writing cover letters, I hate updating my resume, I hate all of it.

Interviews no problem; I love doing work. But the actual act of putting an application package together annoys the hell out of me.

Captain, ever think of doing freelance where you do the monotonous boring stuff for the good people of CP?

I'd feel guilty about asking for cash from someone that's not working. I'm always willing to help and or spitball if someone needs an other eye or ideas or wants me to review or look at what they're doing. Anyone can feel free to PM me anytime.

Look on my Works, ye Mighty, and despair!
CaptainCrunch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2019, 11:27 AM   #324
DoubleF
Franchise Player

Exp:

I don't know if this is too obvious, but sitting down with someone over beers or coffee and just venting everything out does help. I often say an interview is like a date. The opposite is true as well. Layoffs, resignation, firings etc. are like breakups. Some people just want to disappear, others want to look for an immediate rebound.

I'm sitting down with a friend's second layoff now. Both of us agree that stepping away for a bit is not a good idea, personality wise for her and in general for odds of being hired. Every day you're further away from the last date of employment is just more uphill battle to overcome and a really hard question to answer in an interview. For her, we've set a plan to go gung ho prepping and applying for 3-5 jobs, then she will take 2-3 weeks off evaluating both the layoff and the application processes/interviews if any and contemplating the whole ordeal before steadily applying for jobs again if nothing comes out of the initial 3-5 applications. The main intent for her was to keep her foot in the door somewhere without taking too many steps down in role even if it's in a different industry. It's far harder to find a job without a job.
DoubleF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2019, 11:32 AM   #325
Maritime Q-Scout
Ben

Exp:

Today I applied for a new position through a recruitment company.

I got an email back thanking me for my application and that only those that will receive an interview will be contacted. They also gave me a questionnaire to "help me with my job search".

My question is: I feel like I should reply just to say thank you and I look forward to hearing from them regarding an interview.

Is that reasonable? Is there something specific I should say?

Old 06-20-2019, 11:35 AM   #326
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

Quote:
Today I applied for a new position through a recruitment company.

I got an email back thanking me for my application and that only those that will receive an interview will be contacted. They also gave me a questionnaire to "help me with my job search".

My question is: I feel like I should reply just to say thank you and I look forward to hearing from them regarding an interview.

Is that reasonable? Is there something specific I should say?

I just want to clarify with you are you going to fill out the questionaire? What's in it?

In any email with contact information. I would thank them and look forward to hearing from them and then set a follow up time or date with the recruiter and see what kind of response you get back, and also to see if you can ask the age old question of "What else do you have"

Old 06-20-2019, 11:44 AM   #327
Maritime Q-Scout
Ben

Exp:

The questionnaire is self-reflective. At a glance it appears to be to put your thoughts of what you're looking for, and what you want down on paper (which is a good idea).

I will fill it out completely, if for no other reason than I'm just a nerd for learning and it could be good.

In terms of the email itself, would it be reasonable to ask when they believe they will be contacting for interviews? Additionally what other opportunities do they have?

Like:

Quote:
Thank you for the email and questionnaire. Do you have a timeline set on when you will be contacting for interviews? While this is an ideal position for me, are there any other opportunities that are available?
I'd punch it up a little, but something like that?

Old 06-20-2019, 12:43 PM   #328
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

Quote:
The questionnaire is self-reflective. At a glance it appears to be to put your thoughts of what you're looking for, and what you want down on paper (which is a good idea).

I will fill it out completely, if for no other reason than I'm just a nerd for learning and it could be good.

In terms of the email itself, would it be reasonable to ask when they believe they will be contacting for interviews? Additionally what other opportunities do they have?

Like:

I'd punch it up a little, but something like that?

If you can angle it to a discussion it would work.

I'd do something along the lines of

Thanks for the email and questionnaire, I'm really excited about this opportunity as it seems like a great fit for my skills and experience. I wanted to ask if your client has set a time line for this search, as I want to make sure that I can be available for any discussions. I was wondering if we could set up a quick call to discuss my skills and experience to see if there are any other opportunities that would be a good fit, please let me know what works for you.

Or something like that.

Old 06-20-2019, 01:22 PM   #329
Maritime Q-Scout
Ben

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainCrunch View Post
If you can angle it to a discussion it would work.

I'd do something along the lines of

Thanks for the email and questionnaire, I'm really excited about this opportunity as it seems like a great fit for my skills and experience. I wanted to ask if your client has set a time line for this search, as I want to make sure that I can be available for any discussions. I was wondering if we could set up a quick call to discuss my skills and experience to see if there are any other opportunities that would be a good fit, please let me know what works for you.

Or something like that.
I really like that. Thank you.

Next time I'm in Calgary I'm buying you a beer for that post.

I mean, no clue when that will be, but someday. Beer is on me.

Old 06-20-2019, 01:58 PM   #330
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

no worries it would be a pleasure

Old 09-23-2019, 10:58 AM   #331
jeffporfirio
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffporfirio View Post
Has anyone here gone through the Higher Landing program?
I went to the intro session today, and they sell it as a career transformation program. Its a 2 month program, with everything from career coaching to resume building, and ending in a "shark tank" scenario where local CEOs interview/critique you (they call them "Grizzlies"). Its government sponsored, if you get selected, and they claim a 70% success ratio in landing you in the career you best fit in and should succeed in.
Anyhow, just looking for comments from anyone who has gone through it.
Just an update. I'm about to finish the program, although not a complete waste of time, its definitely not what they sell.

Its more of a marketing course of yourself. The program is structured into classes, clinics and meetings with a coach.

The classes are very basic, I would say more targeted towards new immigrants or new graduates.

The clinics are led by program alumni. They are truly depressing and a colossal waste of time. Its basically people who have gone through the program, are still unemployed and struggling, and at the same time trying to motivate.

The coach is the only useful part of the program. The Coach helps you with your resume, mock interviews, contacts, etc

Lastly, they make you go through a 'grizzly den' (sort of like dragon's den), to pitch yourself.

My two cents.
If you're really not doing anything, and have nothing going, go for it, it's government funded anyways. If you're confident on your job search skills, it might be to simple for you and to much of a time commitment.
jeffporfirio is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
job search , jobs , unemployed