Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-22-2019, 12:41 PM   #1
MoneyGuy
Franchise Player

Exp:
Default Cub Cadet snowthrower

It starts but immediately stalls. Is there a ball or something that can be lodged in the wrong place to prevent gasoline from flowing? Any advice appreciated.
MoneyGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2019, 12:50 PM   #2
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Pull off the air filter and see if it runs. If so, clean out or replace the filter.
Fuzz is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Fuzz For This Useful Post:
Old 09-22-2019, 02:43 PM   #3
jmac98
Scoring Winger

Exp:

I don’t know a lot about this stuff, however, at the beginning of summer my lawnmower was doing the same thing you described. I found someone on kijiji to do a tune up for $50 or so and it fixed the problem right up. I remember the fellow was saying aside from changing the air filter that components can just gum up over time and needs a thorough clean. Perhaps you’re having a similar issue and a tune up is all you need.
Best of luck. Feel free to come test it on my driveway this winter.
jmac98 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to jmac98 For This Useful Post:
Old 09-22-2019, 04:16 PM   #4
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Ya, if it is not the air filter it's most likely a gummed up carb. Not super hard to clean up if you are OK with disassembly. The issue these days is they put ethanol in our gas, and that tends to gel up after months of sitting. The solution is to always use a stabilizer before storage and run it for a little bit to let it run through, and try not to leave any fuel in it. The other one is buy Shell premium. As far as I know it is one of the only ones without ethanol. Since I switched to that I haven't had a problem in my mower, other than the clogged air filter which showed similar symptoms. The difference was with the air filter it would run for a few seconds, where the gummed carb was about a second.
Fuzz is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Fuzz For This Useful Post:
Old 09-22-2019, 08:28 PM   #5
Scoring Winger

Exp:

^^^
This. I use Shell Premium in my lawnmower. Bought it new in 1998, have never had to pull the carb, still running strong

Remove & disassemble the carb, clean all the bits with some carb cleaner and re- assemble

If you’re not comfortable with that, try removing the air cleaner and spraying some carb cleaner into the throat while starting / running it. Sometimes that can solve the issue.
#22 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to #22 For This Useful Post:
Old 09-23-2019, 10:15 AM   #6
Hessen
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

Last winter mine would not start. I changed out the gas in it and it worked.
Hessen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2019, 10:39 AM   #7
Flacker
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuzz View Post
Ya, if it is not the air filter it's most likely a gummed up carb. Not super hard to clean up if you are OK with disassembly. The issue these days is they put ethanol in our gas, and that tends to gel up after months of sitting. The solution is to always use a stabilizer before storage and run it for a little bit to let it run through, and try not to leave any fuel in it. The other one is buy Shell premium. As far as I know it is one of the only ones without ethanol. Since I switched to that I haven't had a problem in my mower, other than the clogged air filter which showed similar symptoms. The difference was with the air filter it would run for a few seconds, where the gummed carb was about a second.

Yeah an easy start and then immediately dies, is a clogged idle jet. The jet that draws fuel and primes for starting is a larger diameter, so it get an initial shot of fuel and starts, but the idle jet is plugged so it won't stay running. Carb cleaner to the rescue!

As noted be sure to buy a premium fuel with no ethanol, small engine repair shops must love ethanol fuel. Gums up all of the inner workings of the carb, when left for any period of time.
Flacker is offline   Reply With Quote