Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 01-16-2019, 08:24 AM   #21
White Out 403
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ken0042 View Post
I live in Copperfield, and as others have said it really depends on where you are. Close to the Tim Hortons/ Shell- yes it can be bad there. Further south, occasionally notice it.

I'd be more cautious about being too close to Stoney. One of my top 3 reasons for moving from one part of Copperfield to another was Stoney. The plans all show a noise burm that was supposed to be built, and then was scrapped.

Ok so help me out here, I know nothing of copperfield. Can you draw on that map areas to avoid? It would be amazingly helpful.
White Out 403 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2019, 08:32 AM   #22
Flabbibulin
Franchise Player

Exp:

edit- nm, someone might get offended.

Last edited by Flabbibulin; 01-16-2019 at 08:38 AM.
Flabbibulin is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Flabbibulin For This Useful Post:
Old 01-16-2019, 08:48 AM   #23
CroFlames
Franchise Player

Exp:

New Brighton smells occasionally, but likely not enough to deter you from anything.

Copperfield rarely.

Mahogany, never.

The worst area is 52nd St between basically 106 ave and 130th ave consistently smell. The further you are from that area, the less it'll smell.

Mahogany is a touch pricier than the other two, but given the economy right now I'm sure there are deals to be snagged.
CroFlames is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to CroFlames For This Useful Post:
Old 01-16-2019, 08:51 AM   #24
4X4
One of the Nine

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by PepsiFree View Post
In all seriousness: Can I ask why so far away?
So far from what? Trolling for another inner city vs. suburbia debate? I get it. You're one of those people that lives in a little bubble where everyone works downtown and wants to walk to the bar every night.

Got some breaking news for you, Pepsi: some people would rather live close to schools (new ones) in newer homes that require less maintenance, with more square footage, close to shopping centres, and pay less money on their mortgage.

I know, it's a tough concept to comprehend, but I'm sure you'll be able to figure it out one day. Keep trying, bud.
4X4 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to 4X4 For This Useful Post:
Old 01-16-2019, 08:56 AM   #25
Rhettzky
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by White Out 403 View Post
Ok so help me out here, I know nothing of copperfield. Can you draw on that map areas to avoid? It would be amazingly helpful.
I would say as far south (away from the dump) and then as far west of Stoney as well (noise and the ponds east of the TUC).
Old 01-16-2019, 09:05 AM   #26
you&me
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Are there no quick possession homes available from builders? I would imagine there is A LOT of new inventory out there and a builder would be willing to cut a deal... You might even be able to negotiate some upgrades, etc.

We just went through a similar situation last year... We looked and looked and couldn't find anything that suited our needs. We instead chose to rent until we either find what we want, or we're now leaning towards building. The cost of our rent is a little less than half what the mortgage payments would be, but - to steal a phrase - I'd rather cut off my own dick than spend a f-ton of money on a house that wasn't suitable for what we need...

Opinions will vary, but I'm extremely happy with our situation. I know my monthly nut is a lot less than it would be if we owned, and I have don't have any "not owning my home" anxiety, which typically stems from a FOMO on market appreciation... I have far better places to put what would be my downpayment than the Calgary housing market right now.
you&me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2019, 09:09 AM   #27
Old Yeller
First Line Centre

Exp:

I'd include Sundance in your search, it's a large community with a lot of inventory and it's just on the other side of fish creek valley so it would take you all of 5 minutes on Stoney to get to the in-laws.

Good luck, house hunting is awful until it's all of a sudden totally worth it.
Old Yeller is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Old Yeller For This Useful Post:
Old 01-16-2019, 09:09 AM   #28
dsavillian
First Line Centre

Exp:

I've lived in NB for 5 years now and smelled the dump maybe twice when I was at home...

Driving home down 52nd is bad once in a while though.
Old 01-16-2019, 09:13 AM   #29
KTrain
ALL ABOARD!

Exp:

You might want to consider dropping your square footage requirement to 1700-1800ish and look for one that has a finished basement. You'll find a lot more inventory and still get to ~2400sqf.

I'm over in Elgin (neighbourhood across from Copperfield and NB). I've noticed a smell once or twice in 10 years living here. There is some along 52nd by 114 Ave. There's a reason it's called the Stinky Sprint on Strava.

Last edited by KTrain; 01-16-2019 at 09:16 AM.
KTrain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2019, 09:24 AM   #30
LanceUppercut
Scoring Winger

Exp:

I'm in the center of New Brighton, I very rarely smell anything now. 4-5 years ago it seemed a lot more common.

EDIT: One other thing to consider, the community fees in New Brighton seems a bit high for what we actually get from them. I'm not sure what Copperfield's fees might be or what their amenities are compared to NB though. We pay around $330 a year.

Uh... Lance Uppercut.
LanceUppercut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2019, 09:26 AM   #31
troutman
Unfrozen Caveman Lawyer

Exp:

Any escape might help to smooth
The unattractive truth
But the suburbs have no charms to soothe
The ceaseless smells of poo
troutman is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to troutman For This Useful Post:
Old 01-16-2019, 09:33 AM   #32
Bunk
Franchise Player

Exp:

On the topic of new suburbs - you south Calgary guys, just curious your thoughts on the location of a new community we're going to be breaking ground on shortly - in the "Providence" area in SW Calgary.

Is this a choice location in the south half of the city in your view?

- SW location near Fish Creek Park
- Access to SWRR via 2 interchanges
- Planned 162nd Avenue Transitway (dedicated bus lanes to LRT), SWBRT extension to here
- City and mountain views
- Mixed use commercial/civic centre (think a better version of McKenzie Towne or Seton commercial areas)

Most streets will have lanes - this allows for tree-lined streets, strong curb appeal for houses, better ground floor layouts. No streetscapes characterized by a sea of front garage doors and no lawn/trees. High end houses will have a 'wide-shallow' format, including some rear-attached garages as a result. We also have number of blocks where homes actually front a green space network, rather than streets - called Green Courts (image below). Open space and streetscapes will be very pleasant and walkable. A bit more of an inner city form, but more affordable.

There will be employment uses east of 37th along the Ring Road.

Thoughts?
Old 01-16-2019, 09:36 AM   #33
CroFlames
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bunk View Post
On the topic of new suburbs - you south Calgary guys, just curious your thoughts on the location of a new community we're going to be breaking ground on shortly - in the "Providence" area in SW Calgary.

\

Is this a choice location in the south half of the city in your view?

- SW location near Fish Creek Park
- Access to SWRR via 2 interchanges
- Planned 162nd Avenue Transitway (dedicated bus lanes to LRT), SWBRT extension to here
- City and mountain views
- Mixed use commercial/civic centre (think a better version of McKenzie Towne or Seton commercial areas)

Most streets will have lanes - this allows for tree-lined streets, strong curb appeal for houses, better ground floor layouts. No streetscapes characterized by a sea of front garage doors and no lawn/trees. High end houses will have a 'wide-shallow' format, including some rear-attached garages as a result. We also have number of blocks where homes actually front a green space network, rather than streets - called Green Courts (image below). Open space and streetscapes will be very pleasant and walkable. A bit more of an inner city form, but more affordable.

There will be employment uses east of 37th along the Ring Road.

Thoughts?

Approved. Please proceed.
CroFlames is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to CroFlames For This Useful Post:
Old 01-16-2019, 09:40 AM   #34
Travis Munroe
Realtor®

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by White Out 403 View Post
I think our next move is to start offering people 8% below list and try and get 5-6% below asking and see if a long bomb hits. I've put on the FIFA 14 soundtrack and am back at work on the realtor sites.
Out of curiosity, is your realtor not able to get you the thoughts of their clients who live in the area? It sounds like this smell thing is a big concern of yours which should be looked into.

Between the shotgun approach at a good deal and not being confident in which areas could be a problem for you, I too would suggest a short term rental and finding a place you know you will like. Buying only to resell on the near future is a big inconvenience as well as cost!

I was in Mahogony over the weekend looking at some show homes and prices don't seem to have changed much.

OFFICIAL CP REALTOR & PROPERTY MANAGER
Travis Munroe | Century 21 Elevate | 403.971.4300

Residential Buying & Selling
info@tmunroe.com
www.tmunroe.com

Property Management
travis@mpmCalgary.com
www.mpmCalgary.com
Travis Munroe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2019, 09:44 AM   #35
Weitz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Would people really be interested in the front of their house being onto a green space like that? Doesn't appeal to me in the slightest.

Side question: whats the timeline on breaking ground for development and the first house being moved in?
Weitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2019, 09:45 AM   #36
Travis Munroe
Realtor®

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bunk View Post

Thoughts?
Solid location IMO. Less than a 5 minute drive to borderline inner city homes that have been around for 60+ years and with the ring road, accessibility throughout the city should be quite good. Reminds me of a Tuscany in terms of proximity to things in relation to the other newer areas.

It also seems like an area that could demand a bit of a premium if the area is done right similar to what Mahogany has done!

OFFICIAL CP REALTOR & PROPERTY MANAGER
Travis Munroe | Century 21 Elevate | 403.971.4300

Residential Buying & Selling
info@tmunroe.com
www.tmunroe.com

Property Management
travis@mpmCalgary.com
www.mpmCalgary.com

Last edited by Travis Munroe; 01-16-2019 at 09:53 AM.
Travis Munroe is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Travis Munroe For This Useful Post:
Old 01-16-2019, 09:48 AM   #37
PepsiFree
Participant
Participant

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4X4 View Post
So far from what? Trolling for another inner city vs. suburbia debate? I get it. You're one of those people that lives in a little bubble where everyone works downtown and wants to walk to the bar every night.

Got some breaking news for you, Pepsi: some people would rather live close to schools (new ones) in newer homes that require less maintenance, with more square footage, close to shopping centres, and pay less money on their mortgage.

I know, it's a tough concept to comprehend, but I'm sure you'll be able to figure it out one day. Keep trying, bud.
...that escalated quickly.

I was just asking, as Seton is as far away as you can get from central, so if you have to get anywhere north of the inner city, you’re in for a long commute and don’t have a train line to help with that. He gave a good reason (close to family) and you’ll notice I didn’t press the issue. The reason for asking was that, if it was just financial, there are other pockets in the city that might meet his needs and I was hoping to provide some insight from my own search to alleviate some stress (since as I said, house hunting SUCKS).

I don’t even live inner city, we bought just north of Dalhousie after being priced out of the inner city and I love it. Takes me 20-30 to drive to work and a 40-50 transit commute. Easy on the trigger finger, bud.
PepsiFree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2019, 09:48 AM   #38
Bunk
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weitz View Post
Would people really be interested in the front of their house being onto a green space like that? Doesn't appeal to me in the slightest.

Side question: whats the timeline on breaking ground for development and the first house being moved in?
It's not for everyone, for certain (but only about 7-8% of the overall offering)

This example is from Stapleton in Denver. We have the same master urban designer. They've been quite successful there - it's low maintenance since it's owned and maintained by a condo/HOA. These little pods have quite a strong community feel.

Here's a few real life examples from there:

https://www.google.com/maps/place/St...4d-104.8907792

https://www.google.com/maps/place/St...4d-104.8907792

https://www.google.com/maps/@39.7916...7i13312!8i6656

Timeline is construction throughout 2020, with first occupancies Spring 2021.
Old 01-16-2019, 09:48 AM   #39
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Travis Munroe View Post
Solid location IMO. Less than a 5 minute drive to borderline inner city homes that have been around for 60+ years and with the ring road, accessibility throughout the city should be quite good. Reminds me of a Tuscany in terms of proximity to things in relation to the other newer areas.

It also seems like an area that could demand a bit of a premium if the area is done right similar to what Mahogany has done!
You and I have different opinions on what "inner city" is, I suppose... I mean, surly that's north of Glenmore, at minimum, right?
Fuzz is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Fuzz For This Useful Post:
Old 01-16-2019, 09:51 AM   #40
undercoverbrother
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Yeller View Post
I'd include Sundance in your search, it's a large community with a lot of inventory and it's just on the other side of fish creek valley so it would take you all of 5 minutes on Stoney to get to the in-laws.

Good luck, house hunting is awful until it's all of a sudden totally worth it.
We looked in Sundance and Midnapore in summer of 2017 when we moved.

We found the homes in the two communities were either:

1: Renovated and the seller wanted too much
2: No renovated and the costs to do so were too much

We moved to Auburn Bay, got a good deal on a 7 yr old house that only needed changes we wanted to make. I was pro-Sundance (3 levels of public school in the community) but then I started running the math and it wasn't worth it.

Corporal Jean-Marc H. BECHARD, 6 Aug 1993

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sliver View Post
Just ignore me...I'm in a mood today.
undercoverbrother is offline   Reply With Quote