Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum

Old 01-14-2019, 12:35 PM   #41
JackIsBack
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheSquatch View Post
Yamamoto and a first for James Neal.

That actually would be good for them. James Neal on McDavid's line... Neal may just rekindle his past goal scoring touch.
JackIsBack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2019, 12:36 PM   #42
Flash Walken
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainCrunch View Post
This decision isn't coming from Chia, this is Katz all the way.

Are the Oilers having revenue problems and need the playoff revenue?

Are they worried about season ticket sales and box renewals for next year?

Does two games of playoff revenue make any kind of difference?
This is actually a huge underreported factor

Quote:
For Daryl Katz and his Edmonton Oilers franchise, this is a massively important business year and, suddenly, that’s the developing story behind the story of what’s going on with this once again nose-diving team.

Sunday, the Oilers traded three players and a draft choice and called up leading point-producer and goal-getter Joseph Gambardella from Bakersfield, hoping to get the attention of the team and find a short-term fix for an injury-riddled defence in almost total disarray and offence lacking secondary scoring before they flush a semi-successful start to the season away.

The moves are a reflection of the Oilers’ current crisis in the standings, brought on by a five-game losing streak. But there’s the potential to be a much bigger crisis than existed last year, when the team went from a 103-point season and Game 7 of the Pacific Division final to missing the playoffs for the 11th time in 12 years.

It’s the third year of the team playing in Rogers Place, and what makes it a developing business crisis is that a significant number of suites and premium seating inventory and all the season tickets are up for renewal at the end of the year.

With the Alberta economy in the toilet, it’s the worst possible time for the Oilers to go back into the tank.
Flash Walken is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Flash Walken For This Useful Post:
Old 01-14-2019, 12:37 PM   #43
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hockeyguy15 View Post
They have a young developing farward?
Came to say the same thing except I was going to spell it properly.

Rishaug alludes to the Cap crunch so even if they traded all of those things for a good forward they cant even afford to have that player on their roster.

They'd have to move salary out which makes this all a matter of polishing the brass on the Titanic because nobody is taking Lucic and if they move anyone else of actual value then they'll be no better off than they were when they started.

But by all means, go for it. It doesnt really matter if they trade that 1st or keep it, it wont move the needle one bit.

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
Locke is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2019, 12:41 PM   #44
GioforPM
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Firebot View Post
I can seriously see Chiarelly do a RNH for Simmonds trade, one for one, or a first round pick. Oilers fans should be worried, it does not look like he will be fired until at least the end of the year. Nothing better than a desperate Chia.
A first for Simmonds would work great for Philly, great for Simmonds (he'd pad his stats on McDavid's wing and then go UFA) and so badly for Edmonton off season.
GioforPM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2019, 12:42 PM   #45
kukkudo
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainCrunch View Post
This decision isn't coming from Chia, this is Katz all the way.

Are the Oilers having revenue problems and need the playoff revenue?

Are they worried about season ticket sales and box renewals for next year?

Does two games of playoff revenue make any kind of difference?
As I said earlier rumour is Katz wants playoffs this year no excuses.
kukkudo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2019, 12:42 PM   #46
Vinny01
Franchise Player

Exp:

What a great season so far.

Nothing would be better than trading an unprotected 1st for a rental and they miss the playoffs and win the lottery.
Vinny01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2019, 12:49 PM   #47
1991 Canadian
Scoring Winger

Exp:

I could very easily see the Oilers going after a Tyler Toffoli or Andreas Athanasiou type player.

Relatively young. A bit of term so they can sell it to their fans as not being just a rental. It would be a terrible deal for them in the long run, but I could see it happening.
1991 Canadian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2019, 12:55 PM   #48
SuperMatt18
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Locke View Post
Came to say the same thing except I was going to spell it properly.

Rishaug alludes to the Cap crunch so even if they traded all of those things for a good forward they cant even afford to have that player on their roster.
Oilers likely would be looking to include Spooner is my guess.

1st Overall
Puljujarvi - $925k (RFA)
Talbot - $4.2M (UFA)
Spooner - $3.1M (+1 year)

My guess is those are the names they are shopping and that is about $8.3M in cap space they could swap out then.

Edit: I wouldn't be surprised if they were shopping Klefbom too...4 years at $4.2M after this one.

Last edited by SuperMatt18; 01-14-2019 at 01:00 PM.
SuperMatt18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2019, 12:57 PM   #49
JackIsBack
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by kukkudo View Post
As I said earlier rumour is Katz wants playoffs this year no excuses.

Maybe McDavid wants this to... and will request a trade otherwise.

But more realistically would be the fact that I think Katz thinks that once he gets McDavid into the playoffs, he'll go beast mode and win them a round or two all on his own. Problem is.... I don't see McDavid having a playoff gear - he seems to play all out regardless if it's preseason, regular, or the playoffs (only one sample year there).
Old 01-14-2019, 12:58 PM   #50
Manhattanboy
Franchise Player

Exp:

In the recent history of pro sports is there a similar case of a franchise so grossly and completely ruining the career of a generational or quasi generational talent?
Manhattanboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2019, 12:59 PM   #51
keratosis
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperMatt18 View Post

1st Overall
Puljujarvi - $925k (RFA)
Talbot - $4.2M (UFA)

My guess is those are the names they are shopping and that is about $8.3M in cap space they could swap out then.
Besides the first, why would any team do them any favors?
keratosis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2019, 01:03 PM   #52
GreenLantern2814
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by JackIsBack View Post
Maybe McDavid wants this to... and will request a trade otherwise.

But more realistically would be the fact that I think Katz thinks that once he gets McDavid into the playoffs, he'll go beast mode and win them a round or two all on his own. Problem is.... I don't see McDavid having a playoff gear - he seems to play all out regardless if it's preseason, regular, or the playoffs (only one sample year there).
I bet McDavid does have a playoff gear, it's clear he has no choice but to empty the tank now because he plays on a team with three NHL forwards. If he played for the Bruins, he'd be ripping it up for 19 minutes a night.
GreenLantern2814 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2019, 01:04 PM   #53
GreenLantern2814
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manhattanboy View Post
In the recent history of pro sports is there a similar case of a franchise so grossly and completely ruining the career of a generational or quasi generational talent?
The Detroit Lions wasted the career of the best RB of all time and the best WR of his generation over the course of 25 years. That's pretty special.
GreenLantern2814 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to GreenLantern2814 For This Useful Post:
Old 01-14-2019, 01:05 PM   #54
SuperMatt18
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by keratosis View Post
Besides the first, why would any team do them any favors?
1st is potentially a lottery pick so that has a lot of value (and a McDavid injury down the stretch away from being a top 5 pick).

Puljujarvi would be a good buy low option IMO. I would not be surprised to see him bounce back away from that tire fire.

Talbot is just cap trade off for the rest of the year. If you were say a Philly or St. Louis I don't think they'd have an issue with seeing if Talbot can help with their goalie issues.

Spooner is the one where you'd probably have to add extra incentive since he has 1 year left after this one.

And the other part of this equation is it's not like it's a playoff team trading with the Oilers. It's likely a team looking to get rid of their own big contract or forward they don't think is part of the solution long term.

Last edited by SuperMatt18; 01-14-2019 at 01:08 PM.
SuperMatt18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2019, 01:06 PM   #55
JackIsBack
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:

1st Overall
Puljujarvi - $925k (RFA)
Talbot - $4.2M (UFA)

That's horrible.... besides the 1st overall. I definitely don't want Talbot or Spooner, however... if the deal is right (aka: I'm getting rid of my crap too or UFA's I can't sign)... I might consider taking Talbot and just eating that contract until the end of the year. Puljujarvi... that's a Curtis Lazar type project, was it just Edmonton... or is he flawed... he seems like a lazy player to me.
The Following User Says Thank You to JackIsBack For This Useful Post:
Old 01-14-2019, 01:07 PM   #56
JackIsBack
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenLantern2814 View Post
I bet McDavid does have a playoff gear, it's clear he has no choice but to empty the tank now because he plays on a team with three NHL forwards. If he played for the Bruins, he'd be ripping it up for 19 minutes a night.

Ok.... I can see that point... he doesn't seem to have gears in Edmonton.
Old 01-14-2019, 01:08 PM   #57
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

1st Overall
Puljujarvi - $925k (RFA)
Talbot - $4.2M (UFA)

Edit: I wouldn't be surprised if they were shopping Klefbom too...4 years at $4.2M after this one.
Yeah, but who would want any of the rest of that? Other than the 1st thats a bunch of garbage.

A guy who cant hack the worst team's Top 6 and doesnt have the skill-set for a Bottom 6 role, an expiring Talbot who really isnt much of an upgrade on anyone, someone might want him as a reliable backup for playoff insurance but thats not worth much and Ryan Spooner who is....well hes Ryan Spooner. He'll be better on anyone else's team than Edmonton but thats a lot of money for Ryan Spooner.

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
Locke is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2019, 01:11 PM   #58
Nsd1
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

I can see them overpaying to get Ferland. If I were an Oiler fan, I would be worried that they're letting Chia make this move.
Nsd1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2019, 01:12 PM   #59
sharkov
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Tampa’s gonna eff them in the a on this trade
Old 01-14-2019, 01:13 PM   #60
kukkudo
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:

1st Overall
Puljujarvi - $925k (RFA)
Talbot - $4.2M (UFA)

That looks a bunch of garbage if they are trying to get a legit top 6 forward. If they are looking for a Tarasenko type forward they would need to add the 2019 second round pick, and add Yamamoto.

2019 1st Pick
2019 2nd Pick
Puljujarvi - $925k (RFA)
YamaMoto
Talbot - $4.2M (UFA)
kukkudo is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to kukkudo For This Useful Post: