Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 11-10-2018, 10:37 AM   #181
Azure
Had an idea!

Exp:

So you think I'm jealous of their talent? I wouldn't say I am but like any other person that is a fan of the NHL I sure wouldn't mind getting paid millions of dollars to play a sport we all love.

I don't care that they complained in the back of an Uber. I just find what they specifically said a bit strange. Because I'm sure we all remember talking like that about our teachers in grade 5.
Azure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2018, 10:46 AM   #182
Poe969
Franchise Player

Exp:

Right now, there is 0% chance of me acting like that because I know a lot better but a drunk 27 year old me would have probably said a lot worse.

So yes, right now it's easy for me to take the high road I know that I wouldn't have and I understand that they did.
Old 11-10-2018, 11:02 AM   #183
CaptainYooh
Franchise Player

Exp:

Wow! This is really snowballing...

https://www.pressreader.com/canada/c...82527249456641
Old 11-10-2018, 11:07 AM   #184
PepsiFree
Participant
Participant

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Azure View Post
So you think I'm jealous of their talent? I wouldn't say I am but like any other person that is a fan of the NHL I sure wouldn't mind getting paid millions of dollars to play a sport we all love.

I don't care that they complained in the back of an Uber. I just find what they specifically said a bit strange. Because I'm sure we all remember talking like that about our teachers in grade 5.
And I remember hearing people in their early 20s, late 20s, 30s, 40s, 50s, and 60s talking like that this year, last year, the year before, and the year before.

Classifying this as “not normal” is super strange. And yeah, it’s not professional, but when I’m not at the office and I’m out with the boys I’m not being professional either. I can’t imagine how boring and how pent up you would be to live your life without speaking freely and just talking #### once in a while.
PepsiFree is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to PepsiFree For This Useful Post:
Old 11-10-2018, 11:10 AM   #185
PepsiFree
Participant
Participant

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainYooh View Post
Haha oh boy, Postmedia doubles down with a hit piece. Not sure that’s how to get your reporters back on the chartered flight.
PepsiFree is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to PepsiFree For This Useful Post:
Old 11-10-2018, 11:14 AM   #186
Joborule
Franchise Player

Exp:

And apparently Senators are the only team that allows them to fly with the team. So they're doing a good job in ensuring that's not the case anymore.
Joborule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2018, 11:18 AM   #187
CaptainYooh
Franchise Player

Exp:

To be fair, I don't think allowing press to travel with the team is such a good idea to begin with. If a team is playing bad, reporters have to cover that. Having them on the same plane with the players and coaches causes unnecessary stress and tension.
Old 11-10-2018, 11:54 AM   #188
Resolute 14
In the Sin Bin

Exp:

Quote:

It fascinates me that you are trying so hard to equate them to a kid in grade 5. It's as if you have to reduce someone all the way down to the equivalent of a nine year old in order to feel confident in your superiority.

Like I said, this is common in the real world. Especially when workers are within in a toxic atmosphere such as the Senators are presently.
Resolute 14 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Resolute 14 For This Useful Post:
Old 11-10-2018, 11:57 AM   #189
Resolute 14
In the Sin Bin

Exp:

As far as the Ottawa Citizen goes, no surprise there. The media never takes it well when teams start removing access. Retaliation begets retaliation.
Old 11-10-2018, 12:44 PM   #190
DeluxeMoustache

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Resolute 14 View Post
As far as the Ottawa Citizen goes, no surprise there. The media never takes it well when teams start removing access. Retaliation begets retaliation.
This to me is a problem. Who is going to be the adult in the situation?

Part of life is picking your battles, understanding when to step away.

If a team gives a reporter access, there is a level of trust. That person benefits professionally from that access. Now in this case, the reporter / Citizen made the decision to take information that was obtained in an objectionable way, and is damaging to the team and its players, and to expose it.

If I’m the team I do the same. The reporter and the paper made a decision to bite the hand that feeds them and should expect the team to reasonably be displeased.

Allowing a journalist access to the team charter is a courtesy. They still can have all of the normal media availabilities, just have to arrange their own travel. Boo hoo
DeluxeMoustache is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2018, 01:47 PM   #191
DeluxeMoustache

Exp:
icon53

Quote:
No I'm not.

But if I would be in that position I would at least try to adhere to a higher level of professionalism and if I had a complaint about my coaches I'd go talk to them and not mouth off like a 8 year old child.

These comments are not normal. They are not talking about coaching incompetence. They are talking about exhibiting behavior found in most elementary schools on a daily basis.

And don't act like that is normal. It is not.

This is out to lunch. Do you really think an individual on a professional hockey team that is struggling sticks his neck out to be the guy who tells the coach that his coaching stinks?

Even if the team approaches the coach together through the captain, there is some consensus building first. And part of that consensus building, if you live in the real world, happens somewhat organically in a number of informal conversations. Like this one.

Some people are sarcastic, some are edgy, some are squeaky clean and sayvthjngs in different ways. You say it’s not normal. You are right in the sense that this is not reflective of the majority of conversations they have. But it certainly is plausibly normal given the circumstances.

And I don’t think the players reasonably should think that a guy whose job is to drive is some dirtbag that is opportunistically spying in everyone in his car looking for an opportunity to find and share dirt. That’s not normal.

These guys are the best in the world at playing hockey, not top of their class in finishing school. There is a very high level of demand on them in terms of their physical work, organizations preach accountability to one another, and organizations hire coaches that the players have to trust in order to be successful, and have to probably tiptoe around sometimes to keep their ice time.
And suppose that coach is actually no good. It happens. They get frustrated

People talk about other people. They do so when they have something in common, a common goal, and the person who is supposed to be leading them to that goal seems to be hurting more than helping. But they still have to be respectful to them in their work setting.

People talk. It is normal
DeluxeMoustache is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to DeluxeMoustache For This Useful Post:
Old 11-10-2018, 06:39 PM   #192
Wormius
Franchise Player

Exp:

Is the Ottawa Citizen like the Calgary Sun or Vancouver Province?
Wormius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2018, 06:43 PM   #193
Oling_Roachinen
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wormius View Post
It’s owned by postmedia like those two, as well as the Calgary Herald and numerous other newspaper.
Oling_Roachinen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2018, 07:59 PM   #194
Jay Random
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wormius View Post
The Ottawa Citizen is a daily broadsheet newspaper owned by Postmedia. It is the exact counterpart of the Calgary Herald.

Nice try, though.
Old 11-10-2018, 08:00 PM   #195
Resolute 14
In the Sin Bin

Exp:

It's the equivalent of the Calgary Herald.
The Following User Says Thank You to Resolute 14 For This Useful Post:
Old 11-10-2018, 10:42 PM   #196
Wormius
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay Random View Post
The Ottawa Citizen is a daily broadsheet newspaper owned by Postmedia. It is the exact counterpart of the Calgary Herald.

Nice try, though.

I don’t follow. I am just surprised that they would go with an unprofessional tact like that.
Wormius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2018, 07:18 PM   #197
sureLoss
Some kinda newsbreaker!

Exp:

Ottawa Citizen now claiming a coordinated social media campaign was directed to attack them while lauding the team and owner Melnyk

https://ottawacitizen.com/news/local...box=1542415345

Quote:
The accounts then began liking and retweeting each other’s posts and in short order a narrative began to unfold beneath the Globe and Mail post: The Senators were victims and the media — specifically the Citizen and the Sun — had treated the organization unfairly.

But that conversation would start to unravel before the evening was done, with other Twitter users criticizing some of those accounts.

It wasn’t because the court of public opinion had decided definitively one way or the other, it was because there was something curious about some of the accounts pushing the narrative: They didn’t appear to be real people.

Following the publication of the initial Uber-video story, a review by this newspaper found at least 20 contrived Twitter accounts, seemingly created to launch a co-ordinated disinformation campaign and to attack media coverage of the Sens while lauding the team and its owner Eugene Melnyk.

At least seven of those accounts went offline — either deleted or having blocked their tweets from public view — after questions about their authenticity were raised. The remaining accounts also stopped tweeting.

The episode, experts say, opens a window into how social media can be weaponized by unknown actors, even in a low-stakes environment.
sureLoss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2018, 07:23 PM   #198
jlh2640
First Line Centre

Exp:

Lol that team I tell ya
jlh2640 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2018, 07:26 PM   #199
Joborule
Franchise Player

Exp:

This is Lowe Oilers level bad.

Which begs the question, which is the more embarrassing franchise? Edmonton, or Ottawa?
Joborule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2018, 07:47 PM   #200
Cecil Terwilliger
That Crazy Guy at the Bus Stop

Exp:

Or the Ottawa Citizen created the fake twitter accounts to badmouth themselves so they could publish this fake “gotcha” article two weeks later and get more page views and cover up their own scumbag reporter buying the video.
Cecil Terwilliger is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Cecil Terwilliger For This Useful Post: