Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Closed Thread

Old 01-21-2019, 07:12 AM   #6901
Resolute 14
In the Sin Bin

Exp:

The only downside to last night's loss is that it makes it less likely the Oilers throw away Bouchard or Puljujarvi and their first rounder on a rental in a futile bid to make the playoffs.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Resolute 14 For This Useful Post:
Old 01-21-2019, 07:24 AM   #6902
Geeoff
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Resolute 14 View Post
The only downside to last night's loss is that it makes it less likely the Oilers throw away Bouchard or Puljujarvi and their first rounder on a rental in a futile bid to make the playoffs.
Also, makes it more likely they will can Chiarelli...

But maybe one step closer to GM Wayne Gretzky?
Old 01-21-2019, 07:34 AM   #6903
transplant99
Fearmongerer

Location: Wondering when # became hashtag and not a number sign.
Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geeoff View Post
Also, makes it more likely they will can Chiarelli...

But maybe one step closer to GM Wayne Gretzky?

Keith Gretzky maybe, more likely Duane Sutter or MacTavish but no way Wayne takes that job.
Old 01-21-2019, 07:35 AM   #6904
SOMBRI2
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by FireGilbert View Post
This gem from Spector gets posted regularly but looking at the calendar it is worth posting again. 2 years ago today the Oilers beat the Gulutzen Flames 7-3 and someone started to get cocky...

https://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/nhl/...attle-alberta/
The hilarious thing is, eVerything he said still applies, he just accidentally swapped the two subjects. Cherry on the top is they also hired that coach of the subject team.

Sent from my SM-G935W8 using Tapatalk
Old 01-21-2019, 07:53 AM   #6905
Burner
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by SOMBRI2 View Post
The hilarious thing is, eVerything he said still applies, he just accidentally swapped the two subjects. Cherry on the top is they also hired that coach of the subject team.

Sent from my SM-G935W8 using Tapatalk
and Brossoit is doing pretty well in Winnipeg
Old 01-21-2019, 07:54 AM   #6906
bubbsy
Franchise Player

Exp:

^^^ what's even more funny, is in an offseason when the garbage oilers from the season before, didn't really have any actual roster turnover, most oiler media/fans thought bringing in new assistants like GG would help a lot.

gulutzan sucks, so glad he is out of the flames org.
Old 01-21-2019, 07:57 AM   #6907
JackIsBack
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheRealPepma
Bet 97 and 29 are excited to be surrounded by 'winners' in the upcoming days...#allstarszn

Quote:
Originally Posted by getbak View Post
I hope Peters benches them both.

I hope NOT.... I hope Peters shows them both what a winning attitude is like (again), shows them what a real classy organization in the NHL would be like playing for. I hope they both go back to Edmonton afterwards and request to be traded.
The Following User Says Thank You to JackIsBack For This Useful Post:
Old 01-21-2019, 08:09 AM   #6908
MillerTime GFG
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by FireGilbert View Post
This gem from Spector gets posted regularly but looking at the calendar it is worth posting again. 2 years ago today the Oilers beat the Gulutzen Flames 7-3 and someone started to get cocky...

https://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/nhl/...attle-alberta/

Just tweeted him this article, because why not. His cockiness deserves it.
The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to MillerTime GFG For This Useful Post:
Old 01-21-2019, 08:23 AM   #6909
SixtySix
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cali Panthers Fan View Post
BOOOOOO!!!

Barkov helps a team win a lot more than McDavid does. Puts up near a point per game, which obviously isn't McDavid level, but here's the thing: Barkov is an elite defensive forward who routinely plays the hardest minutes and often wins that battle. Connor floats on defense, full stop. Oh, and he wins faceoffs. Lots and lots of faceoffs. Connor still has his winger take draws for him. One last thing, Barkov is NEVER satisfied with his game, and is constantly working on things in the off-season to be a better player every single year. McDavid seems to have stagnated, meaning he isn't improving the deficiencies in his game the way he needs to.

I think Barkov is more of a franchise centerman than McDavid (yes I'm biased, but I just don't like McDavid's overall game). Plus, he makes just $5.9 million for another few years (and then I'm sure he'll get a significant raise) so his salary allows for more money to be spread around to other positions. Pretty important for a cash poor team like Florida.

I'd think long and hard about a 1 for 1 swap. Not sure I would do it, and I definitely wouldn't do any deal with Lucic included. Nobody would.

That's not even getting into Ekblad who is a solid average to above average defender who puts up points, especially goals. What are we getting back for our cornerstone franchise defenseman who is still just 22 years old? Bupkis. Basically you're saying that McDavid is worth two franchise players in return. No way.

Then we also have to throw in top prospects and draft picks for the privilege of Connor's incomplete game and Lucic's anchor contract. F that.

The Panthers are having a rough year, mostly because their goaltending has been letting them down, but they're much better set up for success in the near future than the Oilers are. That trade would sewer the franchise for the foreseeable future.

Awful awful awful.
McDavid is the best player in the world hard carrying an AHL quality roster to a better record than the Panthers so far, and is practically a sure bet to turn any team into a contender barring severely incompetent management. There is literally no player that even comes relatively close in terms of who you would want to build a franchise around at this point in time. Stating that you're "not sure" if you'd even trade Barkov for him is the type of thing other fanbases quote to laugh at and is a little embarrassing. It's really okay to admit the reality of what McDavid is, because once you do it makes the Oilers still being a dumpster fire 10x more hilarious and pathetic.
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to SixtySix For This Useful Post:
Old 01-21-2019, 08:37 AM   #6910
CedarMeter
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by MillerTime GFG View Post
Just tweeted him this article, because why not. His cockiness deserves it.
I've posted this before. It's my favorite Specs article. One decent playoff run and he thinks they're a Stanley Cup caliber team. Sorry Mark but your team is still a joke.

https://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/nhl/...-stanley-cups/
Old 01-21-2019, 08:48 AM   #6911
Textcritic
Acerbic Cyberbully

Exp:
Default Edmonton is No Good VI: Chia•den•freu•de

Quote:
Originally Posted by SixtySix View Post
McDavid is the best player in the world hard carrying an AHL quality roster to a better record than the Panthers so far, and is practically a sure bet to turn any team into a contender barring severely incompetent management. There is literally no player that even comes relatively close in terms of who you would want to build a franchise around at this point in time. Stating that you're "not sure" if you'd even trade Barkov for him is the type of thing other fanbases quote to laugh at and is a little embarrassing. It's really okay to admit the reality of what McDavid is, because once you do it makes the Oilers still being a dumpster fire 10x more hilarious and pathetic.
I think you are looking past what CPF is saying: yes, he exaggerates, but it is important to note that while McDavid is the best offensive player in the world, his game has some glaring flaws which would be missed by swapping Barkov out for him. McDavid does not kill penalties, and he is below average in his own zone. Without question, exchanging Barkov for McDavid would come with the deficiencies that McDavid has in important areas in which Barkov excels. They would miss that. Is it enough of a sacrifice to make this trade worth their while? On paper, for sure, but I would imagine they should think long and hard about whether this exchange makes their team better. That certainly is debatable.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote:
Originally Posted by woob
"...harem warfare? like all your wives dressup and go paintballing?"
"The Lying Pen of Scribes" Ancient Manuscript Forgeries Project

Last edited by Textcritic; 01-21-2019 at 09:06 AM.
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Textcritic For This Useful Post:
Old 01-21-2019, 08:51 AM   #6912
sleepingmoose
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CedarMeter View Post
I've posted this before. It's my favorite Specs article. One decent playoff run and he thinks they're a Stanley Cup caliber team. Sorry Mark but your team is still a joke.

Good thing they got rid of that anchor Eberle.....
Old 01-21-2019, 08:54 AM   #6913
GioforPM
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Textcritic View Post
I think you are looking past what CPF is saying: yes, he exaggerates, but it is important to note that while McDavid is the best offensive player in the world, his game has some glaring flaws which would be missed by swapping Barkov out for him. McDavid does not kill penalties, and he is below average in his own zone. Without question, exchanging Barkov for McDavid would come with the deficiencies that McDavid has in important areas in which Barkov excels. They would miss that. Is it enough of a sacrifice to make this trade worth their while? On paper, for sure, but I would imagine they should think linag and hard about whether this exchange makes their team better. That certainly is debatable.

Plus, that doesn't even address contract, and the rest of that really lopsided trade. Why take Lucic? Why give up a top Dman? Why all the picks?

The funny thing is that it would probably make Edmonton no better. Barkov would be as alone as McDavid is now, and Ekblad would be the McDavid of the defence - carrying it by himself.
Old 01-21-2019, 08:59 AM   #6914
getbak
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CedarMeter View Post

The funniest thing is that they didn't even really have that decent of a playoff run. They were eliminated in the second round.

Sure, they pushed it to seven games, but in the end, they still lost in the second round.
Old 01-21-2019, 09:07 AM   #6915
corporatejay
Franchise Player

Exp:

Guys, this is dumb. McDavid is the best player in the world period, end of discussion.
Old 01-21-2019, 09:10 AM   #6916
Textcritic
Acerbic Cyberbully

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by corporatejay View Post
Guys, this is dumb. McDavid is the best player in the world period, end of discussion.
That is not the discussion.

Quote:
Originally Posted by woob
"...harem warfare? like all your wives dressup and go paintballing?"
"The Lying Pen of Scribes" Ancient Manuscript Forgeries Project
The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to Textcritic For This Useful Post:
Old 01-21-2019, 09:13 AM   #6917
TheScorpion
First round-bust

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by corporatejay View Post
Why?

No, seriously, why? Is it because Sportsnet told you he is?

By what metric is McDavid the best player in the world by such a margin to not even warrant any discussion?

Is it individual success? Nope, he's fourth in the scoring race, behind Kucherov, Gaudreau, and Rantanen. Team success? Nope, the Oilers are soon to be passed by the Arizona Coyotes.

McDavid has been hyped to oblivion to the point where even suggesting that he is individually fallible is somehow unacceptable. But McDavid isn't far-and-away the best at anything. He's not the best scorer, he's not the best two-way player, he's not the best at elevating his linemates (just ask Taylor Hall -- and then ask Conor Sheary).

He's phenomenal, yes, but this isn't a case of Crosby where he's always consistently better than all of his peers. McDavid is certainly a top-2/3 player, but it's nonsense to suggest that he's well ahead of anyone else, unless you're talking in terms of making money.

Old 01-21-2019, 09:14 AM   #6918
Red
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by getbak View Post
The funniest thing is that they didn't even really have that decent of a playoff run. They were eliminated in the second round.

Sure, they pushed it to seven games, but in the end, they still lost in the second round.
People forget how badly they were outplayed in games 1 and 2 in Anaheim. They were so lucky to be up 2-0 coming home.
And the Sharks were by far the worst playoff team. They had lost something like 10 of 12 to end the season. So many injuries. And they still took the Oilers to 6 games.

Any other team and the Oilers would have been out first round.
Old 01-21-2019, 09:19 AM   #6919
Red
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheScorpion View Post
Why?

No, seriously, why? Is it because Sportsnet told you he is?

By what metric is McDavid the best player in the world by such a margin to not even warrant any discussion?

Is it individual success? Nope, he's fourth in the scoring race, behind Kucherov, Gaudreau, and Rantanen. Team success? Nope, the Oilers are soon to be passed by the Arizona Coyotes.

McDavid has been hyped to oblivion to the point where even suggesting that he is individually fallible is somehow unacceptable. But McDavid isn't far-and-away the best at anything. He's not the best scorer, he's not the best two-way player, he's not the best at elevating his linemates (just ask Taylor Hall -- and then ask Conor Sheary).

He's phenomenal, yes, but this isn't a case of Crosby where he's always consistently better than all of his peers. McDavid is certainly a top-2/3 player, but it's nonsense to suggest that he's well ahead of anyone else, unless you're talking in terms of making money.
He doesn't even take draws. When he does he is terrible at it.

He is not strong on the boards.

He is super fast though. But far from a complete player.
Old 01-21-2019, 09:28 AM   #6920
You Need a Thneed
Voted for Kodos

Exp:

As of that Spector article, the Oilers has taken an insurmountable 9 point lead over the Flames, by March 14, the Flames were ahead of the Oilers, that same season - with even games played.