Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Other Sports: Football, Baseball, Local Hockey, Etc...
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-15-2018, 11:39 AM   #301
Jiggy_12
Franchise Player

Exp:

Stroman lost his arb case today and has sent out a few fairly dramatic tweets in reaction.

@MStrooo6
Lost arbitration. Is what it is. Looking forward to going out and dealing again. The negative things that were said against me, by my own team, will never leave my mind. I’m thick-skinned so it will only fuel the fire. Can’t wait for this year! #HDMH

@MStrooo6
I kill myself daily for my family, friends, fans, and teammates. Work ethic beyond elite. More of the same going forward. Less communication with anyone trying to take away from that. I’m turning all the way up this year! #HDMH

He's probably not wrong, but I cringe every time he acts like this publicly. Will be interesting to see what comes next from Jays/Stroman about this.
Jiggy_12 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Jiggy_12 For This Useful Post:
Old 02-15-2018, 11:44 AM   #302
KootenayFlamesFan
Commie Referee

Exp:

He doesn't seem that thick-skinned.

He's not happy, and that's fair, but when you go to arbitration you gotta expect that kind of stuff.
KootenayFlamesFan is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to KootenayFlamesFan For This Useful Post:
Old 02-15-2018, 12:28 PM   #303
cross16
Scoring Winger

Exp:

I don't know, I think Stroman is tough to reach on social media and people tend to look for cryptic message that arn't always there.

FWIW, here is another one

Marcus Stroman

Verified account

@MStrooo6
15m15 minutes ago
More
Just being real. Not mad at all. I’m aware of the business. Just opens your eyes going through the arbitration process. Second time going through it. Still love my team and the entire country of Canada. More upset that I had to fly to AZ and miss my Monday workout. Lol
cross16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2018, 12:37 PM   #304
Jiggy_12
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by cross16 View Post
I don't know, I think Stroman is tough to reach on social media and people tend to look for cryptic message that arn't always there.

FWIW, here is another one

Marcus Stroman

Verified account

@MStrooo6
15m15 minutes ago
More
Just being real. Not mad at all. I’m aware of the business. Just opens your eyes going through the arbitration process. Second time going through it. Still love my team and the entire country of Canada. More upset that I had to fly to AZ and miss my Monday workout. Lol
I feel like that's a PR backpeddle which he absolutely should do after that first initial reaction tweet. He's an emotional guy but he's also a smart guy, he knew exactly what he was saying and how it would be perceived but said it anyway. That's how I see it at least.

Hopefully it all just blows over. Still love the guy.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Jiggy_12 For This Useful Post:
Old 02-15-2018, 02:58 PM   #305
calculoso
Franchise Player

Exp:

Blue Jays sign Jaime Garcia to 1-year contract
https://www.thescore.com/mlb/news/1487174
calculoso is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to calculoso For This Useful Post:
Old 02-15-2018, 03:19 PM   #306
Jiggy_12
Franchise Player

Exp:

Jays get their 5th starter who can eat up some innings and just as important, gets Biagini out of the rotation (at least for now) and back in the bullpen which needs him.

Garcia is a capable MLB starter coming off a down year and injuries before that. A very low risk signing, but could work out well in that 5th starter slot.

He's pitched in post-season too, including starting game 2 of the 2011 WS which him and the Cards ended up winning.
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Jiggy_12 For This Useful Post:
Old 02-15-2018, 03:28 PM   #307
Jiggy_12
Franchise Player

Exp:

@ArdenZwelling
Jaime Garcia's a groundball lefty (56.2 career GB%) with a wide repertoire (four-seam, two-seam, change, curve, slider). Doesn't have overwhelming stuff (91-mph FB), but his 11.1% swinging strike rate last season is encouraging. A fine fifth starter who raises Blue Jays floor.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Jiggy_12 For This Useful Post:
Old 02-15-2018, 04:17 PM   #308
Gundo
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jiggy_12 View Post
Stroman lost his arb case today and has sent out a few fairly dramatic tweets in reaction.

@MStrooo6
Lost arbitration. Is what it is. Looking forward to going out and dealing again. The negative things that were said against me, by my own team, will never leave my mind. I’m thick-skinned so it will only fuel the fire. Can’t wait for this year! #HDMH

@MStrooo6
I kill myself daily for my family, friends, fans, and teammates. Work ethic beyond elite. More of the same going forward. Less communication with anyone trying to take away from that. I’m turning all the way up this year! #HDMH

He's probably not wrong, but I cringe every time he acts like this publicly. Will be interesting to see what comes next from Jays/Stroman about this.
He just won his arbitration case last year. I get he is mad but he signed the deal and already won one case. I mean as soon as this one is up he’s gonna make $20M plus somewhere easily.
Gundo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2018, 04:23 PM   #309
Karl
Franchise Player

Exp:

Jaime Garcia is a quality acquisition.
Karl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2018, 05:58 PM   #310
Parallex
I believe in the Jays.

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gundo View Post
He just won his arbitration case last year. I get he is mad but he signed the deal and already won one case. I mean as soon as this one is up he’s gonna make $20M plus somewhere easily.
The chip on Stroman's shoulder is getting mighty annoying.
Parallex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2018, 06:28 PM   #311
calculoso
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Parallex View Post
The chip on Stroman's shoulder is getting mighty annoying.
Little big man syndrome
calculoso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2018, 07:40 PM   #312
TheAlpineOracle
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jiggy_12 View Post

@MStrooo6

@MStrooo6

Stroman is a selfish clown. Would love to sell high on him. It’s not like we will be competing for a few years, and even if he turns into a perennial all-star (I don’t think he will), it’s not like we will open the purse strings to keep him.

I stopped following him on twitter like a year ago. I didn’t want to cheer against someone on my favorite team and his Twitter was doing just that.

Last edited by TheAlpineOracle; 02-15-2018 at 07:48 PM.
TheAlpineOracle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2018, 09:31 PM   #313
bluejays
Franchise Player

Exp:

I wish he just did his business and didn't tweet out everything, but what can you do? He's young enough that you don't sell high to rebuild, so you're stuck with him unless you want to deal him for a player of his same age. Despite his idiotic twitter account, it doesn't seem like he's despised by his teammates, so there's nothing to say he's a bad teammate - perhaps just annoying.
bluejays is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2018, 10:36 PM   #314
savemedrzaius
Help, save, whatever.

Exp:

See nothing wrong with what he posted. He basically said he disagrees with what management said and will use it as motivation for next season.
savemedrzaius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2018, 10:46 PM   #315
The Big Chill
I believe in the Jays.

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheAlpineOracle View Post
Stroman is a selfish clown. Would love to sell high on him. It’s not like we will be competing for a few years, and even if he turns into a perennial all-star (I don’t think he will), it’s not like we will open the purse strings to keep him.

I stopped following him on twitter like a year ago. I didn’t want to cheer against someone on my favorite team and his Twitter was doing just that.
What makes him a selfish clown?
The Big Chill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2018, 11:14 PM   #316
TheAlpineOracle
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Big Chill View Post
What makes him a selfish clown?
Follow him on Snapchat for a month and you’ll see. All about Marcus.
Old 02-15-2018, 11:17 PM   #317
TheAlpineOracle
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by fleury View Post
I wish he just did his business and didn't tweet out everything, but what can you do? He's young enough that you don't sell high to rebuild, so you're stuck with him unless you want to deal him for a player of his same age. Despite his idiotic twitter account, it doesn't seem like he's despised by his teammates, so there's nothing to say he's a bad teammate - perhaps just annoying.
We don’t know if he’s liked by his teammates are not, but he’s a little Bautista clone and we all know how much Bautista is liked around the league. He can’t even get an invite to a camp.

I’d be willing to sell because I think his value is as high now as it’s going to get. I’m not sold on Stroman despite his great season last year. If I was, I’d probably be more willing to tolerate his sideshow. I still think his lack of downward trajectory is going to catch up to him at some point, and I fear that he’s going to throw his arm out as a starter because he really needs velocity to excel given his stature, and it’s takes him every ounce of strength in him to get that velocity up where it needs to be for 7 innings. I’d bet he’s in the bullpen within a few years.

Last edited by TheAlpineOracle; 02-15-2018 at 11:35 PM.
The Following User Says Thank You to TheAlpineOracle For This Useful Post:
Old 02-15-2018, 11:19 PM   #318
TheAlpineOracle
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

I’m pretty excited about the Breslow addition to the pen.

Last edited by TheAlpineOracle; 02-15-2018 at 11:32 PM.
Old 02-16-2018, 12:48 AM   #319
Inferno
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by savemedrzaius View Post
See nothing wrong with what he posted. He basically said he disagrees with what management said and will use it as motivation for next season.
There's things as a professional athlete that you shouldn't make public and saying you'll never forget the things your current team said in an arbitration hearing is one of them. Saying that he lost and that he'll use it as motivation this year would have been enough and wouldn't make it look like he now has hard feelings towards the team.
Inferno is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Inferno For This Useful Post:
Old 02-16-2018, 02:46 AM   #320
Machiavelli
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheAlpineOracle View Post
Follow him on Snapchat for a month and you’ll see. All about Marcus.
His personal social media account is all about .....him? The horror!