Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-20-2019, 08:28 PM   #121
TheSquatch
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff Lebowski View Post
Andersson has been passing my eye test with flying colours for a while now. He's got his head up and beating like a 3 man press with a great pass to the middle to breakout.

He holds pucks in and finds guys for passes. He's starting to shoot more - the PP time will be huge. Defensively, he's been very good too, detailed and just competing hard.

So many good little plays all over the place.
Yep. Really impressed. Holds the line really well, good skater, smart player. I'm totally sold on the guy. Oh and a pretty big shot too which is a nice touch.
TheSquatch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2019, 08:29 PM   #122
GioforPM
Franchise Player

Exp:

Based on reports I was expecting him to be a lot slower than he is. He doesn't get beaten due to speed very often.
GioforPM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2019, 08:36 PM   #123
Strange Brew
Franchise Player

Exp:

^ I think awareness and anticipation are more important for a defender than actual speed. Actual footraces are rare.

If Andersson is slow, it doesn’t manifest very often from what I have seen.
Strange Brew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2019, 08:55 PM   #124
Sandman
Franchise Player

Exp:

He's also quite salty, which I didn't expect-doesn't back down in a scrum, likes to give out some facewashes, etc. We haven't seen anything close to his ceiling IMO.
Sandman is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Sandman For This Useful Post:
Old 01-20-2019, 09:09 PM   #125
FlamesAddiction
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Strange Brew View Post
^ I think awareness and anticipation are more important for a defender than actual speed. Actual footraces are rare.

If Andersson is slow, it doesn’t manifest very often from what I have seen.
True. A defenseman being a little slow isn't a huge issue if they don't put themselves out of position.
Old 01-20-2019, 09:33 PM   #126
Anduril
Franchise Player

Exp:

Other aspects to skating beyond speed and acceleration. Turning/pivot speed, footwork and general reaction time are all significant factors to whether a guy will be slow on the play or not.
Anduril is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2019, 09:35 PM   #127
Calgary4LIfe
Franchise Player

Exp:

He has been a LOT better than I gave him credit for. Going into his draft year, there was a list or two that had him in the top 10 (I think 8th) with Kylington in 2nd or 3rd, IIRC. After seeing a few camps with him, I felt he was a bit of a long-shot at becoming a top 4 defencemen, but was hoping he would get it together and eventually become an every day bottom pairing guy.

Yep, he has been proving me wrong this season. He has been stellar for the most part, with only relatively minor hiccups all season. He doesn't make me worry when he is out there (actually, none of the D this year make me worry when they are out there, including Valimaki and Kylington, and even Prout doing spot-duty has been fine).
Calgary4LIfe is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Calgary4LIfe For This Useful Post:
Old 01-20-2019, 09:51 PM   #128
Moneyhands23
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Man I hope they sign him to a 6 year 3.5/4 mil contract! Guy is sweet!
Moneyhands23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2019, 08:28 AM   #129
Husky
First Line Centre

Exp:

If andersson had better acceleration and overall speed he could be a top 25 D with potential.
Husky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2019, 08:38 AM   #130
PepsiFree
Participant
Participant

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Husky View Post
If andersson had better acceleration and overall speed he could be a top 25 D with potential.
As it is, he appears to be a guy who has a future in the Top 4, which everything considered, is absolutely fantastic.
PepsiFree is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to PepsiFree For This Useful Post:
Old 01-21-2019, 08:57 AM   #131
Jore
First Line Centre

Exp:

His ability to pick out and make the right pass in transition is already tops on the team (maybe next to Gio). Got a good repertoire of escape moves and deception against the forecheck that also reminds me of a young Gio. It's glorious to watch him sense the lanes open up and drive hard through the neutral zone for clean zone entries. Rarely see him make a mistake with the puck on his stick.

He still struggles, understandable given that he's a rookie, to contain big/skilled forwards and interrupt the cycle to get the puck out quickly, but I have full confidence that he will get there. He's already improved a bunch to my eye in his defensive positioning and 1 on 1 defense. He's just scratching the surface of his potential.

It sure is nice to have four 22 and under young defenders excelling in the league and getting better everyday instead of watching the likes of Bartkowski (infinite puking), Grossmann, Wideman, and Jokkipakka fail to execute the simplest hockey plays and bleed goals and shots against and get crushed every time they step on the ice. Still can't believe Bartkowski played 42 games for us when we were supposed to be competing for the playoffs, and also played 4 playoff games where his pairing with Engelland almost single handedly sunk us. Thanks Gulutzan
Jore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2019, 09:00 AM   #132
GioforPM
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jore View Post
His ability to pick out and make the right pass in transition is already tops on the team (maybe next to Gio). Got a good repertoire of escape moves and deception against the forecheck that also reminds me of a young Gio. It's glorious to watch him sense the lanes open up and drive hard through the neutral zone for clean zone entries. Rarely see him make a mistake with the puck on his stick.
I still think this is Hamonic. Watch him - how often does he flub a pass out of the zone? Not very often.

If Andersson can be Hamonic with a better shot, I'm pretty pleased.
GioforPM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2019, 09:10 AM   #133
Jore
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GioforPM View Post
I still think this is Hamonic. Watch him - how often does he flub a pass out of the zone? Not very often.

If Andersson can be Hamonic with a better shot, I'm pretty pleased.
Hamonic is excellent at getting the puck out reliably, that's true, but Andersson is better at getting the puck to players in dangerous positions on the breakout or on the reset in the neutral zone. I trust him to catch a player in stride in these situations a little more than Hamonic
Jore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2019, 09:34 AM   #134
Bunk
Franchise Player

Exp:

He’s a gamer. Not exceptional at any particular skill, but just smart and effective.
Old 01-21-2019, 09:42 AM   #135
cannon7
Needs More Cowbell

Exp:

He's actually progressed more slowly than I anticipated and Kylington is ahead of schedule. But both are going to force the Flames to make some tough decisions on the blueline. Very pleased with both.
cannon7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2019, 09:46 AM   #136
Bunk
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by cannon7 View Post
He's actually progressed more slowly than I anticipated and Kylington is ahead of schedule. But both are going to force the Flames to make some tough decisions on the blueline. Very pleased with both.
I really wonder what they do with Kylington. He's quite good and seems to have a high ceiling, but also we have Gio, Hanifin and Valimaki up the left side.

I wonder if Oliver moves to the right side, and we move out one of Hamonic or Brodie in the off-season?? No issues having Valimaki or Kylington finish out the year in Stockton this year, but would seem pointless next season, as both seem ready for full-time NHL responsibilities.

High class problems, I guess.
Old 01-21-2019, 10:01 AM   #137
JackIsBack
Scoring Winger

Exp:

I love our defense - years past, there was always that uneasy feeling when Gio or Brodie weren't out there... or when Gio was in the penalty box - an almost certainty that we give up a goal. But now... I really don't worry who is out there.

Over that last several years, our defense has always looked good on paper - now, they just are good.
JackIsBack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2019, 10:25 AM   #138
Bonded
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sandman View Post
He's also quite salty, which I didn't expect-doesn't back down in a scrum, likes to give out some facewashes, etc. We haven't seen anything close to his ceiling IMO.

That is my favorite part of his game. I think he chirps a lot and backs up his team mates
Bonded is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Bonded For This Useful Post:
Old 01-21-2019, 12:47 PM   #139
Boreal
First Line Centre

Exp:

On CHED, Stauffer was a little peeved that after the game Saturday Rasmus yelled down the hallway at the Oilers... to quote Bob...

“You ___ing suck.”

“You’re ___ing losers.”

Hahahah.... hahahaha!!

Love it.
Boreal is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 19 Users Say Thank You to Boreal For This Useful Post:
Old 01-21-2019, 12:52 PM   #140
Bonded
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by nobles_point View Post
On CHED, Stauffer was a little peeved that after the game Saturday Rasmus yelled down the hallway at the Oilers... to quote Bob...

“You ___ing suck.”

“You’re ___ing losers.”

Hahahah.... hahahaha!!

Love it.

Bonded is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Bonded For This Useful Post: