Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Closed Thread

Old 01-20-2019, 08:47 PM   #7561
savardandjokinen
son of looooob

Exp:

Kunitz sucks now
The Following User Says Thank You to savardandjokinen For This Useful Post:
Old 01-20-2019, 08:54 PM   #7562
dammage79
Franchise Player

Exp:

Kunitz today is like trading for Freddy Modin back in the day.
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to dammage79 For This Useful Post:
Old 01-20-2019, 10:33 PM   #7563
Calgary4LIfe
Franchise Player

Exp:

The only weakness on this team - if everyone is healthy - is that rotation with Czarnik and Magiapane. That's an area for an upgrade.

Other than that, it is just depth. This team needs a bit more depth, that's all. You don't want to mess up the chemistry. However, if the right offer comes along that makes sense, you bet that Treliving will jump at the chance to upgrade the team. I would just bet that he won't sell the farm on a rental.

Hopefully that depth comes with a bit of size and snarl - Flames could potentially use it against some of the bigger and nastier teams out there if they were to run into them in the playoffs.

I don't think Lazar is going anywhere. I am actually quite interested to see how he does when he returns to the lineup at some point. He has a tonne of speed, grit and defensive acumen to help this team from a depth role, and if he has developed his offensive game a bit this season, he can be more than just a depth player.

I really like the depth that the Flames have built on forwards with Lazar, Mangiapane, Czarnik, Rychel, Quine, Robinson, Foo - and of course Dube. They still have Lomberg and Peluso in case a series starts getting nasty and a message has to be sent. These are all guys with some NHL experience at least who could potentially come in and fill a spot in case of injury without hurting the team. That's important.

Defence is where this team is a bit suspect organizationally. I suspect that is where the focus will be on heading towards the trade deadline. Maybe goaltending if a cheap backup becomes available, but even then I doubt it. For as poorly as Smith has been doing, I would have loved Smith during the Kipper era. Flames couldn't find a reliable backup to save their lives, and suffered because of it (IMO) with losing a divisional title or two and having to face a tougher opponent from the get-go. Smith has been winning games for the Flames - maybe some argue in spite of Smith, but I have noticed him making big saves at key times to keep the Flames in it, even if he did let a softie in previously. He is also rumoured to be great in the room.

Still hope the Flames get Stone or Schenn, however. One can dream. Maroon will be cheap, and fills the grit/depth angle, and it shouldn't be difficult finding a depth defencemen somewhere for the left side. I think Treliving just makes two relatively minor moves this trade deadline, barring any significant injury (knock on wood).
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Calgary4LIfe For This Useful Post:
Old 01-20-2019, 10:53 PM   #7564
Matty81
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

I don't personally buy in to the approach of folks who focus purely on analytics but there was an analytics based article on the athletic recently that had Hathaway as the flames worst forward based on advanced stats by a good margin and I agree even though his pk skills are very good that for me that's the spot to upgrade. If you could upgrade on the 2nd line rw slot and bump frolik down to play with Ryan you improve two lines significantly.

The other weak spots were bottom pairing left d (once you have stone back at rd) and obviously backup goalie.

I'd like to see the flames get a serviceable ld for the bottom pairing/press box... A star AHL goalie to cover off the team if smith tanks or someone gets injured and really spend most of its capital on a 2nd line rw. Preferably someone who could be there long term. Probably pipe dream but that would be the ideal deadline for me.
Old 01-20-2019, 10:54 PM   #7565
jayswin
Celebrated Square Root Day

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolfman View Post
I am willing to go after Simmonds. As long as it doesn't cost a 1st. If it does you walk away.
I'm curious as to why? It's very obvious watching him that he's done. You would pay a significant asset to get him and you wouldn't get anything out of it.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to jayswin For This Useful Post:
Old 01-20-2019, 11:51 PM   #7566
Matty81
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Nm wrong thread

Last edited by Matty81; 01-20-2019 at 11:58 PM.
Old 01-20-2019, 11:58 PM   #7567
trackercowe
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by dammage79 View Post
Kunitz today is like trading for Freddy Modin back in the day.
Foss has said numerous times Kunitz is finished and he's been awful in Chicago. I think I'll take his word for it. Do not want!
Old 01-21-2019, 12:28 AM   #7568
Matty81
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Lots of talk the devils are going to be sellers shortly... A guy I think would be a great fit for a second line upgrade is Kyle Palmieri. I don't think the devils would move him for less than an overpay with him on such a team friendly deal but I wonder if he could be had for a package of picks and assets that stings a little if the devils don't see themselves contending in the next 2 seasons.

Probably a reach but would be a nice target... Fast, skilled, playoff experience, decent advanced stats.

Last edited by Matty81; 01-21-2019 at 12:30 AM.
Old 01-21-2019, 12:28 AM   #7569
Karl
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by trackercowe View Post
Foss has said numerous times Kunitz is finished and he's been awful in Chicago. I think I'll take his word for it. Do not want!
dammage79 was implying that acquiring Kunitz is a terrible idea. No need to tell him you disagree with wanting to get Kunitz.

Last edited by Karl; 01-21-2019 at 12:30 AM.
Old 01-21-2019, 12:30 AM   #7570
Karl
Franchise Player

Exp:

Kunitz is roadkill and Simmonds is also close to being done.

Do not want either of them.
The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to Karl For This Useful Post:
Old 01-21-2019, 06:42 AM   #7571
Monahammer
Franchise Player

Exp:

Schenn-stone- e. Staal- maybe silfverberg are the only forward additions we should be supporting imo. Schenn gets the bonus because hes a c-w combo.

A vet ld might be nice but we need to find one that's in the sweet spot and is ok playing infrequently. I'd rather keep the rookies going, I feel like their confidence is infectious for the team.

Backup goalie is still the biggest need. I dont buy the smith good in the room stuff- it's been reported as the opposite everywhere else he has played. The guys also play differently in front of him-- either means they're not confident in him or they're afraid of pissing him off by doing something he doesn't like on the ice. Either way, not needed anymore. I would look into someone like jimmy howard who might not be expensive.
Old 01-21-2019, 06:48 AM   #7572
Wolfman
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by jayswin View Post
I'm curious as to why? It's very obvious watching him that he's done. You would pay a significant asset to get him and you wouldn't get anything out of it.
I agree. A change of scenery with chances at the playoffs might do him good, but you're right...it would cost too much.
Old 01-21-2019, 07:02 AM   #7573
Vinny01
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by jayswin View Post
I would go for Simmonds if we are not including a 1st, Dube, or one of our rookie Dmen. Might make the deal tough to pull off but for a 2020 2nd and Mangiapane or something I would get behind that. Adds some toughness with skill for the playoffs.

If we are looking at rentals Simmonds and Ferland peak my interest as mid level guys to target.
Old 01-21-2019, 09:02 AM   #7574
1_Flames_Fan
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

I think Simmonds can still play and a change of scenery might turn his season around a bit. If you can add him without giving up a first or upset the roster much it's still worth considering. That being said there are lots of other guys that may be available cheaper that could fill a similar role.
The Following User Says Thank You to 1_Flames_Fan For This Useful Post:
Old 01-21-2019, 11:31 AM   #7575
Nelson
First Line Centre

Exp:

It's not worth much because this is from Eklund, but he's suggesting the fact that the Flames have been scouting the NYR a lot means they are probably one of the top destinations for Mats Zuccarello.

I like Zuccarello as I posted a while back, but it really depends on the cost. I've heard the rumored price is a 2nd and a prospect. That seems like a bit much. However, the numbers suggest he is very good at suppressing shots and goals against even though he plays against high-level competition. The caveat I should add is that I haven't watched the guy play very much. Has anyone seen him play a lot this season? Does he look good?

The problem is trading for Zuccarello really doesn't address a need. It would make a lot more sense if the Flames hadn't signed Neal. But he would give the Flames lots of depth.

Gaudreau - Monahan - Lindholm
Tkachuk - Backlund - Frolik
Bennett - Jankowski - Zuccarello
Mangiapane/Czarnik/Hathaway - Ryan - Neal
The Following User Says Thank You to Nelson For This Useful Post:
Old 01-21-2019, 11:44 AM   #7576
Enoch Root
Franchise Player

Exp:

Personally, I want the Flames to hold tight (other than maybe some cheap goalie insurance), but if they are going to tinker (and can't score Stone), Zuccarello probably isn't the worst choice.

What I like is that he has lots of speed. And I would like to see them add even more. Zuccarello would be an upgrade on Mangiapane on the 4th line, that's for sure.

Johnny - Mony - Lindholm
Chucky - Backs - Frolik
Bennett - Janko - Neal
Zuccarello - Ryan - Hathaway
Mangiapane, Dube, Quine

That's a pretty deep lineup for the playoffs.

And you could move Zuccarello onto Backlund's line and free up Tkachuk. Lot's of options.

How about this?:

Gaudreau - Monahan - Lindholm
Tkachuk - Jankowski - Bennett
Zuccarello - Ryan - Neal
Frolik - Backlund - Hathaway

or Dube - Backlund - Frolik

(don't get hung up on line numbers, all about matching)
Old 01-21-2019, 11:54 AM   #7577
TheoFleury
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

I think this team needs another power forward personally. I will keep beating the Schenn drum, but would accept Ferland back as well (but I'd pay more for Schenn). A guy like Zuccarello would be a nice to have versus what we need IMO. I think a matchup against a team like Winnipeg with all their size would be greatly aided with an injection of size into the middle 6.
Old 01-21-2019, 11:54 AM   #7578
Flash Walken
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Hmm, I think Zuccarello would be a dynamite fit on the 2nd line.

Can hold, distribute and finish.

i mean, ####, he looks like tkachuk out there already:

Old 01-21-2019, 12:00 PM   #7579
TheoFleury
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

He's a good player but everyone looks good in highlights when they are scoring. A medium/undersized winger just isn't what we need and I'm usually a proponent of skill over size. I really think BT will try to add more beef than guy like zuc provides.
Old 01-21-2019, 12:00 PM   #7580
transplant99
Fearmongerer

Location: Wondering when # became hashtag and not a number sign.
Exp:

Zucarello is a really good player and i have been banging his drum a a while now, but he would actually make this team even smaller than it is now....not sure thats what you want going into what is expected to be a decently long playoff run.