Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-28-2022, 01:10 PM   #21
Weitz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cycling76er View Post
This must be an Alberta thing. 80k is damned good money around these parts (and most of Canada I would assume). Most people, myself included, can't just go out and find jobs that pay this much.
What do you do when you turn 35, have no job skills, and no longer can make $80k (or any money)?

They go because their careers are short.
Weitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2022, 01:16 PM   #22
FanIn80
GOAT!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weitz View Post
What do you do when you turn 35, have no job skills, and no longer can make $80k (or any money)?
Become a software developer.
FanIn80 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to FanIn80 For This Useful Post:
Old 09-28-2022, 01:23 PM   #23
CalgaryFan1988
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weitz View Post

They go because their careers are short.
That's what Cycling is saying, that 80k/year jobs are hard to find.

It's "Groot" that called 80k standard (even though the average household income in Alberta is 125k)

Last edited by CalgaryFan1988; 09-28-2022 at 01:25 PM.
CalgaryFan1988 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to CalgaryFan1988 For This Useful Post:
Old 09-28-2022, 02:26 PM   #24
Vansmack
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

I think groot was suggesting 80k for a AHL journeyman salary... Not just some random guy but working in Alberta.
Vansmack is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Vansmack For This Useful Post:
Old 09-28-2022, 02:36 PM   #25
dino7c
Franchise Player

Exp:

if you can't make a go of it on 80k you have some major money management issues...most likely you have an 80-100k depreciating asset you drive around

Last edited by dino7c; 09-28-2022 at 03:48 PM.
dino7c is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to dino7c For This Useful Post:
Old 09-28-2022, 03:22 PM   #26
midniteowl
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by FanIn80 View Post
Become a software developer.

Are you mocking software developer?
midniteowl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2022, 03:40 PM   #27
Derek Sutton
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlamesAddiction View Post
That is true for probably most of them. In the case of Tyler Ennis, he has career earnings of $32 million so I thought it was a little crazy to go there. Unless he is dumb, he should already be set up for life. He could have likely signed on in somewhere like Switzerland, Germany, Czechia, or Sweden if he still wanted to play for money and not be taking the huge risk. I realize that the KHL may pay more, but as winter mentioned, many of these guys are fathers and husbands first. That should override money every day.
Quote:
Originally Posted by N-E-B View Post
If you’re struggling on $80k/year in Alberta you’re probably living beyond your means. Even with the current inflation, it’s easily manageable.
Unless Tyler Ennis and his $32million earnings have 3 kids and an ex wife. $80k wouldn’t cover his annual child/ spousal support payments.

EDIT: I have no idea about Tyler Ennis’ personal life. Just using him as a hypothetical situation, one which anyone could find themselves in.
Old 09-28-2022, 11:28 PM   #28
FanIn80
GOAT!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by midniteowl View Post
Are you mocking software developer?
Haha, no, I am one.
FanIn80 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to FanIn80 For This Useful Post:
Old 09-28-2022, 11:39 PM   #29
Buff
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by dino7c View Post
if you can't make a go of it on 80k you have some major money management issues...most likely you have an 80-100k depreciating asset you drive around
Before or after taxes and deductions?

Individual or family? How many family members?

Living in Calgary or small rural town? It varies from person to person, family to family.

Just to say if you can't make a god of it on 80k is a blanket statement.
Buff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2022, 11:45 PM   #30
iggy_oi
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by dino7c View Post
You can make a go of it in Calgary on $50k, that doesn’t mean the go is gonna be all that great
iggy_oi is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to iggy_oi For This Useful Post:
Old 09-29-2022, 01:19 AM   #31
combustiblefuel
Franchise Player

Exp:

Leave Russia during losing war.. No ####.
combustiblefuel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2022, 01:19 AM   #32
GullFoss
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CalgaryFan1988 View Post
That's what Cycling is saying, that 80k/year jobs are hard to find.

It's "Groot" that called 80k standard (even though the average household income in Alberta is 125k)

I think the point the poster was making is that $80k for a hockey player isn't the same thing as $80k for a software guy because of career longevity. The software guy can code into his 60s so he is making $80k per year for 35-years. The hockey guy in the minors making $80k is probably retired by 35. And then they're probably looking at $40k per year after that unless they retool.
GullFoss is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to GullFoss For This Useful Post:
Old 09-29-2022, 01:21 AM   #33
combustiblefuel
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by FunkMasterFlame View Post
Ends up in jail? For playing hockey?

Are you new to how Russia works?
The Following User Says Thank You to combustiblefuel For This Useful Post:
Old 09-29-2022, 01:24 AM   #34
combustiblefuel
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
The only Western athlete I can think of being arrested by Russia was Brittney Griner, and that's because she was caught carrying drugs with her. I don't know of any other "political prisoner" athletes in Russia.

Not to say that they wouldn't do that. Just saying there's no recent history of that happening that I can remember at least.
She was allegedly caught with drugs just as the USA was pleding support to the Ukrainian army support. Timing seems on point.

Too be clear Britt grinder is trash as she beat up her wife previously but her arrest was right after the USA gave weapons.
Old 09-29-2022, 08:45 AM   #35
FunkMasterFlame
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by combustiblefuel View Post
She was allegedly caught with drugs just as the USA was pleding support to the Ukrainian army support. Timing seems on point.

Too be clear Britt grinder is trash as she beat up her wife previously but her arrest was right after the USA gave weapons.
There's nothing alleged about it. She was caught red-handed, plead guilty, and was convicted. That doesn't make her a political prisoner, it makes her a criminal prisoner.

Russia may do a lot of bad things, but rounding up Western athletes to use as pawns in prisoner swaps has not been one of them.
FunkMasterFlame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2022, 09:38 AM   #36
powderjunkie
Franchise Player

Exp:

Do other Euro leagues have limits on the number of import players? Are there just not enough roster spots to go around in the leagues not operating under the auspices of a tyrannical ####head?

I also wonder if there is a bit of pride/ego at play...these guys probably could play in the AHL, too.

Quote:
There's nothing alleged about it. She was caught red-handed, plead guilty, and was convicted. That doesn't make her a political prisoner, it makes her a criminal prisoner.

Russia may do a lot of bad things, but rounding up Western athletes to use as pawns in prisoner swaps has not been one of them.
I never got into the weeds on that story, but the entire point of this thread is that we should be skeptical of Russian 'due process' and their legal system in general.
powderjunkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2022, 11:10 AM   #37
FlamesAddiction
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by powderjunkie View Post

I never got into the weeds on that story, but the entire point of this thread is that we should be skeptical of Russian 'due process' and their legal system in general.
I think even her American reps have admitted that she had cannabis products, but they were in the form of spent vape cartridges that she didn't clean out of her bag before she went to Russia. In the U.S. where she was from, they were legal however.

So yeah, technically a crime in Russia but the punishment is completely disproportionate for what she actually did. Countries that have inhumane and archaic justice systems like this should be called out for it. I am not saying she is a great person or a saint, or that she should not have received some punishment, but he punishment seems really disproportionate. I think the fact she is American and gay came into the punishment more than the actual crime.

Last edited by FlamesAddiction; 09-29-2022 at 11:57 AM.
FlamesAddiction is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to FlamesAddiction For This Useful Post:
Old 09-29-2022, 11:51 AM   #38
FunkMasterFlame
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlamesAddiction View Post
I think even her American reps have admitted that she had cannabis products, but they were in the form of spent vape cartridges that she didn't clean out of her bag before she went to Russia. In the U.S. where she was from, they were legal however.

So yeah, technically a crime in Russia but the punishment is completely disproportionate for what she actually did. Countries that have inhumane and archaic justice systems like this should be called out for it. I am not saying she is a great person or a saint, or that she should not have received some punishment, but he punishment seems really disproportionate. I think the fact she is America and gay came into the punishment more than the actual crime.
Of course its an outrageous and disproportionate punishment based on our laws and society, but she wasn't caught with them here.

Had she been caught with those vape cartridges in certain Asian or Middle Eastern countries should could have faced the death penalty.

Travelers should always always always be aware of, and respect the laws of the country they are visiting, especially when it comes to drugs or paraphernalia. It was a foolish decision on her part and unfortunately now she has to face the consequences of her actions.
FunkMasterFlame is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to FunkMasterFlame For This Useful Post:
Old 09-29-2022, 03:14 PM   #39
Bandwagon Surfer
Backup Goalie

Exp:

The Brittney Griner and if they have arrested foreigners yet is such a sidetrack. The question is not what has happened so far, it is what will happen next. The Canadian government sees risk of things getting worse in the future, so they are warning people about the future.

Look at the statements Russia is making, threatening further attacks and escalation. Hopefully Russia comes to their senses and stops trying to conquer and destroy other countries, but think about what could happen if they choose to escalate further.

What happens if Russia attacks a NATO country? What happens if the Ukrainians continue to successfully defend their families and Russia gets more desperate? What happens when Russia claims to annex territory then decides to use the nuclear option to "defend their country".

There are too many (unfortunately) far too likely scenarios where it would be very bad to be a foreigner trapped in Russia. Let alone a high profile foreigner. It is not like it is particularly easy to get out now.
Bandwagon Surfer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2022, 03:18 PM   #40
Roof-Daddy
Franchise Player

Exp:

I can't believe anyone would risk going to that country right now.

It's Russia and Putin. You could end up in a Russian military uniform on the front lines used for canon fodder.
Roof-Daddy is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
edmonton is no good , flee edmonton too