Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 09-17-2015, 10:34 AM   #1
Bingo
Owner

Exp:
Default ESPN Insider (not a member) on Worst Free Agents

Can't read it but the opening is puzzling.

http://insider.espn.go.com/nhl/insid...-offseason-nhl

Quote:
By and large, the perception within hockey's analytics community is that NHL front offices got things right this free agent season. Using a variety of statistical methods, the number-crunchers I polled could only find serious concerns with about a handful of deals, and could identify only two teams that might have made multiple errors -- Calgary and Colorado.

To arrive at these results, a diverse mega-panel of 34 prominent hockey statisticians was convened, and asked to either approve, disapprove, or express neutrality on this summer's 44 free-agent signings that involved an annual cap hit of at least $2 million, made on or after July 1. Each of these analysts used standards and approaches of their own choosing, but set aside unmeasurable factors such as heart, grit, leadership, and clutch play.
Huh?

Isn't Frolik the only signing, and a solid possession player?
Bingo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2015, 10:36 AM   #2
GranteedEV
Franchise Player

Exp:

I'm guessing they're talking about Bouma, but Bouma's analytics are very misleading so NBD.

"May those who accept their fate find happiness. May those who defy it find glory."
GranteedEV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2015, 10:36 AM   #3
Bandwagon In Flames
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

It's ESPN. They are more into TMZ style reporting than actually talking about sports.
Bandwagon In Flames is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Bandwagon In Flames For This Useful Post:
Old 09-17-2015, 10:42 AM   #4
Mitch
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

In the article they pinpoint Ramo as the 3rd worst signing with the concern that there were better goalies available for cheaper. The only backup for this was looking at save percentage so take it for what it's worth. Nothing in the article mentions Frolik or Bouma.
Mitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2015, 10:44 AM   #5
CroFlames
Franchise Player

Exp:

Ramo is probably overpaid. But he was already property of the Flames so they didn't give anything up to acquire him before signing him.

Flames aren't in cap trouble, so the signing works.
CroFlames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2015, 10:47 AM   #6
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CroFlames View Post
Ramo is probably overpaid. But he was already property of the Flames so they didn't give anything up to acquire him before signing him.

Flames aren't in cap trouble, so the signing works.
I was thinking it had to be Ramo, but after his play in the playoffs maybe they're expecting big things from him?

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
Locke is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2015, 10:48 AM   #7
devo22
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mitch View Post
In the article they pinpoint Ramo as the 3rd worst signing with the concern that there were better goalies available for cheaper. The only backup for this was looking at save percentage so take it for what it's worth. Nothing in the article mentions Frolik or Bouma.
what are the aforementioned "multiple errors" then, according to them?

Ramo might be overpaid, but it's a 1 year deal, so who cares?
devo22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2015, 10:48 AM   #8
freakinsaprikin
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Kari Ramo was number 3 on worst signings of the summer.

The main contention is that we could have got a goaltender with a better save percentage over the time he is been back in the NHL for much cheaper.

They used Griess and McElhinney as examples of Goalies with comparable, but better save percentages, over the same period that signed for less then 2 million.
freakinsaprikin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2015, 10:48 AM   #9
Parallex
I believe in the Jays.

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GranteedEV View Post
I'm guessing they're talking about Bouma
Maybe Ramo as well... If you see Ramo strictly as a back-up then he does cost way to much (although considering that the Flames were in no danger of going over the cap this year and it's just a 1 year deal I don't have a problem with it).
Parallex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2015, 10:49 AM   #10
GranteedEV
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by freakinsaprikin View Post

The main contention is that we could have got a goaltender with a better save percentage over the time he is been back in the NHL for much cheaper.

They used Griess and McElhinney as examples of Goalies with comparable, but better save percentages, over the same period that signed for less then 2 million.
Thing is, save percentages won't tell you which backup goaltenders can take over as starters, their mental makeup, their work ethic, how they perform when the book on them is out there, etc. That's why guys like Scrivens and Fasth have been such disasters up North. We know for a fact that Ramo is a proven goaltender whose save percentage is more an indictment on how bad our middle and bottom pairings were defensively than how "average" he is.

"May those who accept their fate find happiness. May those who defy it find glory."

Last edited by GranteedEV; 09-17-2015 at 10:52 AM.
GranteedEV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2015, 10:51 AM   #11
Ashasx
Franchise Player

Exp:

Their List:

1. Francois Beauchemin
2. Matt Beleskey
3. Karri Ramo
4. Paul Martin
5. Blake Comeau

HM: Brad Richardson, Eric Fehr

TBH, their justification is whack. Ramo got a one-year deal from a team that will have no trouble finding that space for this season. The goalie market this off-season saw backups traded for ridiculous prices. The Flames rightfully played it safe because our future number one is already inside the organization.

I would rathe overpay Ramo slightly (for one season) than give up assets for a backup from another team.

The article is also riddled with spelling mistakes and is not of the quality I come to expect from ESPN Insider.
Ashasx is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Ashasx For This Useful Post:
Old 09-17-2015, 10:52 AM   #12
Bandwagon In Flames
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by freakinsaprikin View Post

And that is exactly why you need to look at more than stats in this game..

McElhinney had a career year last year, but shows no signs of being an NHL starter. Ramo has already shown more in less NHL time.
Bandwagon In Flames is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Bandwagon In Flames For This Useful Post:
Old 09-17-2015, 10:57 AM   #13
undercoverbrother
Franchise Player

Exp:

Isn't ESPN's opinion on Hockey irrelevant?
undercoverbrother is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to undercoverbrother For This Useful Post:
Old 09-17-2015, 10:58 AM   #14
sureLoss
Some kinda newsbreaker!

Exp:

While it is ESPN, article is written by Rob Vollman. A guy who Rob Kerr brings on Fan 960 regularly.
sureLoss is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to sureLoss For This Useful Post:
Old 09-17-2015, 11:00 AM   #15
ComixZone
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mitch View Post
So we're singled out as one of the teams that made a huge mistake - and it's all because we signed a goalie who performed pretty well for us last season to a 1 year deal worth less than 4M?

ESPN, you just don't get it.
ComixZone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2015, 11:02 AM   #16
home_sweet_dome
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Bouma is the 2nd culprit on his list as he mentions Bouma in an example and says that contract just missed the top 5 list.

Personally i don't think either deal is really that bad.
home_sweet_dome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2015, 11:02 AM   #17
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ashasx View Post
Their List:

1. Francois Beauchemin
2. Matt Beleskey
3. Karri Ramo
4. Paul Martin
5. Blake Comeau

HM: Brad Richardson, Eric Fehr

TBH, their justification is whack. Ramo got a one-year deal from a team that will have no trouble finding that space for this season. The goalie market this off-season saw backups traded for ridiculous prices. The Flames rightfully played it safe because our future number one is already inside the organization.

I would rathe overpay Ramo slightly (for one season) than give up assets for a backup from another team.

The article is also riddled with spelling mistakes and is not of the quality I come to expect from ESPN Insider.
Pretty much this, and in the meantime we keep a known quantity instead of gambling on someone else.

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
Locke is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2015, 11:09 AM   #18
northcrunk
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by sureLoss View Post
While it is ESPN, article is written by Rob Vollman. A guy who Rob Kerr brings on Fan 960 regularly.
Vollman is one of the worst guests on the Fan and I've stopped listening to Kerr in the afternoons because of these guys he keeps bringing on. Vollman and Thoman Drance are the two people that make me change the station when they come on. If I don't I end up yelling at the radio.
northcrunk is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to northcrunk For This Useful Post:
Old 09-17-2015, 11:12 AM   #19
lambeburger
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ashasx View Post
Come to think of it, that's exactly what I come to expect from an ESPN Insider covering hockey.
lambeburger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2015, 11:20 AM   #20
socktape
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by sureLoss View Post
Rob's a habs fan. What does he know!
socktape is offline   Reply With Quote