Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum > Tech Talk
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-11-2019, 09:46 AM   #601
Jimmy Stang
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mazrim View Post
Another extended service outage in the South. It was a month and a half when this last happened. At least this time Shaw was willing to say what the problem was so I knew right away it was going to be a long wait.

I had about 10 years of basically no problems whatsoever, so it's a bit weird to have two extremely long outages in a short time.
A couple of years ago we had a number of significant outages at our office, mostly unplanned and some lengthy. They were really chewing up the Currie Barracks where our office is with new development, and that led to a lot of interruptions. Things have been good lately though.

Are your outages due to development or are they more random?
Jimmy Stang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2019, 09:56 AM   #602
Mazrim
CP Gamemaster

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimmy Stang View Post
Are your outages due to development or are they more random?
Knowing the answer to that would require Shaw to tell us where the break was. The very generic "South Calgary and surrounding area" is all you get for that part. At least they told us quickly that it was another fibre line break.
Mazrim is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Mazrim For This Useful Post:
Old 01-11-2019, 06:23 PM   #603
jroc
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quick question as I'm very new to BlueSky. Is there a button on the remote for a 30 second skip forward? So far I'm only able to ffwd.

Thanks!
jroc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2019, 07:02 PM   #604
Diemenz
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by jroc View Post
Quick question as I'm very new to BlueSky. Is there a button on the remote for a 30 second skip forward? So far I'm only able to ffwd.

Thanks!
Exit, exit, exit
Ok

That will make page up skip 30 seconds and page down skip 15 seconds.

Edit:
If it screws up (whenever they update it) do this to reset it and reprogram it.
Exit , exit, exit
Ok
Exit, exit, exit
Ok

Last edited by Diemenz; 01-11-2019 at 07:06 PM.
Diemenz is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Diemenz For This Useful Post:
Old 01-13-2019, 11:44 AM   #605
jroc
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diemenz View Post
Exit, exit, exit
Ok

That will make page up skip 30 seconds and page down skip 15 seconds.

Edit:
If it screws up (whenever they update it) do this to reset it and reprogram it.
Exit , exit, exit
Ok
Exit, exit, exit
Ok
I gave this a try and it didn't seem to work. Essentially it just brought me to a search for ESPN's 30 for 30. Should I be trying this on a certain screen?
jroc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2019, 01:42 PM   #606
Diemenz
First Line Centre

Exp:

No special screen needed.

Have you tried to see if it’s working?
Old 01-14-2019, 09:24 PM   #607
Galakanokis
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Anyone running a sound bar with the Shaw Bluesky remote? I want to pick up a new sound bar (my toshiba doesn't work with the remote) that will actually work with the Bluesky remote. Anyone using a sound bar with the shaw remote control? Please let me know.
Galakanokis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2019, 07:45 AM   #608
Esoteric
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Galakanokis View Post
Anyone running a sound bar with the Shaw Bluesky remote? I want to pick up a new sound bar (my toshiba doesn't work with the remote) that will actually work with the Bluesky remote. Anyone using a sound bar with the shaw remote control? Please let me know.
I use a soundbar with my Bluesky remote, but it's set up with ARC passthrough. Works great, but I can't speak to how it would perform without this function.
Esoteric is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Esoteric For This Useful Post:
Old 01-15-2019, 08:04 AM   #609
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Anyone have trouble with the XB6 and a vpn? Trying to help a user at home connect to our company vpn, and this device appears to be the issue, as near as I can tell. I see that it has some sort of firewall, but I can't find a user manual anywhere on how to configure it.
Fuzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2019, 08:21 AM   #610
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Well Shaw doesn't have a manual either...ugh. And they are no help since they don't support VPN's. Does anyone have this modem, could grab a screenshot of the firewall config, or see if there are tic boxes for VPN passthrough?
Old 01-15-2019, 08:22 AM   #611
Diemenz
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuzz View Post
Anyone have trouble with the XB6 and a vpn? Trying to help a user at home connect to our company vpn, and this device appears to be the issue, as near as I can tell. I see that it has some sort of firewall, but I can't find a user manual anywhere on how to configure it.
What protocol is the company vpn using? I imagine the xb6 doesn’t support PPTP passthrough and if the company VPN doesn’t support NAT translation that might be a nightmare.

You could try setting up a split VPN (could work) to gain access, I had to do similar to use some device while on VPN before changing to the velop system.

You also might be lucky enough to just be able to change the XB6 DNS servers to google or open DNS and hope that it was Shaw blocking the connection and not the VPN using ancient protocols.

Both are complete shots in the dark as I am far from a networking expert.
Old 01-15-2019, 09:00 AM   #612
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

This is the screenshot so I suspect it isn't a Shaw DNS issue, just a setting on this thing. The Shaw chat guy said:
I do know it is within Advanced and IP Passthrough or Port Forwarding. She would have to call us and add a second IP address to her account.

Which doesn't make sense either. You don't need a separate IP for VPN passthrough.

Sadly yes, still using PPTP, but I'm hopefully going to get that changed this month so maybe I'll tell her to wait...
Old 01-15-2019, 09:04 AM   #613
cam_wmh
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by TorqueDog View Post
Software throttling to force people to buy new and what Apple did are two completely different things.

Apple was throttling the processors in iPhones once their batteries had degraded to a certain point and the phone experienced an unexpected shutdown because of the battery degradation. Mine was around 83% in my SE when it first happened, and if I decided to undo the throttling, the phone's battery life suffered for it since... y'know, the battery is almost 20% toast.

In newer versions of iOS (after everyone went mental about it), you can revert the throttling after it is applied if you so desire. But they also provided a cheaper replacement cost for iPhone batteries because of the outcry, so that's not too bad. I know it's cool to hate on Apple for it, but it really does make sense. By allowing the phone to throttle itself, it actually extends the usable life of the device at the cost of some performance.

As for the other scenario, just one person finds out and you have a class action lawsuit on your hands. The reality is that -- over time -- software gets bloated. There's code in there to support legacy implementations, new features, more stuff being done in the background. Windows 3.1 came on six 1.44MB floppy disks. Windows XP came on a 6xx MB CD-ROM. Windows 7 and later all come on a single-layer DVD around 4.3x GB. But Windows 7 took around 10 GB of disk space once installed and Windows 10 takes double that at 20 GB.

Barring some really awesome software and driver optimizations, newer software almost always has higher system requirements because it tends to do more stuff and usually brings legacy code with it. It's probably the biggest challenge Microsoft has with Windows 10... legacy support for applications that some of their biggest enterprise and government customers need to run.

So while it's a fun conspiracy theory, it just isn't likely in the majority of cases.
This is an older post, so I can't thank it. Doing so with this THANKS! Well written.
cam_wmh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2019, 10:09 AM   #614
Jimmy Stang
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Well Shaw doesn't have a manual either...ugh. And they are no help since they don't support VPN's. Does anyone have this modem, could grab a screenshot of the firewall config, or see if there are tic boxes for VPN passthrough?
This may not be the answer you want to hear but... considering getting your own router and bridging your modem. Life is better when Shaw is just the ISP and you control your own network.
The Following User Says Thank You to Jimmy Stang For This Useful Post:
Old 01-15-2019, 10:18 AM   #615
Diemenz
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimmy Stang View Post
This may not be the answer you want to hear but... considering getting your own router and bridging your modem. Life is better when Shaw is just the ISP and you control your own network.
Completely agree.

The Shaw hardware is extremely limited
Old 01-15-2019, 10:25 AM   #616
Diemenz
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:

This is the screenshot so I suspect it isn't a Shaw DNS issue, just a setting on this thing. The Shaw chat guy said:
I do know it is within Advanced and IP Passthrough or Port Forwarding. She would have to call us and add a second IP address to her account.

Which doesn't make sense either. You don't need a separate IP for VPN passthrough.

Sadly yes, still using PPTP, but I'm hopefully going to get that changed this month so maybe I'll tell her to wait...
Ah Shaw techs haha.

I only suggested dns changing because Shaw’s dns blocks a lot of servers (like reddit, twitters backend etc) And I thought that might be the issue. Knowing your on PPTP I can assume using the XB6 to connect to that VPN will not work, as it does not seem to have support for that protocol or L2TP as far as I know (I’m guessing here this isn’t for certain).

Like the post above mentioned. Get a new router and bridge the Shaw modem and this problem will go away.
Old 01-15-2019, 10:42 AM   #617
Galakanokis
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Esoteric View Post
I use a soundbar with my Bluesky remote, but it's set up with ARC passthrough. Works great, but I can't speak to how it would perform without this function.
ARC is not option unfortunately. Perhaps I should just upgrade the damn TV's. I really like sound bars and hope to find one the works but Shaw support is minimal at best here.
Galakanokis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2019, 10:44 AM   #618
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Well ya, if it were me I'd bridge the modem. But it's for a co-worker who has zero -1 technical abilities, and I don't really feel like going to her place to try to fix it. I was hoping to make a screenshot guide with "click here", but since Arris doesn't feel like they need to make a manual, it's proving tricky.
Old 01-15-2019, 11:14 AM   #619
Raekwon
First Line Centre

Exp:

Seems like Airdrie is out also
Raekwon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2019, 11:28 AM   #620
Jimmy Stang
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Well ya, if it were me I'd bridge the modem. But it's for a co-worker who has zero -1 technical abilities, and I don't really feel like going to her place to try to fix it. I was hoping to make a screenshot guide with "click here", but since Arris doesn't feel like they need to make a manual, it's proving tricky.
Apologies - I completed skipped over the part bout it being for a user at home.