Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-02-2022, 01:45 PM   #201
GreenLantern2814
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fire View Post
The cap is going up only $1 million next season. Then probably $4 million a season for the next couple of seasons. They can't afford to overpay by much.
Pending UFAs

2023: Lucic, Lewis, Weegar
2024: Backlund, Toffoli, Lindholm, Hanifin, Tanev, Zadorov, Kylington

Lucic’s money off the books pays for Huberdeau’s raise on its own.

Trade one of Toffoli/Zadorov for futures and that pays for Weegar.

To keep Lindholm and Hanifin will likely cost Backlund and Kylington, but Backlund will be 36 by then, and he’ll be an ideal candidate to come back on the cheap.

Tanev will have a ton of mileage on him as a 35 year old. Probably best to walk away at that point.

I dunno. I’m not seeing anything on the cap page that’s an insurmountable obstacle to keeping this core together.
Old 10-02-2022, 02:43 PM   #202
USflamesfan
Backup Goalie

Exp:

I am still amazed there isn't more leakage about why there is no agreement yet. Is that bad news or good news?
USflamesfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2022, 02:59 PM   #203
AC
Resident Videologist

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by USflamesfan View Post
I am still amazed there isn't more leakage about why there is no agreement yet. Is that bad news or good news?
Quote:
I am surprised that there is not more leaking from this negotiation?
Quote:
Trying to keep this thread at the top: any New news on Weegar extension?
Quote:
Any news on Weegar extension? Hopefully this week?
Quote:
Is it just me or is anyone else longing for a little more insight into the Weegar extension or lack therof. Surely there is someone that can leak a little more out there?
Quote:
It is seemingly increasingly unlikely that Weegar signs an extension. Surely someone has inside info? I havent seen anything in awhile..
Quote:
I am surprised how there is no rumours of the Weegar talks.

It'll either happen, or it won't... stop worrying so much about it.
AC is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 16 Users Say Thank You to AC For This Useful Post:
Old 10-02-2022, 03:00 PM   #204
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Definitely hard to tell. It could be either.

They could have a deal in place that just isnt signed but its a 'formality' granted I dont think Treliving is going to fall for that again, or they could be miles apart.

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
Locke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2022, 03:08 PM   #205
USflamesfan
Backup Goalie

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by AC View Post

It'll either happen, or it won't... stop worrying so much about it.
Pops a Xanax...
Old 10-02-2022, 03:09 PM   #206
Calgary4LIfe
Franchise Player

Exp:

There was very little leverage with Huberdeau. Treliving was negotiating with both hands tied behind his back, and his mouth taped-shut.

Tkachuk for Huberdeau, Schwindt and a 1st (that I think has a great shot at being a very high first) is still a great deal for Tkachuk. Add Weegar for 82 games (if healthy) plus playoffs is another way to look at it. If he signs, that's a bonus. I would rather Treliving have the leverage again so that he can ice the best possible team down the road as well.
Calgary4LIfe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2022, 03:09 PM   #207
topfiverecords
Franchise Player

Exp:

Is USflamesfan Weegar’s agent?
topfiverecords is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to topfiverecords For This Useful Post:
Old 10-02-2022, 07:33 PM   #208
Sutter_in_law
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by topfiverecords View Post
Is USflamesfan Weegar’s agent?
Gaudreauvertime 2.0
Sutter_in_law is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2022, 08:27 PM   #209
Enoch Root
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ForeverFlameFan View Post
With the rumors of the cap going up significantly I hope we can lock him in pronto.
If you keep overpaying, simply because the cap is going up, you'll never be in a good cap situation
Enoch Root is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2022, 08:45 PM   #210
The Cobra
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
How could no contract ever be good news?

We heard all year from some that Johnny was basically signed and they were just waiting for the stampede parade or whatever to announce it.
The Cobra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2022, 10:45 PM   #211
Robbob
Franchise Player

Exp:

Treliving and agents have always said that what gets things moving is that deadline. We are still around 10 days before the Flames play their first game. If that line in the sand is the first game, then Treliving is going to wait closer to that date. Even then it is a soft deadline as it is probably a lot of posturing by the agent and the player. It will get done the day before the home opener.
Robbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2022, 07:31 AM   #212
USflamesfan
Backup Goalie

Exp:

I am newer on here and what I am really going for is info from those on this forum that seem to have inside knowledge of where things are at. It seemed like that was the case with Huberdeau and others. All we are depending on is an Eric Francis article. Meaning, no one really knows anything except that both sides want it done. It's a little more stressful since Gaudreau obviously.
Old 10-03-2022, 08:29 AM   #213
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
I am newer on here and what I am really going for is info from those on this forum that seem to have inside knowledge of where things are at. It seemed like that was the case with Huberdeau and others. All we are depending on is an Eric Francis article. Meaning, no one really knows anything except that both sides want it done. It's a little more stressful since Gaudreau obviously.
There is still over a week to get things done so still plenty of time. If it doesn't I assume that Weegar and his agent are simply asking for too much money and/or term given that Treliving has been pretty reasonable with the Huberdeau and Kadri contracts. Like most fans I would like to see him signed but the contract has to work for the Flames as there will be a point in 5 years where the team has a lot of players closing into their mid-30's and Treliving needs to be careful that the team doesn't get handcuffed like the Sharks currently are.
Erick Estrada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2022, 10:16 AM   #214
The Cobra
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erick Estrada View Post
There is still over a week to get things done so still plenty of time. If it doesn't I assume that Weegar and his agent are simply asking for too much money and/or term given that Treliving has been pretty reasonable with the Huberdeau and Kadri contracts. Like most fans I would like to see him signed but the contract has to work for the Flames as there will be a point in 5 years where the team has a lot of players closing into their mid-30's and Treliving needs to be careful that the team doesn't get handcuffed like the Sharks currently are.
I think we can assume that in 4-5 years the Flames will be severely handcuffed.

That's the nature of signing players to long term contracts who are reaching (or have reached) 30.

My view is, one more bad contract in 5 years won't make much difference.
The Cobra is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to The Cobra For This Useful Post:
Old 10-03-2022, 10:27 AM   #215
MrMike
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Cobra View Post

That's the nature of signing players to long term contracts who are reaching (or have reached) 30.

It depends really on how Kadri and Huberdeau age. Hopefully not like Benn and Seguin.
MrMike is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to MrMike For This Useful Post:
Old 10-03-2022, 10:31 AM   #216
saillias
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Pops a Xanax...
keeps the thread on topic and is relevant, i don't mind it. would rather see those regular bumps then wading through some tangent duel between poster enemies over whether Warrener or Sarich was better or something
saillias is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2022, 10:42 AM   #217
Macho0978
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:

What's the definition of a bad contract too? IMO Lucic is a $2 mil player making $5.25 mil. That's a bad contract.

Backlund and Coleman are probably over paid but they are close to as good as they are getting paid. To me they both signed risky deals but they currently are not bad contracts.

With the cap projecting to go up by $10 mil in the next 3 off-seasons, you can make a case that Huberdeau could be a steal the first 5 years of his deal other than the 23/24 season where he will be paid fairly.

Even if Lindholm got $11 mil, Hanifin $9 mil and Weegar got $7 mil the only season it's tight is the 24/25 season. After that the cap looks good other than the age of Kadri for a few years. But will he be Lucic overpaid or Backlund overpaid? Still possible that with the cap increases that he is only sligtly over paid.
Macho0978 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2022, 11:06 AM   #218
GreenLantern2814
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

Maybe they’ll just be an extremely veteran team that can still win a round with experience and guile and some contributions from younger players.

Jonathan Huberdeau, in my limited viewing, plays an awful lot like a mixture of Alex Tanguay, Sid, and Jagr. He should be relatively a 75-95 point player for the first 5-6 years.

Barring injury, I don’t see a world where he’s not at least a 50 point powerplay wizard for the life of his deal. If he’s injured, that’s what LTIRetirement is for.

Same goes for Kadri - good-skating centres age better. Look at the Bruins. Look at most quality centres. They play for a long time. They think the game better, and they can adjust to declines in physical ability.

Which is something that doesn’t happen nearly as precipitously as some people act. A segment of the fan base thinks Backlund is has been on the decline for 7 years when in fact he’s been the exact same player. And he’ll probably be the exact same player this year and next.

Weegar at 8 years would expire when he’s 37.

It’s strange when 1st pair D don’t play that late in their careers.
GreenLantern2814 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2022, 11:09 AM   #219
Macho0978
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erick Estrada View Post
Teams that have signed 30 year olds to long term contract have also had to deal with modest cap increases. From 2015/2016 to 22/23 the cap has gone from $71.4 to $82.5 mil. $11.1 mil over 8 years vs a projected $10 mil cap increase over the next 3 years.

Also, from 2018/19 season to 22/23 the cap has increased $3 mil from $79.5 to $82.5 mil. 5 years is at least half of any 7/8 year deal signed back in 2018/19. To only get that kind of cap increase is killing teams but it's also not a normal 5 years of cap increases.

The Flames could still be sitting very good with the contracts they have with the projected cap increases.
Old 10-03-2022, 11:14 AM   #220
Macho0978
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenLantern2814 View Post
Maybe they’ll just be an extremely veteran team that can still win a round with experience and guile and some contributions from younger players.

Jonathan Huberdeau, in my limited viewing, plays an awful lot like a mixture of Alex Tanguay, Sid, and Jagr. He should be relatively a 75-95 point player for the first 5-6 years.

Barring injury, I don’t see a world where he’s not at least a 50 point powerplay wizard for the life of his deal. If he’s injured, that’s what LTIRetirement is for.

Same goes for Kadri - good-skating centres age better. Look at the Bruins. Look at most quality centres. They play for a long time. They think the game better, and they can adjust to declines in physical ability.

Which is something that doesn’t happen nearly as precipitously as some people act. A segment of the fan base thinks Backlund is has been on the decline for 7 years when in fact he’s been the exact same player. And he’ll probably be the exact same player this year and next.

Weegar at 8 years would expire when he’s 37.

It’s strange when 1st pair D don’t play that late in their careers.
No question in my mind if Huberdeau's contract kicked in now he's worth $10.5 mil in a $82.5 mil cap world. That is 12.73% of the cap. Apply that to future cap and he's looking very good for years.

23/24 - $83.5 * 12.73% - $10.63 mil 30 years old
24/25 - $88 * 12.73%- $11.2 mil 31 years old
25/26 - $92 * 12.73% - $11.71 32 years old

The cap beyond 25/26 will be interesting but Huberdeau will be under paid for the next 4 years.

If Kadri can prove that with an increased opportunity that last year was not a one off then he is currently under paid as well.

Weegar gets $7 mil or less he is under paid as well.